• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
@ChainArmour712 Can I borrow that sweet sig of yours? If so, how do I put it on?

Man, this thread has been kicking up steam for the last few days I love it! It's nothing spetacular sure, but seeing more and more people finding this thread and taking some time to write in their support is very fun to watch. I need to go and make my own movesets as well...once I at least clear V2 and Arena that is.(Which I'll play after I clear Metroid Prime)

Rahu III was the hardest boss I ever fought in any game period. One of your teammates dies and you might as well quit because Rahu will win. Jameson wasn't hard, just use dagger gun and a fast robo to pepper him with chip damage.
Ray getting parts made specifically for Smash could be neat. But they should make it where customs have parts from the actual game. Also, to give Ray a unique final smash, they should make it his soulboost but he gets to fly around similar to the GBA version. They really should acknowledge all of the CR games somehow.

Also, right now, this thread is my favorite part about Smashboards, haha.
Yes, yes, and another yes.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Also, I love that everyone knows each special should be a part. For me though, I always saw the side special as variations on the charge attack which is distinct per robo.
See, I always thought that those should be smashes, that way you can represent three different charges without having to delegate them to customs. And I guess all parts as specials seems cleaner. But hey! If Ray gets in, who knows what'll happen?

COMPLETELY unrelated to Smash Bros (but related to Custom Robo), but I am planning on doing a large scale renovation of the Robopedia (assuming the people who moderate the Robopedia don't mind). I'm going to call it Operation Robovation (if you guys have a better name, please let me know as Robovation sounds too corny). I have ordered Custom Robo (N64), Custom Robo V2, and Custom Robo GX as imports. They SHOULD come in within a month, but when they (as well as a video recording device) come in the mail, I plan on recording the effects of each gun, bomb, pod, action chip, leg, sub-weapon, and robo part so the Robopedia can be an encyclopedia of knowledge on how each part operates (besides just words). However, I lack the means of recording Arena footage, so I might need some help with recording on that front. If you wanna help with ANYTHING (whether it may be cleaning up articles, providing footage, pictures, photos, or other stuff CR related), feel free to visit the Custom Robo subreddit (or message me on Smash Boards).
Ooo, sounds exciting! I would like to learn more about GX, considering its probably the most unique entry in the series.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I would love to see his standard attacks uses other weapons as well. So for example in some moves he pulls the sword gun out and stabs them. His up throw can use the knuckle punch and another attack can use the shotgun. A lot of those weapons could have closer range uses.

Oh and up Smash: Smash bomb.

so I loved Ray as an AT in Brawl and his design is pretty darn cool.

But I have never played his game(s). any available on the Virtual console for US?

PS how do you think his chances are and how are you dealing with his seemingly various versions?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

But I have never played his game(s). any available on the Virtual console for US?

PS how do you think his chances are and how are you dealing with his seemingly various versions?
Sadly, his games are absent from the VC at this time. I'm hoping that with the addition of DS games, we'll be seeing Robo Arena at some point, but that seems unlikely.

As far as his chances go, I would say he's definitely not out of the race. He appeared as an AT before, and he's had content in Melee and Brawl. So Sakurai knows of his existence. Also, Japan seems to be fairly fond of the character. Not to mention he could bring several entirely new ideas to the game, such as cosmetic change to match his customs, a fast, small projectile user, or perhaps even the ability to do one or two quick aerial strafes while shooting. Those kinds of things are present in the Custom Robo series, and I feel they would translate too well to Smash for Ray to just be passed over.

For the model of Robo, Ray 01 or Ray Mk III seem to be the general consensus on the primary Robo, as Ray Mk III is the most recent main model, and Ray 01 was the main model in the all-too-excellent Gamecube version of the game, Custom Robo: Battle Revolution.

Ray and Custom Robo as a whole just seem too accurate to the current state of Smash Bros for him to not be taken in serious consideration. Also, if you have the chance, definitely get your hands on a copy of really any of the games in the series. You will most certainly not regret it. It's truly a diamond in the rough.

Last edited:

camarosquid

Smash Rookie
NNID
camarosquid
He's no longer an Assist Trophy in Smash 4 right? Along side Isaac too. Does this mean something or... Maybe I'm just heartbroken because Midna has little to no chance of getting in now cause she's an assist trophy but I think Ray MkIII would be amazing. I'm a huge fan of mechas and stuff alike and even though I never played a custom robo game before I'd take this guy over Banjo or any other franchise rep anyday! (Aside from more Zelda reps of course. Smash 4 lacked any new ones...)

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
COMPLETELY unrelated to Smash Bros (but related to Custom Robo), but I am planning on doing a large scale renovation of the Robopedia (assuming the people who moderate the Robopedia don't mind). I'm going to call it Operation Robovation (if you guys have a better name, please let me know as Robovation sounds too corny). I have ordered Custom Robo (N64), Custom Robo V2, and Custom Robo GX as imports. They SHOULD come in within a month, but when they (as well as a video recording device) come in the mail, I plan on recording the effects of each gun, bomb, pod, action chip, leg, sub-weapon, and robo part so the Robopedia can be an encyclopedia of knowledge on how each part operates (besides just words). However, I lack the means of recording Arena footage, so I might need some help with recording on that front. If you wanna help with ANYTHING (whether it may be cleaning up articles, providing footage, pictures, photos, or other stuff CR related), feel free to visit the Custom Robo subreddit (or message me on Smash Boards).
I might try to add some stuff to the Arena articles, maybe.
Custom 2: Freeze. The stun is soooooo darn helpful (if you don't hit it yourself).
Speaking of this, I know in the games you can run into your own pods and stuff kinda hope they'd keep this if Ray got in, just to stay true to the character.

Once I finish Arena I'm probably gonna try and come up with my own moveset for Ray, looks like fun.
He's no longer an Assist Trophy in Smash 4 right? Along side Isaac too. Does this mean something or... Maybe I'm just heartbroken because Midna has little to no chance of getting in now cause she's an assist trophy but I think Ray MkIII would be amazing. I'm a huge fan of mechas and stuff alike and even though I never played a custom robo game before I'd take this guy over Banjo or any other franchise rep anyday! (Aside from more Zelda reps of course. Smash 4 lacked any new ones...)
Yeah, he and Isaac got the boot, some of the guys on here think it's because Sakurai might have considered adding them in as characters or DLC possibilities. Appreciate the support for Ray, and yeah I think Impa could be a cool character if she got in

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
You guys think the Bubble Gun could be used as a slower travelling gun shot to help with a stage control style custom set? I feel like his 3 sets of customs could all result in entirely different ways to play. Set 1 could be a midrange hit-and-run style, set two could be a zoner/stage controller, and set 3 could be a really aggressive set.

Last edited:

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Hey! I just made an account to show my support for Ray! I absolutely LOVED the gamecube Custom Robo game, it was one of my favorites! But then, over the years, I sorta forgot about Custom Robo, since there were no new games for it. But when I was playing brawl and saw a familiar robot come out of an assist trophy, I instantly remembered him and have wanted him in a Smash Bros game ever since! He's been my #1 pick. He just fits into the Smash universe too perfectly!

Also, an appearance in a Smash game could gather more interest for new Custom Robo games! The Custom Robo franchise has soooo much potential, a new game could be really cool.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
People creating accounts solely to show support for Ray...

We're on the right track, friends.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Hey! I just made an account to show my support for Ray! I absolutely LOVED the gamecube Custom Robo game, it was one of my favorites! But then, over the years, I sorta forgot about Custom Robo, since there were no new games for it. But when I was playing brawl and saw a familiar robot come out of an assist trophy, I instantly remembered him and have wanted him in a Smash Bros game ever since! He's been my #1 pick. He just fits into the Smash universe too perfectly!

Also, an appearance in a Smash game could gather more interest for new Custom Robo games! The Custom Robo franchise has soooo much potential, a new game could be really cool.
Welcome. We appreciate anyone joining the conversation. I'm glad this thread can remind people how awesome Custom Robo is.
Any thoughts you may have about Custom Robo or Ray in Smash bros, feel free to post it (I'll add anyones moveset to the front post if they're ok with it).

Hopefully they release some of the old games on VC. It's possible because they released Custom Robo V2 on Japanese Wii VC in 2008.

As far as his chances, he's definitely not going to be one of the most popular votes in the Smash Ballot. So I think he's unlikely, but since he's got a lot of potential and fits the Smash Bros formula, it will at least make some form of representation possible (like trophy's or maybe a song).
As for the various versions, the ideal scenario is them all as alt's. However, we all appreciate the idea and designs in the Custom Robo series as a whole, so any Ray model would look awesome in Smash Bros.

MM_Row

Smash Rookie
he'd be a dope addition to the roster , but how doess he fit in with Sakurai's 4 criteria ?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
- The character's inclusion must make people want to buy the game.
- The character must be unique
- The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.
- They must contribute to the game balance.

1. The character is decently popular in Japan, plus there's plenty of us supporters in the States. Sure, he isn't the most well known, but he has had 5 games created, and they were all excellent games to play. Plus if they include several concepts from the original titles, Ray could easily be one of the most interesting characters to play without a doubt.
2. Reasons described above, he has plenty of unique possibilities such as cosmetic change to match customs, perhaps the ability to make 2 airdashes after a jump to enable mid-air strafing while shooting, be a small, lightweight projectile user... There are plenty more reasons, too.
3. He was already an AT once, so he has been in the game already.
4. As far as contributing to game balance, it would just depend on if the dev team could make him right. And for a character with infinite possibilities as far as build goes, I feel that balance would be extremely easy for someone like Ray.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
he'd be a dope addition to the roster , but how doess he fit in with Sakurai's 4 criteria ?
Honestly, that is entirely subjective, and kind of dumb, because anyone can bend the words to fit their character.

But, if you insist:
- The character's inclusion must make people want to buy the game: Any custom robo fan will.
- The character must be unique: Maybe not so much, with mega man being another robot that shoots things, but Ray has customization going for him.
- The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros: He seemed fine to me when he was an assist trophy.
- They must contribute to the game balance: Idk, he's not a character yet. Imo, this is a stupid criteria, because you have to make the character before you can answer this.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I'm really excited for this project. I love that you're dedicated enough to get the Japanese game and I'm excited to see more stuff from them.

If you tell me what to record, I might be able to record stuff from Arena. I have a complete emulator save file, but sometimes the emulation is slow so it might take some time. If you need any pictures, from the game or just made from scratch you can ask me and I'll do it.

Also, I love that everyone knows each special should be a part. For me though, I always saw the side special as variations on the charge attack which is distinct per robo. so Neutral: Gun, Side: Attack, Down: Pod and Up: Bomb. The bomb being up was mainly for acrobat bomb, and then the other specials could be titan where he holds on as the bomb flies in an arc, and winder where he creates an explosion staircase giving himself three seperate boosts.
Thanks mate! I appreciate the kind words! The N64 system came in today. Now I just need are the Huappauge PVR recording thing I ordered as well as the games themselves (at this point, I'm likely going to use an emulator for GX [except for the Rising Chimera footage, which requires a link-up between a Japanese copy of Battle Revolution {playable on an English GCN thanks to Action Replay} and GX). Those will come in time.

Basically my aim for this project is to make sure that the Robopedia has accurate pictures, descriptions, and footage for each part (and important aspect of each game) as well as cleaning up the formatting of each page.

Footage wise, I'm thinking this would be best for each part and Holosseum:
  • Universal: Stats and model.
  • Body: Movement speed, cornering capabilities, air dash, charge (barring GX), jump height (barring GX), and victory poses (each Robo has 2 except for GX, which has only 1). Dunno about knockdown and defense though.
  • Gun: Short Range, Mid Range, and Long Range versions of each shot. Do this for both the ground and aerial shots (or alpha and beta shots in GX's case). Apparently some shots do more damage depending on the range (a Basic Gun did more damage when I was closer to the opponent vs. long range [I think 96 damage vs. 69 damage, respectively]).
  • Bomb: Aerial vs. Ground variation. Show effects of hit as well as damage (so I guess hit the foe with the bomb) and what makes it different (i.e. Acrobat moves you upwards, Titan has a large explosion, Freeze freezes, etc.)
  • Pod: Ditto.
  • Gunner (GX): See pod. I got this covered.
  • Legs: Kinda covered in the Body section, but it's primarily how it affects movements (jumping, air dashing, landing, running, cornering, etc.).
  • Action Chip (GX): Show what the effects of the chip are (Does it cause an attack (if so, where and how) or does it project a barrier (if so, how does it affect your robo)?). I got this covered.

I got GX covered completely and I'll get as much as I can for the console games (whenever I get all of the parts unlocked), but I cannot get footage of Arena at all. All kinds of help is welcome. :)

And the tackle could work as the side special as well. I do prefer having it be gun, bomb, recovery, and gunner, but I'm open for other ideas.

I would love to see his standard attacks uses other weapons as well. So for example in some moves he pulls the sword gun out and stabs them. His up throw can use the knuckle punch and another attack can use the shotgun. A lot of those weapons could have closer range uses.

Oh and up Smash: Smash bomb.
Sword Gun would be useful as a close range weapon. I use that (as well as kicks) in my moveset primarily as get up attacks and ledge attacks, but I could see it being used for other moves.

Smash Bomb is a must for the Up Smash.

Sadly, no VC games exist except for V2 on the Japanese VC on the Wii. I'm assuming Arena will EVENTUALLY come to the DS one, but I don't know when.

His chances are pretty decent overall. His series has had a decent inclusion in Smash (3 trophies in Melee, 3 trophies in Brawl, some stickers in Brawl, and an Assist Trophy in Brawl) and the Custom Robo series has 5 games over the span of 8ish years. Plus, he has a pretty good Japanese following. In addition to that, his AT mysteriously disappeared from the AT roster in Smash 4 (along with Isaac and a few others).

The main thing hurting him IMHO is the lack of a new game since 2007. Arena for the DS was the most recent game in the series (so far).

As for the multiple models, I'm thinking of having each model being a different costume (basically do what Bowser Jr. did with his costumes).
@ChainArmour712 Can I borrow that sweet sig of yours? If so, how do I put it on?

Man, this thread has been kicking up steam for the last few days I love it! It's nothing spetacular sure, but seeing more and more people finding this thread and taking some time to write in their support is very fun to watch. I need to go and make my own movesets as well...once I at least clear V2 and Arena that is.(Which I'll play after I clear Metroid Prime)

Yes, yes, and another yes.
From what I could tell, V2 is a VERY good title in the series. It has pretty much all of the original's parts and characters while adding new ones in. In fact, I think most of Arena's part selection are based on V2's part selection.

And yeah, looking forward to seeing what your moveset would be!
See, I always thought that those should be smashes, that way you can represent three different charges without having to delegate them to customs. And I guess all parts as specials seems cleaner. But hey! If Ray gets in, who knows what'll happen?

Ooo, sounds exciting! I would like to learn more about GX, considering its probably the most unique entry in the series.
I'll try to dig up as much info on GX's parts as I can!

Sadly, his games are absent from the VC at this time. I'm hoping that with the addition of DS games, we'll be seeing Robo Arena at some point, but that seems unlikely.

As far as his chances go, I would say he's definitely not out of the race. He appeared as an AT before, and he's had content in Melee and Brawl. So Sakurai knows of his existence. Also, Japan seems to be fairly fond of the character. Not to mention he could bring several entirely new ideas to the game, such as cosmetic change to match his customs, a fast, small projectile user, or perhaps even the ability to do one or two quick aerial strafes while shooting. Those kinds of things are present in the Custom Robo series, and I feel they would translate too well to Smash for Ray to just be passed over.

For the model of Robo, Ray 01 or Ray Mk III seem to be the general consensus on the primary Robo, as Ray Mk III is the most recent main model, and Ray 01 was the main model in the all-too-excellent Gamecube version of the game, Custom Robo: Battle Revolution.

Ray and Custom Robo as a whole just seem too accurate to the current state of Smash Bros for him to not be taken in serious consideration. Also, if you have the chance, definitely get your hands on a copy of really any of the games in the series. You will most certainly not regret it. It's truly a diamond in the rough.
You guys think the Bubble Gun could be used as a slower travelling gun shot to help with a stage control style custom set? I feel like his 3 sets of customs could all result in entirely different ways to play. Set 1 could be a midrange hit-and-run style, set two could be a zoner/stage controller, and set 3 could be a really aggressive set.
Truer words haven't been spoken. Ray would DEFINITELY fit in Smash 4 (ESPECIALLY because of Custom Moves) and everyone should try at least one of the Custom Robo games. I was hooked ever since BR in 2004.

The Bubble Gun would be interesting. Would it split like the ground shot or would it home like the air shot?

Thanks for the support mate! We welcome everyone!

And yeah, I agree that it stinks that there was no new playable Zelda character. I TOTALLY would've loved playing as Classic Ganon (my #1 choice for a newcomer from an already represented franchise) with the Trident and Magic. Midna and Impa would've been fun as well IMHO (both are fun in Hyrule Warriors as well).

I might try to add some stuff to the Arena articles, maybe.

Speaking of this, I know in the games you can run into your own pods and stuff kinda hope they'd keep this if Ray got in, just to stay true to the character.

Once I finish Arena I'm probably gonna try and come up with my own moveset for Ray, looks like fun.

Yeah, he and Isaac got the boot, some of the guys on here think it's because Sakurai might have considered adding them in as characters or DLC possibilities. Appreciate the support for Ray, and yeah I think Impa could be a cool character if she got in
Any help is definitely appreciated dude! :)

And I agree about how the blasts from the bombs and the pods should hurt Ray if he hits their explosion. Gotta stay true to the source material IMHO (that and to ensure that Ray isn't TOO OP).

Welcome to the guild mate! It's a blast to have you here! I would TOTALLY love a new game in the series. We must get a new one soon. :)

Using these 4 steps:

- The character's inclusion must make people want to buy the game: Custom Robo fans will buy him in a heartbeat. Those who love robotics and/or futuristic stuff will also like him. And fighting game completionists will purchase him anyways. Plus, he has a pretty good following in Japan (I see TONS of fan-art and the like when I was browsing Japanese sites).

- The character must be unique: TONS of Customization options. In fact, if you just look at Custom Robo V2, you have 63 body parts (64 if you include Jameson), 45 guns (46 with Jameson's), 43 bombs (44 with Jameson's), 47 pods (48 with Jameson's), and 22 legs (23 with Jameson's). That's a total of 126,049,770 different combinations (143,007,744 if Jameson was swappable in V2)! And that's just the 2nd game! I don't think any other character in Smash Bros has this much customizability as Ray. So, EXTREME Customization is Ray's specialty. That and he'd be a HEAVY projectile user (even moreso than Mega Man).

- The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.: Easy. He was an AT in Brawl and has a TON of content in Melee and Brawl already. So, he fits already.

- They must contribute to the game balance.: Developers focus on this. But because he has 126,049,770+ combinations total, he can be balanced easily.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Hey guys, I don't know if this is true or not, but I thought I heard that Mewtwo doesn't have custom moves. If this is true, do you guys think that this could be a common theme for DLC fighters? And if so, do you think this would hurt Ray as well as he relies on customization?

I really can't see any flaws with Ray being part of Smash. The only problem I see is his popularity.
Yeah, if he was more well known, then it would be a pretty easy choice for an addition to the Smash Roster.

I made this to show Ray Mk III as a Smash Bros render. Seems to fit the style.
Pretty good render there mate! :)

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
If DLC fighters cannot have customs and they really wanted to use Ray's customization options, then they could try to make it where he can switch parts by tapping buttons during his entrance animation. Just a thought.

Entrance animation is the animation during the countdown before the match begins. I do not know if my idea is possible though.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hey guys, I don't know if this is true or not, but I thought I heard that Mewtwo doesn't have custom moves. If this is true, do you guys think that this could be a common theme for DLC fighters? And if so, do you think this would hurt Ray as well as he relies on customization?
Yeah, for Mewtwo, it says something along the lines of "this fighter does not have custom moves" on the bottom of the screen when you go to customize his specials. Not sure if it hurts Ray's chances, though; it just means less work for the developers when it comes to making new characters.

Last edited:

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
Pretty sure it's true, I heard a bunch of people say this on multiple places on the forums, and in the Mewtwo social. I think maybe they just haven't added them yet, but we'll have to wait and see. This could hurt Ray a bit, but I don't think it'll be too bad.

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
My copy of GX just came in the mail today. Man, you can actually choose to sleep in for an indefinite amount of time at the start of this game! Thing is, your mom wakes you up each time you fall out of bed.

Anyways, the game seems pretty smooth so far and looks great on a DS Lite's screen (yes, there is THANKFULLY no region locking for GBA games)! I'll get more info for that game and will post it on the Robo Pedia when I get the chance (looks like weekends will be the prime days that I can upload stuff on the site).

If DLC fighters cannot have customs and they really wanted to use Ray's customization options, then they could try to make it where he can switch parts by tapping buttons during his entrance animation. Just a thought.

Entrance animation is the animation during the countdown before the match begins. I do not know if my idea is possible though.
They could do that. Maybe they could also have it where Down B changes the other 3 special moves. But that would be a semi-form change, and I don't know if they would have that anymore.

Yeah, for Mewtwo, it says something along the lines of "this fighter does not have custom moves" on the bottom of the screen when you go to customize his specials. Not sure if it hurts Ray's chances, though; it just means less work for the developers when it comes to making new characters.
That's one way of thinking that. Didn't think about it that way.

Pretty sure it's true, I heard a bunch of people say this on multiple places on the forums, and in the Mewtwo social. I think maybe they just haven't added them yet, but we'll have to wait and see. This could hurt Ray a bit, but I don't think it'll be too bad.
I do hope that it's just a temporary thing. Not having customs for DLC fighters would hurt them in general when it comes down to competitive play IMHO. PLUS it makes them seem less valuable than the ones that were put in to start with.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Well on the main board they showed that there is some unfinished custom moves for Mewtwo. So now its likely they'll patch him in future updates. So that's good news for Ray.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Well on the main board they showed that there is some unfinished custom moves for Mewtwo. So now its likely they'll patch him in future updates. So that's good news for Ray.
That's good! Seems like Customs ARE intended for DLC characters. You think that Mewtwo is a timed exclusive but not his customs?

Also, kinda unrelated to CR, but you think those Ryu and Roy victory sound clips are important?

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
I do hope that it's just a temporary thing. Not having customs for DLC fighters would hurt them in general when it comes down to competitive play IMHO. PLUS it makes them seem less valuable than the ones that were put in to start with.
Oh, I thought you meant hurt him in terms of getting into the game or something. Yeah it could definitely hurt his viability as a character, of course that also depends on whether or not Sakurai gives him good customs. Although I feel he probably would get good customs, there's a lot to work with.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Oh, I thought you meant hurt him in terms of getting into the game or something. Yeah it could definitely hurt his viability as a character, of course that also depends on whether or not Sakurai gives him good customs. Although I feel he probably would get good customs, there's a lot to work with.
Actually, you did get my original question the 1st time, but I do agree with you in this as well.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
That's good! Seems like Customs ARE intended for DLC characters. You think that Mewtwo is a timed exclusive but not his customs?

Also, kinda unrelated to CR, but you think those Ryu and Roy victory sound clips are important?
Maybe they were just pressured into pushing him out on time and will add the customs later (I hope they're not going to charge people for it). As for Roy and Ryu I'm not sure. They could have been thinking on who to put in Smash in the middle of the project and just left some of the files in there. Ryu and Megaman were the top choices for Capcom's reps. Now does this mean they will be added later on? I don't know but they are very popular.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Maybe they were just pressured into pushing him out on time and will add the customs later (I hope they're not going to charge people for it). As for Roy and Ryu I'm not sure. They could have been thinking on who to put in Smash in the middle of the project and just left some of the files in there. Ryu and Megaman were the top choices for Capcom's reps. Now does this mean they will be added later on? I don't know but they are very popular.
the issue with that theory is that the files weren't present before the patch.

With that being brought up, it does raise concerns for how many ballot characters are going to be included. Those characters (if really coming) were clearly planned before the ballots were in. With Roy, Ryu, Lucas, and Mewtwo, who knows how much room for ballot characters there will be in Smash 4.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
My recording device managed to come in, so I can finally start recording some Battle Revolution stuff for the Robo Pedia! All I just need in the mail are CR1, V2, and BR Japanese version (for Rising Chimera).

Also, I was thinking about costume related stuff during my free time. What if we have the costumes be more than just the Ray models? What if we had 16 costumes that represent the majority of Shining Fighters in the series? Here is a list of them:
  • Ray (CR1, V2, and Arena)
  • Sol (CR1 and V2)
  • Dim/Dusk (CR1, V2, and Arena)
  • Ray MK II (V2 and Arena)
  • Shade (V2)
  • Ray II Dark (V2 and Arena)
  • X-Ray (GX and Arena)
  • Sol MK II (GX)
  • Photon (GX)
  • Night (GX)
  • Dark Sam (not joking, that's his name. GX)
  • Garapon (Garbage Robo from GX)
  • Ray 01 (BR and Arena)
  • Glory (BR)
  • Splendor (BR)
  • Ray Legend (BR)
  • Ray Warrior (BR)
  • Oil Can (BR)
  • Ray MK III (Arena)
  • Apollo (Arena)
A possible idea.

I hope they release customs later.

Regarding those 2, the files were included with the patch, so it wasn't leftover data from the game prior to launch. Dunno what it'll mean though.

the issue with that theory is that the files weren't present before the patch.

With that being brought up, it does raise concerns for how many ballot characters are going to be included. Those characters (if really coming) were clearly planned before the ballots were in. With Roy, Ryu, Lucas, and Mewtwo, who knows how much room for ballot characters there will be in Smash 4.
The way I see it is that they were/are already working on them (if this is true). So, that means that votes towards either of them wouldn't be included if Nintendo decided to do something like a top 7 1st/2nd party and then top 3 3rd party or something to that effect. Thus, this would help us a bit if this scenario was true.

On the flipside, it could also mean that some resources that were originally planned for the Fighter Ballot will be focused on those 2 fighters instead of those voted for in the fighter ballot. This could lead to fewer FB DLC fighters (potentially). This would hurt us a bit if this scenario is true.

I'm hoping that there will be enough space for them to add Ray.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I try not to focus on too much on how many slots are available. I don't know how much more data can be added to the game or if different fighters would use up more data than others. I'm just going to advocate the characters I want because its fun.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I try not to focus on too much on how many slots are available. I don't know how much more data can be added to the game or if different fighters would use up more data than others. I'm just going to advocate the characters I want because its fun.
I've always been careful with how hopeful I am with Smash Rosters. Originally I thought there would be nothing after the first 52 characters, and then DLC was announced. So I thought Mewtwo would be it, then Lucas was announced. At this point I'm starting to think there will be a constant stream of DLC for about a year but who knows.
I completely agree with your final point though. I love all this advocating for characters.
At this time, I think having Ray as a DLC character would be less exciting than having a new Custom Robo game.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
At this time, I think having Ray as a DLC character would be less exciting than having a new Custom Robo game.
THIS. First and foremost should really be getting this game back on the map.

If this thread really has a list of goals, it'd probably be this:

1. Get a new custom robo game
  2. Get a custom robo in smash
  3. Update the wiki

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I'd agree as well. Game is highest priority, but having a character in Smash would be nice as well. If I had to choose between the two, I'd say Game over Character, but both would be nice.

I'll be fixing the Wiki as we speak (in case if it seems as though I don't respond as much as usual). I just added some info on the GX Hero and am recording some footage of GX. For me, the order of my recording will likely be GX, then BR, then either CR1 or V2 (depends on which one comes in 1st).

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I disagree. I think having him in Smash is the number one priority. Look at all the other series that had a major boost to their popularity for being in Smash.

1. Fire Emblem: Never featured outside the United States until Marth and Roy appeared
2. Xenoblade Chronicles: Most people didn't even know about the game until they saw Shulk
3. Captain Rainbow: Now that he has a trophy people are actually talking about him. Before Smash 4 he wasn't liked at all (Just look at the thread I made on it).
4. Kid Icarus: After puting Pit in the game Sakurai wanted to make a new Kid Icarus game which was largely successful.
5. Custom Robo: The main reason I got looking into custom Robo was the cool trophies featured in Melee. If it wasn't for Smash I probably wouldn't have him as my most wanted.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Master Rapier. Ray in Smash would be better for the series. Everybody I have seen who likes Custom Robo got one of the games either by accident or seeing it in a store and buying it by whim. The CR series really needs better advertising to be more succesful and Smash would be the best advertising it could get honestly.

Also, it is really good that you are updating wiki @ The One Who Wrote This The One Who Wrote This

For Robo bodies, will you be including the attack multiplier for the robo as well? I would love it if you linked your first wiki page for CR here.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Let's not forget what Smash has done for F-Zero.... Might as well change Falcon's logo to the Smash logo >.>

But in all honesty, I do think Smash would be a great benefit for the series. F-Zero was probably just an odd situation since it had to compete with it's own company's game, that being Mariokart. Custom Robo would probably be a completely different case

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I'd agree as well. Game is highest priority, but having a character in Smash would be nice as well. If I had to choose between the two, I'd say Game over Character, but both would be nice.

I'll be fixing the Wiki as we speak (in case if it seems as though I don't respond as much as usual). I just added some info on the GX Hero and am recording some footage of GX. For me, the order of my recording will likely be GX, then BR, then either CR1 or V2 (depends on which one comes in 1st).
It's seriously impressive that you're adding all that info. I hope Robopedia will be a hub for all CR knowledge.
However, does anyone know how to edit the page layouts. The front page is a bit unnapealing for newcomers and the sites a bit difficult to navigate.

I disagree. I think having him in Smash is the number one priority. Look at all the other series that had a major boost to their popularity for being in Smash.

1. Fire Emblem: Never featured outside the United States until Marth and Roy appeared
2. Xenoblade Chronicles: Most people didn't even know about the game until they saw Shulk
3. Captain Rainbow: Now that he has a trophy people are actually talking about him. Before Smash 4 he wasn't liked at all (Just look at the thread I made on it).
4. Kid Icarus: After puting Pit in the game Sakurai wanted to make a new Kid Icarus game which was largely successful.
5. Custom Robo: The main reason I got looking into custom Robo was the cool trophies featured in Melee. If it wasn't for Smash I probably wouldn't have him as my most wanted.
I seriously hope Noise has learnt how to advertise, but judging by the performance of their recent games ('Go Go Cosmo Cops' having a cancelled Japanese release, and 'Gyrozetter: Wings of the Albatross' selling very poorly in Japan) I think Smash bros might be the only way to advertise Noise games.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Edit: I have made a video for a body part in GX and was wondering how I can improve it (besides quality as it's a GBA title and looks a TON better if shrunk down in size). I've used Messier as the test subject. Please let me know what you think about it and how I can improve it (i.e. do an actual match instead of a practice one to show the victory screen and defense/knockdown stats [as GX doesn't show attack values], should I use basic parts for parts standardization between all robos, etc.).

Edit (Again): Robo Pedia page of Messier. I didn't create it, but I revamped it. Where should the video section be at? http://customrobo.wikia.com/wiki/Messier

Edit (Once again): Made major edits to Claymore, Bigfoot, Flare MK II, X-Ray (the GX portion of the page [might need to clean-up the GX stats section]), and a tiny bit of Majel and Rakansen. Feel free to make edits to those pages as well. I still need to record footage, but I'll refrain from that until I know if changes should be made to the Messier test video.

Original Post: Now that I think about it, I think it's pretty important to have BOTH a new game and to have Ray in Smash. Let's see 2 scenarios. I won't say which is more important though as that's kinda subjective based on people's POVs.

1. Say Ray is added as a character before a new game comes out. People's interests in the Custom Robo series will be piqued (ala FE, KI, etc.) and another game will be made in order to draw more people in the series.
  2. Say a new game is made. People will play it and if it is fun to play (no real if unless if they have a dumb design implementation), then people will know more about Ray and will support his inclusion in Smash, EVENTUALLY leading to his inclusion.
Now, I would still prefer to have a new game over having a new character in Smash, but in order to have the new game, the new character is BASICALLY necessary (ESPECIALLY because of Noise's track record of advertising).

That and I want to beat my college friends who pick Mewtwo, Robin, and Lucario with a toy robot. :grin:

I agree with Master Rapier. Ray in Smash would be better for the series. Everybody I have seen who likes Custom Robo got one of the games either by accident or seeing it in a store and buying it by whim. The CR series really needs better advertising to be more succesful and Smash would be the best advertising it could get honestly.

Also, it is really good that you are updating wiki @ The One Who Wrote This The One Who Wrote This

For Robo bodies, will you be including the attack multiplier for the robo as well? I would love it if you linked your first wiki page for CR here.
Thanks! And sure! I'll try to link an example of a page for suggestions on how to improve it (basically this is the 1st time I've worked with editing pages in a major manner as well as making videos for wikis).

Oh, and for Robo bodies, I will include ALL stats for Robos that are provided for the game (for example, V2 has Attack Multiplier, Defense, Knockdown/Endurance, Speed, and Aerial/Jump). Wanna make sure it has all necessary stats. :)

I added the section for GX's Hero on this page. Any suggestions (and if you want to clean up the other heroes' sections [and add V2's hero], feel free to) are DEFINITELY welcome. I tend to ramble a bit too much for some reason. http://customrobo.wikia.com/wiki/Hero

Edit: You guys think it'd be wiser if EACH of the Heroes got their own page?

Let's not forget what Smash has done for F-Zero.... Might as well change Falcon's logo to the Smash logo >.>

But in all honesty, I do think Smash would be a great benefit for the series. F-Zero was probably just an odd situation since it had to compete with it's own company's game, that being Mariokart. Custom Robo would probably be a completely different case
I REALLY do hope that Ray still gets more games after his inclusion in Smash (whenever that happens).

It's seriously impressive that you're adding all that info. I hope Robopedia will be a hub for all CR knowledge.
However, does anyone know how to edit the page layouts. The front page is a bit unnapealing for newcomers and the sites a bit difficult to navigate.

I seriously hope Noise has learnt how to advertise, but judging by the performance of their recent games ('Go Go Cosmo Cops' having a cancelled Japanese release, and 'Gyrozetter: Wings of the Albatross' selling very poorly in Japan) I think Smash bros might be the only way to advertise Noise games.
Yeah, the front page (and the pages in general) do look like they need a LOT of attention. I see poor grammar, poor placement of photos and thumbnails, and just confusing design choices overall. This'll take a LOT of work and time.

And Smash is the best way to advertise at this point. Noise only has 21 employees at the moment. That isn't too much overall (especially when compared to Nintendo's 4,425 Employees in 2010 [the number is likely different as 5 years is a LONG time, but you get the picture]).

Edit: Found this footage on the Reddit Page that showed that someone has started on a fangame version of the Custom Robo series (with Battle Revolution music). Hopefully he/she gets pretty far!

Edit (Again): Here's the link to the site where you can actually download the game off Google Drive: http://inochizuna.blog.fc2.com/

Last edited:

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Edit: I have made a video for a body part in GX and was wondering how I can improve it (besides quality as it's a GBA title and looks a TON better if shrunk down in size). I've used Messier as the test subject. Please let me know what you think about it and how I can improve it (i.e. do an actual match instead of a practice one to show the victory screen and defense/knockdown stats [as GX doesn't show attack values], should I use basic parts for parts standardization between all robos, etc.).

Edit (Again): Robo Pedia page of Messier. I didn't create it, but I revamped it. Where should the video section be at? http://customrobo.wikia.com/wiki/Messier

Edit (Once again): Made major edits to Claymore, Bigfoot, Flare MK II, X-Ray (the GX portion of the page [might need to clean-up the GX stats section]), and a tiny bit of Majel and Rakansen. Feel free to make edits to those pages as well. I still need to record footage, but I'll refrain from that until I know if changes should be made to the Messier test video.

Original Post: Now that I think about it, I think it's pretty important to have BOTH a new game and to have Ray in Smash. Let's see 2 scenarios. I won't say which is more important though as that's kinda subjective based on people's POVs.

1. Say Ray is added as a character before a new game comes out. People's interests in the Custom Robo series will be piqued (ala FE, KI, etc.) and another game will be made in order to draw more people in the series.
  2. Say a new game is made. People will play it and if it is fun to play (no real if unless if they have a dumb design implementation), then people will know more about Ray and will support his inclusion in Smash, EVENTUALLY leading to his inclusion.
Now, I would still prefer to have a new game over having a new character in Smash, but in order to have the new game, the new character is BASICALLY necessary (ESPECIALLY because of Noise's track record of advertising).

That and I want to beat my college friends who pick Mewtwo, Robin, and Lucario with a toy robot. :grin:

Thanks! And sure! I'll try to link an example of a page for suggestions on how to improve it (basically this is the 1st time I've worked with editing pages in a major manner as well as making videos for wikis).

Oh, and for Robo bodies, I will include ALL stats for Robos that are provided for the game (for example, V2 has Attack Multiplier, Defense, Knockdown/Endurance, Speed, and Aerial/Jump). Wanna make sure it has all necessary stats. :)

I added the section for GX's Hero on this page. Any suggestions (and if you want to clean up the other heroes' sections [and add V2's hero], feel free to) are DEFINITELY welcome. I tend to ramble a bit too much for some reason. http://customrobo.wikia.com/wiki/Hero

Edit: You guys think it'd be wiser if EACH of the Heroes got their own page?

I REALLY do hope that Ray still gets more games after his inclusion in Smash (whenever that happens).

Yeah, the front page (and the pages in general) do look like they need a LOT of attention. I see poor grammar, poor placement of photos and thumbnails, and just confusing design choices overall. This'll take a LOT of work and time.

And Smash is the best way to advertise at this point. Noise only has 21 employees at the moment. That isn't too much overall (especially when compared to Nintendo's 4,425 Employees in 2010 [the number is likely different as 5 years is a LONG time, but you get the picture]).

Edit: Found this footage on the Reddit Page that showed that someone has started on a fangame version of the Custom Robo series (with Battle Revolution music). Hopefully he/she gets pretty far!

Edit (Again): Here's the link to the site where you can actually download the game off Google Drive: http://inochizuna.blog.fc2.com/
Well done on editing the wiki so quickly. I've given my feedback on the video on the Reddit thread, but I just want to say thank you for taking the initiative to improve Custom Robo information online. Can I also mention how cool it is that Custom Robo has Robopedia.

Those pages you edited look miles better than the past pages. I think the video should go above strategy, because as a viewer of this website most people would be more interested in seeing game-play rather than reading about it.

You seem to understand GX pretty well, do you know some Japanese? I ask because I've wanted a proper translation of this webpage (http://www.noise-games.com/essay/essay_15.html) which seems to outline when Noise asked Sakurai why Ray wasn't in Smash. Could be useful.

P.S. Does anyone know where I can find a 3D model of Ray 01? I've been able to make a lot of stuff with the BrawlBox Ray Mk III model, but I can't find any Ray 01 models.

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Well done on editing the wiki so quickly. I've given my feedback on the video on the Reddit thread, but I just want to say thank you for taking the initiative to improve Custom Robo information online. Can I also mention how cool it is that Custom Robo has Robopedia.

Those pages you edited look miles better than the past pages. I think the video should go above strategy, because as a viewer of this website most people would be more interested in seeing game-play rather than reading about it.

You seem to understand GX pretty well, do you know some Japanese? I ask because I've wanted a proper translation of this webpage (http://www.noise-games.com/essay/essay_15.html) which seems to outline when Noise asked Sakurai why Ray wasn't in Smash. Could be useful.

P.S. Does anyone know where I can find a 3D model of Ray 01? I've been able to make a lot of stuff with the BrawlBox Ray Mk III model, but I can't find any Ray 01 models.
Thanks Dude (I saw the suggestions on the Reddit page and they made total sense)! And I do agree that the idea of the Robo Pedia is pretty nice.

Above strategy would be a smart idea. Best to see how the Robo or Part operates 1st.

Also, I've been cross-referencing an FAQ for the translations for the entire time (looked for similarities between the description/placement of a part and the name of the part). I WISH I understood Japanese (especially Katakana as that seems to be the main alphabet used).

I do remember seeing that document before however. I did a Google translate on it one time, but I forgot what it (poorly) translated to. I'll check that once I get home and give you my interpretation of it.

Edit: And regarding the whole model thing, try this site. It gives the tools needed to rip models (supposedly) as I don't think there are any BR models on the internet (except for maybe on a Japanese site). http://www.vg-resource.com/thread-21121.html

Edit #2: Dunno if this counts, but someone did a texture/model mod that replaces Samus with Ray 01. It might not be 100% accurate (as the creator mentioned that he made some adjustments), but here you go! :) http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/Bra...Credit=&Info=&AudioSource=&MainType=Character

Last edited:
Top Bottom