• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Hey, I hope this isn't considered double posting, but I've found this article regarding the series creator's response to fan demands for a new Custom Robo game. Granted, the article is from 2013, so his stance could be different now. Anyways, your thoughts?

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/new-custom-robo-game-discussed#.VVB9BnPD_qA
I fear that his response is more of a cop-out to keep people off his back... Like, he's not just gonna say no. That response makes me think Custom Robo NEEDS Smash if it's ever going to return. Of course, this Smash Ballot may be able to let the creator see that there is a good amount of fan demand, which could result in a new game regardless of Ray becoming a fighter. IMHO, this Smash Ballot is going to play an integral part in the revival of Custom Robo.

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I fear that his response is more of a cop-out to keep people off his back... Like, he's not just gonna say no. That response makes me think Custom Robo NEEDS Smash if it's ever going to return. Of course, this Smash Ballot may be able to let the creator see that there is a good amount of fan demand, which could result in a new game regardless of Ray becoming a fighter. By IMHO, this Smash Ballot is going to play an integral part in the revival of Custom Robo.
I also fear that it's an easy way out. The Smash Ballot will help with the revival of the series in my opinion.

It REALLY didn't help matters that CRA released within the same 30 day period as Pokémon Diamond and Pearl. Kinda attributed to the low sales of CRA overall IMHO. You think this stagnation could've been avoided if they waited a bit before releasing CRA?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I also fear that it's an easy way out. The Smash Ballot will help with the revival of the series in my opinion.

It REALLY didn't help matters that CRA released within the same 30 day period as Pokémon Diamond and Pearl. Kinda attributed to the low sales of CRA overall IMHO. You think this stagnation could've been avoided if they waited a bit before releasing CRA?
Yeah, not to mention they might have been able to add even more content to an already content-rich game. They should have waited and maybe sank a few dollars into overseas advertising, even if it was just ad banners on IGN or something.Just something to get the word out. I only knew about the game because I played BR.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Yeah, not to mention they might have been able to add even more content to an already content-rich game. They should have waited and maybe sank a few dollars into overseas advertising, even if it was just ad banners on IGN or something.Just something to get the word out. I only knew about the game because I played BR.
Better advertising and timing would've really helped them out in the long run IMHO. I think they only have around 21 employees total, so that could've been a factor.

But yeah, it would've been cool if they brought back some more of the older Illegal parts like the Minamo Gun, the Nikaidou Gun, and the U-Laser Gun (Genome's gun from CR1 and V2). I loved the fact that they had the Dread Army leaders (and their robos [sans Gousetsu for some reason {even though his Crazy Baboon is in the game} for some reason]) from CR1 as Gate Keepers in the Greybaum Lair. Maybe have some more references to the older games in the future games?

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
@ The One Who Wrote This The One Who Wrote This , thanks for everything you've done, and I hope I don't sound demanding asking for more, but I'd love to see some of the items and gameplay objects from each game.
For instance, I'd really like pictures of the different Robo Cube's and Robo Cannon's.

btw, Robo Cube's would make for awesome dice.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
@ The One Who Wrote This The One Who Wrote This , thanks for everything you've done, and I hope I don't sound demanding asking for more, but I'd love to see some of the items and gameplay objects from each game.
For instance, I'd really like pictures of the different Robo Cube's and Robo Cannon's.

btw, Robo Cube's would make for awesome dice.
No worries! I can get stuff like that.

Can you clarify what you mean by items though? Are you referring to parts or key items like the Mark of the Dark Commander?

And I can get pics of the Cannons and Cubes. Should be pretty simple. :)

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
No worries! I can get stuff like that.

Can you clarify what you mean by items though? Are you referring to parts or key items like the Mark of the Dark Commander?

And I can get pics of the Cannons and Cubes. Should be pretty simple. :)
Exactly like the key items. I just think images of those things should be available online somewhere. Also, maybe some pics of important overworld things, like the parts generator or the Holosseum graphic from each game.
Thanks for being awesome.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Exactly like the key items. I just think images of those things should be available online somewhere. Also, maybe some pics of important overworld things, like the parts generator or the Holosseum graphic from each game.
Thanks for being awesome.
No prob dude! I'll try to get as much as I can. Gotta start next week though as work stuff is ending and it gets chaotic during the end.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to the guild mate! It's always a pleasure to have someone join us! Feel free to discuss anything Custom Robo related on this page as well as suggest this page to anyone you want. We're currently campaigning for Ray's (any Ray model for that matter) inclusion as a playable character as well as adding knowledge about the series to the web in order to make the series more well known.

I (as well as anyone else willing to help) am working more towards the latter goal by uploading video footage of parts and holosseums in action as well as adding the OST of the series. So far we've managed to get footage of all of the Custom Robo GX parts (except for the Rising set [working on it as we speak]) as well as the entire OST for Custom Robo (N64) and Custom Robo V2. We still need to add the parts to the Robopedia, however.

If you want to see what we've managed to get done so far when it comes down to videos, check out this page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuekCLuYYpYQqxIl14a8AnA

Also, the soundtrack for Custom Robo 1:

And combined OST for 1 and V2 (as V2 has most of 1's tracks):

Anyways, what's your favorite Robo in the series? Mine is a tie between Ray 01, Javelin, and Tempest.
Yeah I support ray doesn't matter the model I feel they all would just be alternate costumes.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice

Vote for Custom Robo in the Smash Bros Ballot: https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/

Welcome to the Custom Robo Discussion Thread. This thread focuses on the possibility of a Custom Robo (specifically a Ray model) being playable in Smash Bros. However any Custom Robo discussion is welcome.

Project Robovation in progress: An effort to increase Custom Robo knowledge online. A collaboration to get video of parts, holosseums & important bits of gameplay from all Custom Robo games.
Spearheaded by @ The One Who Wrote This The One Who Wrote This . Check off completed compilations at this link.

Sign the petition to revive the series:
https://www.change.org/p/operation-robo-rebirth-petition-for-a-new-custom-robo
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Brief history of the Custom Robo series:
The Custom Robo series was developed by Noise and published by Nintendo, and has 5 games so far.
Timeline:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ray Models:

Custom Robo in the Smash Bros. series:
Custom Robo has been featured in both Melee and Brawl, but is not featured in Smash 4.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________​
Supporters Moveset Ideas:
@Master Rapier
So after playing some Kirby games and Megaman I really like the idea of him using a variety of weapons in Smash. This was mention by Andorok and lobotheduck21 and I like this idea. So here is a quick mock up on Ray's move set.
Standard Attacks will mostly consist of kicks and pistol whipping. Some techniques he'll use weapons like the needle gun or the blade gun as a melee weapon. His dash attack will also be his charge attack which he shoulder checks the person.
Specials
B: Gatling Gun: Fires a short burst of rounds on a sideways direction. Does low damages but stuns them while their getting hit.
Up B: Acrobat Bomb: Drops a bomb that explodes underneath him and launches him into the air. Can be used for meteor attacks as well.
Forward B: Satellite Pods: He lays up to three pods that float in place for trapping. They do low damage but when place right can be very annoying. After some time they will explode on their own.
Down B: Standard Bomb: Lobs a bomb in an arch in order to shoot over walls and barriers. Can even be use to hit people on platforms above him.
Grapple
Catch: Uses Catch Gun similar to Samus Grapple Beam
Holds the enemy with his bomb hand and pistol whips with his gun.
Down Throw: Knocks them to the ground and use Drill Gun
Up Throw: Uses Knuckle Gun to punch them upward
Forward Throw: Plants Burrow Bomb D at his feet and lets it explode knocking him forward.
Back Throw: Pulls them behind him and uses the shotgun to the face.
Final Smash
Idea 1: SoulBoost and Weapon Upgrade
Ray transforms his special moves and turns gold with soulboost. He gets a new moveset.
B: Dragon Gun: Fires and large flaming roaring dragon that chases the nearest target.
Up B: Acrobat Bomb just like before.
Down B: Geo Trap Bomb: fires like a slower standard bomb but creates a large ground level explosion.
Forward B: Wave Pods: Fires a pod forward that when it explodes creates a wave that can go through walls.
While in soulboost he take less damage and can't be stunned or knocked down.
Idea 2: Robo Swarm
A bunch of various Custom Robos come from all sides of the screen and just wreak havoc across the stage. Little raiders running around shooting, lighting sky's flying over head bombing, funky big heads jumping around dropping pods, etc. Just a mass chaos of little robots shooting and blowing up stuff. Also a good assist trophy idea.
@ The One Who Wrote This The One Who Wrote This
Unique Traits:
Hover: Can hover in place momentarily. Same input as Peach's hover. Lasts for as long, but cannot move horizontally when doing the hover. Feather Legs are equipped automatically as an aesthetic change. Normal Legs equipped after hover is done so falling speed isn't changed after hover. Lasts as long as Peach's hover.
Air Dash: Lacks Vertical Movement for air jumps. Air Dashes move Ray 01 FAR though. Long Thrust legs are equipped as an aesthetic change.
Reload: Can't use same projectile move in succession. 2nd use reloads unless if another move is used or player waits for 5 seconds. Physical moves ignore this. Used to encourage multiple types of projectiles.
Size: Taller than Olimar and Mega Man, but slightly shorter than Link and Samus. Normally 12 inches tall in the source material, but Olimar grew by a lot.
Walking Speed: Above Average (slightly faster than Smash 4 Bowser speed). Stabilizer Legs auto-equipped as an aesthetic.
Dashing Speed: Also around Bowser's (slightly faster). Formula Legs are equipped as an aesthetic.
Weight: In a scale of 0-10, he'd be a 4. Gets KO'd easily around 110% by F-Smashes.
Ground Jump Height: Mega Man's. Wide Jump Legs equipped as an aesthetic.
Number of Jumps (including Ground Jump): 3.
2nd and 3rd jump height: Non-existent as Ray 01 air dashes instead. Explained in "Unique Characteristics" section.
Air speed: Amazing like Mega Man's and Puff's (mainly because of Wide Jump legs).
Falling Speed: Mega Man's. Basically decently fast.
Roll: Long distance, but a bit laggy. Think like in the intro cutscene when he dodges the Wyrm Gun fired by Rakansen (check spelling of name for Illegal Strike Vanisher).
Entrance: Robo Cube launches into arena. Picture how it works in the intro cutscene for CR:BR.
Can crawl?: No.
Can Wall Jump?: Yes, but the angle is practically nonexistent (very horizontal). Air dashes into walls in the source material bounce you off the wall if timed right.
Taunts: Beats me.
Victory Poses: CR:BR's and CR:A's victory poses for Ray 01.
Costumes: Ray 01, Ray, Ray MK II, X Ray, Ray MK III, Ray II Dark, Ray Warrior, and Ray Sky (changes into plane for air jumps but is unchanged otherwise). Same stats and charge attack (even though source material states otherwise). Announcer Name changes as well (like Bowser Jr and the Koopalings).
Moves:
Get Up Attack: Breakdance maneuver with Sword Gun as a Melee weapon for all 3 variations.
Ledge Attack: Marth's ledge attack.
Jab Combo: Basic Gun's 3 shots: Each press does each shot. More powerful than Mega Man's Mega Buster and causes more flinch, but last shot of combo executed (pressing A 1 time or 2 times also does this if no 2nd or 3rd A is pressed, respectively) has more lag because of gun recoil. Travels farther as well. Cannot fire again until shots disappear. 3 shots of 2.6%, 2.6%, and 3.8%. 3rd shot can be cancelled into Jab Combo Ala Illusion Stab or Elwind Rapid Jab.
Rapid Combo: Gattling Gun: 12 shots. Less flinch than Basic Gun. 0.75% each shot. Shots get weaker the farther they go, but are long ranged (3/5ths of FD). Last shot has decent knockback. Part of Basic Gun, so use of Gattling forces reload of Basic.
Dash Attack: Slide Gun: Ray shoots 1 shot while sliding forward. Can aim shot with control stick. Kinda weak, but flinches like Falco's Blaster. Very mobile while doing the move as well. 3.1%
Tilts:
Forward: 3 Way Gun: Fires 9 shots in 3 sets of 3 that all go forward. Each shot is 1.5%.
Down: Burrow Bomb D: Fires a bomb that lodges into the ground in front of Ray 01. Explodes when touched or if nothing happens for a while. Can hurt Ray 01. Think Snake's mines in Brawl. Same power as an uncharged mine in Brawl.
Up: Phoenix Gun: Fires 2 bird shaped rounds simultaneously that travel over the foe's head. 2 hits of 5.5%. Downwards knockback flying down, upwards knockback flying up.
Smashes:
Forward: Charge attack from the games. Powerful and moves forward like Wario Man's F-Smash in Brawl (not as far). Also disappears momentarily like Fox Illusion. Lag is big though. Good at breaking shields and also has Super Armor. 25% Uncharged, 35% fully charged. 60 degree from horizontal for launch angle.
Up: Smash Bomb: Fires a bomb above that explodes immediately after launch. Think Snake's Mortar but it explodes immediately after launch. Very good anti air. About 17% uncharged, 25% fully charged.
Down Smash: Twin Flank H Pods: Pods move in opposite directions. Bounces off walls. Explode after 10 seconds. Low damage and knockback. Mainly used for setting up due to good hitstun. 7% each uncharged, 12% each fully charged.
Aerials:
Nair: Gravity Gun: Immobile projectile is sent out. Decent radius. POWERFUL Meteor Smash. Disappears after 2 seconds. 10%.
Fair: Flare Gun: Fires a shot that bursts into smaller shots. Burst deals 14% during explosion, Smaller shots do 2.5% each. Burst has great knockback, mini shots are Mega Buster knockback.
Bair: Straight Bomb: Fires a bomb backwards. Simple. 9%, but great knockback.
Uair: Satellite Pod: Creates stationary pod. Homes when enemy is closer by. 8%.
Dair: Spider Pod: Creates 1 pod that moves slowly (falls fast) until foe gets close to it. Moves fast for the kill. 8%.
Grab: Catch Gun: Long Range Grab. Slower than Grapple Beam, but homes slightly.
Pummel: Pistol Whip. 1%, quick variant.
FT: Needle Gun: Throws foe forward and shoots 3 way Needle gun. Each needle is 2.4%.
UT: Knuckle Gun: Punches Upwards. 6%. Good combo move at low percentages.
DT: Drill Gun: Drills foe into ground. 10 hits of 0.8%. Knocks foe at low backwards angle.
BT: Shotgun: 3 simultaneous hits. 12%. Good KO move.
Specials:
Neutral (Signature Guns):
1) Dragon Gun: The treasured Dragon Gun that appeared since CR1. Fires moving Dragon Head of Fire that slightly homes on foes. Pretty powerful knockback, but laggy. 17.5%. Power with low speed.
2) Sniper Gun: Another fan favorite since CR1. Fires a shot that is pretty fast and has semi powerful knockback. No homing at all and has some lag as well. 14%. Speed with low homing.
3) Rayfall Gun: Another series favorite. Fires 4 shots. On ground, they wait before launching at opponent. In air, they fire immediately. Strong homing, but not as powerful. 4 shots of 2.5%. Decent flinch, but little to no knockback. Homing with low power.
Side (Restricting Bombs. Hold B to change aim distance and delay launch):
1) Geo Trap Bomb: Fires an arcing bomb that expands slowly. Causes foe to trip if they are hit (caused instant knockdown in source game). Kinda big blast radius. 7%. Anti Ground.
2) Freeze Bomb: Fires straight bomb that paralyzes on contact (not freeze oddly enough) with its blast. 2% damage, but great for set-ups. Ray 01 can be hurt and stunned by the blast if he touches it. Stunner.
3) Gemini Bomb B: Fires two arcing bombs that are spread out. Used for limiting movement, but cannot hurt foes that are in the middle of the two shots. Each bomb does 3.5% and have fixed knockback. Anti Movement.
Up (Recovery. Helpless frames after 2nd and 3rd):
1) Acrobat Bomb: Fires Acrobat bomb that launches Ray 01 up. Very vertical. No damage when opponent gets hit, but there exists knockback at the start of the move.
2) Robo Cannon: Clone of Rosalina's Launch Star, but with the Robo Cannon. More delay and less distance than Acrobat Bomb, but can angle direction. No damage or knockback.
3) Short Tackle Action Chip: Causes Ray 01 to charge in a direction. Think Mewtwo's Teleport but with a tackle instead of a teleport. Least distance out of the 3 (distance of 2nd Elwind in Gliding Elwind) but can cause 15% damage and great knockback if it hits. Any direction too.
Down (Gunners (variant of Pods in GX that fire bullets instead of blowing up)):
1) Round Gunner: Think the Ouroboras from MvC that Strider Hiryu has. Basically that but lasts for 7 seconds. Recharge of 20 seconds after move is finished. 1% each shot from the 2 orbiting gunners.
2) 4-Way Gunner: A pod that stays stationary and fires multiple times. 1.5% each shot (fires 4 at a time in a fan shape). Fires 1 cluster every 2 seconds and lasts for 8 seconds. 13 second cooldown.
3) Seeker Gunner: Slowly follows opponent and tries to get shots on them. 8 second duration with 17 second cooldown. 1% damage each shot.
Final Smash: Soul Boost + Illegal Upgrade:
Ray 01 activates Soul Boost and changes all of his non-body parts for Illegal parts. Soul Boost increases damage, speed, and defense (each attack done on him only does 1% damage). Super Armor is activated as well. Is all gold as well. Reload counter is ignored as well. Lasts as long as Giga Bowser in Smash 4. Phantom Legs are equipped.
New Moveset:
Jab Combo: Non-existent.
Rapid Jab: ARS-G02 Alpha Shot (Military fusion of Gattling and Eagle Guns from GX that AIRS uses): Fires 6 shots of 3%. Fast and slight homing.
Dash Attack: Cleaver Gun (Illegal Slide Gun from Arena): 3 shots while moving. Quicker and more powerful (5% each shot).
F-Tilt: Gousset Gun (Illegal 3-Way from N64 days): Fires 3 sets of 2. Faster and each bullet does 3.5%.
Up Tilt: Carat Gun (Military Grade version of Phoenix): 3 faster simultaneous rounds of 6.5% each hit. Fly higher.
Down Tilt: Nikaidou Bomb (Illegal Burrow Bomb from GX): Fires 2 bombs in a V shape. Both are as powerful as a fully charged Snake mine in Brawl. Burrow into ground.
F-Smash: Ray Warrior's Charge Attack (Battle Revolution). No lag and does 40-50% damage. Tremendous knockback. 15 degree launch angle from horizontal.
Up Smash: Amun Gun (Illegal Gun from V2 and Arena that Jameson uses [Smash Bomb lacked an illegal version]): Fires split laser above Ray 01. 18% but reaches high.
Down Smash: Cerberus Pod (Illegal Wave Pod from V2 and Arena that evil Doppelganger used [Twin Flank lacked Illegal Variant]): 3 Way Wave pod (Up and sides). 6% with each wave hitting 5 times.
NAIR: Dark Plasma (Illegal Gun that Evil Boss of GX used [the closest I could find to an Illegal Gravity]): Fires 6 shots that do 4.5% each. Slow homing, but lasts for a LONG time. Sadly doesn't Meteor.
FAIR: Rahu III Gun (Illegal Flare Gun from Battle Revolution that Final Boss used): Same as before, but burst shot and spread shots are bigger as well as more damage and homing of smaller shots. 33% burst, 6% individual shots.
BAIR: Hadron Bomb (Illegal Direct Bomb that Evil Boss of Arena used [couldn't find Illegal Version of Straight Bomb and needed to reference Hadron]): Fires 2 bombs. They home at launch like Samus' Missle #3.
UAIR: Kindjal Pod (Illegal Satellite Bomb from Arena): More power and bigger blast.
DAIR: Wolf Spider (Illegal Spider Pod that Sergei uses in Battle Revolution): Faster and Stronger than regular spider.
Throws:
Grab: Viking Axe (Illegal "variation" of Catch Gun and Energy Dagger from GX): Does damage and forces a stun. Otherwise identical to Catch Gun.
Pummel: 2%.
FT: Boronji Gun (Illegal Needle Bomb from V2): 4 lasers of 4%.
UT: Rouga Gun (Illegal Knuckle Gun from V2. Has a wolf theme to it): More power and range than Knuckle Gun.
BT: Gaiou Gun (Illegal Shotgun from GX): Shotgun, but 4 simultaneous hits. 3.5%, 3.5%, 3.5%, 4.5%.
DT: Crystal Strike Gun (Illegal Meteor Storm Gun from Battle Revolution [lacked Illegal version of Drill Gun]): Fires 8 point blank shots of 2% each.
NB1: Wyrm Gun (Illegal Dragon Gun. Was known as Homura Gun beforehand as Homura used it): Fires 5 fast and homing Wyrm heads on ground (5% each) or 1 large, fast, and homing Wyrm head in air (22%).
NB2: X Laser Gun (Illegal Version of V Laser Gun [Sniper lacked an Illegal variant]): Fires two simultaneous shots that split at launch and cross with each other where the opponent is at. Each laser deals 10.5%.
NB3: Minamo Gun (Illegal Rayfall from N64 days): More power, more speed, and more homing. 6 shots as well.
SB1: Deva Bomb (Illegal Titan Bomb used by Doppelganger in V2 and Arena [there was an Illegal Geo Trap known as I Geo Trap in GX, but that was too similar to the regular version]): Fires an extremely slow arcing bomb. Blast radius is huge and deals 40% with extremely large knockback (almost an OHKO).
NB2: Indigo Bomb (Illegal Freeze Bomb in V2 [Big Bad used it] and Arena [Doppelganger had it for 1st fight]): Bigger Radius, more damage, and longer freeze duration.
NB3: Grand Cross Bomb (Illegal Delta Bomb [lacked Illegal Variation of Gemini that warranted use]): Fires 4 bombs. If not aimed, launches 2 in front and 2 behind Ray 01.
UB1: Higher launch and more horizontal movement. Only legal weapon that remained.
UB2: Farther launch. There lacks an illegal Robo Cannon.
UB3: Rising Slide (Illegal Short Tackle that GX super boss used): More distance and 30% with great knockback.
DB1: Circulation W Gunner (Military Grade Round Gunner in GX that AIRS uses): Great range, firing rate, and only a cooldown of 5 seconds with a duration of 10.
DB2: I 4-Way Gunner (Illegal 4-Way Gunner from GX) : More power, faster firing rate, and aims towards opponents. Cooldown of 3 seconds, duration of 16.
DB3: I Seeker Gunner (Illegal Seeker Gunner from GX): More power and shoots in a V. Cooldown of 3 seconds, duration of 17.
@ AceZTeller AceZTeller
B: Guns: One short range, one mid range, and one long range. They aim like in thegame.
• Mega Burst Gun: Long lasting rounds for trapping.
• Gatling Gun: High fire rate for screen control.
• Dragon Gun: Good homing for pressure.
Side B: Bombs: can move the cursor up, down, left, and right. He can hurt himself.
• Standard Bomb: medium speed, average arc, medium damage.
• Submarine Bomb: slow, no arc, big damage.
• Tomahawk Bomb: quick, high arc, comparatively less damage.
Down B: Pods: used for trapping and screen control and in the rare case recovery, Samus and Link style. He can hurt himself with them.
• Spider Pod: homes in on nearby opponents on ground only. Three charges.
• Satellite Pod: homes in on nearby opponents in the air only. Three charges.
• Acrobat Pod: Simply for easy recovery in exchange for no screen control. One charge.
Up B: Air Dashes/Legs: depending on the leg you choose, your air dash Up B will be different. Gets 2 air dashes under normal circumstances.
• Long Thrust: Longer air dashes.
• Quick Thrust: Quicker air dashes.
• Plus One Legs: gets an extra, normal air dash.
As for why Charges aren't a special, I'd make the normal Ray charge a forward smash, an anti air charge the up smash, and an in-place charge for down smash. They'd maybe have invincibility frames like in the games, but that might be OP.

Brawl Mods of Custom Robo Ray's in action:
List of Supporters:
· @tomic
· 1983parrothead
· AceZTeller
· Aguki90
· Andorok
· Azure Warrior
· Banjo-Kazooie
· BluePikmin11
· Bradli Wartooth
· camarosquid
· CardStealer1
· ChainArmour712
· Cobalsh
· DarkSouls
· deuxhero
· DragonSniperNintendo
· DriveSober
· Dub24M
· DukeNapoleon
· DustyPumpkin
· Edlocke
· Ekul
· FalKoopa
· FasdfGfaha
· Ferio_Kun
· FirstBlade
· fogbadge
· gameb0ybryan
· Golden Sun
· Groose
· Guybrush20X6
· HeroG
· Hong
· HugoBoss
· Hukster
· Jeronado
· Jerry Applesauce
· kaliskonig
· kaliskonig
· Kamikazek
· Keeshu
· Leafeon523
· Leafeon523
· LEGOfan12
· lobotheduck21
· lobotheduck21
· M52B28
· MandoBardanJusik
· Master Rapier
· MasterMushroom
· Megadoomer
· Mirron
· Mishudo
· MustDash <NeDave>
· NATGamer
· Oasis_S
· OblivionWolf
· Oracle_Summon
· Phaazoid
· Psionic EquinØx
· Ray Robo
· Ricky Winterborn
· Ridles the Space Pirate
· Serell
· ShaDoW4408
· shaggypatriot12
· Sigran101
· Skyblade12
· slambros
· smashingDoug
· smashkirby
· SmashShadow
· SmilingMad
· Solbliminal
· Spluni
· Storm Eagle
· StrangeTamer
· SuperBrawler
· TempahRelapse
· The One Who Wrote This
· TheSmasher916
· This is a Sentence
· ToastyPyre
· tomvoxx
· ToothiestAura
· VictoryIsMudkipz
· volbound1700
· willy410
· WonderSmash
· Zach777
· Zoljinx
· Zzuxon
· 鉄腕アトム
You guys forgot the other Ray MKs from the GameCube version like Ray Legend and Ray Warrior.

Also the item in the game should be the dragon gun

Lastly you guys should added a poll Yes/no question to the top of the thread like the Bomberman thread does.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Yeah I support ray doesn't matter the model I feel they all would just be alternate costumes.
Welcome to the guild mate! :)

And yeah, I agree about the Alt. Costume thing. They could do a Little Mac and Villager and have 16 costumes where each model has their standard colors as well as an alternate color scheme. That being said, 16 is a TON, so I think 8 (where each is a different model) is fine. They SHOULD make the hit and hurt boxes the same, however.

You guys forgot the other Ray MKs from the GameCube version like Ray Legend and Ray Warrior.

Also the item in the game should be the dragon gun

Lastly you guys should added a poll Yes/no question to the top of the thread like the Bomberman thread does.
Legend and Warrior are grouped with Ray and Ray 01, respectively. Legend is basically a remastering of Ray while Warrior is essentially an upgrade of 01. We did that with AIRS and Ray II Dark as well (placed them in Ray Sky and Rain Mk II, respectively).

Dragon Gun as an item actually would be interesting. It could be like the Drill Arm that already exists. Cool idea!

As for the poll, that ain't a bad idea actually. It's a support poll though, right?

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Well, I just learned that there's a difference between component and composite cables. Gotta wait for the new cables to come in before I can record anything console related....

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
I found another CR AT! When you are ascending because of a jump and fire a pod during the ascent, you immediately start falling. Its most evident when you jump the maximum height and fire a pod the moment you leave the ground. The AT is present in CRBR and CRA but not in GX. Not sure about the first two CR games. What should we call this AT?

Different subject. Anyone here going to be at CEO?

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I found another CR AT! When you are ascending because of a jump and fire a pod during the ascent, you immediately start falling. Its most evident when you jump the maximum height and fire a pod the moment you leave the ground. The AT is present in CRBR and CRA but not in GX. Not sure about the first two CR games. What should we call this AT?

Different subject. Anyone here going to be at CEO?
Sounds like an AT to me! We should make note of that!

And I sadly won't be at CEO. Summer School is starting for me and I am swamped with things to do (including ordering textbooks and completing the playthrough of CR1).

Last edited:

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Yooooo, we MLG yet?

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Kinda unrelated to anything we talked about in the past, but do you know why Jameson is named Jameson? I mean, all of the other Robos have a reason why they are named something. Wild Soldiers are named after famous men in history, Shining Fighters are Light Phenomenons, Old Timers use Kanji in the Japanese games, Lightning Skys are named after missiles, and so on. But what about Jameson?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Heh, interesting find. Apparently Japan had Custom Robo Action Figures that you could build back in the day. There was Ray, Flare, Robin, and Drake.

Here's the page: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_ncxj/plamo/page02.html

Edit: Also, FINALLY managed to record a video for Custom Robo Classic. Here's the test video (which I think is good enough for Ray IMHO):

I just found some on Ebay for pretty cheap. I kinda want to get one, but sadly Ray isn't an option. Wouldn't mind Robin, though.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
So 30 bucks later, and I finally have Custom Robo BR again!!!

Best part: It still has the manual. I was so hype, like holy crap.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I just found some on Ebay for pretty cheap. I kinda want to get one, but sadly Ray isn't an option. Wouldn't mind Robin, though.
Yeah, seems Ray is outta stock from what I could tell.

Eh, I heard it was pretty hard to stand up at times due to the pods, so you probably aren't missing out on much. I do think that it's pretty cool that they actually had action figures though.

Still, I would get myself a Ray 01 figurine if they made one.

So 30 bucks later, and I finally have Custom Robo BR again!!!

Best part: It still has the manual. I was so hype, like holy crap.
Awesome dude! Battle Revolution is my fave! If only they made another one with its art style and characters (though I am also liking the characters that are in CR1 and V2 as well now that I have played them more)....

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Well, got Custom Robo for the N64 fully recorded and I uploaded ALL of the parts and holosseums that are in the game. Here are the playlists:

Bodies:
Guns:
Bombs:
Pods:
Legs:
Holosseums:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Guys so I support Ray getting in Smash, but I only have a basic idea of what he can do and what his games are about. I know about the guns, legs, pods and stuff but I barely know anything else, so if someone could explain, I'd be grateful.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Guys so I support Ray getting in Smash, but I only have a basic idea of what he can do and what his games are about. I know about the guns, legs, pods and stuff but I barely know anything else, so if someone could explain, I'd be grateful.
Thanks for the support mate! :) I'll try to explain to you the general gist of it.

Timeline and Games:
Basically the Custom Robo series has a total of 5 games. Timeline wise, it flows like this:
  1. Custom Robo (N64) - Japan Only and released in 1999.
  2. Custom Robo V2 (N64) - Japan Only and released in 2000.
  3. Custom Robo Arena (DS) - Worldwide Release in 2006-2007.
  4. Custom Robo GX (GBA) - Japan Only in 2002.
  5. Custom Robo Battle Revolution [or just Custom Robo] (GCN) - Japan and USA only release in 2004 (either at the end of the timeline or is an alternate timeline depending on which is canon).

Plot and Evil Team General Gist:
The location is Earth for all of the games except for Battle Revolution, which takes place on a planet similar to Earth (which is why that game might be an alternate timeline).

Essentially the plots of Custom Robo (N64), Custom Robo GX, and Custom Robo Arena (the 1st, 3rd, and 5th games) are that you are trying to become the Champion of the Great Robo Cup. In order to do so, you need to win multiple tournaments. Eventually the Hero of each game wins and is crowned the new champion.

In V2 (the 2nd game), you are an aspiring Commander (a controller of Custom Robos) that battles for the Robodoc's research as well as learns at the Takuma Academy, a school for intense Commander Training, in order to become the best and eventually become the champion of the Great Robo Cup (this cup is pretty important in most of the games). I won't spoil all of it, but he eventually does win the Great Robo Cup (which is a Grand Battle coincidentally).

Custom Robo Battle Revolution (the 4th game and the 1st one that came overseas) has you be a young adult trying to fulfill his deceased father's dreams of being a Robo Commander. In order to become a strong Commander, he joins the Steel Hearts Bounty Hunters. I won't spoil all of the story (it gets dark FAST), but the Hero manages to save the world and is recognized as one of the strongest commanders of all time.

During your journey, you encounter an evil organization (or 2 in V2's case) that plots to take over the world. I'll keep them in spoiler boxes just in case if you don't want to read as they have key story elements in them. They are as follows (and their goals):

Custom Robo:
Dread Army: Lead by Shinonome (localized as Genome in Arena), this group plans to take over the world by enhancing their commanders with Nano Technology. They kidnap Yurie, one of the hero's friends, in order
Custom Robo V2:
Goliath Organization: Lead by Rokudou (localized as Amun in Arena) and an old part of Dread before they broke off, this group plans to take over the world by hypnotizing commanders with chips inserted in Commanders' Robo Cubes. In addition, they have Jameson, the ULTIMATE Autonomous Robo, and Majel, the Experimental Robo, at their sleeves. In addition, they were hidden underneath Takuma University and built up recruits by recruiting students at the school through a mole.
Custom Robo GX:
Nikaidou Group: Lead by Nikaidou, this European Electronics company plans to (you guessed it) take over the world by copying the mind of the hero through a mind scanner device and implanting his thought patterns in thousands of Remote Controlled Autonomous Custom Robos, thus making an army of reproducible soldiers.
Custom Robo Battle Revolution:
Z Syndicate (ZX Syndicate in Japan): Once lead by the Hero's Father, his death lead to a power struggle between Oboro and Eliza, two of the Z Syndicate's highest ranks. Both factions plan on using Rahu, an unknown monstrosity that was contained in a Custom Robo, in order to gain control of the organization. It is later revealed that the Z Syndicate was originally made in order to find strong Commanders that can stop Rahu, who destroyed all of the planet except for the Dome City that humanity currently lives inside of, but the lack of proper leadership clouded the true mission.
Custom Robo Arena:
Greybaum: Lead by Scythe, who impersonated Dr. Mars, they plan on (once again) taking over the world through Hadron, an Illegal Robo developed by Greybaum through Neo Brain. See, Scythe impersonated himself as Dr. Mars in order to gain access to Neo Brain's Robo developing technology. With access to one of the biggest companies (Lambda Ltd. was the other biggie when it comes down to Robo development), Greybaum was easily able to make as many Illegal Parts as they wanted without the owners of Neo Brain knowing. Once Hadron was created, they thought about making the Hero control Hadron. However, they saw that Liv, one of the Hero's friends, had the ability to give energy to others. So, they used her as a generator in order to give Hadron limitless energy. I won't spoil the details (someone actually dies in the story), but the Hero does eventually win and becomes the Great Robo Cup Champion.

Mechanics (this is a lot):
Basically, Custom Robo is a 3rd Person Shooter Action-Adventure RPG Platform Fighter game. Basically, you can't really nail it down into one category as there are SO many aspects to the game. Basically, both robos (or all 4 if 4 player in Battle Revolution is used) have 1000 HP and they are trying to get their opponent down to 0 HP before they lose all of their HP. Fights are VERY hectic (some fights last shorter than a minute, but the suggested time is 120 seconds) and it's very engaging due to the amount of options you have available to you. I'll list the aspects of each part in Custom Robo and what role they have:
  • Robo: This is your "character" in battle. Whichever Robo you choose determines several stats like mobility, aerial mobility, defense, knockdown resistance, attack power, hitbox size, air actions, and charge attack (in the 3d titles). For example, Ray (the main Robo in the series) has average stats, is able to dash 2 times in the air, and does a shoulder check as his charge attack. Flare, an Aerial Beauty Robo, has more speed but less offense and defense, is able to jump in the air 2 times, and does a wheel kick that can clear walls for her charge attack. All of the robos are unique in one way or another.
  • Gun: This is the main weapon that each robo uses. This weapon fires a (usually) quick round that deals (usually) decent damage. However, not all guns are bullets. There are guns that shoot off Dragon Heads, guns that are Drills, guns that launch Meteors, and so on. Also, most guns have 2 forms of attack. In the 3D titles, guns had a ground variation and an aerial variation. For example, take the Eagle Gun. On the ground, it fires a homing eagle at the opponent. However, in the Air, this gun will generate an Eagle that stays in place and then homes in after 3ish seconds, allowing the attacker to set-up combos. This is the main form of attack that Robos have.
  • Bombs: This is your secondary weapon. Bombs generally are more powerful than guns, but they are a tad slower. So, you primarily use them to block corridors so you can nail your opponents with your gun. You can also use bombs to follow up hits in order to create combos (very easy to do BTW). Some bombs also can be used as stunning agents. It all depends on the blast type. Some linger, others push sideways, some instantly knock you down, and some send you upwards. Overall, they are a very useful secondary weapon and are primarily used for blocking opponents.
  • Subweapons (Pods and Gunners): The 3D titles only have Pods, but GX also introduced Gunners, so I'll include both here as Subweapons. This part contains a mobile unit that travels on their own in order to explode on the opponent (Pods) or gun the opponent down (Gunners). Each pod behaves differently. Some pods track the opponent down, others stop right in front of the opponent in order to block passageways, some bounce aimlessly in order to make it hard to move, some are anti-air, some are landmines, and some act as combo tools. Overall, this part is useful for applying movement related pressure while allowing the player to do his/her own thing.
  • Legs: This part is not an offensive part (it's quite nice to others). However, legs affect your robo's movement capabilities. Some legs make you move faster. Some legs make you jump higher. Some legs slow your descent. Some legs even add an extra aerial action. Overall, they affect how your jump button and control stick/pad operate.
  • Action Chips: Appearing only in GX (a 2D game), this part affected your Robo's L+R action. Some allowed you to tackle through walls. Some allowed you to attack in any direction. Some allowed you to generate a force field to block attacks. Overall, these chips are VERY useful and allow you to perform unique actions.
One important note: There is NO wrong way to customize your robo (EXCEPT if you use the Bubble Gun). There are over 26 MILLION ways to customize a Custom Robo in Custom Robo V2, so there's no #1 best set. Certain parts counteract other parts (i.e. Dragon Gun crushes Bubble Gun users, Feint Pod Gs are good at stopping Little Raiders, Umbrella Pods are good against Aerial Beauties, etc.) and certain parts work better with others (Formula Legs with a Little Raider, Rayfall Gun with Metal Bear, Dragon Gun with Sol (both Sols), etc.), but nothing is TRULY bad if you think about your set and strategy.

Illegal Parts are parts that are upgraded from regular Legal Parts. Often evil organizations like to use them in order to assert dominance over others. However, these parts cause excessive mental strain to the user and the opponent. Often, the loser of the battle has a several trauma (due to losing and to using Illegal Parts) and gets knocked unconscious. The Custom Robo Association basically monitors the creation of parts in order to prevent these parts from being created. However, they TEND to be terrible at this as Illegal Parts appear frequently throughout the series.

Robos battle in Virtual Arenas called Holosseums. These Holosseums can have anything in them. Lava? Check! Ice? Check! Acid? Check! Tombstones? Check! Strawberries? Check! Chinese Bowls? You betcha! So, there's a TON of variety in stage selection that Custom Robo supplies. In addition, Robos can battle in the real world, but they endanger humans, so that's not done often.
Misc:
Custom Robos are stored in cubes known as Robo Cubes. These cubes house Custom Robos, which are 30 centimeters tall on average (still bigger than Olimar and Kirby), until they are ready to battle. When in battle, the Commanders (the humans, AI, or animals [in the cases of Caesar the Monkey, Cleopatra the Dolphin, and Cheepers the Parrot {all Marv's friends, coincidentally}]) transport their consciousness into their robo. Say I used a Custom Robo in a battle for example. I dive into the robo Tempest. Even though the body part Tempest is in the battle, I see through Tempest's "eyes" and control his body like my own. So, you're ALWAYS playing as the Hero, even in battle (unlike in Gotcha Force where you play as a Gotcha Borg, a sentient "creature"/toy). Custom Robos can also be used for other stuff like infiltrating a base and exploring uncharted territory (Yurie dives into her Robo Planet in order to talk to the Hero while she is trapped in jail in V2). So, you need to have decent concentration (at least Marv levels of mental concentration [that's not hard to do]) in order to use a Custom Robo directly. As mentioned before, you can program a Robo to act on its own, but generally Humans are better Commanders than AI.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Thanks for the support mate! :) I'll try to explain to you the general gist of it.

Timeline and Games:
Basically the Custom Robo series has a total of 5 games. Timeline wise, it flows like this:
  1. Custom Robo (N64) - Japan Only and released in 1999.
  2. Custom Robo V2 (N64) - Japan Only and released in 2000.
  3. Custom Robo Arena (DS) - Worldwide Release in 2006-2007.
  4. Custom Robo GX (GBA) - Japan Only in 2002.
  5. Custom Robo Battle Revolution [or just Custom Robo] (GCN) - Japan and USA only release in 2004 (either at the end of the timeline or is an alternate timeline depending on which is canon).

Plot and Evil Team General Gist:
The location is Earth for all of the games except for Battle Revolution, which takes place on a planet similar to Earth (which is why that game might be an alternate timeline).

Essentially the plots of Custom Robo (N64), Custom Robo GX, and Custom Robo Arena (the 1st, 3rd, and 5th games) are that you are trying to become the Champion of the Great Robo Cup. In order to do so, you need to win multiple tournaments. Eventually the Hero of each game wins and is crowned the new champion.

In V2 (the 2nd game), you are an aspiring Commander (a controller of Custom Robos) that battles for the Robodoc's research as well as learns at the Takuma Academy, a school for intense Commander Training, in order to become the best and eventually become the champion of the Great Robo Cup (this cup is pretty important in most of the games). I won't spoil all of it, but he eventually does win the Great Robo Cup (which is a Grand Battle coincidentally).

Custom Robo Battle Revolution (the 4th game and the 1st one that came overseas) has you be a young adult trying to fulfill his deceased father's dreams of being a Robo Commander. In order to become a strong Commander, he joins the Steel Hearts Bounty Hunters. I won't spoil all of the story (it gets dark FAST), but the Hero manages to save the world and is recognized as one of the strongest commanders of all time.

During your journey, you encounter an evil organization (or 2 in V2's case) that plots to take over the world. I'll keep them in spoiler boxes just in case if you don't want to read as they have key story elements in them. They are as follows (and their goals):

Custom Robo:
Dread Army: Lead by Shinonome (localized as Genome in Arena), this group plans to take over the world by enhancing their commanders with Nano Technology. They kidnap Yurie, one of the hero's friends, in order
Custom Robo V2:
Goliath Organization: Lead by Rokudou (localized as Amun in Arena) and an old part of Dread before they broke off, this group plans to take over the world by hypnotizing commanders with chips inserted in Commanders' Robo Cubes. In addition, they have Jameson, the ULTIMATE Autonomous Robo, and Majel, the Experimental Robo, at their sleeves. In addition, they were hidden underneath Takuma University and built up recruits by recruiting students at the school through a mole.
Custom Robo GX:
Nikaidou Group: Lead by Nikaidou, this European Electronics company plans to (you guessed it) take over the world by copying the mind of the hero through a mind scanner device and implanting his thought patterns in thousands of Remote Controlled Autonomous Custom Robos, thus making an army of reproducible soldiers.
Custom Robo Battle Revolution:
Z Syndicate (ZX Syndicate in Japan): Once lead by the Hero's Father, his death lead to a power struggle between Oboro and Eliza, two of the Z Syndicate's highest ranks. Both factions plan on using Rahu, an unknown monstrosity that was contained in a Custom Robo, in order to gain control of the organization. It is later revealed that the Z Syndicate was originally made in order to find strong Commanders that can stop Rahu, who destroyed all of the planet except for the Dome City that humanity currently lives inside of, but the lack of proper leadership clouded the true mission.
Custom Robo Arena:
Greybaum: Lead by Scythe, who impersonated Dr. Mars, they plan on (once again) taking over the world through Hadron, an Illegal Robo developed by Greybaum through Neo Brain. See, Scythe impersonated himself as Dr. Mars in order to gain access to Neo Brain's Robo developing technology. With access to one of the biggest companies (Lambda Ltd. was the other biggie when it comes down to Robo development), Greybaum was easily able to make as many Illegal Parts as they wanted without the owners of Neo Brain knowing. Once Hadron was created, they thought about making the Hero control Hadron. However, they saw that Liv, one of the Hero's friends, had the ability to give energy to others. So, they used her as a generator in order to give Hadron limitless energy. I won't spoil the details (someone actually dies in the story), but the Hero does eventually win and becomes the Great Robo Cup Champion.

Mechanics (this is a lot):
Basically, Custom Robo is a 3rd Person Shooter Action-Adventure RPG Platform Fighter game. Basically, you can't really nail it down into one category as there are SO many aspects to the game. Basically, both robos (or all 4 if 4 player in Battle Revolution is used) have 1000 HP and they are trying to get their opponent down to 0 HP before they lose all of their HP. Fights are VERY hectic (some fights last shorter than a minute, but the suggested time is 120 seconds) and it's very engaging due to the amount of options you have available to you. I'll list the aspects of each part in Custom Robo and what role they have:
  • Robo: This is your "character" in battle. Whichever Robo you choose determines several stats like mobility, aerial mobility, defense, knockdown resistance, attack power, hitbox size, air actions, and charge attack (in the 3d titles). For example, Ray (the main Robo in the series) has average stats, is able to dash 2 times in the air, and does a shoulder check as his charge attack. Flare, an Aerial Beauty Robo, has more speed but less offense and defense, is able to jump in the air 2 times, and does a wheel kick that can clear walls for her charge attack. All of the robos are unique in one way or another.
  • Gun: This is the main weapon that each robo uses. This weapon fires a (usually) quick round that deals (usually) decent damage. However, not all guns are bullets. There are guns that shoot off Dragon Heads, guns that are Drills, guns that launch Meteors, and so on. Also, most guns have 2 forms of attack. In the 3D titles, guns had a ground variation and an aerial variation. For example, take the Eagle Gun. On the ground, it fires a homing eagle at the opponent. However, in the Air, this gun will generate an Eagle that stays in place and then homes in after 3ish seconds, allowing the attacker to set-up combos. This is the main form of attack that Robos have.
  • Bombs: This is your secondary weapon. Bombs generally are more powerful than guns, but they are a tad slower. So, you primarily use them to block corridors so you can nail your opponents with your gun. You can also use bombs to follow up hits in order to create combos (very easy to do BTW). Some bombs also can be used as stunning agents. It all depends on the blast type. Some linger, others push sideways, some instantly knock you down, and some send you upwards. Overall, they are a very useful secondary weapon and are primarily used for blocking opponents.
  • Subweapons (Pods and Gunners): The 3D titles only have Pods, but GX also introduced Gunners, so I'll include both here as Subweapons. This part contains a mobile unit that travels on their own in order to explode on the opponent (Pods) or gun the opponent down (Gunners). Each pod behaves differently. Some pods track the opponent down, others stop right in front of the opponent in order to block passageways, some bounce aimlessly in order to make it hard to move, some are anti-air, some are landmines, and some act as combo tools. Overall, this part is useful for applying movement related pressure while allowing the player to do his/her own thing.
  • Legs: This part is not an offensive part (it's quite nice to others). However, legs affect your robo's movement capabilities. Some legs make you move faster. Some legs make you jump higher. Some legs slow your descent. Some legs even add an extra aerial action. Overall, they affect how your jump button and control stick/pad operate.
  • Action Chips: Appearing only in GX (a 2D game), this part affected your Robo's L+R action. Some allowed you to tackle through walls. Some allowed you to attack in any direction. Some allowed you to generate a force field to block attacks. Overall, these chips are VERY useful and allow you to perform unique actions.
One important note: There is NO wrong way to customize your robo (EXCEPT if you use the Bubble Gun). There are over 26 MILLION ways to customize a Custom Robo in Custom Robo V2, so there's no #1 best set. Certain parts counteract other parts (i.e. Dragon Gun crushes Bubble Gun users, Feint Pod Gs are good at stopping Little Raiders, Umbrella Pods are good against Aerial Beauties, etc.) and certain parts work better with others (Formula Legs with a Little Raider, Rayfall Gun with Metal Bear, Dragon Gun with Sol (both Sols), etc.), but nothing is TRULY bad if you think about your set and strategy.

Illegal Parts are parts that are upgraded from regular Legal Parts. Often evil organizations like to use them in order to assert dominance over others. However, these parts cause excessive mental strain to the user and the opponent. Often, the loser of the battle has a several trauma (due to losing and to using Illegal Parts) and gets knocked unconscious. The Custom Robo Association basically monitors the creation of parts in order to prevent these parts from being created. However, they TEND to be terrible at this as Illegal Parts appear frequently throughout the series.

Robos battle in Virtual Arenas called Holosseums. These Holosseums can have anything in them. Lava? Check! Ice? Check! Acid? Check! Tombstones? Check! Strawberries? Check! Chinese Bowls? You betcha! So, there's a TON of variety in stage selection that Custom Robo supplies. In addition, Robos can battle in the real world, but they endanger humans, so that's not done often.
Misc:
Custom Robos are stored in cubes known as Robo Cubes. These cubes house Custom Robos, which are 30 centimeters tall on average (still bigger than Olimar and Kirby), until they are ready to battle. When in battle, the Commanders (the humans, AI, or animals [in the cases of Caesar the Monkey, Cleopatra the Dolphin, and Cheepers the Parrot {all Marv's friends, coincidentally}]) transport their consciousness into their robo. Say I used a Custom Robo in a battle for example. I dive into the robo Tempest. Even though the body part Tempest is in the battle, I see through Tempest's "eyes" and control his body like my own. So, you're ALWAYS playing as the Hero, even in battle (unlike in Gotcha Force where you play as a Gotcha Borg, a sentient "creature"/toy). Custom Robos can also be used for other stuff like infiltrating a base and exploring uncharted territory (Yurie dives into her Robo Planet in order to talk to the Hero while she is trapped in jail in V2). So, you need to have decent concentration (at least Marv levels of mental concentration [that's not hard to do]) in order to use a Custom Robo directly. As mentioned before, you can program a Robo to act on its own, but generally Humans are better Commanders than AI.
Thanks for the info man. It helps me better understand the series and why Ray should be in this game.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Thanks for the info man. It helps me better understand the series and why Ray should be in this game.
Happy to help mate! If you (or anyone for that matter) want(s) any clarification about anything Custom Robo related or want(s) to participate in our discussions/other stuff, please don't hesitate to post on this board. We'll keep it updated with info and the like and are happy to answer any questions. :)

Last edited:

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
When I comparedd the Ray mk III AT from Brawl standing up to Kirby's full height, Ray was shorter than Kirby. Like a whole forehead shorter. In CRA (the DS one) the average Robo height was said to be 10 inches if I remember right. How tall is Kirby suppoesed to be in his games?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
When I comparedd the Ray mk III AT from Brawl standing up to Kirby's full height, Ray was shorter than Kirby. Like a whole forehead shorter. In CRA (the DS one) the average Robo height was said to be 10 inches if I remember right. How tall is Kirby suppoesed to be in his games?
8 inches. Then again, size never really mattered, right? Bowser? Olimar? Ridle-oh.

Mishudo

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if you guys keep up with the Smashified series, but apparently one of the characters OMNI is making has reflective surfaces....could be Ray?

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
You know, Ray's size is smash can be small because of Custom Robo or middle and large, as the characters are meant to be trophies
What do you mean by robos are trophies?

I really think it would be awesome if we got to see the commander of Ray while he is diving like we saw Pokemon Trainer in background in Brawl. The CR games show the hero diving whenever you start a batle and that should be represented in Smash as that is a big part of the CR games. The Ray models would have their respective hero commanding them from their games. Anyone think this is a good idea?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I really think it would be awesome if we got to see the commander of Ray while he is diving like we saw Pokemon Trainer in background in Brawl. The CR games show the hero diving whenever you start a batle and that should be represented in Smash as that is a big part of the CR games. The Ray models would have their respective hero commanding them from their games. Anyone think this is a good idea.
Smash characters are trophies coming to life, toys. Robos are very similar, correct?

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Smash characters are trophies coming to life, toys. Robos are very similar, correct?
You could say that. You could either supplant your mind into the robo or place an AI into it. Generally people do the former, so yeah, you can compare them to toys/action figures that come to life (kinda like in Smash 64).

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Can the owner add me to the support list.
I support!
Thanks for the support! You've been added to the list.
After hearing about how small Custom Robo's were for so long, I actually imagined them to be much smaller than they are. 10 inches is 25.4 cm, which seems like the perfect size for controllable fighting robot toys.
The scale was shown pretty well in this end credits pic from Custom Robo Arena. It's exactly like a Gundam model.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Thanks for the support! You've been added to the list.

After hearing about how small Custom Robo's were for so long, I actually imagined them to be much smaller than they are. 10 inches is 25.4 cm, which seems like the perfect size for controllable fighting robot toys.
The scale was shown pretty well in this end credits pic from Custom Robo Arena. It's exactly like a Gundam model.
That's a good reference picture actually. Can't believe I forgot about that.

Regarding the whole 30 centimeters thing (12 inches), I was going off the Glossary that Custom Robo Battle Revolution had:

"Custom Robo: The robo, averaging about 30 cm tall, is the realization of years of work in robot technology and engineering. Commanders control their robos with their minds."

I wonder how tall they would make him if he becomes playable in the future? He'd be taller than Kirby for sure, but would he be smaller than Little Mac when scaled to "Smash Size"?

Not sure if you guys keep up with the Smashified series, but apparently one of the characters OMNI is making has reflective surfaces....could be Ray?
It would be nice! I requested for him a couple of times on his YouTube videos, so that would be pretty sweet if he decides to Smashify Ray. :)

I really think it would be awesome if we got to see the commander of Ray while he is diving like we saw Pokemon Trainer in background in Brawl. The CR games show the hero diving whenever you start a batle and that should be represented in Smash as that is a big part of the CR games. The Ray models would have their respective hero commanding them from their games. Anyone think this is a good idea?
That would be pretty cool if they had the Hero pilot the Robo from the background. It would be a nice touch.

Top Bottom