• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swaggin' On 'Em - The Luigi Thread

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I want a Mr. L outfit for one of his palette choices. Not just colors, but a complete costume. I also want him to have his Mr. L salute as a taunt.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Luigi nearly died today

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Screw Sakurai for, yet again, turning Green L into a cowardly butt monkey.

Like, Luigi's Mansion & its sequel meant nothing to his accomplices.

HE WAS NEVER THIS SCARED! Especially to some damned mummy!

D

Deleted member

Screw Sakurai for, yet again, turning Green L into a cowardly butt monkey.

Like, Luigi's Mansion & its sequel meant nothing to his accomplices.

HE WAS NEVER THIS SCARED! Especially to some damned mummy!
Umm... what?
Luigi has always had a cowardly side to him; it's a main focus in both Luigi's Mansion games. Even when he gets through both events, I'm not sure if the fear of the dark will truly go away for him.

I found the Simon trailer to be charming because of how they portrayed Luigi. It was pretty accurate to the Luigi's Mansion games in my opinion.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Umm... what?
Luigi has always had a cowardly side to him; it's a main focus in both Luigi's Mansion games. Even when he gets through both events, I'm not sure if the fear of the dark will truly go away for him.

I found the Simon trailer to be charming because of how they portrayed Luigi. It was pretty accurate to the Luigi's Mansion games in my opinion.
But, it's Flanderization! Luigi was never that scared!

And even then he overcame his fears eventually. He should have been used to what was on Castlevania!

Also, not even Nintendo themselves make him that scared.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Umm... what?

Where'd he get the plunger gun from though? A Rabbid? I expected him to try and suck up the bandages like he does in Dark Moon, but then he might have just gotten more scared from what's really underneath.

But, it's Flanderization! Luigi was never that scared!

And even then he overcame his fears eventually. He should have been used to what was on Castlevania!

Also, not even Nintendo themselves make him that scared.
Uh, no, he fights ghosts and ghosts alone. He was doing exactly what he was trained to do in the Luigi's Mansion games, but it fails miserably against non-ghosts. If he can't beat a mummy, what chance does he have against Medusa, or Death? Fleeing is really his only recourse here.

Luigi's schtick is that he is brave... when it counts. Here he's just stuck in an evil (living) castle for no reason. Why would he stick around?

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
He could jump on the mummy.

He could burn the mummy.

He could suck up the mommy's wraps.

He could do anything other than being a downright p**sy!

I HATE the Mario characters in Smash!

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Hmm, seems like Luigi was being Luigi to me. On a side note, I'm actually quite surprised that they would actually show Luigi getting mercilessly cut down by Death himself. I mean, sure, we saw :ultridley: impale :ultmegaman: and strangle :ultmario: but it was a silhouette at most. With Death, they didn't hold anything back. Was kind of brutal if you ask me.
Luigi nearly died today
Well, he did try to get back to his body, but Carmilla might've screwed that plan up.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

He could burn the mummy.

If you've played Castlevania, you would know even for Belmonts it would take an eternity to kill any of these things with only stomps (not counting exploits). And even if fire is effective against the mummy, his little fireball probably isn't strong enough to not have to deal with a mummy on fire.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

He could burn the mummy.

I’ve never played a Castlevania game, and even I know you can’t do that to a Castlevania enemy (only a Mario/Sonic enemy could be easily taken down like that)
Well, he did try to get back to his body, but Carmilla might've screwed that plan up.
scared in life and death...should’ve used the Death Stare on them all

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I’ve never played a Castlevania game, and even I know you can’t do that to a Castlevania enemy (only a Mario/Sonic enemy could be easily taken down like that)
Some Castlevanias do let you "stomp" with a diving kick (which we do see from the Belmonts here), but these are usually quite weak unless done from really high up (or use an exploit to trick the game into thinking you fell for a long time).

Folt

Smash Ace
Of course a series whose prime feature is a haunted castle has Nintendo's premier ghostbuster as the star alongside the newcomers.

Incidentally, that Poltergust looks new... New Luigi's Mansion possibly on the way?:ultluigi:

Also, probably the reason why they haven't shown off Luigi's Final Smash yet: He no longer uses the Poltergust 5000.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
That trailer had a very notable juxtaposition though. Luigi busts goofy cartoony ghosts that are more into spoopy territory than actually threatening, putting him in Dracula's Castle with literally Death and Medusa and Carmilla in the end is way too much for him, especially since Death literally kills Luigi :smash:

Folt

Smash Ace
Yeah. The Poltergust in the LM3 trailer looks very similiar to the one in this game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I get the feeling that game is aiming to be some kind of middle ground between the original and Dark Moon. A single, sprawling mansion to explore like the original, with Dark Moon's exploring and capture mechanics.

Awesomeperson159

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually kinda miffed they gave him Mario's up tilt, instead of his classic overhead swipe. Why would they change him into more of a semi-clone?

D

Deleted member

Today's blog post revealed that Luigi uses the Poltergust for his grab and throws now. What do you guys think of that? I think it's great!
I predicted many years ago during the Smash 4 era that Luigi would use the Poltergust as a grab. Since Luigi is so synonymous with the vacuum, it makes sense for his character that he would grab and throw with it.
I wish we could see it in action because it's neat on paper, but I hope that it's not horrible like Pac-Man's grab.

D

Deleted member

I'm curious about his Final Smash now. I'm hoping it's not something trying to pass off as an art house film like Negative Zone.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I predicted many years ago during the Smash 4 era that Luigi would use the Poltergust as a grab. Since Luigi is so synonymous with the vacuum, it makes sense for his character that he would grab and throw with it.
I wish we could see it in action because it's neat on paper, but I hope that it's not horrible like Pac-Man's grab.
Maybe it uses that new plunger attachment from LM3 and the suction is still just used for his final smash. And if that's true, would it give him a zair and tether?

Awesomeperson159

Smash Apprentice
Today's blog post revealed that Luigi uses the Poltergust for his throws now. What do you guys think of that? I think it's great!
Oh wow, that's exactly what I wanted! I'm not sure if it's going to be a buff or a nerf, but it's still really cool!

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
I think the poltergust will only be for the throw and only just a cosmetic change (throw angle don't change)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think the poltergust will only be for the throw and only just a cosmetic change (throw angle don't change)
If you ask me, grabbing someone with your hands then abruptly releasing them just so you can suck them in and launch them out seems unnecessarily awkward to animate.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I hope it is a unique kind of grab that will work kind of like Kirby's inhale.

If you ask me, grabbing someone with your hands then abruptly releasing them just so you can suck them in and launch them out seems unnecessarily awkward to animate.
I think what he meant is that he uses the Poltergust to suck up opponents for the standing grab, then all his throws have him launching out the opponents in different directions, but the attack properties are the same as his old throws.

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
I think what he meant is that he uses the Poltergust to suck up opponents for the standing grab, then all his throws have him launching out the opponents in different directions, but the attack properties are the same as his old throws.
Yes that what I meant but it could work as an unique grab like you can suck enemy with the poltergust and move at the same time like in Luigi's Mansion

Axicos

Smash Rookie

Luigi's new GUI art was revealed in the new Nintendo Switch ad. His cap appears to go outside of the frame. Thanks, Millie, for being a true Luigi main.

Last edited:

Lorisaur

Smash Cadet
Luigi's new uptilt is awesome. With that, and the nerf of airdodges, he'll be able to land combos and offstage tornados very easy and I personally belive he'll be very high tier

Arthur97

Smash Master
Luigi's new uptilt is awesome. With that, and the nerf of airdodges, he'll be able to land combos and offstage tornados very easy and I personally belive he'll be very high tier
I don't like that it seems to be more like Mario's, but otherwise it doesn't seem too bad.

Top Bottom