• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Here's a significant difference.

Rosalina didn't do much to the Mario series except add a narrative, something that the franchise never had that wasn't in a RPG.

Shadow almost killed the Sonic series by adding a darker element to the series or did not need but was a nice change of pace but the fanbase loved him so much and **** all over his sacrifice and brought him back alive and had started in his own game before Eggman ever did and screwed over a Sonic series by jumping the freaking Shark and the main badguy in Sonic 06 is a Shadow look a like.

Shadow almost screwed up and killed the Sonic series and Rosalina just made Mario much more interesting. That's why Edgy the Hedgy is in Spinoff Hell where he belongs

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
+NSMBU - Shows up everywhere
+NSLU - Playable
+Mario Golf: World Tour - Playable

+Smash 4 - Made it onto a stage where he's a Mini-Boss
+Mario Party 10 - Has his own Space where he helps MARIO'S Team and not the team who his own Bandana is signifying

+Paper Jam - Boss, source of Bros. Attacks and even joins your party at one point as an AI-Controlled Demigod
+Rio Olympics - Playable

Why was this guy not in Ultra Smash again? :4pacman:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
+NSLU - Playable

+Mario Party 10 - Has his own Space where he helps MARIO'S Team and not the team who his own Bandana is signifying

+Paper Jam - Boss, source of Bros. Attacks and even joins your party at one point as an AI-Controlled Demigod
+Rio Olympics - Playable

Because lol no budget

Rosalina didn't do much to the Mario series except add a narrative, something that the franchise never had that wasn't in a RPG.

Shadow almost killed the Sonic series by adding a darker element to the series or did not need but was a nice change of pace but the fanbase loved him so much and **** all over his sacrifice and brought him back alive and had started in his own game before Eggman ever did and screwed over a Sonic series by jumping the freaking Shark and the main badguy in Sonic 06 is a Shadow look a like.

Shadow almost screwed up and killed the Sonic series and Rosalina just made Mario much more interesting. That's why Edgy the Hedgy is in Spinoff Hell where he belongs
I kinda feel like that's too harsh on Shadow, but what you could have brought up is how he gets a ****ton of flak, whereas Rosalina's only criticisms are 'overrated' and hentai

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
+NSLU - Playable

+Rio Olympics - Playable

Because the roster didn't have room for so many awesomeness.
No really, there were only three newcomers, and Nabbit wouldn't be as WTF as Sprixie nor as requested as Rosa or as easy to make as Toadette.

EDIT:
What Anna said

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Same can be said about Shadow's brooding personality
Maria and Rosalina's mother
She makes the super guide stuff and made a black hole
Again, same can be said about Shadow, his own game was a spinoff, All Stars Racing was a spinoff, and 06 was retconned from existing
Dude, have you SEEN the furry fandom with Shadow? He's actually somewhat right
>Not really at all. He was only like this in his titular game
>Which point are you replying to there?
>When did she do that?
>Shadow the Hedgehog is canon
>I try to stay as far away from there is possible
She was also used to sell Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, judging this fan fave contest.
The positives consist of: "nice graphics" and "rosalina in a miniskirt"

http://www.nintendo.com/fanfaves/#/mario-tennis-ultra-smash

Better example than being DLC along with Gold Mario and Nabbit.
...I can pretend I have real friends to play with using the power of amiibo™!– Bryko, New York

1. Ever played Mario Sunshine? That had a narrative, plus voice acting.

2. Shadow never almost killed the franchise. Sega is the one who decided to go darker. It wasn't that Shadow forced Sega to make his own game. Sega just tried to capitalize on his popularity.

3. Shadow isn't in "spin-off hell". He was in Generations as a boss. He was in Colors DS. He was in Rivals 1 and 2. He's missed out on one mainline game in the past years (Lost World)

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Because lol no budget

I kinda feel like that's too harsh on Shadow, but what you could have brought up is how he gets a ****ton of flak, whereas Rosalina's only criticisms are 'overrated' and hentai
It is but man, the Shadow circlejerk from 2003-2007 ruined Sonic for quite a bit.

In every medium. Especially Sonic X

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Because lol no budget
Speaking of
Mario Kart 8's DLC Roster
Instead of Bowser Jr. (Who people literally rioted over when the Koopalings were in but not him), Kirby (SAKURAIIIIIIIIIIII) and Shooby Dooby Nibbity Bibbity Nibblet (As previously discussed), we got Mario #4, Peach #4 and Bowser #9#2 because some unknown reason
Dry Bowser I kinda get because he's badass as hell + Mario Kart Wii
But I'd much prefered if we got B. Junes over him
That way we could get the Fan Favorites (B. Junes, Nibbles and Link) for DLC Pack 1 and the Adorable Trio (The two Mayors, Isabelle and Kirby) for DLC Pack 2

But y'know
Beggars can't be choosers :drshrug:
Something-Something CAPTAIN FALCON

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
It is but man, the Shadow circlejerk from 2003-2007 ruined Sonic for quite a bit.

In every medium. Especially Sonic X
You're implying that Sonic X needed Shadow to ruin the show. It didn't. It already had Chris to ruin the show.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Especially Sonic X
Wasn't there this one episode where the Clip before the GATTA GO FEST Intro was Shadow pointing a gun to Plant-Lady's head
I fondly remember that part specifically.
I also remember how terrifying Sonic Unleashed's "BY DAY, BY NIGHT" trailer was when I was a wee lad watching 4Kids for Kirby Right Back at Ya
Whoops

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
>Not really at all. He was only like this in his titular game
>Which point are you replying to there?
>When did she do that?
>Shadow the Hedgehog is canon
>I try to stay as far away from there is possible

...I can pretend I have real friends to play with using the power of amiibo™!– Bryko, New York

1. Ever played Mario Sunshine? That had a narrative, plus voice acting.

2. Shadow never almost killed the franchise. Sega is the one who decided to go darker. It wasn't that Shadow forced Sega to make his own game. Sega just tried to capitalize on his popularity.

3. Shadow isn't in "spin-off hell". He was in Generations as a boss. He was in Colors DS. He was in Rivals 1 and 2. He's missed out on one mainline game in the past years (Lost World)
Healways, ALWAYS acts moody, with his arms crossed, going 'hmpph!' all the damn time
The one you didn't know
No it's ****ing not
Still exists
3. Shadow isn't in "spin-off hell"
He was in Rivals 1 and 2.

Rivals is a spinoff
I LIKE Shadow and don't care about Rosalina, but I have to agree with SBrawler on this

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Healways, ALWAYS acts moody, with his arms crossed, going 'hmpph!' all the damn time
The one you didn't know
No it's ****ing not
Still exists

Rivals is a spinoff
I LIKE Shadow and don't care about Rosalina, but I have to agree with SBrawler on this
But what if Rosalina gets a spinoff on NX?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Erased all the points I agree with
>When was Rosalina ever used to sell game? Shadow yeah. He had... let's not talk about that. But I've never seen Rosalina sell games (I don't mean that literally)
>Rosalina dos have a backstory, but in terms of personality, she's about as one note as you can get. She was nice and the Lumas' mother, but that's about all there is to her character
>I don't know what this one is supposed to say. Explain plz
>Honestly, unless I'm forgetting something, all she really did in Galaxy was stand around and tell Mario stuff.
>In Mario Kart, literally everyone can right a motorcycle. She never does that in the canon games.
>Really:glare:?
1) People simply buy games just because Rosalina is in them, even if the reception to the actual games is divided or lukewarm, like with Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash. And again, Rosalina has been standalone, premium DLC, something Shadow hasn't ever had to my knowledge (stuff like microtransactions in mobile games doesn't count since you can still unlock him naturally through playing the games).

2) I could literally write an essay on this and how it's wrong, but I won't do that, this is purely you making a biased assumption. To name a few things, Rosalina is portrayed as motherly and sweet, powerful, tough, and strong-willed, intelligent and wise, competitive and particularly sassy and even slightly disturbing at times, aloof and detached yet sentimental and capable of forming close bonds, and nonchalant in situations that would greatly frighten a normal character. This is a wide array of character traits, some of which contrast with each other, and it isn't even everything.

3) Shadow deluded himself to thinking Maria wanted him to take revenge on humanity instead of protecting it. Rosalina deluded herself into believing her family was still alive out in space, being part of the motivation for why she left her home planet with Luma. Both characters later learn they had completely deluded themselves and repressed the true memories related to their loved ones, and upon realising it, come to accept their situation and it motivates them to live a more positive, progressive existence.

4) Rosalina saves Mario twice in Galaxy canonically (along with everybody else in the game's ending), will save him if he attempts to jump off the Observatory in-game, provides him with a base of operations for him and a hostel for his friends, takes him to the final battle with Bowser and single-handedly destroys Bowser's entire air fleet in doing so. She is also portrayed as having impenetrable barrier magic. In the storybook, she repaired Luma's spaceship and built the Observatory's buildings herself. In Galaxy 2, she can take over Mario's mind and guide him through levels through projecting her own spirit to wherever he is (meaning she doesn't have to physically be there to do so). She also sends him lives like Peach does IIRC in Galaxy 2. She is also consistently one of the best playable characters stat wise in games where varying stats are a factor. She's a Power Class in sports games, having physical strength on par with Bowser (undeniable in Ultra Smash, since she physically uses the racket and even wields it one-handed at all times, unlike most other characters. Her shot power also beats real-life world records). She has an entire universe within her gown and attacks by kicking galaxies out of it and causing spacial distortions with her hands (depicted in Smash and stated by Sakurai). She is portrayed as "nonchalant" to taking damage, and her Final Smash is the most powerful move in the entire game in terms of raw damage and knockback, including bosses, if used properly (it can do up to just over 300%). And if that wasn't enough, her amiibo bio literally states that she can and will protect the universe from anyone, regardless of their power, she's that powerful:

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/detail/rosalina-amiibo-super-smash-bros-series

5) Rosalina is stats wise, best compatible with inside-drift motorcycles, and official artwork and bios state she prefers the heavy bikes and ATVs over Karts.

6) Really really. :p

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
But what if Rosalina gets a spinoff on NX?
Just another thing to compare her to Shadow, depending if it's good or not
You're implying that Sonic X needed Shadow to ruin the show. It didn't. It already had Chris to ruin the show.
There was an entire episode about Shadow trying to MURDER Cosmo. I also remember Shadow being VERY violent in the Metarex arc in general

MainJPW

M.T.A

II like the idea of Shadow being a sharp contrast to Sonic and all but obviously he isn't handled well.

I would actually like for his game to get a complete remake. I think if done well it would good for his character; just remove the overly serious tone, keep all the stages vibrant and remove the vehicles ( he's as fast as Sonic, he doesn't need them, heck none of them do except Eggman ) and guns ( maybe keep the cartoony guns like the Omochao gun but seriously, reserve those for Nack The Weasal lol ), and retcon those stupid aliens...or atleast redesign them to fit the series artstyle.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
He always, ALWAYS acts moody, with his arms crossed, going 'hmpph!' all the damn time
The one you didn't know
No it's ****ing not
Still exists

Rivals is a spinoff
Adventure 2? Heroes? He wasn't always lik that. I'd mention '06 too, but that's not canon anymore
Oh ok. Got it
What are you talking about? Shadow the Hedgehog's Final Story (or level, or whatever it's called) is canon
Yeah, ok.

No it's not. It's a platformer where you run and jump and spin dash and all that. It's as much of a mainline game as Advance and Rush.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
How to fix Shadow's game imo
Don't make the story try to take itself seriously. At the end of the day, it's still a giant cartoony hedgehog as the main lead, don't try to be Madoka tier dark. Make Shadow easy to control. Let Shadow's actions have consequences, i.e. Black Arms don't attack him when he's doing the Dark Mission until Shadow attacks them. Make the levels stick out more visually. And make the collectathons less tedious
Adventure 2? Heroes? He wasn't always lik that. I'd mention '06 too, but that's not canon anymore
What are you talking about? Shadow the Hedgehog's Final Story (or level, or whatever it's called) is canon

No it's not. It's a platformer where you run and jump and spin dash and all that. It's as much of a mainline game as Advance and Rush.
He always looked away from the camera going 'hmph!'
Everything else isn't, only that part of the game is canon

Rivals is a racing game. Hell, you even race the CPU in boss battles, see who gets the most hits!

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Shadow the Hedgehog's TRUE ENDING is Canon*
<3
That's what I meant
II like the idea of Shadow being a sharp contrast to Sonic and all but obviously he isn't handled well.

I would actually like for his game to get a complete remake. I think if done well it would good for his character; just remove the overly serious tone, keep all the stages vibrant and remove the vehicles ( he's as fast as Sonic, he doesn't need them, heck none of them do except Eggman ) and guns ( maybe keep the cartoony guns like the Omochao gun but seriously, reserve those for Nack The Weasal lol ), and retcon those stupid aliens...or atleast redesign them to fit the series artstyle.
But Eggman is fester than Sanic
:troll:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Ok guys, this will be my last post about the fight for getting proper recognition:

I made a reddit post. It's also on Source Gaming if you prefer formatted text, and available to listen to. I really want people to understand where I'm coming from, and why it's been so frustrating for the Source Gaming team. Thanks for everyone that RT'd the messages on Twitter, and the general support. It really means the world to me!

D

Deleted member

Chapter 12 is ****ing bull****
How the **** am I supposed to destroy the poison jars without getting affected by them?

And Schnee117 Schnee117 with his new avi thinking no one os going to realize it's actually a custom Lloyd sprite
Still pretty cool tho

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Ok guys, this will be my last post about the fight for getting proper recognition:

I made a reddit post. It's also on Source Gaming if you prefer formatted text, and available to listen to. I really want people to understand where I'm coming from, and why it's been so frustrating for the Source Gaming team. Thanks for everyone that RT'd the messages on Twitter, and the general support. It really means the world to me!
You guys work your asses of only to have credit stolen without a single recognition. **** those guys, you guys are the only people I trust with this stuff

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm not defending her, I'm clearing up misinformation.

I don't need to defend a character that already has impenetrable defenses, both literally and figuratively. :V

People just seem to like when I discuss the character in this light, since the long essay I made in the past was well received here.
That's really no different considering it was an opinion you trying to clear up...

If you need a clarification on my thoughts it's this: The Smash 4 newcomers/Doc are not Classic Mario characters, which in terms of Smash as a whole I think they're not mandatory additions and as such are easier to cut than most characters, but are not the easiest to either. I find this ironic considering no Mario newcomers was a commonly held opinion for the longest time.

If you want to know whether or not I think they will be cut:
No, I do not think Rosalina/Jr. will be cut bar the hypothetical reboot. Doc could go either way.

Bottom of the Barrel: By this I refer to the opinions of old farts like myself who ended up tiering characters by importance to their franchise/characters who you think or don't think of first when thinking of a franchise. Generally main characters vs. side characters vs. one off characters.

I tend to refer to pre-2013 stuff a lot as that's when I was most active and when the game was in the planning state. A lot of characters/opinions were really different back then, except for Waluigi. :laugh:

What type of essay are you talking about BTW?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Chapter 12 is ****ing bull****
How the **** am I supposed to destroy the poison jars without getting affected by them?

And Schnee117 Schnee117 with his new avi thinking no one os going to realize it's actually a custom Lloyd sprite
Still pretty cool tho
Lloyd had the Light Rune right? Rule of RWBY dictates that every weapon must have a projectile. We found Qrow's

D

Deleted member

And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling classic FE fans!
"And that dumb dragon"
Lloyd had the Light Rune right? Rule of RWBY dictates that every weapon must have a projectile. We found Qrow's
But it's not a gun
Lloyd had an inconsistent boss behavior because he moved out of a throne after talking to Nino
I bet he was drunk too

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
What type of essay are you talking about BTW?
A while ago, I typed a post in this thread that effectively ended up essay length, clearing up some misconceptions regarding Rosalina's inclusion in Smash and other general misconceptions about the character's current standing as an icon of Mario/Nintendo.

I won't post it unless asked for it (I'm also on my phone right now, about to head out) but I have it saved on my laptop since people said it's worthy of being a journalistic article. I don't think it is quite at that level, but I've kept it in case I ever want to fix it up and actually get it posted as an article someday, since I did put a few hours into it.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Shadow's game doesn't need a remake but his character does.

He does fit that quota but Knuckles did it before as being a contrast to Sonic

Blue=Red
Speed=Power

Shadow just does the Goku/Vegeta relationship of arch rivals turned allies that have a knack to compete

MainJPW

M.T.A
He does fit that quota but Knuckles did it before as being a contrast to Sonic

Blue=Red
Speed=Power

Shadow just does the Goku/Vegeta relationship of arch rivals turned allies that have a knack to compete
Excellent point...that actually reminds me, Knuckles is long overdue for another solo game isn't he? So much good could come out of it.

Of course, he needs another big role in a main game first.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Excellent point...that actually reminds me, Knuckles is long overdue for another solo game isn't he? So much good could come out of it.

I'm a highly professional leaker and I leaked Knuckles the Echidna's story, here it is!
Everyone: Look out Knuckles! Something stole the Master Emerald!
Knuckles: The what?
THE END
:troll:

Last edited:

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
A while ago, I typed a post in this thread that effectively ended up essay length, clearing up some misconceptions regarding Rosalina's inclusion in Smash and other general misconceptions about the character's current standing as an icon of Mario/Nintendo.

I won't post it unless asked for it (I'm also on my phone right now, about to head out) but I have it saved on my laptop since people said it's worthy of being a journalistic article. I don't think it is quite at that level, but I've kept it in case I ever want to fix it up and actually get it posted as an article someday, since I did put a few hours into it.
I think that's a tad hypocritical, but who am I to say given I haven't read it yet.

I just think it's amazing that Chaotix hasn't been apart of any of the dozens upon dozens of re-releases SEGA puts out.

I'd love to try it some day, especially since my Uncle has a boxed copy, but there's just not enough going for the 32x to warrant a $40+ purchase, and I think the SEGA CD is underrated. lol

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603

You know who really needs a solo game?
We need Big's Big Fishing Adventure

MainJPW

M.T.A
I just think it's amazing that Chaotix hasn't been apart of any of the dozens upon dozens of re-releases SEGA puts out.
Chaotix, like SegaSonic The Hedghog, was actually supposed to be included in Gems Collection.

SegaSonic had a problem with porting due to those blasted track ball controls, we don't have any idea why Chaotix was left out however which is strange. That should get a rerelease.
I'd love to try it some day, especially since my Uncle has a boxed copy, but there's just not enough going for the 32x to warrant a $40+ purchase, and I think the SEGA CD is underrated. lol
Well...there is emulator but eeeh. But yeah, I'd say the 32x isn't worth it lol.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Chaotix, like SegaSonic The Hedghog, was actually supposed to be included in Gems Collection.

SegaSonic had a problem with porting due to those blasted track ball controls, we don't have any idea why Chaotix was left out however which is strange. That should get a rerelease.

Well...there is emulator but eeeh. But yeah, I'd say the 32x isn't worth it lol.
I would say Cosmic Carnage was worth it but that sucked and the only reason to care is the aesthetics and God-Tier music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom