• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Spikeez

Smash Cadet
i just saw this:

Going back to the whole Nintendo Anime thing. This could make a pretty good show to watch, and I kind of want to see it happen now.
Imagine a Pikachu punching someone's face to get information with a voice of a serious man... Coming to think of it, I would watch this with no issues.

I have no idea how to feel about this other than I'm loving the comments on both sides of the argument. This comment in particular from NeoGAF I just love:
Seems more like the anti-localization people are angry. They tend to get angry about a lot of things tho :X
Wait, IGN said that Kotaku were wrong?
IGN confirmed skinship is out

Polygon is also now agreeing

Nintendo removed a minigame in Fire Emblem Fates that allowed players to pet the faces of teammates in the upcoming Nintendo 3DS game, a company representative confirmed to Polygon today.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/26/10837900/fire-emblem-fates-petting-minigame-localization-changes

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Which is exactly why I came on to post here. The game looks interesting and I kind of want it. I hope it comes to the states.

But I'm making an outlandish prediction right now:

The Pikachu is somehow going to be looker, he'll be like Bill but something else would have made him a pokemon.

Thoughts? I think it's absurd enough to work.
Detective Pikachu is going to be Looker transformed into a Pokemon I bet ya
Yet again someone likes how you think! I firmly believe this is going to be the case, it makes enough sense.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
In other Fates news, this was found on the updated site:

So the feature may be replaced by simple conversations.

Also:

Turns out D.C. Douglas is going to be playing as this guy.
So....isn't that kinda how the old FE games used to do it? You would pair up units if they were compatible and they would have a conversations you would view every now and then.

This honestly doesn't sound so bad if it turns out that way. As long as the conversations themselves aren't boring, I can at least be contempt with viewing how the characters grow through the game. Surely better than just rubbing your touchscreen with nothing of much value added.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Imagine a Pikachu punching someone's face to get information with a voice of a serious man... Coming to think of it, I would watch this with no issues.
This would be amazing to watch!
Or imagine the one liners:

" Looks like your getting taking to the Slamer!

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Almost forgot that LEGO Marvel's Avengers launched today.

Even though LEGO Marvel Super Heroes is my 2nd most favorite LEGO game (first being LEGO City Undercover), I'm not going to buy it now since I know for a fact that it WILL drop to $20 on the eShop in the somewhat near future.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
so after much debate i have decided not to get fates
cutting content and Not replaceing it with something is something i dont agree with
especially when its not minor like a boob slider

Burruni

Smash Hero
so after much debate i have decided not to get fates
cutting content and Not replaceing it with something is something i dont agree with
especially when its not minor like a boob slider
We don't have confirmation that there's not something that compensates for the affinity boosting of the interaction.

You see guys, this is why Corrin chose to smash. Even he/she doesn't want to deal with all this bull****.

Sakurai didnt add Corrin out of bias. He added them because they were seeking asylum from the madness.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
We don't have confirmation that there's not something that compensates for the affinity boosting of the interaction.
untill there conformation of something i wont pretend there is this isnt like fatal frame where we found out about the cut content after seeing the replacements

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Seems more like the anti-localization people are angry. They tend to get angry about a lot of things tho :X
More or less.

If the characters actually turn out to be interesting (kind of hard to get upset when one hasn't played the game itself) then maybe I'd be a tad bummed but at the same time there's no denying that petting anime characters is weird especially coming from a series that was previously tamer than most JRPGs.

Now if only they removed Phoenix Mode as well, that might convince me to not the games used.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Isn't it better to assume there is no replacement until proven true instead of assuming we got some kind of magical other content without proof?

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Seriously, this feature has brought more harm than good. I'm not that surprised it was so divided on the development team on whether they wanted the feature in the game or not. What's even funnier is that this probably wasn't even a feature many people asked for, so if this was never implemented, you would be hearing NO complaints.

I've also been seeing people say there's more content that got "removed". What else has actually been changed besides that one conversation?

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
More or less.

