• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers Melee NOT Confirmed for EVO 2014

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Tonight on iPlayWInner, Joey "Mr. Wizard" Cuellar stated that there is currently a "spot" for Super Smash Brothers Melee at EVO 2014 - if they can get the go-ahead from Nintendo. Mr. Wizard stated that EVO has been in ongoing discussions with Nintendo about adding the game to the summer line up. In 2013, Super Smash Brothers Melee was almost canceled due to Nintendo sending a cease and desist. After a reversal, Smash Melee went on to bring in 696 players and reached over 130,000 concurrent stream viewers - second all time for any fighting game. Mr. Wizard was very hesitant to confirm the game and stated that "We don't want to say anything further because we don't want to jeopardize the event".

Details regarding qualifiers will be similar to an 'NCAA' style system. Instead of official qualifiers, there will be more focus on results from many tournaments and there may be a weight for higher attendance events like CEO 2014. Full details and how "the math will work" remain to be seen. Mr. Wizard also confirmed that EVO 2014 will be the first location for 'X Mania' - a national tournament that is typically held in Japan for Super Turbo.

Confirmed EVO 2014 Line Up
  • Ultra Street Fighter 4
  • Ultimate Marvel v. Capcom 3
  • King of Fighters 13
  • Killer Instinct
  • BlazBlue
  • Injustice
  • Spot being held for SSBM

Last edited by a moderator:

MLGF

Smash Lord
People are really angry at Mr. Wizard on the chat. Just do what we did last year and go to Ninty's facebook and such. The way people are responding ATM is making us look so bad.

D

Deleted member

Keep it civil, people.

We wouldn't want Nintendo thinking that we're a very aggressive and angry community.

Last edited by a moderator:

Djent

Smash Champion
Bummed, but I understand. Wizard can't jeopardize legal action that could compromise the entire event. I really hope Nintendo doesn't cockblock us again.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
Take to the tweets, chant like an Armada, and doctor mario up this disease. @NintendoAmerica

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
"So again, there may be a spot for Melee at EVO2014, but it's on Nintendo. I've seen a few inflammatory tweets, so please don't take that route. Discussion is already in progress between Nintendo and EVO/MLG, etc. so its out of our hands. Be patient and wait." - Prog

D. Disciple

Smash Master
No one spam them with tweets, emails or phone calls. They are playing this safe, and are just waiting for confirmation. This out of our hands, leave it to the EVO Staff

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I have no idea why Injustice got in at all... The game is as anti hype as you can get as far as 2D fighters are concerned. That spot should have gone to Skullgirls.

ENCOREY

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry but BlazBlue and KoF do not have a bigger nor a more worthy community than Melee.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
I have no idea why people are so angry at these guys, they aren't at fault for this. Please, be pleasant.

ENCOREY

Smash Cadet
I have no idea why people are so angry at these guys, they aren't at fault for this. Please, be pleasant.
Because Melee was HUGE at Evo last year. You would think it earned a spot...

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Keep your heads in check, lads and lassies. Don't do anything unreasonable.

That said, Nintendo's attitude is so strange considering their current hardware struggles. Why aggravate the home console market? You want to nurture the customer, not scorn them.

lolmark

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry but BlazBlue and KoF do not have a bigger nor a more worthy community than Melee.
Calm down. Blazblue and KOF weren't selected over Melee. EVO is just trying to get it cleared with Nintendo now, unlike last year when it was Nintendo nearly flipped the off switch days before the tournament.

Tw1nx

Smash Rookie
Good feeling about this, but I won't get my hopes too far up. They responded to backlash last year, now let's see how they respond to MLG and another EVO approach. Melee has received a ton of recognition in the past year, and its all thanks to the community to help build it back up. Nintendo just needs to take this into account, the recognition for the 13 year old game, the 15 year old franchise, and the players, old and new, dedicated to keeping it going. Fingers crossed guys. Be patient. Don't do anything foolish.

ENCOREY

Smash Cadet
Calm down. Blazblue and KOF weren't selected over Melee. EVO is just trying to get it cleared with Nintendo now, unlike last year when it was Nintendo nearly flipped the off switch days before the tournament.
Whoops didn't read the whole thing. That's slightly better.

World

Smash Cadet
They have a spot for it. Mr. Wizard is just trying to get Nintendo's approval.
So Nintendo isn't blocking the event, they're just getting the approval now to deter any future problems that may come up?

Doesn't sound like something to get the community riled up over then.

RocketSmash

Smash Rookie
Guys guys, now hear me out now. But what if Smash 4 is currently planned to come out before EVO and Nintendo just didn't want them to blow the release date! Eh, eh?

SRKJD

Smash Rookie
so that tweet from Prog worries me. It says that if evo doesnt happen they can still go back to the beginning.
I'm really glad you guys have an option, but I would really miss the smash crowd at EVO.
Im guessing that MLG wants exclusive rights for Smash. Either that or the Nintendo world championship series they were asking about last year might be happening

Nintendo 64

Smash Rookie
Maybe is time to put Brawl in EVO, I bet everyone will love watching all mental aspects of this game.

noft

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
1345-3004-6632
idk i remember a bunch of donations/charities for things, IDK how this thing works, but here is a charity if you do decide to start a fund raiser, look into it, http://miraclemc.com/ It was recently accepted as a nonprofit organization by the us government to help the children in the hospitals have a better life. here is the line on the front of the page. 501(C)(3) DONATIONS ARE DEDUCTIBLE TO THE FULL EXTENT ALLOWABLE UNDER IRS REGULATIONS. TAXID 46-4694956 message me either way letting me know if i am wrong for posting this or not please. I ****ing love the melee community so much omg, i want it to hit evo. It makes me so depressed hearing that there's a chance it wont. only reason i posted this was because i cared about two causes. and both seemed pretty valid

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I'm glad Killer Instinct got in.
While I don't like watching Injustice, I can see why it got in, it's just a shame Skullgirls or Tekken didn't get that spot.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Do we know they're not considering P:M, or checking for SSB4 (we know it's not coming out before, but we don't have confirmation yet)? It's probably just legal guffins but the spot being held open just means they're working stuff out, and there's plenty of other cool options.

D

Deleted member

Do we know they're not considering P:M, or checking for SSB4 (we know it's not coming out before, but we don't have confirmation yet)? It's probably just legal guffins but the spot being held open just means they're working stuff out, and there's plenty of other cool options.
There's no way P:M would ever be in EVO. Nintendo wouldn't approve a modification of their game.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Good luck Mr.Wizard, we're kind of really counting on you here.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
Guys guys, now hear me out now. But what if Smash 4 is currently planned to come out before EVO and Nintendo just didn't want them to blow the release date! Eh, eh?
I could buy it. Late June/Early July release for SSB4 sounds reasonable.

Top Bottom