• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event Super Smash Con 2019 Discussion Thread

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
VoiD :ultjoker:1-2 BlazingPasta :ultpeach:

He has to face Nietono in Losers to make Top 64 Losers Side. Truly tragic for both of them.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Seems another big upset went under the radar. Raffi-X :ultrob: 2-0'd Dabuz :ultolimar: earlier offstream.

Impax

Smash Apprentice
According to the bracket adastran beat both istudying and raito in losers...

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Toast :ultyounglink: 2-0s Seth :ultyoshi:, eliminating him at 97th place.

Also, really hoping to see some more :ulthero: action from Salem, he seemed to get the most mileage from Zapple, which is understandable.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Both Raito and now Nietono have suffered since EVO. Nietono :ultwario: just lost to VoiD :ultjoker: in losers 1-2 for 65th. Raito placed the exact same last SSC...

But Japan did score an upset with kept :ultvillager: 2-0 Wishes :ultpokemontrainerf:.

...and M2K :ultbowser:2-0 Suarez :ultyoshi: to outplace his seed once again.

Secret :ultpokemontrainerf: also apparently 2-0'd Mr.R :ultchrom: to knock him out at 97th, the worst he's ever placed in his career.

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
A few more upsets:

Toast :ultyounglink: 2-0s 8BitMan:ultrob:, eliminating him at 65th place, and earning a Toast a spot in the Top 64 on Loser's Side.
SaltOne :ultcloud::ultroy: 2-1s WaDi :ultrob:, earning SaltOne a post in Top 64 on the Winner's Side.
Fatality :ultfalcon: 2-0s Puppeh :ultpokemontrainer:, earning Fatality a spot in Top 64 on the Winner's Side.

LingLing :ultpeach:2-1s MVD :ultsnake:, earning LingLing a spot in Top 64 on the Winner's Side.

Squerk :ultyoshi: 2-1s Laid :ultlucina::ultpacman: and 2-0s Ryuga :ulthero:, earning him a spot in Top 64 on the Loser's Side, and eliminating Laid and Ryuga at 97th and 65th place respectively.

After doing so poorly at EVO, I'm glad to see that Fatality is performing much better overall.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Super Smash Con 2019 Top 65

Pool P501

Winner's
Gen:ultpalutena: vs Marss:ultzss:
Dark Wizzy:ultmario: vs kept:ultvillager:
Nairo:ultpalutena::ultzss: vs Fatality:ultfalcon:
NickC:ultfalcon: vs BlazingPasta:ultpeach:
Sinji:ultpacman: vs Light:ultfox:
Elegant:ultluigi: vs Shuton:ultolimar:
yeti:ultmegaman: vs Tweek:ultpokemontrainerf:
Maister:ultgnw: vs Leffen:ultpokemontrainerf:

Loser's
Ned:ultpokemontrainerf: vs MAX:ultmario::ultpikachu:
Wishes:ultpokemontrainerf: vs Wrath:ultjoker::ultsonic:
Puppeh:ultpokemontrainer: vs Pugwest:ultlucina:
VoiD:ultjoker: vs Toast:ultyounglink:
Ven:ultzelda: vs Jw:ultgreninja:
Pelca:ultsnake: vs Zinoto:ultpeach:
Larry Lurr:ultwolf: vs Plup:ultridley:
Salem:ulthero::ultsnake: vs MegaFox:ultfox:

Pool Q501

Winner's
MkLeo:ultjoker: vs Myran:ultolimar:
LingLing:ultpeach: vs SaltOne:ultcloud::ultroy:
Zackray:ultwolf: vs MuteAce:ultpeach:
Lui$:ultfox: vs Mew2King:ultbowser:
Mr E:ultlucina: vs Raffi-X:ultrob:
Lemmon:ultjoker: vs ESAM:ultpikachu:
BestNess:ultness: vs PkChris:ultness:
ScAtt:ultmegaman::ultsnake: vs Samsora:ultpeach:

Loser's
Squerk:ultyoshi: vs Etsuji:ultlucina:
WaDi:ultrob: vs Donquavious:ultgreninja:
ANTi:ultmario: vs Adastran:ultwiifittrainer:
Barking_Frog:ultinkling: vs Aikota:ultzelda:
Dabuz:ultolimar: vs Riddles:ultrichter::ultken:
Pandarian:ultpokemontrainer: vs MVD:ultsnake:
Sonido:ultsonic: vs Jayy:ultbayonetta:
Javi:ultlucina: vs Suarez:ultyoshi:

Riddles:ultrichter: notably took a game off of MkLeo:ultjoker:, but he was interestingly using :ultken: to do it. Definitely a player to look out for.

