• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Con Announced!

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Everyone here is crying about PM, while I'm just sitting here living in California... I will make an effort to attend.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
The PM community is real, and I'm sick and tired of hearing all the people in this thread ****ting on us just because we're not official. That's a stupid reason to justify telling us we don't matter and that we're not allowed to be worried about our community's future at this rate. This shouldn't be about some silly semantic arguments trying to say "oh a mod isn't a game" like that means anything at all. It should be about the players and the community, dammit.

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
The PM community is real, and I'm sick and tired of hearing all the people in this thread ****ting on us just because we're not official. That's a stupid reason to justify telling us we don't matter and that we're not allowed to be worried about our community's future at this rate. This shouldn't be about some silly semantic arguments trying to say "oh a mod isn't a game" like that means anything at all. It should be about the players and the community, dammit.
that's agreeable, and the Melee community has proven that with its support and passion...the problem however is that everytime PM gets pushed away from a major event, most will over-react or some will be happy...or at least that's what it looks like from my perspective.

But lets be honest, PM will always be a great game, competively and casually, and has evolved into its own game, but it's still a mod. That's a fact, and we can't deny that.

it does suck that it won't be in this event and i agree, but it's understandable as well!

Cody645

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cody645
3DS FC
5429-7944-5036
Oh look, another convention I'd want to go to but I live like a thousand kilometers away from. ****. Getting salty.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Lack of PM instantly killed all hype for me. I actually could have (and probably would have) attended this, too.
I feel like this is an event that I can't bring myself to support, and I'm glad some people feel the same way.

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
I feel like people are forgetting that those behind this are going to try and advertise this as a convention, not exclusively a tournament. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of publicity for this geared towards not only competitive Smashers, but also fans of Smash Bros. in general, who aren't necessarily competitive players. So if you're going, make a good impression to those whose going for fun! Don't want to scare away those filthy casuals.

Regarding PM, while it's still sad to not see much of it at big events like these, I feel like that's not a justifiable reason to hate the entire con and staff and not go out and support them. Again, it's a convention -- for Smashers! Not for Melee players, or Smash 4 players, or PM players, or competitive players in general! It's understandable that a large portion of the community may be absent, but I feel as if we gotta embrace the fact that PM may not be appearing at event like these for a long time now. But only time will tell! Stay strong PM!

I unfortunately won't be able to attend, being in California and all. But I will definitely catch the streams, and hopefully catch the panel streams if they are streamed live! I'm definitely looking forward to the panels the most. It'd be cool to see top level players, commentators, community leaders, etc. on a stage answering questions and giving tips and stuff. I hope there would be autograph booths/tables too, like how other cons would do it. So long as it doesn't conflict with the tournament, obviously.

And if there's going to be live music, we better see DJ Cutman play his breaks remix of Melee music. Or GaMetal shred out some epic Smash metal covers.

There's my two cents. May not be going, but I welcome this con with a very open heart! I hope it runs fantastically!

M@v

Subarashii!
I'm skeptical if an idea like this could work, but this will be a great test. I want to go, and in order for it to bring in enough revenue, this needs to be advertised hard to casuals too. There's nothing wrong with that; in fact that's a great thing to get new faces!

Last edited:

No_Skillz

Smash Apprentice
How is this all going to be streamed on vgbootcamp? Smash 4 is going to have little to no airtime now. ffs

foshio

Smash Journeyman
Let's imagine the situation where Nintendo didn't want Melee at events because it took away from its new game. Tournament organizers started not allowing melee at their events.
People are saying that project m fans are overreacting. But if you look at this scenario it is exactly the same and people would be freaking out.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
That's great(PM excluded apart) to hear, you people in America are lucky, can't wait for melee and smash 4 also the super hype metaknight dittos in brawl though

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806

Me when I noticed it's US only ;_;

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Everyone's hyped about this Smash Con event while I'm more hyped about the fight between Manny Pacquiau and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
Its a VG Boot Camp event they already said they were stopping their association with PM stop acting surprised every time it happens.

TreK

Is "that guy"
#OneUnitAmirite ?

To everyone who tells the PM community to stop shouting :
-there have been at four 100+ man PM events these past two weeks iirc (McSmashter 4, Shots Fired, Polybash, can't remember the 4th) so we're not just sitting on our asses waiting for good things to happen
-remember what happened last time we shouted ? Smash became E-Sports.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
guys smash 3ds and wii u are the same thing, people who plays 3ds might be able to bring their 3ds and use it as a controller if they want to

DraconisMarch

Smash Apprentice
Regarding PM, while it's still sad to not see much of it at big events like these, I feel like that's not a justifiable reason to hate the entire con and staff and not go out and support them. Again, it's a convention -- for Smashers! Not for Melee players, or Smash 4 players, or PM players, or competitive players in general! It's understandable that a large portion of the community may be absent,
If it's a "convention -- for Smashers!", then why exclude a "large portion of the community"? You're contradicting yourself. Either a) it is indeed a convention for Smashers and ALL Smash games are included, or b) deem a part of the Smash community as not Smashers and exclude it.

but I feel as if we gotta embrace the fact that PM may not be appearing at event like these for a long time now. But only time will tell! Stay strong PM!
What? Willfully accept the shunning of a very dedicated part of the Smash community? Preaching that kind of mentality shows that you aren't part of the PM community nor do you possess any kind of empathy for them. PM should not just have to "embrace" being shut out. No one should. Change doesn't happen if you just bend over and take whatever you're dealt, no matter how much you don't like it. Sorry.

Last edited:

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
I really dont understand why certain PM people is so angry at VGBC and others. Most of these Streamers people are trying to move forward for Smash as a series. As great as PM is, it is a mod. Does that mean you guys dont matter? No of course not. It has nothing to do with that. Nintendo isnt backing the mod because it isnt official those are the stipulations. Should other Smash titles fall because of PM? Thats just selfish man. What we all should be doing is approaching Nintendo about this; maybe get PM to be an official mod or something.

Thats something we can do as a community. Honestly though Im damn tired of hearing PM people stating they wont support this or any event due to the lack of PM, then whining no one is #oneunit. Thats stupid cus
A) Ghandi + I
B) you have to look at the large picture
Getting angry at major leaders in the community like VGBC isnt helping your cause. Trying to spite Smash Con doesnt make anyone sympathetic to your woes. Stop acting like brats; I dont even play P:M and I would be more than happy to do whatever I can to assist you all in terms of pushing for some negotiation with Nintendo regarding P:M. However, you whining is counter-productive to your own cause. Im not talking about the entire P:M community, Im talking about the ones who are whining and more than likely than not have done nothing to aid their cause. Its okay to be emotional, but at this point its just dumb.

Bring up action to change Nintendo's view on P:M, Im sure many people in the community would get behind that. But dont act all surprised that by Nintendo and heads of the community going the route they are. it all makes perfect sense. suxs and I hope we as a community can change it but it all makes sense and it has nothing to do with being a sellout. VGBC has done more for the community and you than many of you have done by far. Living off Smash isnt something ridiculously easy, its rough but plenty of people have dedicated their lives to this so you guys can view it. Now there's a chance to ally with Nintendo and potentially build a system where Smashers could be acknowledge for there skills on a global mainstream scale, pursue their passion as a legitimate occupation, and spread smash across the globe. What do you think theyre gonna do? Don't forget just as Nintendo can elevate us they can potentially ban us. We have to work with them first, thats just how it goes.

As I said, make a petition to send to Nintendo and get the ball rolling. its alot better then you guys leveling up your keyboard warrior game.

EDIT: @ DraconisMarch DraconisMarch Are you not aware that most P:M players come from some other Smash title? If you take those people into consideration, then no they arent excluding a large portion of the community. You're acting that the majority of P:M players play P:M exclusively, which ( sorry to burst your bubble) simply isnt true.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So damn surprised this ws never, ever done up before. We had all kinds of cons popping up, so having none for Smash baffled me for a long time.

Even if I still live in Finland, who knows if one day I'll travel up to US to join in.

(P:M not there is not that huge of a bummer as it's still not an official product of Smash Bros-series in general despite me being a big fan of it)

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Should other Smash titles fall because of PM? Thats just selfish man.
Where the hell are you getting that from? Why would including PM at SmashCon suddenly destroy the other games? I have no idea what you're talking about.

l_wan

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1650-3162-8641
THIS IS ON MY BDAY WEEKEND. PLEASE GOD LET ME GO.

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
out of curiousity, are there any numbers on how many people downloaded PM.
http://projectmgame.com/en/download
about 370 000 for the last version which was released in november
about 1 000 000 for the previous version which was released 1 year earlier
keep in mind those numbers count people who've downloaded the game several times though, which is pretty common (although I've only doawnloaded each version once myelf because I know how to make backups lmao).
I really dont understand why certain PM people is so angry at VGBC and others.
PM players are angry at VGBC in particular because he used the PM scene to kickstart his streaming career. Check out this video for more detail. In it, Gimr specifically promises that in exchange for allowing him to quit his day job with our sub money, he'd create a lot of content for Melee, Smash 4, and PM. There's a sense of betrayal in his decision not to support PM anymore, in that sense.
PM players definitely don't hold a grudge at new streamers who decide they'll only stream Melee/Smash Wii U in general. There's no reason to, as you've said.

Oh and yes there is indeed a petition if you want to help =D

In any case, my sub money goes to Smashboards instead. I think of it as some kind of boycotting. I was going to spend that money on someone who supports PM, VGBC decided they didn't want it, but I'm going to spend it anyway.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
A convention dedicated to Smash Bros.? Complete with tournaments for all 4 installments? This sounds like this will be even larger than Apex or EVO.

And P:M not being included is kind of a bummer. Even though it's a mod, it's the most successful mod for Smash that exists. At least other groups are holding tournaments for it as we speak since VGBC dropped support for it. I'm sure someone will hold a side tournament somewhere during the convention.

All in all, this is some awesome news!

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman
Wow, the Smash community at this point is a bunch of sell outs. Once Nintendo gets in contact with us we sell our bodies out and continue their ******** practices (Brawl).

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Not gonna, lie pretty hyped! Also,I don't care that it has no pm, #datruthbetold

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
Is it sponsored by Nintendo or something? How come there is no PM? I can understand if it was some sort of official deal, where Nintendo were in charge and paying for ****. Even though I don't agree with their hostility towards fanmade mods, I understand the situation. But, is this the case? Is this not just for the Smash fans? The community?
I hate to play the whole victim thing, but, it really feels like the larger majority of the Smash community is slowly trying to push the PM fans away.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Awesome kinda lost for words, this year is getting expensive lol Apex Evo maybe CEO and now "Smash Con"

V01D_92

Smash Rookie
NNID
Greklin
3DS FC
2750-1286-9757
it feels like im not allowed to experience smash community ever... every time something like this pops up, im not able to attend, like, ever...

Railz

Yoshi Master
So no PM aye? Guarantee that people will be there to turn the brawl setups into a better game

Top Bottom