• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers Brawl's music: Quantity over Quality?

Blackadder

Smash Master
It’s been well documented and noticed that many Smashers are taking a great dislike to Brawl’s music so far, often sighting that the music is “rushed” or “A bad corruption of what it was in *Insert home game here* or anything negative about it. What's up with this?

Light History of the music in Brawl

Way back when we got when got our first peek at Brawl (The 2006 E3 tralier) SmashBoards must have exploded. I imagine that threads galore splurt out over “BRAWL IS IN A TRLIER NOWZ!” and the new characters, items, the moves, the mysterious “Final Smashes” (Then dubbed “Super Smash” moves by fans) and anything else exiting the short video offered the community to talk about.

One of these things was, of course, the music. I dug around to see if the first trailer did have any impact on the music lovers for Brawl, and sure enough, I found an abundance of threads, both closed and open.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=74649=Music

That is just one of the many music based threads that formed from the E3 video.
The response on that old thread, as well as many others, was almost always overwhelmingly positive, if at times a little to positive.

The orchestral music in the trailer was godly. No other Smash music so far has felt that epic, so I'm looking forward to it. And naturally they'll have a buncha ol' classic Nintendo tunes too (doesn't matter to me, really).
That quote there reflected the general thoughts of most Smashers, music lovers or otherwise. The tune was catchy, epic, and hinted early on that Brawl was going to be more dramatic and “zomg!” like. This quote here interests me:

I'd rather have it like Melee except remixed or somethin. Cuz that Brawl music was a lil too triumphant and Final fantasyish for amenu music
That’s a common thought now days, but he seemed to have been a bit suss of the music from day one!

With the reviews from the community being MAINLY positive, I imagine much of the thoughts by the professional people in the game industry was to, so Sakurai set out to make the games music typical of that “Main Theme” style;
Dramatic and powerful.

Now, with the creation of Brawl spreading out the gaming community, it brought with it a huge influx of new guys to the scene. I can tell you now, I was no different. I came into the scene sometime during the early days of the updates, I think. The updates of course met more music for us future Brawlers. But as the updates continued, and more of the music was shown, I noticed reaction to the new tunes began to decline. The “Menu 1” melody was wonderful, but I did hear of some people saying it was a little TOO dramatic. But at the time that seemed to be the minority view. Soon after we got the Yoshi music and the Ridley Battle Theme. The two songs, mainly the latter, hinted at characters, and once again caused interest and fire to the Smash lovers of SWF. The music buffs, however, where showing increased signs of worry over the tunes. The Ridley Theme, in particular, was once quoted to sound “Darn cheesy”. And once again, a little to epic, leading it onto an area of what some gamers dubbed “Try hard”.

These days a lot of the reaction to the music is very mixed. Songs such as K.K Rider just have to be enjoyed, while others like “Space Armada” sound like something ripped of from a now deaf John Williams. Another common complaint I hear today is that the music simply is the kind of tune you would battle to. I mean, can you really picture a speedy Luigi onto Fox fight with the new Poke’mon tune playing in the background? All this eventually lead many Smashers to think the music was for some reason being rushed and cheaply done.

Why is this?

Common quick theories

A lot of the SWF members have come up with theories as to why the quality of the music is often “Cheesy” or “Try hard dramatic” or “Rushed”.
An interesting one revolves around the use of all the musicians Sakurai has hired to do music for Brawl. When first unveiled this implied a great lot of tunes for us then and there. However, with some of the Smashers disliking the music, some people have actually assumed that they are getting say, Yusuke Takahama (Who does the music for the “Digital Pinball Series”) to do music for, say Metriod. If this is correct, as some have held it to be, then that could have a hand the music sometimes sounding unprofessional and clumsy. It’s done by someone who isn’t used to this style of work. I generally discard this theory, as these guys are professional, so it really shouldn’t affect the music that much. Another theory is that it just doesn’t have the same heart as the music would if it where orchestrated, sighting that all of this stuff would sound better if it was done in real as the “Main Theme” is alleged to have been done in. One of the theories I often embrace as a likely truth is that these are just samples. Maybe not even complete, or sometimes even just a melody the guys are toying around with a bit. It’s like watching a baby play with their food, we are just getting the test stuff.

Another theory is that the music haters are just whining over nothing, and the music is fine. XD

My Music

And this is where the title to the thread comes in. What if the reason the music sounds bad at times is simply because if this feature. While I myself am highly pleased with it as a real feature, many people have said this is the answer to the music things. The Brawl team is going for quantity over quality. If it’s a Nintendo song, listen to it, remix it to sound epic and star-wars-ey, and pop it in the feature. Repeat as much as you possibly can, aiming for at least 100 or so songs. If this is truth, then it would imply that the songs really are rushed, and Sakurai and his team are just trying to turn this feature into a gimmick for the game. This is supported by the showing that there will be several songs for each stage, hinting to some that the music is being rushed to an extent.
Myself, I admit I think the music is often hard to get in to, and almost has no heart being so fake, but I see my music as a way to improve the tunes. Even if they do produce songs like the Japanese do babies, surely some of the true classics will be worth a listen to? Even if they quickly storm up the old Mario Theme, we will all love it. Also, if we don’t like songs, we can just turn them off.

All in all, I think Melee’s music is so far superior. But remember, we may be only hearing test music, we haven’t heard all of it yet, and My Music allows one to turn off the bad stuff. I think all up, the music will be pretty good.

What do ya’ll think of all this?
Discuss.

Ps: Sorry for the stupidly long thread.

*Cough* A mod will be here to close this soon, I'm sure of it. :p

Sariku

Smash Master
I truthfuly don't worry too much about the Music. While yes, Music is always a great thing to listen too, when your really in the heart and core of Smash, you don't pay attention to it. Well I don't anyways.

I love the My Music idea, it lets you play some of your Fave Nintendo songs on a certain stage, and looks much easier than the L-R Thing in Melee.

I personally think Sakurai is doing great in the Music Department. While I hate songs like Pit's and Ridley Fight, alot of these songs are bringing me back to the core of Smash - Nintendo characters getting together having a Smashing Good Time.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
It's really just an opinionated thing. Some people love the epic feel of some of the music, while others think it sounds like trash.

I for one, think some of the songs are cheesy (at least at times), but did really good on others. It depends on the person really.

P.S. HOLY BALLS is that a long post.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
The Brawl music has been really good so far...

I don't see what kind of music you would want in its place...

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
um i really dont care when i play melee i usally just turn down the tv volume and turn up my own tunes epic for me playin on final destination with fox and sheik while listning to i hope you die(by the bloodhound gang) hahaha

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
...It wouldn't be Smash if ALL the music was FF epicness...

it would be Dissidia with Mario Characters...

Youkai Master

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't see what's with all the hate on the music. They are simple (and epically-sounding sometimes) remixes and arrangements because that's what they are striving for, they never intended to have any complex ocremixes, that's not how smash bros. music should be...

Also, don't go around saying that only the "music buffs" or the ones who "know what they're talking about" are the ones who can see how supposedly bad the brawl music is, that's just stupid.

Blackadder

Smash Master
I honestly don't see what's with all the hate on the music. They are simple (and epically-sounding sometimes) remixes and arrangements because that's what they are striving for, they never intended to have any complex ocremixes, that's not how smash bros. music should be...

Also, don't go around saying that only the "music buffs" or the ones who "know what they're talking about" are the ones who can see how supposedly bad the brawl music is, that's just stupid.
Sorry, that [art came out wrong. I meant "music buffs" for the term of people that really are into music. You know, the listen to the stuff like you or I breath. I tried to keep this pretty unibiased...
Well, as unibiased as one can be when talking about the people who dislike the music.

And to everyone that says that "Everyone loves the music" I have always found you don't have to dig far to find people that dislike it.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Personally, I've enjoyed the music that Sakurai has sampled for us on the Brawl site. My personal favorite is the "universally hated" (I use this term very loosely because I know it doesn't apply to everybody. This is only from what I have personally read here on the SWF) Metroid music that was introduced on the site, the "Boss Fight (Ridley Theme)." Though I am not what you would call a music aficionado, I can honestly say that the track resonates with me. Not to sound too generic, mind you, but this is totally the kind of music you'd play when the badguy gets the upper hand against the good guy in their epic clash. My imagination soars during the 35 seconds that the song's on; I can just see Ridley whupping the crap out of Samus (in a very cinematic, anime-esque way).

I hope that all of Brawl's songs maintain this precedent, this feel. Now, I'm not saying they should be rockin' tracks like Ridley's Theme; I can't imagine a heavy metal redux of the Mario Bros. theme. I just hope that each track is grandiose and at the same time manages to maintain the integrity of the games that it emanates from.

Smooth Criminal

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
I honestly have no problems with it. It's a theme that fits the genre.

In SSB64, it was kiddies' music.

In Melee, it was more older-oriented and normalized.

Now, it's Epic.

The epic feel is something that suits the third sect of a series so large and popular. It gives it the perfect feel.

And I hardly understand how "Rushed" can be derived from an orchestra doing several versions of songs. Where did THAT come from?

PS: So far, I have seen no negative responses from anyone regarding the music. Only the topic post has a overall dislike for the music. All the other posts in the thread (so far) are disagreeing. I don't see where you got your general consensus from, Blackadder.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Don't forget that Sakurai said, "there may be songs from other games that are left as is, without any new arrangement." The musicians chose songs that match their personalities and tastes, so they are probably trying to make the songs sound great. A lot of people just think negatively about things, so they complain too much. I think they are going for both quality and quantity because of that.

pirkid

Smash Lord
Personally, I've enjoyed the music that Sakurai has sampled for us on the Brawl site. My personal favorite is the "universally hated" (I use this term very loosely because I know it doesn't apply to everybody. This is only from what I have personally read here on the SWF) Metroid music that was introduced on the site, the "Boss Fight (Ridley Theme)." Though I am not what you would call a music aficionado, I can honestly say that the track resonates with me. Not to sound too generic, mind you, but this is totally the kind of music you'd play when the badguy gets the upper hand against the good guy in their epic clash. My imagination soars during the 35 seconds that the song's on; I can just see Ridley whupping the crap out of Samus (in a very cinematic, anime-esque way).

I hope that all of Brawl's songs maintain this precedent, this feel. Now, I'm not saying they should be rockin' tracks like Ridley's Theme; I can't imagine a heavy metal redux of the Mario Bros. theme. I just hope that each track is grandiose and at the same time manages to maintain the integrity of the games that it emanates from.

Smooth Criminal
You win.
Let your mind fly. Maybe some people are just too used to Melee to enjoy Brawl's new-ness. Half the people here are scared Brawl is going to mess up, so it's logical to assume people here will have a problem with the music.

Next thing you know, people are going to be saying the old Pokemon Stadium is better then the new one, and another thread like this will pop up about stages.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Rushed? Bull. If anything was rushed, it was Melee. It came out a full two years after the original, meaning that there can't have been more than a year to work on it. Brawl has been in production for about two years now, maybe even more; we can't be sure.

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
When you look at that list on the dojo of composers contributing to the game, music is probably the last thing we should be worried about.

Sariku

Smash Master
When you look at that list on the dojo of composers contributing to the game, music is probably the last thing we should be worried about.
Quoted. For. Truth.

I don't see why people care that Brawl's songs seem to be Midi, rathe than Orchastrated (I think I spelled it right >.<). Melee only had about 2 Live Recorded songs, Corneria and Fountain of Dreams, but it was still a great game nonetheless.

Some of these songs you can't do when its Live Recorded, AKA Yoshi Story. I love Yoshi Story to death, but it would be just too hard to have someone Fade their voice and such. And again, the music doesn't matter so much when your having a grueling fight with Kirby and Snake.

It's skill then.

Skill.

RokkuManZer0

Smash Apprentice
People are scared of change or does the music sound bad in itself? I can only speak for myself but some of the late musics that have been shown to us CLEARLY sound like MIDI. Listen to Pokémon's Stadium one for example, it starts off good, and then the OBVIOUS synths come in. 16bit soundtrack in my SSBB? It's more likely than you think.

Animal Crossing one just screamed SYNTHS all over the place, which is a pity. I still like the music though.

To think the main theme was so awesome. I was expecting more quality from the soundtrack, I don't dislike it, I'm just disappointed.

Tsugaru

Smash Rookie
With seeing the cast of the music, I'm certainly not worried. I like what I've heard to date.

And I like Synths, so that's no big deal to me.

But seeing that a producer from IIDX is working on the music for Brawl (IIDX is another of my favorite games) has me up jumping for joy in the music. I doubt there will be much disappointment in the music area at all.

And I pay a lot of attention to the music, it kinda sets me at a rhythm of gameplay.

...unless it's Melee's Dr. Mario music, and I start dancing to it.

Kaburii

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget this game is being released in many countries and many people of different ages will be playing it, so suck it up. The Pokemon Gym song could easily pick up speed and rhythm after the 1:30 mark; The Armada song picks up nicely after the preview fades too...

RokkuManZer0

Smash Apprentice
I just want to hear an arrangement from Yasunori Mitsuda the best videogame composer of all time. :p

Here's some of his work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhfvhYkrCW0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF2QXrmS6K8

From Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger respectively.

And here you can witness a lot of his work played by a full orchestra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NITRZK8z0ek

Synths are fine, but doesn't an orchestra convey a lot more feeling into the music? I think so. That's why I said I was disappointed showed thus far. I do understand they're trying to keep the retro feel to the musics, but I wasn't hoping for that. I was hoping for a fully orchestrated soundtrack.

Orchestras are just awesome. T_T

Florida

イーグランツ
Oh, here's the thread. Good to see you finally got it up.

As I told you before, the quality of the music has been amazing so far. It really just comes down to everyone's opinion, and their taste of music. I admit that some songs weren't all that awesome to listen to, but we're only getting samples. I'm pretty definite that the music will match the feel of the mode it's complimenting, and blend in nicely.

And as Aki said, with so many musicians putting effort into this game, music isn't really an issue.

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
I've liked most of the arrangements so far. Looks good to me.

Oooooohhh, yes!!! Chrono Trigger/Cross (Cross I didn't get to finish) musics in Brawl? Orgasm. And... Crono for brawl. (<unexpected)

Unknownlight

Smash Journeyman
I personally like all the music so far, even Ridley Fight. Who wants to listen to orchestrated Yoshi's Story music anyway? How many people notice music in the middle of a match anyway? Answer: Almost nobody (I said almost. Don't flame me).

And anyway, if everything was orchestrated we'd be complaining that there's no variety in the music.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
I have no qualms with the music so far. It's all sounding good to me.

When you take into the amount of songs that are going to be available, too, i don't see how anyone could be unhappy. If you don't like a certain song, just turn it off completely with 'My Music'.

CodeRed

Smash Apprentice
I read it all, I think it was nicely written. I love the music so far and if a CD comes out I will buy it without hesitation.

On that note, I wish I knew where my Melee soundtrack was . . . I got it from an issue of Nintendo Power.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
As long as SOME of the music is fully orchestrated, I don't mind MIDI music at all. It leaves room for more classic tracks, and I think it would actually be neat to hear some retro tunes in their original MIDI forms for nostalgia's sake.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I think the quality of the music is good for the most part. There's no song there that I think is mediocre. Besides, there'll be different kinds of music that other people that play the game will enjoy, anyways.

jambre

Smash Apprentice
i hope they make fountain of dreams a past stage, purely because it was my favourite song in melee

RokkuManZer0

Smash Apprentice
Which was fully orchestrated... Anyway, for those of you who say that a fully orchestrated soundtrack won't provide variety... What the hell have you been smoking? Can I have some?

And Y34HDUD3!!! I'm happy to see there's someone else who enjoys Yasunori Mitsuda's work as much as I do. Glad you enjoyed the vid. :D

My favourite soundtrack of all time is on a 16bit console. I like them synths but I CANNOT deny an orchestra clearly outperforms the original. There's always the nostalgic factor on the original work of course but as I said previously an orchestra can convey a lot more feeling than a couple of synths trying to mimic REAL instruments. How would the songs lose merit by being performed on these REAL instruments they try to mimic?

The songs are good, there's no denying that, but if they were orchestrated, they'd be better. This is my point. I like the soundtrack, I got disappointed as I was expecting a fully orchestrated one. I'll be humming Brawl's tunes in no time though.

Top Bottom