If the characters actually turn out to be interesting (kind of hard to get upset when one hasn't played the game itself) then maybe I'd be a tad bummed but at the same time there's no denying that petting anime characters is weird especially coming from a series that was previously tamer than most JRPGs.

Now if only they removed Phoenix Mode as well, that might convince me to not the games used.
ehhh phoenix mode needs to stay in...mainly because ive seen people play games cut from a similar cloth....it wasnt pretty

I looked up Phoenix mode beecause I forgot what it was. At that point why not just look up a playthrough online. That is free. And doesnt need 3 versions
Is Cloud just "A better Little Mac with a Sword", or is it more than just that?
Cloud is a swordsman with speed,projectiles, power, and a gimmick.

Little Mac is a character with speed, ground attack power, no recovery or air game, and a completely different gimmick.

They both have completely different playstyles.

I dont know why the two would be compared.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Sometimes I feel like we should just release these games in Japanese. No changes, no cuts, not even a translation. Just the original game.
Because it seems like even the slightest change will piss people off. So why even bother? If they want a "100% pure version", let's give them that.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Is Cloud just "A better Little Mac with a Sword", or is it more than just that?
Little Mac has some of the highest ground speed in the game, super armor on most smash attacks, and can combo INTO KO Punch at the garbage aerial capabilities.

Cloud's an all around character with some strong but laggy moves (all of his specials are incredibly unsafe on shield) and his Limit Break increases his stats generally but none of his skills can be "confirmed" into as part of a combo.

And that's just scratching the surface.

Last edited:
so close to 10,000 posts. Was hoping my XCX rant would be that post but there is no way I will do the last chapter before I post 6 more times

>Notice a lurker
>Check profile to see if I know them
>Another one of those weird avis I dont understand

EVEN THE LURKERS WISH TO ENHANCE MY PAIN

And since i'm feeling musical and I already linked Smooth Criminal in the Discord (you know who you are)

Last edited:

Chrono.

EVO line up getting revealed

So far:
  • SFV
  • Melee
  • Smash 4
  • GGXrd Revelator
  • MKX

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Funny that most of the people upset at the removal of the feature are upset because of censorship and removing features all that, not because of what the feature actually was. Because it's a weird, creepy feature that most people cringed at when it was announced.

It's not the same as the boob slider. Boobs, like eyes and noses and hair and all those other aspects featured in the customizer, are all parts of the human body and should be fair game when creating a character, especially if they've already been included.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
>Notice a lurker

You could pay them no mind and be spared the suffering. Sounds easier. :cheep:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Words than make me bash my head to a wall:
"Crapcom" in a year like 2016.
Because beating a dead horse definitely makes you look cooler.

Burruni

Smash Hero
My grounds with the face rubbing is "Nohr's already going to be harder to try to get supports handled; I want any tool that the game standardly has to make that getting supports easier."

And I didn't find the means of it as cringey as most =/

You could pay them no mind and be spared the suffering. Sounds easier. :cheep:
Yeah but im one of those people who

So it's hard for me to ignore people D:

Funny that most of the people upset at the removal of the feature are upset because of censorship and removing features all that, not because of what the feature actually was. Because it's a weird, creepy feature that most people cringed at when it was announced.

It's not the same as the boob slider. Boobs, like eyes and noses and hair and all those other aspects featured in the customizer, are all parts of the human body and should be fair game when creating a character, especially if they've already been included.
Just because the majority cringed doesn't mean the people currently complaing cringed back then. :p

Hell people change opinions over time quite often after getting used to it :p confirmation bias is weird
EVO line up getting revealed

So far:
  • SFV
  • Melee
  • Smash 4
  • GGXrd Revelator
  • MKX
Both smash are in. Skullgirls is the only other fighting game I care for other than pokken which doesnt exist here yet so i've pretty much already peaked. :X

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I would like to point out for those mentioning about the development team being split on the Amie thing. It wasn't the feature itself they were split on, since apparently they were okay with it when it was just only for your spouse/a bonus thing after your MC married. But the thing they were split on was when they made it available for everybody, some of the development team wanted to allow the lower body parts to be touched as well. That's the main thing the team was split on, was the fact that you could also go to their lower half and touch them there. That's where Nintendo put their foot down and only made the upper half touchable.

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Thank you Mike Ross for announcing Pokkén for EVO 2016. Such a great human Snorlax you are. That was very surprising, darn I'm hyped. AHHHH!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Yeah but im one of those people who

So it's hard for me to ignore people D:
There's a handy tool in this site's UI that may alleviate your problem.

An often overlooked one.

ig.PNG

What a magical button. :cheep:

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
so close to 10,000 posts. Was hoping my XCX rant would be that post but there is no way I will do the last chapter before I post 6 more times

>Notice a lurker

Sometimes, looking for answers only leads to more questions.

And sometimes, you're better off not knowing.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
So with the whole Fire Emblem skinship removal thing I'm definitively on the side of ''they shouldn't have removed this" because if nothing else it's the continuation towards a very slippery slope that Nintendo's localization team has been heading down that worries me.

At first it was innocuous aesthetic things or cultural changes that were made in transferring games over to the west, like the Lin costumes or the Fatal Frame ones. Nothing that affected gameplay, and there was replacement content in place of both sets of the removed content.

And then there was the breast slider being removed. An aesthetic feature entirely removed from the game with no replacement. Again, it didn't affect gameplay, but there was nothing offered in lieu of it. So while miniscule, we were given a negligibly oh-so-barely less content version of XCX than Japan was.

Now we come to Fates, where we have a system that ACTUALLY AFFECTS GAMEPLAY being removed with no alternative being offered in it's stead. This isn't some risque costumes being made more appropriate for western audiences, this is an entire portion of the game being denied to western gamers simply based on at best our location, or at worst, for fear of backlash from people who for the most part won't even bother buying the game in the first place.

And if this is to continue escalating as it has been, god knows where it'd stop. What happens if it's revealed Star Fox Zero has a bonus level where you play as Krystal in her SF: Adventures attire that then gets removed from the western version of the game for similar concerns of being too risque? What happens if NOA decides Bayonetta is too sexy for Western audiences and her DLC for Smash Bros. is cancelled because it's considered "too much" for the west? And to go even further, what happens when Bayonetta 3 is announced for NX or whatever, and it's never even brought stateside because of the slippery slope that the localization team has been sliding down?

Now I realize that these are huge leaps and aren't going to happen, but the point of the whole thing is that it's a slow burn. Slowly more and more content gets removed from games and with every success in removing something makes the localization team bolder and more and more likely to remove more and more content from games in the future. It won't happen anytime soon, but it'll be so gradual that people won't notice it happening until it's already too late.

And I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a localization team that acts more like a mail carrier, delivering me exactly what I ordered, warts and all, rather than a butcher that slices and chops it up to serve me what's the "proper" bits. And encouraging the kind of localization that entirely removes GAMEPLAY ELEMENTS of a game is sure as hell leaning more towards butcher than mail carrier.

So no, whilst I could care less about Fire Emblem Amie and think it's out of place in a Fire Emblem game, removing it entirely was a terrible move and one I cannot disagree more with. Because even though it's not something I would have wanted in the game, I can't support it being removed in the slightest.

Because even though it's something I don't like or care about, I'm against removal altogether of any content from region to region. Because I know that if I were on the other end and something I did like in a game was in danger of getting removed, I'd want other people to help prevent it from getting removed. And if I ignored this and let it go just because it wasn't something I specifically cared for, I'd sure as hell not get anyone helping me keep the content I wanted in return.

As the (edited) old saying goes:

"First they came for the alternate costumes
and I did not speak out
because I did not care for alternate costumes.

Then they came for the boob sliders
and I did not speak out
because I did not care for the boob sliders.

Then they came for the petting gameplay
and I did not speak out
because I did not care about the petting gameplay.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom