• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swaggin' On 'Em - The Luigi Thread

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Besides not flaming others, don't reply to posts that are nearly two months back.
He could jump on the mummy.

He could burn the mummy.

He could suck up the mommy's wraps.

He could do anything other than being a downright p**sy!

I HATE the Mario characters in Smash!
This is such a snowflake problem that it almost feels you've never experienced actual, real life difficulties.

Three people sitting in a bar talk about their lives:

"Man I gotta pay rent tomorrow and I'm already too tight for this month"

"Gotta take my kid to the doctor since that cough seems to be getting worse"

"****ing Smash Bros. director made ****ing Luigi scared of a ****ing mummy in a trailer made to show off a ****ing Castlevania character, guys! Sakurai is such an asshole you have no idea! It makes me so huffy and puffy! Everything he does is because he hates me, and me specifically"

Grow up.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Anyone else excited for Luigi's wavedash returning? I have a theory that this (along with other changes) will make Luigi totally busted in Smash Ultimate

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
This is such a snowflake problem that it almost feels you've never experienced actual, real life difficulties.

Three people sitting in a bar talk about their lives:

"Man I gotta pay rent tomorrow and I'm already too tight for this month"

"Gotta take my kid to the doctor since that cough seems to be getting worse"

"****ing Smash Bros. director made ****ing Luigi scared of a ****ing mummy in a trailer made to show off a ****ing Castlevania character, guys! Sakurai is such an ******* you have no idea! It makes me so huffy and puffy! Everything he does is because he hates me, and me specifically"

Grow up.
**** off!
You know nothing about my life!

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
Luigi was played during a Spanish Event. We could see Luigi's new grab so:
- He got a weird Z-Air
- He got a Link-Like grab
- He still has his old throw
- Apparently, he can't tether to the ledge

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
His fireballs are significantly faster.

I like the Zair is actually super important because it works kind of like Villager's Slingshot. If the knockback is decent then it could be a cool new tool in the Luigi arsenal.

Supposedly his Down-B got nerfed so it can't be used for Recovery.

I don't personally mind it as long as they relocate his strengths elsewhere when they seem to be doing with the better ranged options Luigi has no with his Tether Grab, Zair, and faster Fireballs.

Also Luigi's Final Smash is the same except it has flashier effects.

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
Would you consider Luigi's new grab as a nerf ?
The Down-B nerf scare me but now I will not need to be good at mashing

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
If the endlag isn't significantly worse than his normal grab I think it's a buff.

Luigi's heavily relies on his grab to wrack up the damage, so him having a bigger grab range increases his threat potential against characters with longer ranges like sword-wielders.

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
Possibly given the recovery is a bit long which coupled with the Cyclone gimp worsens his options off of his grabs, but the increased range and gaining it as a zair + the faster fireballs probably counts as a buff to Luigi's neutral game.

Honestly, it's hard to say at this point whether this makes Luigi worse than his Smash 4 incarnation. Most signs point to him being worse, but we only have so much footage to go off of.

Honestly, it might have been slightly better in people's minds if he could also tether recovery with it as well.

MrDrProfessor

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0044-3303-8549
I wish I was able to play. There's a few things I want to try.

Is there actually no way to move upwards at all with Cyclone anymore? I'm fine with removing the ability to gimp but Luigi's recovery is already garbage. The ability to recover with it is important.

Maybe you can recover by using the easy version. (Jump and Down-B at the same time. You don't have to mash fast at all.)
I understand there isn't much footage and it's hard to analyze everything. If these changes actually make him worse I might change to Ryu. (And I don't want to do that lol)

HotelSoapy!

Smash Apprentice
Possibly given the recovery is a bit long which coupled with the Cyclone gimp worsens his options off of his grabs, but the increased range and gaining it as a zair + the faster fireballs probably counts as a buff to Luigi's neutral game.

Honestly, it's hard to say at this point whether this makes Luigi worse than his Smash 4 incarnation. Most signs point to him being worse, but we only have so much footage to go off of.

Honestly, it might have been slightly better in people's minds if he could also tether recovery with it as well.
He cant?

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9tiwiy/updated_balance_changes_thread_info_coming_in/

The interesting part in the thread is that it says that he got the only Z-Air with landing lag in the game and he say to "Z-Air to Grab might be a thing" so maybe you can grab someone in the air and if you land with it while grabbing an ennemy you will be able to perform a throw (its just a theory and I don't think it will be possible).

Overall Luigi seem worse with the hard nerf on his Down-B and if you can't grab the ledge with is Z-Air his recovery gonna be pretty bad

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
I re-watched a footage of Luigi and for his Down-B he looked like you can use it like a recover tool but need to mash really hard and has maybe the utility of Doc's one

It also seems that Luigi no longer float like before and has a standart fall speed and the Z-Air is a common Z-Air like ZSS or Toon Link so I don't know why it's the only one to have landing lag

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Has anyone played Luigi in the Nintendo Live 2018 tournament?

I'd like to see some 1v1 gameplay with mah boi.

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
I don't think I saw anyone played him but I haven't watched it all

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Woah I noticed his Dash Attack is way faster. You don't get extremely punished anymore if you whiff it.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
The thing that needs to be changed is the Luigi Cyclone. Trying to mash the special button and not use a midair jump is incredibly hard and not everyone is a great button masher. I think he's fine as is, but the mashing desperately needs to be fixed.
Your wish has been granted.

NEO_Raven

Smash Rookie
cyclone even fully mashed doesn't go anywhere, double jump cyclone is useless as well, no more gimps

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
I hope they will rework it after the release. It's a useless move now

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
"If I can't mash, no one else will!"
Selfish

It gives him a move that doesn't have projectile priority to space with in the air.
It seems that the move have lag but they could at least give him Dr.Mario's Cyclone recover distance

Last edited:

NewZen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NewZen41
This footage shows his cyclone can't be used for recovery anymore. That's hella annoying! It will be interesting to see how his recovery will work now.
Overall worse, if I had to guess. Green Missile was hit with a range nerf, and even though it says his speed is increased, it doesn't say anything about his aerial speed being changed in any way. For all intents and purposes, Luigi might as well be up there as one of the characters in the game with some of the worst recovery, which will make him drop significantly unless folks can find a way around that Tether.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
The Down-B nerf scare me but now I will not need to be good at mashing
If it worked well as a recovery I'd say that it's a buff especially with the nerfs to the distance of both Cyclone and Green Missile. However, it is aweful as a recovery and has more landing lag than every other tether in the game so I'd say, while it has it's uses (I heard Zair to grab might be a thing) it's still a nerf.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
I've noticed that this Luigi is going to be similar to Melee in a lot of aspects.

• Good ground speed with his increased dash speed and wavedash/land
  • Cyclone doesn't travel far at all.
  • Up-B travels farther like in Melee and Brawl.
  • Luigi is going to get juggled a lot by faster characters.
  • His range appears to be a bit better than Smash 4 (f-tilt, fireballs, and grab have more range).
I hope they will rework it after the release. It's a useless move now
I agree. This move sucks now and I wish they had gone all the way and made it like his Melee Cyclone. Not only would it be consistent with the rest of his changes, it would nerf the distance on it while keeping some usefulness such as the small burst of movement and the excellent combo potential.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

It seems like Luigi gameplay is pretty sparse on YouTube, but I've found this.

What I noticed is so many of Luigi's animations are completely new. His air-dodge and run both show Luigi's quirky personality.

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
Luigi got new F-Throw (Launch forward), B-Throw (Launch backward, maybe kill throw ?) and Up-Throw (Launch up, maybe combo ?) where he use his Poltergust. His Down-Throw is still the same as Smash 4's one.
Luigi fall speed seem a little bit faster but will still be a problem (maybe not if fastfall).
Elegant made a little footage of his Luigi test: https://twitter.com/Elegant_Matt/status/1061689588274618368?s=09
We can see that his down-tilt is very fast and has no lag (Look spammable like Lukas/Ness's one)

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
In Squad Strike what two others characters compliment Luigi's playstyle. Let's say if Luigi's my anchor, which two characters do you think would be pretty good to have first?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
In Squad Strike what two others characters compliment Luigi's playstyle. Let's say if Luigi's my anchor, which two characters do you think would be pretty good to have first?
Someone who can fight well at range (say, :ulttoonlink:) and your choice of swordfighter.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
I have conflicted feelings on this Luigi.
His aerials and tilts seem improved, up-b now functions like Brawl again, and f-throw is his Brawl down-throw which is a combo throw. He also runs faster. And wavedashing (however nerfed it is) is back which is good as a retreat or approach. Oh, yeah and fireballs are much better.

HOWEVER!

His down b travels barely any distance and no longer gimps. Side-b also travels less distance. He also got a tether grab. The nerfs to down and side b may be less severe if his tether grab worked like everyone's else but NOPE. Has a ton of trouble grabbing the ledge, is the laggiest of all tether grabs when landing (and on the ground it looks like) and it doesn't seem like it has as much range as the Samus's.

I'm still going to main him but... those recovery changes hurt a lot despite his buffs. Also down air spikes on stage.

Top Bottom