• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of details from the Japanese originals. In the first CR, if you fired your gun, a bullet shell would fall out of the gun itself. Also in the 1st CR, whenever you fire your gun or bomb as well as when you have shot all your pods, your part that was used would de activate. Think CRA in diorama mode where you can de-activate your parts. Another detail of 1st CR is that when your viewing your robo, it's gun and bomb are retracted so that they show it's hands. All of those details should be included in the Ray dlc.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Just dropping in to say that I'm throwing my entire voting support behind Ray. Too often he gets left out of predictions and I want to stand up and be counted so that people know how popular he is. Ray MK III is, I believe, just as likely, and just as justifiable as Isaac for DLC candidacy.

I'm also 100% convinced that the only reason Ray and Isaac were removed from the AT roster was to free them up for possible DLC inclusion in the future.
I agree that Ray should get at least as much support as Isaac. I mean, 5 games, 6 trophies, a decent amount of stickers, and an AT is plenty enough to warrant decent support IMHO.

I do agree with you about the whole removing them from the Assist Trophy line-up indicates that they were thought of as DLC at one point. It's suspicious that 2 great franchises were stripped of their trophies and ATs after having a decent amount of representation in Brawl.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
$15 is a steal! Where'd you find it at that price?

All support is welcome here! :) Welcome to the Guild! :)
I found it at a used game store when I was in university (along with a bunch of other games - Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, Final Fantasy IV Advance, The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction... never managed to find Mega Man X Collection for a reasonable price, though, which was what I was looking for). Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I had to start from the beginning because the memory card that had the data on it became corrupted (the 1019 block memory cards didn't work well with the Wii, something that I didn't find out until it was too late).

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Speaking of details from the Japanese originals. In the first CR, if you fired your gun, a bullet shell would fall out of the gun itself. Also in the 1st CR, whenever you fire your gun or bomb as well as when you have shot all your pods, your part that was used would de activate. Think CRA in diorama mode where you can de-activate your parts. Another detail of 1st CR is that when your viewing your robo, it's gun and bomb are retracted so that they show it's hands. All of those details should be included in the Ray dlc.
That's pretty neat! I wonder why they didn't keep those details in the later games (barring GX as it is a GBA title). This SHOULD be included as part of the Ray DLC.

I wonder what the shells of the Dragon Gun would look like....

I found it at a used game store when I was in university (along with a bunch of other games - Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, Final Fantasy IV Advance, The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction... never managed to find Mega Man X Collection for a reasonable price, though, which was what I was looking for). Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I had to start from the beginning because the memory card that had the data on it became corrupted (the 1019 block memory cards didn't work well with the Wii, something that I didn't find out until it was too late).
Wished my school had something like that. All they sell are Apple Products, Board Games, and earphones....

Ah, the Wii Connect 24 error, eh? Had that happen to me at least twice. Hated how those cards were fried so easily. I gotta go through my save for a 4th time because of that. I don't mind though, BR is a great game. :)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Wished my school had something like that. All they sell are Apple Products, Board Games, and earphones....

Ah, the Wii Connect 24 error, eh? Had that happen to me at least twice. Hated how those cards were fried so easily. I gotta go through my save for a 4th time because of that. I don't mind though, BR is a great game. :)
Admittedly, it was about a half hour walk away (didn't have my own vehicle, and I preferred not to take the bus since I wasn't sure which one to take or when to get off); I just did a Google search for video game stores and my university's city.

It's fun replaying it, though - it gives me an opportunity to see all of the things that the Robos can do (I don't recall using pods all that much when I originally played), and it's nice to see all of the characters from a fresh perspective. I'm just glad that my save data for Viewtiful Joe stayed intact - I still hadn't beaten the second to last level on the highest difficulty, but I'd rather not have to go through that again!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I REALLY think Ray will be in Smash 4 as DLC. The very fact they removed two of the ATs who were, to my memory, highly requested characters pre-Smash 4 makes me think that he (alongside Isaac) will be in the game as playable characters. But we still need to vote for him no matter what! From what I've seen and gathered, Isaac is SERIOUSLY being requested as Smash 4 DLC. We should make sure Ray gets the same love and treatment!

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Admittedly, it was about a half hour walk away (didn't have my own vehicle, and I preferred not to take the bus since I wasn't sure which one to take or when to get off); I just did a Google search for video game stores and my university's city.

It's fun replaying it, though - it gives me an opportunity to see all of the things that the Robos can do (I don't recall using pods all that much when I originally played), and it's nice to see all of the characters from a fresh perspective. I'm just glad that my save data for Viewtiful Joe stayed intact - I still hadn't beaten the second to last level on the highest difficulty, but I'd rather not have to go through that again!
Gotcha. That makes sense. Still, Universities SHOULD have their own dedicated Video Game store just for convenience sake.

Ditto. I love Viewtiful Joe, but I'm stuck at Alastor's level (with the train). I did beat 2 and Double Trouble though.

I REALLY think Ray will be in Smash 4 as DLC. The very fact they removed two of the ATs who were, to my memory, highly requested characters pre-Smash 4 makes me think that he (alongside Isaac) will be in the game as playable characters. But we still need to vote for him no matter what! From what I've seen and gathered, Isaac is SERIOUSLY being requested as Smash 4 DLC. We should make sure Ray gets the same love and treatment!
I agree with you on that. I think they're basically guaranteed.

HOWEVER, we must keep our support for Ray as high as possible and vote for him! That way, his inclusion is ensured.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Ray is a big want of mine in smash. If he got added maybe that would be enough for nintendo to be like maybe we should make a new Custom Robo.

But then again :4falcon:

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
I agree with you on that. I think they're basically guaranteed.

HOWEVER, we must keep our support for Ray as high as possible and vote for him! That way, his inclusion is ensured.
eh,I won't say he's guaranteed. Wolf is the only one I'd consider "guaranteed" with K.Rool and Issac at "very likely", Ray being just behind. Which means he's still likely, but not guaranteed.

Honestly, I don't think I would be this supportive of Ray if he had remained an AT. If he had stayed I would've just acted like "eh, too bad, I guess I'll just wait until next game" or something along this line, and would've moved on. But deleting his AT(or any Custom Robo related stuff whatsoever) is going to be pretty jerkish of Sakurai unless he promotes Ray to playable.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
eh,I won't say he's guaranteed. Wolf is the only one I'd consider "guaranteed" with K.Rool and Issac at "very likely", Ray being just behind. Which means he's still likely, but not guaranteed.

Honestly, I don't think I would be this supportive of Ray if he had remained an AT. If he had stayed I would've just acted like "eh, too bad, I guess I'll just wait until next game" or something along this line, and would've moved on. But deleting his AT(or any Custom Robo related stuff whatsoever) is going to be pretty jerkish of Sakurai unless he promotes Ray to playable.
I totally agree! To remove just about ALL mention of Custom Robo from Smash 4 seems a little off to me...UNLESS Sakurai is planning something special for this series...

MustDash <NeDave>

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeDavid
3DS FC
1289-8218-1036
I will vote for Ray MK. As I've said before, I just love it and the series.

Hopefully something can come off from it, like a new game! Custom Robo and F-Zero GX were one of the best looking games on the GC and I really hope to see another game one day.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081

Hopefully something can come off from it, like a new game! Custom Robo and F-Zero GX were one of the best looking games on the GC and I really hope to see another game one day.
Yeah, I feel like if Ray got into Smash Bros it might be enough to get us a new game. Even if some people have never heard of him, his appearance as a playable character would probably be enough to get people more interested in the Custom Robo series. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Smash Bros is part of the reason Fire Emblem is as popular as it is.

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276

Yeah, I guess now I think about it Ray isn't really guaranteed. We do have to work hard for him. I do think he's more likely than some of the other choices I see in polls (even though I would like their inclusion as well)

That being said, the removal of his AT really makes me think that they have something planned for him.

Either that or Sakurai would be a jerk to the fans of Custom Robo. I'm hoping that's not the case though. I trust the dude and really like his work overall.

Welcome to the guild (or do we have an official name for us supporters?)! :)

I would totally buy a new game in the Custom Robo series in a heartbeat! I wonder if they will make the next game a handheld game or a console game (assuming another game will be made).

Yeah, I feel like if Ray got into Smash Bros it might be enough to get us a new game. Even if some people have never heard of him, his appearance as a playable character would probably be enough to get people more interested in the Custom Robo series. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Smash Bros is part of the reason Fire Emblem is as popular as it is.
Melee is basically THE main reason Fire Emblem got localized. Granted, there was that one OVA back in the 90s that was translated, but that lasted for only 2-ish episodes (they covered chapters 1-3 of Shadow Dragon and the Sword of Light IIRC).

I wonder how the series would've been if Marth and Roy were not included in the non-Japanese versions of Melee. They almost were removed (thank you play-testers for liking those characters and preventing their removal).

But yeah, Smash is a great tool to use for advertising. Marth and Roy's inclusions westernized FE and advertised FE6. Pit's inclusion gave birth to Uprising. Duck Hunt gave us the Virtual Classic title. Shulk advertised the 3ds port of Xenoblade as well as the Xenoblade 3ds skin (in Japan). Snake's inclusion introduced the MGS franchise to more people (and MGSIV was being made around that time IIRC). Etcetera.

So adding Ray would DEFINITELY help the series as a whole.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
This isn't actually out of the realm of possibility. After all, mega man does pretty much the same thing.

Btw, Ray 01 victory pose from CR better be a win pose, or I will riot. I did that pose like an idiot throughout elementary school, and I'll be damned if any version of Ray gets in the game and doesn't do that pose.

#VoteRayForWinposes

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I wonder if they could add all version of Ray kind of like what they did with Villager. As long as they're able to fit in the same hit boxes and all.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
This isn't actually out of the realm of possibility. After all, mega man does pretty much the same thing.

Btw, Ray 01 victory pose from CR better be a win pose, or I will riot. I did that pose like an idiot throughout elementary school, and I'll be damned if any version of Ray gets in the game and doesn't do that pose.

#VoteRayForWinposes
I could see the 3 stance victory pose being his victory pose and his arm back and forth victory pose being a taunt. I'm guessing another victory pose will be one of the kicking moves that a couple of the other models use. Dunno about the 3rd one though.

Still, I really do hope they reference the victory poses at the winner screen! :) I really like the 3 stance victory pose.

I wonder if they could add all version of Ray kind of like what they did with Villager. As long as they're able to fit in the same hit boxes and all.
I would totally be down for that. I could see them doing the following for the costumes:

1) Ray (no shades) from CR.
2) Ray MK II from V2 with Arena redesign (to make it easier to differentiate between Ray and Ray MK II as they look pretty similar in the N64 titles [II is a bit darker and has pink hair though]).
3) X-Ray from GX.
4) Ray Sky from GX (moreso based on Arena proportions).
5) Ray 01 from BR.
6) Ray MK III from Arena.
7) Ray Warrior or Ray Legend from BR. Can't decide. Maybe A.I.R.S. might work better here, but the other 2 have different models. Leaning towards Warrior as it is a bit more different than the others (even though it's based on 01).
8) Ray II Dark from V2 and Arena (for Dark color and shades).

They COULD pull a Little Mac and have 2 colors per costume (have the default color for a model and an alternate color for the same model [so each model gets 2 colors {i.e. Sky has Blue for 1 color and A.I.R.S. colors for the other}]). But that's not entirely likely.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Ahhh I'm so glad the support seems to finally be pouring in :,D I dug up this thread as soon as the ballots went live and commented hoping for more people to see it, and it's looking like it's starting to pay off! Thank you everyone for supporting Ray!!!!

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
2) Ray MK II from V2 with Arena redesign (to make it easier to differentiate between Ray and Ray MK II as they look pretty similar in the N64 titles [II is a bit darker and has pink hair though]).
3) X-Ray from GX.
5) Ray 01 from BR.
7) Ray Warrior or Ray Legend from BR. Can't decide. Maybe A.I.R.S. might work better here, but the other 2 have different models. Leaning towards Warrior as it is a bit more different than the others (even though it's based on 01).
Personally, I'd want to stay away from the sky models, because they look a little odd comparatively to the rest of the rays, and might not translate well with the 3d model swap. Worst comes to worse, just do both ray warrior and ray legend.

I agree though! This is a good way to keep Ray in a customizable way via costumes. He has to be all about customizing, no?

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I could see the 3 stance victory pose being his victory pose and his arm back and forth victory pose being a taunt. I'm guessing another victory pose will be one of the kicking moves that a couple of the other models use. Dunno about the 3rd one though.

Still, I really do hope they reference the victory poses at the winner screen! :) I really like the 3 stance victory pose.

I would totally be down for that. I could see them doing the following for the costumes:

3) X-Ray from GX.
5) Ray 01 from BR.

They COULD pull a Little Mac and have 2 colors per costume (have the default color for a model and an alternate color for the same model [so each model gets 2 colors {i.e. Sky has Blue for 1 color and A.I.R.S. colors for the other}]). But that's not entirely likely.
What I'm wondering with the idea of costume swaps being different Ray models is, what would the different parts look like by default. By that I mean, what gun, bomb, pod and legs would the initial design have. For some, like AIRS and Ray 2 Dark, they have parts that are specific to that model, but for the other Rays would they all have the same parts?

The amazing and difficult thing with Custom Robo in Smash is that there are literally too many possibilities. For some possible newcomers, making a moveset is difficult because there aren't a lot of things they can take inspiration from, but for Custom Robo it's difficult because there are too many possible attacks and parts.
I'm thinking for some Rays, using the original official character art as inspiration could be possible, but maybe just having all the separate costumes have 1 default part set to make modeling easier makes more sense.

P.S. Personally, for the costume swaps, I see AIRS as a better choice as it provides more colour diversity, was featured in 2 games rather than one, was a trophy in brawl, & represents the military subclass of robo's. However RaySky and AIRS would probably need there wings trimmed as that would extend outside the default custom robo hitbox.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Personally, I'd want to stay away from the sky models, because they look a little odd comparatively to the rest of the rays, and might not translate well with the 3d model swap. Worst comes to worse, just do both ray warrior and ray legend.

I agree though! This is a good way to keep Ray in a customizable way via costumes. He has to be all about customizing, no?
Now I think about it, having Lightning Sky Robos doing Shining Fighters' air dashes instead of a Lightning Sky's continuous air dash would look weird. That and the wings would be a problem with hitbox detection.

Yeah, it'd probably be best to use the 5 MAIN mascots and then have the 3 Illegal variations for Ray's 8.

What I'm wondering with the idea of costume swaps being different Ray models is, what would the different parts look like by default. By that I mean, what gun, bomb, pod and legs would the initial design have. For some, like AIRS and Ray 2 Dark, they have parts that are specific to that model, but for the other Rays would they all have the same parts?

The amazing and difficult thing with Custom Robo in Smash is that there are literally too many possibilities. For some possible newcomers, making a moveset is difficult because there aren't a lot of things they can take inspiration from, but for Custom Robo it's difficult because there are too many possible attacks and parts.
I'm thinking for some Rays, using the original official character art as inspiration could be possible, but maybe just having all the separate costumes have 1 default part set to make modeling easier makes more sense.

P.S. Personally, for the costume swaps, I see AIRS as a better choice as it provides more colour diversity, was featured in 2 games rather than one, was a trophy in brawl, & represents the military subclass of robo's. However RaySky and AIRS would probably need there wings trimmed as that would extend outside the default custom robo hitbox.
Regarding the defaults, I'm going to say that their default weapons will be the ones based on their official art renders. I wish I knew the names of the parts on all of them (though I'm thinking Ray MK III's art and Assist Trophy model use the parts Liv gives you at the beginning of the game). I do know that X-Ray gets the Gattling Gun 1st in GX (besides default parts).

The main character of the 1st game does use the following set in the 2nd game:

Ray, Sniper Gun, Dual Bomb C, Jumping Pod D, and Stabilizer Legs.

If I were a betting man, I'd say it'd be best to model the parts after their official renders (the ones posted on the 1st post of this thread) as well as any signature set (like the Laser Ripple Gun/Deva Bomb/Cerberus Pod/Phantom Legs set II Dark uses and has specific parts for).

Or we could take the easy way out and give everyone the default basic/standard part setup. Saves space and makes fewer programming issues.

I'm now kinda leaning away from adding the 2 LS Rays because of hitbox purposes with their wings and the fact that their air dash is the continuous variant instead of the standard 2 dash the SF versions of the Ray models have.

And yeah, Ray definitely doesn't have a shortage when it comes down to moves. Sooooo many good choices.

Ahhh I'm so glad the support seems to finally be pouring in :,D I dug up this thread as soon as the ballots went live and commented hoping for more people to see it, and it's looking like it's starting to pay off! Thank you everyone for supporting Ray!!!!
No prob dude! We all want Ray in Smash, so we try to show our support as much as possible.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
As far as default equipment goes on the model itself, I think it's be cool if they were canon to the actual equipment he had equipped, and he was the only character to receive cosmetic change when swapping custom moves.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
As far as default equipment goes on the model itself, I think it's be cool if they were canon to the actual equipment he had equipped, and he was the only character to receive cosmetic change when swapping custom moves.
Oh yeah, I'm DEFINITELY doing the Robin approach to the extreme with Ray when it comes down to aesthetics. I have him in my moveset (located on the front post if you wanna check) changing his parts whenever he does ANY move (except his pummel and his side Smash, which is his charge attack) as well as when he does a different action (i.e. Stabilizer Legs for walking, Formula Legs for running, Wide Jump Legs for jumping, etc.).

Now the tricky part about that is trying to get all of the models and different projectiles for all of the parts within a reasonable filesize. Hopefully it doesn't strain the 3ds version too much. Robin's books didn't seem to put too much strain on it, and they could be used as projectiles. So, I'm thinking they COULD do it.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
The default loadout for Ray mk II in CRA is basic everything. The loadout for Ray 3 shown in the eye-scan registration for him in CRA is shown below.

Flare Gun
Straight bomb (can't remember blast type)
Split pod G(probably off with the name)
Formula legs.

Just for those curious.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
The default loadout for Ray mk II in CRA is basic everything. The loadout for Ray 3 shown in the eye-scan registration for him in CRA is shown below.

Flare Gun
Straight bomb (can't remember blast type)
Split pod G(probably off with the name)
Formula legs.

Just for those curious.
Gotcha. Could've sworn Liv gave you the Flare Gun at the beginning, but she actually gives you the Flame Gun instead. But yeah, you're right.

MK II set is Basic Gun, Standard Bomb, Standard Pod, and Standard Legs.

MK III set is Flare Gun, Straight Bomb G, Twin Flank Pod G, and Formula Legs.

Spluni

Smash Rookie
Wow, there's a lot of cool and creative ideas floating around. I'm a fan of CR so it's great to see so many other contributors. Rock on, everyone!

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
i would like to be put on the list of supporters please. i've voted for him repeatedly now. XD

I just got a copy of Custom Robo Arena in the mail, gonna be playing it pretty soon. :D

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
i would like to be put on the list of supporters please. i've voted for him repeatedly now. XD

I just got a copy of Custom Robo Arena in the mail, gonna be playing it pretty soon. :D
I honestly thought I had, sorry about that. All good now.
Hopefully you enjoy CRA. There are a lot of secrets and unlockables to find in it.

Nice sig btw.

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
I honestly thought I had, sorry about that. All good now.
Hopefully you enjoy CRA. There are a lot of secrets and unlockables to find in it.

Nice sig btw.
Thanks, i made my sigs myself.

and so far i am enjoying CRA, it's just as good as i remember Battle revolution!

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
Yeah sweet sigs, I made mine too and I'm assuming Pyre made his as well? A bit of ingenuity goes a long way! I used Paint to make mine, what program did you use if I may ask? I'm pleasantly surprised also by the number of posts, the ranks of the Steel Hearts grow by the week!!! :b:

You know it'll be going in the right direction when Ray starts getting mentioned on the other character forums. Any posts to speak of so far? Also I'm wondering if any of you know about the status of his support in Japan, can anyone translate and see how popular a topic he is there?

I'm thinking for convenience's sake that Sakurai will use the most basic parts possible for Ray, and other parts will be represented as Custom Moves. You're right though that there's almost too much potential, for example I used to main a Strike Vanisher or Lightning Sky back in the day and those models play a lot differently from each other let alone the Little Raider and Big Ape! It would definitely be fertile ground for a clone character if one would be considered for the next game.

Remembering back to the games, one of the biggest advantages I think Custom Robo had over other properties like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh was that the robots were completely customizable by their owners. It's not like there were stock monsters and heroes and villains alike could have one. You had all the heroes and villains with their robos and they represented their personalities almost perfectly. Examples include Evil's quirky Juggler, Eliza's femme fatalle Athena, and Sergei's Lightning Sky Ruheil.

Speaking of them, what was your favorite/hardest boss fight in the games? I remember Oboro and Sergei stomping me hard many times before I managed to beat them during their dual villain battle back in the day!

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
i used paint for my Sig as well! just made a border, some lines, and threw in a pic of Ray MK III in it. took a bit of cleaning up to do though.

i am also curious about Japan's interest in Ray, from what i could tell Ray did seem to have a following in Japan as well. i can't read Japanese though, so... :/

and i always assumed he would just have the Basic parts, and maybe switch them up on the fly depending on the attack, like maybe he would use the Shotgun for the last hit on his jab combo?

Hardest Boss? i'd say from the top of my head Rahu III was a pain. but i haven't played Battle revolution in a while, maybe i should go back through it again.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Yeah sweet sigs, I made mine too and I'm assuming Pyre made his as well? A bit of ingenuity goes a long way! I used Paint to make mine, what program did you use if I may ask? I'm pleasantly surprised also by the number of posts, the ranks of the Steel Hearts grow by the week!!! :b:

You know it'll be going in the right direction when Ray starts getting mentioned on the other character forums. Any posts to speak of so far? Also I'm wondering if any of you know about the status of his support in Japan, can anyone translate and see how popular a topic he is there?

I'm thinking for convenience's sake that Sakurai will use the most basic parts possible for Ray, and other parts will be represented as Custom Moves. You're right though that there's almost too much potential, for example I used to main a Strike Vanisher or Lightning Sky back in the day and those models play a lot differently from each other let alone the Little Raider and Big Ape! It would definitely be fertile ground for a clone character if one would be considered for the next game.

Remembering back to the games, one of the biggest advantages I think Custom Robo had over other properties like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh was that the robots were completely customizable by their owners. It's not like there were stock monsters and heroes and villains alike could have one. You had all the heroes and villains with their robos and they represented their personalities almost perfectly. Examples include Evil's quirky Juggler, Eliza's femme fatalle Athena, and Sergei's Lightning Sky Ruheil.

Speaking of them, what was your favorite/hardest boss fight in the games? I remember Oboro and Sergei stomping me hard many times before I managed to beat them during their dual villain battle back in the day!
You guy made those sigs in Paint! That's really impressive.
The first part of my sig was made by @N3ON and is available here: http://smashboards.com/threads/siggy-icons-by-n3on-requests-temporarily-closed.395319/. I made the second part awhile ago with Adobe Illustrator (p.s. my old sig was made in Adobe Flash)

Also, you're completely right about the difference between Custom Robo and those other IP's. The interesting thing about Custom Robo is its defining feature isn't the Ray series, but rather the depth of customisation. That's why awhile back, we discussed how a completely new Ray model could be made specifically for Smash and it would still represent Custom Robo as a series.
Maybe new parts could also be designed for Smash to fit with all the Ray models and provide a standard starting set.

And anyone whose played Arena will know the Jameson struggle. That boss was a giant pain to beat.

Though I can't read Japanese, you can google search using the japanese letters for Custom Robo and Super Smash Bros which is カスタムロボ and 大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ respectively. There is some interesting stuff to find, but nothing I can make sense of.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276

Arena is a VERY fun game. There is a ton of great post game material in it and the combat is very fun and fast paced. It does have an emphasis on combos at times, which is pretty good too (though pretty much all titles have combos. The main difference is that this game has an active combo counter when using a multitude of weapons and charges). And Soul Boost and cleaning are wonderful mechanics as well. Plus, you can save anytime, which helps.

Wow, there's a lot of cool and creative ideas floating around. I'm a fan of CR so it's great to see so many other contributors. Rock on, everyone!
Great to have you mate! Any idea is a welcome idea! :)

I REALLY suck at art for the most part. I can do diagrams of room set-ups, but I cannot draw nice to save the life of me. Being able to do it in paint is pretty impressive in my book!

I do like the personalization that CR offers. I haven't really seen 2 NPCS have the exact same set-up that often (if not all the time). There are thousands of combinations to choose from.

And for me, Jameson and Rahu III take the cake for hardest bosses. Jeson forced me to camp while Rahu III ended my perfect run of Battle Revolution. I mean, don't they reduce the amount of damage they take by a large multiplier? I think Rahu III has the equivalent of 5000 HP after the defense buff.

Supposedly Ray is decently popular in Japan. I mean, that February poll had Ray as the highest newcomer from an unrepresented franchise. That being said, the last CR related game was the re-release of V2 on the Wii VC I believe. Supposedly he and Isaac are kinda like polar opposites when it comes down to popularity (Ray is more popular than Isaac in Japan while Isaac is more well known in the West than Ray), which is kinda funny as both were ATs in Brawl that were removed.

You guy made those sigs in Paint! That's really impressive.
The first part of my sig was made by @N3ON and is available here: http://smashboards.com/threads/siggy-icons-by-n3on-requests-temporarily-closed.395319/. I made the second part awhile ago with Adobe Illustrator (p.s. my old sig was made in Adobe Flash)

Also, you're completely right about the difference between Custom Robo and those other IP's. The interesting thing about Custom Robo is its defining feature isn't the Ray series, but rather the depth of customisation. That's why awhile back, we discussed how a completely new Ray model could be made specifically for Smash and it would still represent Custom Robo as a series.
Maybe new parts could also be designed for Smash to fit with all the Ray models and provide a standard starting set.

And anyone whose played Arena will know the Jameson struggle. That boss was a giant pain to beat.

Though I can't read Japanese, you can google search using the japanese letters for Custom Robo and Super Smash Bros which is カスタムロボ and 大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ respectively. There is some interesting stuff to find, but nothing I can make sense of.
Well, Shulk got new Monado Arts in Smash Bros (Jump and Smash weren't options IIRC), Samus got Jet Boots, Duck Hunt became a summoner, and Ness learned some new PSI moves, so I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Ray e re-designed parts for the game.

Thanks for the Japanese characters. Those'll help me a lot when searching some stuff.

And are you the creator of the CR Reddit page ToastyPyre? Major props dude for doing that!

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Rahu III was the hardest boss I ever fought in any game period. One of your teammates dies and you might as well quit because Rahu will win. Jameson wasn't hard, just use dagger gun and a fast robo to pepper him with chip damage.
Ray getting parts made specifically for Smash could be neat. But they should make it where customs have parts from the actual game. Also, to give Ray a unique final smash, they should make it his soulboost but he gets to fly around similar to the GBA version. They really should acknowledge all of the CR games somehow.

Also, right now, this thread is my favorite part about Smashboards, haha.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Arena is a VERY fun game. There is a ton of great post game material in it and the combat is very fun and fast paced. It does have an emphasis on combos at times, which is pretty good too (though pretty much all titles have combos. The main difference is that this game has an active combo counter when using a multitude of weapons and charges). And Soul Boost and cleaning are wonderful mechanics as well. Plus, you can save anytime, which helps.

Great to have you mate! Any idea is a welcome idea! :)

I REALLY suck at art for the most part. I can do diagrams of room set-ups, but I cannot draw nice to save the life of me. Being able to do it in paint is pretty impressive in my book!

I do like the personalization that CR offers. I haven't really seen 2 NPCS have the exact same set-up that often (if not all the time). There are thousands of combinations to choose from.

And for me, Jameson and Rahu III take the cake for hardest bosses. Jeson forced me to camp while Rahu III ended my perfect run of Battle Revolution. I mean, don't they reduce the amount of damage they take by a large multiplier? I think Rahu III has the equivalent of 5000 HP after the defense buff.

Supposedly Ray is decently popular in Japan. I mean, that February poll had Ray as the highest newcomer from an unrepresented franchise. That being said, the last CR related game was the re-release of V2 on the Wii VC I believe. Supposedly he and Isaac are kinda like polar opposites when it comes down to popularity (Ray is more popular than Isaac in Japan while Isaac is more well known in the West than Ray), which is kinda funny as both were ATs in Brawl that were removed.

Well, Shulk got new Monado Arts in Smash Bros (Jump and Smash weren't options IIRC), Samus got Jet Boots, Duck Hunt became a summoner, and Ness learned some new PSI moves, so I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Ray e re-designed parts for the game.

Thanks for the Japanese characters. Those'll help me a lot when searching some stuff.

And are you the creator of the CR Reddit page ToastyPyre? Major props dude for doing that!

I only made some additions to the subreddit like the banner, in hopes it would help Custom Robo popularity. Glad you like it.

Also, those examples of specialised Smash stuff does make a Custom build of a Custom Robo seem more possible for Smash. I love the "Duck Hunt became a summoner" line. The Dog calls upon the power of 1980's technology in battle.

Rahu III was the hardest boss I ever fought in any game period. One of your teammates dies and you might as well quit because Rahu will win. Jameson wasn't hard, just use dagger gun and a fast robo to pepper him with chip damage.
Ray getting parts made specifically for Smash could be neat. But they should make it where customs have parts from the actual game. Also, to give Ray a unique final smash, they should make it his soulboost but he gets to fly around similar to the GBA version. They really should acknowledge all of the CR games somehow.

That's a really good Idea to make a unique Final Smash. Being powered up for a short time is a bit boring so it could reference the GBA game by adding mobility, and maybe some of those Action chip effects would be cool.

p.s. I'm also loving this thread.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276

I'd have to agree that Rahu III is MUCH harder. Jameson was mostly just annoying for me.

I do think that Custom moves should be based on actually parts instead of them being "Big Dragon Gun" and "Focused Dragon Gun" like some of the other characters' customs are. I personally had the Dragon, Sniper, and Rayfall Guns as my neutrals, the Geo Trap, Freeze, and Gemini Bombs as my sides, the Acrobat Bomb, Robo Cannon (not really a part), and Short Tackle Action Chip as my ups, and the Round, 4-Way, and Seeker Gunners (pods that shoot instead of exploding) as my downs.

That would be an interesting FS actually. That would make it be more than just a Wario Man, Giga Bowser, Mega Lucario, and Giga Mac clone FS like I had. Sure, it might be similar to Charizard's and Yoshi's FS, but there are WAY more FS's like Wario's. Plus, GX should get more mention than just a Custom and a Costume.

And yeah, this thread is basically the only thread I frequent daily on this site. It's a pretty awesome one with awesome people talking about an awesome series and trying to get an awesome character from said awesome series in an awesome crossover series.

I only made some additions to the subreddit like the banner, in hopes it would help Custom Robo popularity. Glad you like it.

Also, those examples of specialised Smash stuff does make a Custom build of a Custom Robo seem more possible for Smash. I love the "Duck Hunt became a summoner" line. The Dog calls upon the power of 1980's technology in battle.

That's a really good Idea to make a unique Final Smash. Being powered up for a short time is a bit boring so it could reference the GBA game by adding mobility, and maybe some of those Action chip effects would be cool.

p.s. I'm also loving this thread.
Ah. I see. Thought you were the owner of the subreddit. Sorry about that. The banner loons nice though! :)

Smash is a wonderful thing once you realize that a dog can call upon 8 bit cowboys and exploding cans. XD

I'm actually thinking about changing my "Soulboost + Illegal Upgrade" FS to Zach777's "Soulboost + Zero G" FS. I'll post my take on it after I think about it for a while.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
So what is this guy's custom options? So you'll have a variety of ray models to choose from (I'm personally going to have a Ray Warrior). But what about his moves?

I'm thinking his specials are based on equipment. So for example.

B: Gun
F B: Bombs
D B: Pods
U B: Boots

So within each custom you'll have three of each to pick. For example

Guns
Dragon Gun: Long range slow moving fiery dragon head that everyone loves.
Needle Gun: Fires three shots at an angle and knocks opponents upward (Seems suitable in Smash)
Gatling: Great for spray and pray types.

Of course these are just example and I know a ton of other guns that would adapt well in Smash.

Boots will have to be a little different though. They can cause a special recovery (not featured in the game) but they can also affect his overall performance. So if you have ground boots he will fall much faster to the ground.

Now the real trick is can they also palette swap each item when you customize him?

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Boots will have to be a little different though. They can cause a special recovery (not featured in the game) but they can also affect his overall performance. So if you have ground boots he will fall much faster to the ground.
I like this. This is neat.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
COMPLETELY unrelated to Smash Bros (but related to Custom Robo), but I am planning on doing a large scale renovation of the Robopedia (assuming the people who moderate the Robopedia don't mind). I'm going to call it Operation Robovation (if you guys have a better name, please let me know as Robovation sounds too corny). I have ordered Custom Robo (N64), Custom Robo V2, and Custom Robo GX as imports. They SHOULD come in within a month, but when they (as well as a video recording device) come in the mail, I plan on recording the effects of each gun, bomb, pod, action chip, leg, sub-weapon, and robo part so the Robopedia can be an encyclopedia of knowledge on how each part operates (besides just words). However, I lack the means of recording Arena footage, so I might need some help with recording on that front. If you wanna help with ANYTHING (whether it may be cleaning up articles, providing footage, pictures, photos, or other stuff CR related), feel free to visit the Custom Robo subreddit (or message me on Smash Boards).

Also, kinda got a good idea for the Zero Gravity FS that Zach777 thought of. Ray uses Soul Boost, equips himself with the AIRS parts (barring the Legs and Body parts), and activates the thrusters on his back (that's how Robos fly in GX). The controls are as follows:
A: ARS-G02 Beta Shot (Fires 5 shots that pause for a moment and then home in at a fast speed). Can move while doing move.
B: ARS-G02 Alpha Shot (Fires 6 shots in Rapid Fire). Cannot move while firing, but deals more damage.
X and Y: Rising Slide (Borrowed from Rising Chimera superboss in GX). Basically a long range tackle attack that deals great damage. LOTS of momentum though like Mega Charizard X's spinning tackle attack.
Automatic: Circulation W Gunners spin and fire in all directions while following Ray. Also the Force Protector protects Ray while not attacking. If Ray is hit by an attack without the field, he takes only 10% of what the attack would've done due to Soul Boost and suffers no knockback or flinch.

The FS lasts as long as a Soul Boost does in Arena.

So what is this guy's custom options? So you'll have a variety of ray models to choose from (I'm personally going to have a Ray Warrior). But what about his moves?

I'm thinking his specials are based on equipment. So for example.

B: Gun
F B: Bombs
D B: Pods
U B: Boots

So within each custom you'll have three of each to pick. For example

Guns
Dragon Gun: Long range slow moving fiery dragon head that everyone loves.
Needle Gun: Fires three shots at an angle and knocks opponents upward (Seems suitable in Smash)
Gatling: Great for spray and pray types.

Of course these are just example and I know a ton of other guns that would adapt well in Smash.

Now the real trick is can they also palette swap each item when you customize him?
I did something SIMILAR to your interpretation when it came down to custom moves. I however did the following for my specials:

Neutral: Guns
Sideways: Bombs
Down: Sub Weapons (specifically the Gunners as I use Pods in other parts of my moveset)
Up: Recovery (which cover a variety of topic areas)

For the Guns, I used the following:
Default: Dragon. It's so darn iconic [especially the sound effect]. But yeah, the slowest but most powerful of the 3. SLIGHT homing.
Custom 2: Sniper. Quick and deals decent damage, but always goes forward. No homing. The original hero used it in V2 during the Grand Battles.
Custom 3: Rayfall. Delays the 4 shots, but they have AMAZING homing capability. Decent speed though.

So, it breaks down like this:
Power: Dragon, then Sniper, then Rayfall.
Homing: Rayfall, then Dragon, then Sniper.
Speed: Sniper, then Rayfall, then Dragon.

For the Bombs, I used these 3:
Default: Geo Trap. The range is soooooo darn helpful.
Custom 2: Freeze. The stun is soooooo darn helpful (if you don't hit it yourself).
Custom 3: Gemini Bomb: Fires 2 bombs (one ahead and one behind of opponent). Might change this to Dual Bomb C though. I've seen good combo uses of it in Arena (it was a combo challenge in said game where hitting the front one bounced you into the back one where the back one either bounced you forward or upwards [I forget which way]). That and Ray used it in the V2 battle.

So, it's basically between Range, Stunning, and Restricting Movement.

For the Gunners, I used these 3:
Default: Round Gunner. Surrounds Ray and fires off shots. Sounds better on paper. Not really too OP in actual application.
Custom 2: 4-Way Gunner. Stationary gunner that fires a fan of shots forward. Kinda like a better version of the Killer Eye item.
Custom 3: Seeker Gunner. Stationary, but is always aimed towards an opponent. Pelts them with weak shots.

BTW, all 3 of them have a recharge time so they won't be over-used.

For the recoveries, I have the following:
Default: Acrobat Bomb. Self explanatory, but a bomb is launched point blank. The bomb does no damage, but it does deal knockback. You ALWAYS go up.
Custom 2: Robo Cannon. Fires Ray out in Cube form. Arcs like Rosalina's recovery, but it doesn't go as far as the Acrobat Bomb.
Custom 3: Short Slash Action Chip. Attacks opponent in any of the 8 directions. Goes slightly less far than Falco's Quick Fire custom, but deals great knockback and damage.

They're all different, but they get the job done.

Though I am intrigued about your leg parts idea. I only used them as aesthetics. Would it be that the recovery is the same for the 3 of them but the special effect after the recovery move is different for each move (i.e. Ground Legs make you fall faster but have lower landing lag overall, Formula legs boost your speed but have you have a hard time stopping, and Long Thrust makes your jumps longer but uncontrollable)?

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
COMPLETELY unrelated to Smash Bros (but related to Custom Robo), but I am planning on doing a large scale renovation of the Robopedia (assuming the people who moderate the Robopedia don't mind). I'm going to call it Operation Robovation (if you guys have a better name, please let me know as Robovation sounds too corny). I have ordered Custom Robo (N64), Custom Robo V2, and Custom Robo GX as imports. They SHOULD come in within a month, but when they (as well as a video recording device) come in the mail, I plan on recording the effects of each gun, bomb, pod, action chip, leg, sub-weapon, and robo part so the Robopedia can be an encyclopedia of knowledge on how each part operates (besides just words). However, I lack the means of recording Arena footage, so I might need some help with recording on that front. If you wanna help with ANYTHING (whether it may be cleaning up articles, providing footage, pictures, photos, or other stuff CR related), feel free to visit the Custom Robo subreddit (or message me on Smash Boards).
I'm really excited for this project. I love that you're dedicated enough to get the Japanese game and I'm excited to see more stuff from them.

If you tell me what to record, I might be able to record stuff from Arena. I have a complete emulator save file, but sometimes the emulation is slow so it might take some time. If you need any pictures, from the game or just made from scratch you can ask me and I'll do it.

Also, I love that everyone knows each special should be a part. For me though, I always saw the side special as variations on the charge attack which is distinct per robo. so Neutral: Gun, Side: Attack, Down: Pod and Up: Bomb. The bomb being up was mainly for acrobat bomb, and then the other specials could be titan where he holds on as the bomb flies in an arc, and winder where he creates an explosion staircase giving himself three seperate boosts.

Top Bottom