The only :ulthero: player that made it top 65 is Salem through the loser's bracket, and even then it is still kind of ambiguous if he is going to stick with him throughout the tournament.

Also, so many :ultpokemontrainerf: players here in this event.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master

He already confirmed that this secret secondary of his is a sword character and not Hero.
For who it is specifically, I have no idea.

Impax

Smash Apprentice
Plups a Ridley main? Always thought he was a megaman

Edit: I pray Leos secondary is shulk. Would be neat to see the character live up to the hype

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Plup used :ultridley: in pools and against Fatality :ultfalcon:.

I think Barking_Frog is an :ultinkling: main, and Toast is a :ultyounglink: main.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Plups a Ridley main? Always thought he was a megaman

Edit: I pray Leos secondary is shulk. Would be neat to see the character live up to the hype
He said on Twitter that for Smash Con he would be using Ridley for Ultimate (probably because of the 4.0 buffs and because he likes Ridley) and Samus for Melee as a cute Metroid theme, so that's why he's been using solo :ultridley: for this tournament.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Top 64 predictions:

Winners:
Marss :ultzss: 3-0 Gen :ultpalutena: - Marss is probably the least likely player in the world to get upset early.

Kept :ultvillager: :ultisabelle: 3-2 Dark Wizzy :ultmario: - The world isn't ready for a good Villager, and Dark Wizzy had some fairly close games with Fastcree. I think it'll be close, but I have a feeling this is upset territory since Dark Wizzy seems to have dropped a decent amount of games so far.

Nairo :ultpalutena: :ultzss: 3-1 Fatality :ultfalcon: - Palu probably dumpsters Falcon but Fatality probably gets one. I could fairly easily see this being a 3-0, though.

BlazingPasta :ultpeach: 3-2 NickC :ultfalcon: - see above, but swap Palu for Peach and make the skill gap between the players way smaller. I could see this one go either way.

Light :ultfox: 3-1 Sinji :ultpacman: - Light's up at least 2-0 on Sinji, and while that was in January, I'd still hedge my bets on it. Light looked way better at EVO than he has recently, too.

Elegant :ultluigi: 3-1 Shuton :ultolimar: - What are the chances Shuton's fought a Luigi even close to Elegant's level?

Tweek :ultpokemontrainerf: 3-1 Yeti :ultmegaman: :ultsnake: - Yeti's very good but I don't think he'll take out Tweek. Maybe I'm wrong?

Maister :ultgnw: 3-1 Leffen :ultpokemontrainerf: - Matchup inexperience probably kills Leffen here. But he's actually looked pretty solid, so what do I know?

MKLeo :ultjoker: 3-0 Myran :ultolimar: - Leo's almost unstoppable in this game and I have little faith in Myran changing that.

Salt One :ultroy: 3-2 Ling Ling :ultpeach: - I definitely think this is Peach's best swordie matchup, but it'll still be an uphill one.

MuteAce :ultpeach: 3-2 Zackray :ultwolf: - Mute's beaten Zackray before, and even post nerf I could see lightning strike twice. I doubt we'll get another 3-0 in Mute's favour, though.

Lui$ :ultfox: :substitute: 3-1 Mew2King :ultbowser: - Fox vs Bowser seems horrific and M2K's nowhere near LeoN's level. But M2K's been looking very solid this tournament, so I think he could flip this result around.

Raffi-X :ultrob: 3-2 Mr. E :ultlucina: - have these two played before? I'm basing this mostly on how much of a wash WaDi vs Mr. E at CEO was but I wouldn't expect it to be that not-close here. I don't see Mr. E winning this, though.

ESAM :ultpikachu: 3-1 Lemmon :ultjoker: :ultpeach: - I want to believe in Lemmon, and given that he's from the same region as (and is presumably rooming with) Captain L here I think this is possible for an upset, but logic says ESAM takes it. Please please please let me be wrong?

BestNess :ultness: 3-0 PKChris :ultness: - BestNess is the better Ness based on results, I think? This'll be a weird one to judge.

ScAtt :ultmegaman: :ultsnake: 3-1 Samsora :ultpeach: - This matchup looks like hell for Peach. Would not be surprised if Samsora got upset here.

Losers:

Etsuji :ultlucina: 3-1 Squerk :ultyoshi: - this matchup looks incredibly rough for Yoshi and Etsuji's probably the better player.

WaDi :ultrob: 3-1 Donquavious :ultgreninja: - I'm honestly not sure how this one will play out. I don't think Wadi's fought a good greninja yet? I might be wrong on that.

ANTi :ultmario: :ultlucario: 3-1 Adastran :ultwiifittrainer: - praying I'm wrong but logic's telling me this is it.

Barking_Frog :ultinkling: 3-2 Aikota :ultness: :ultgunner: - I know nothing about either of these players so don't put any stock into this.

Riddles :ultrichter: :ultken: 3-2 Dabuz :ultolimar: :ultrosalina: - calling this, I know it's crazy. I think the odds of Riddles winning shoot way up if Dabuz goes Rosa.

MVD :ultsnake: 3-1 Pandarian :ultpokemontrainer: - I could see Pandarian flipping this around but I'd still hedge my bets on MVD here.

Sonido :ultsonic: 3-1 Jayy :ultmetaknight: :ultpokemontrainerf: :ultbayonetta: :ultinkling: - I think Jayy just gets matchup inexperienced here.

Suarez :ultyoshi: 3-2 Javi :ultwolf: :ultlucina: - this could easily go the other way, but I think if Javi goes anyone but Lucina Suarez probably gets a win.

Ned :ultpokemontrainerf: 3-0 Chillychilli/MAX :ultmario: :ultpikachu: - not sure on this one, I'm probably wrong on the scoring here.

Wrath :ultjoker: 3-1 Wishes :ultpokemontrainerf: - Wishes honestly hasn't been doing as well as he used to, and Wrath's still pretty unproven. I wouldn't be surprised if this happened at all.

Puppeh :ultpokemontrainerf: 3-1 Pugwest :ultmarth: - spacing against Squirtle seems very difficult, and Ivysaur and Charizard probably both do well for other reasons.

VoiD :ultjoker: 3-1 Toast :ultyounglink: - another one I could see getting flipped.

Ven :ultzelda: 3-2 Jw :ultgreninja: - I have no idea how much Zelda experience Jw has, but I'd expect it to not be much.

Pelca :ultsnake: 3-1 Zinoto :ultpeach: - This seems like another really rough matchup in this game, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pelca just was the better player right now.

Larry Lurr :ultwolf: :ultfalco: 3-0 Plup :ultridley: - I have zero faith in Ridley as a character, buffs or not. Plup might get one, though.

Salem :ultsnake: :ulthero: 3-1 Megafox :ultfox: - Salem getting upset would be hilarious but I'm not sure it'll happen here.

Last edited:

Impax

Smash Apprentice
Top 64 predictions:

Winners:
Marss :ultzss: 3-0 Gen :ultpalutena: - Marss is probably the least likely player in the world to get upset early.

Kept :ultvillager: :ultisabelle: 3-2 Dark Wizzy :ultmario: - The world isn't ready for a good Villager, and Dark Wizzy had some fairly close games with Fastcree. I think it'll be close, but I have a feeling this is upset territory since Dark Wizzy seems to have dropped a decent amount of games so far.

Nairo :ultpalutena: :ultzss: 3-1 Fatality :ultfalcon: - Palu probably dumpsters Falcon but Fatality probably gets one. I could fairly easily see this being a 3-0, though.

BlazingPasta :ultpeach: 3-2 NickC :ultfalcon: - see above, but swap Palu for Peach and make the skill gap between the players way smaller. I could see this one go either way.

Light :ultfox: 3-1 Sinji :ultpacman: - Light's up at least 2-0 on Sinji, and while that was in January, I'd still hedge my bets on it. Light looked way better at EVO than he has recently, too.

Elegant :ultluigi: 3-1 Shuton :ultolimar: - What are the chances Shuton's fought a Luigi even close to Elegant's level?

Tweek :ultpokemontrainerf: 3-1 Yeti :ultmegaman: :ultsnake: - Yeti's very good but I don't think he'll take out Tweek. Maybe I'm wrong?

Maister :ultgnw: 3-1 Leffen :ultpokemontrainerf: - Matchup inexperience probably kills Leffen here. But he's actually looked pretty solid, so what do I know?

MKLeo :ultjoker: 3-0 Myran :ultolimar: - Leo's almost unstoppable in this game and I have little faith in Myran changing that.

Salt One :ultroy: 3-2 Ling Ling :ultpeach: - I definitely think this is Peach's best swordie matchup, but it'll still be an uphill one.

MuteAce :ultpeach: 3-2 Zackray :ultwolf: - Mute's beaten Zackray before, and even post nerf I could see lightning strike twice. I doubt we'll get another 3-0 in Mute's favour, though.

Lui$ :ultfox: :substitute: 3-1 Mew2King :ultbowser: - Fox vs Bowser seems horrific and M2K's nowhere near LeoN's level. But M2K's been looking very solid this tournament, so I think he could flip this result around.

Raffi-X :ultrob: 3-2 Mr. E :ultlucina: - have these two played before? I'm basing this mostly on how much of a wash WaDi vs Mr. E at CEO was but I wouldn't expect it to be that not-close here. I don't see Mr. E winning this, though.

ESAM :ultpikachu: 3-1 Lemmon :ultjoker: :ultpeach: - I want to believe in Lemmon, and given that he's from the same region as (and is presumably rooming with) Captain L here I think this is possible for an upset, but logic says ESAM takes it. Please please please let me be wrong?

BestNess :ultness: 3-0 PKChris :ultness: - BestNess is the better Ness based on results, I think? This'll be a weird one to judge.

ScAtt :ultmegaman: :ultsnake: 3-1 Samsora :ultpeach: - This matchup looks like hell for Peach. Would not be surprised if Samsora got upset here.

Losers:

Etsuji :ultlucina: 3-1 Squerk :ultyoshi: - this matchup looks incredibly rough for Yoshi and Etsuji's probably the better player.

WaDi :ultrob: 3-1 Donquavious :ultgreninja: - I'm honestly not sure how this one will play out. I don't think Wadi's fought a good greninja yet? I might be wrong on that.

ANTi :ultmario: :ultlucario: 3-1 Adastran :ultwiifittrainer: - praying I'm wrong but logic's telling me this is it.

Barking_Frog :ultinkling: 3-2 Aikota :ultness: :ultgunner: - I know nothing about either of these players so don't put any stock into this.

Riddles :ultrichter: :ultken: 3-2 Dabuz :ultolimar: :ultrosalina: - calling this, I know it's crazy. I think the odds of Riddles winning shoot way up if Dabuz goes Rosa.

MVD :ultsnake: 3-1 Pandarian :ultpokemontrainer: - I could see Pandarian flipping this around but I'd still hedge my bets on MVD here.

Sonido :ultsonic: 3-1 Jayy :ultmetaknight: :ultpokemontrainerf: :ultbayonetta: :ultinkling: - I think Jayy just gets matchup inexperienced here.

Suarez :ultyoshi: 3-2 Javi :ultwolf: :ultlucina: - this could easily go the other way, but I think if Javi goes anyone but Lucina Suarez probably gets a win.

Ned :ultpokemontrainerf: 3-0 Chillychilli/MAX :ultmario: :ultpikachu: - not sure on this one, I'm probably wrong on the scoring here.

Wrath :ultjoker: 3-1 Wishes :ultpokemontrainerf: - Wishes honestly hasn't been doing as well as he used to, and Wrath's still pretty unproven. I wouldn't be surprised if this happened at all.

Puppeh :ultpokemontrainerf: 3-1 Pugwest :ultmarth: - spacing against Squirtle seems very difficult, and Ivysaur and Charizard probably both do well for other reasons.

VoiD :ultjoker: 3-1 Toast :ultyounglink: - another one I could see getting flipped.

Ven :ultzelda: 3-2 Jw :ultgreninja: - I have no idea how much Zelda experience Jw has, but I'd expect it to not be much.

Pelca :ultsnake: 3-1 Zinoto :ultpeach: - This seems like another really rough matchup in this game, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pelca just was the better player right now.

Larry Lurr :ultwolf: :ultfalco: 3-0 Plup :ultridley: - I have zero faith in Ridley as a character, buffs or not. Plup might get one, though.

Salem :ultsnake: :ulthero: 3-1 Megafox :ultfox: - Salem getting upset would be hilarious but I'm not sure it'll happen here.
I think plup beats Larry lurr.
Adastran beat istudying and raito. So beating anti wouldnt be a shock. Though anti should definitely be favored. I also expect dabuz to win. Other than that I mostly agree.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Megafox :ultfox: 2-0 Salem :ulthero: :ultsnake:
And that is the end of Heroes in Smash Con, with Salem not even going solo Hero.

This is definitely not the impact (or rather, lack thereof) most players expected Hero to make in Smash Con. Some players expected multiple Hero players to make it farther in bracket, and potentially make an upset against someone with BS RNG. That ended up not happening at all. lol

Unless someone is brave enough to randomly bring him out in bracket (MkLeo already confirmed that his secret secondary is not Hero), players will have to wait another large event if they are going to prove Hero's worth competitively.

Hero is still going to be a menace online regardless. XD

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Yay, Ven :ultzelda: 2-0 Jw :ultgreninja:
Now against BlazingPasta

Big upset:
Wrath :ultsonic: 2-1 Wishes :ultpokemontrainerf::ultjoker:(?)

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
And that is the end of Heroes in Smash Con, with Salem not even going solo Hero.

This is definitely not the impact (or rather, lack thereof) most players expected Hero to make in Smash Con. Some players expected multiple Hero players to make it farther in bracket, and potentially make an upset against someone with BS RNG. That ended up not happening at all. lol

Unless someone is brave enough to randomly bring him out in bracket (MkLeo already confirmed that his secret secondary is not Hero), players will have to wait another large event if they are going to prove Hero's worth competitively.

Hero is still going to be a menace online regardless. XD

To be perfectly fair to Salem. He went mostly Solo Hero for 90% of the bracket.
And to be fair to Hero. It's the first major that the Character appeared, and first major played on 4.0.0 after barely two weeks being out.

DLC Characters are a gamble and in a meta of 9 months, peoples would rather focus on Characters they know and labbed all this time than directly switching up.

I believe Hero will slowly rise as time pass and people make the switch/ have time to Train him in friendlies or Locals.

Nonetheless, Ryuga and Salem did show the strength and weaknesses of this Character in their showing on stream. And a Hero making top 64 in its first major is already respectable.

D

Deleted member

NickC :ultfalcon: beats BlazingPasta:ultpeach: 2-0. Damn both players really took blood off each other both games.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Puppeh:ultpokemontrainerf: 3-1 VoiD:ultjoker: and BlazingPasta:ultpeach: 3-0 Fatality:ultfalcon:, to eliminate them both at 25th place.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Nario used full ZSS vs NickC and managed to beat him 3-1. It looks like he is really putting effort into trying to learn Ultimate ZSS for a possible co-main maybe

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Kept:ultvillager: 3-2 Puppeh:ultpokemontrainerf: to eliminate him at 17th place.

The set was initially close, but Kept downloaded him hard, even 3-stocking him at game 5.

Kept is giving :ultvillager: a very good name lately.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Riddles:ultrichter: 2-1 Dabuz :ultolimar:

Dabuz out at 49th. Is this his weakest placing at a major yet?

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
We got some upsets here:

Riddles:ultrichter: 2-1 Dabuz:ultrosalina: (eliminated at 33rd place)
Pandarian:ultpokemontrainer: 2-1 MVD:ultsnake: (eliminated at 33rd place)
Jayy:ultpokemontrainer: 2-1 Sonido:ultsonic: (eliminated at 33rd place)

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Light :ultfox: 3-1s DW :ultmario:, eliminating him at 17th place; nice to see Light finally got his revenge after what happened at Prime Saga XD

Maister :ultgnw: 3-0s NickC :ultfalcon:, eliminating him at 17th place. I'm happy for Maister, but he was brutal against NickC, yeesh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom