• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers 64 remake proposal

valoem

Smash Journeyman
I wasn’t sure where to post this but here is my proposal. Unfortunately I am aware that Nintendo is not officially allowed to accept ideas from fans. However was hoping to writing a professional proposal instead of fan based mail.

Many people play just super smash brother 64 and not melee. I am one of these people. Like many ssb64 players I was hoping that one day I could play this game competitively.

Due to both the simplicity appeal and addictive nature of this game it would be financial beneficially for Nintendo to integrate Super Smash Brothers 64 into Super Smash Brothers Brawl (similar to the way Street Fighter 2 was added into Street Fighter anniversary edition) as a side game with additional features and retexture it (call it Super Smash Brothers Classic for the time being). This will result in a popularity increase in this game which could generate revenue for Nintendo Corporation as well as satisfy the ssb64 fans. Also I am fully aware that Nintendo is going to allow people to download the game and play online. However that would not increase the popularity of ssb64. The only way to do that is to retexture and rerelease so it can be the center of attention.

Additional features to add to SSBC:

1. A tournament mode, where stage effects are disabled (no whirlwind on Hyrule, no raising lava in Zebas, etc.). Certain stages should be highlighted for tournament legality in this mode (Hyrule, Dreamland, Planet Zebus, Sector Z, Congo Jungle, and what ever new fair levels can be added). This enables both opponents to choose whether or not they want to play on a tournament legal stage. In this mode there should be three more choices. A 1v1 mode, an FFA mode, a team battle mode, and a crew battle mode and the addition of stock and time limit like in ssbm.
2. Add additional levels such as Battlefield and Final Destination to the unlockable levels.

I was wondering how to get Nintendo to recognize such a proposal. I was hoping some of the mods could help me get this idea through to Nintendo.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Nintendo will not accept such a proposal. None of the mods can help you get the idea through to Nintendo, because we are not affiliated with them and they will no faster accept ideas from us than they would from you.

bbb

Smash Champion
You'll probably be able to just buy it on the Wii virtual console.

Sensei

Smash Lord
We should all get together and sign petitions and send them to Nintendo. If we get enough, who knows, the might see that there is strong support for this request and they will please their fans.

Ryuuseiken Marth

Smash Apprentice
They should remake SSB64 for the DS; with some changes like 3-5 Melee characters, Side B attacks, and evading. The characters should be Bowser, Marth, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, and Peach(or Ice Climbers).

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
They should remake SSB64 for the DS; with some changes like 3-5 Melee characters, Side B attacks, and evading. The characters should be Bowser, Marth, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, and Peach(or Ice Climbers).
I completely agree with this idea, over the proposal to redo the game as the topic starter stated. It would be a really good idea as well, but chances are it would be less likely with Brawl approaching. A DS version would also give the DS some needed pick-up, since it's really lacking with it's games, as well as it's overal popularity...so why not one of the most popular, multiplayer nintendo games ever? Also, since Sakurai wanted to add Sigurd from FE into the original SSB, why not throw him in as a special/secret character that absolutely no one would be expecting, instead of a less-popular character from Melee (not saying the characters listed above aren't popular)? I would surely sign a petition for that, but I would also sign one for the remake of SSB64. Maybe we should get one started for a DS game. A simple port with a few added characters shouldn't be hard - especially considering the DS's actual capabilities, such as Mariokart DS. There are good amount of levels, characters, and the graphics are N64-like. There's no reason why they couldn't add four characters from Melee, Sigurd, and two levels from Melee (or one level and a completely new one, to represent Sigurd).
Wow, I kinda ranted a bit too much, please excuse me for going so...kinda off-topic.
In anycase, I do think it's a good idea, both of which were stated. ;D Lets get the petitions going?

King Axel

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'm not sure if people would just buy a game they'd already played just for a few new characters and such... maybe a game based on that engine, but a totally new game?

DarkFr0g

Smash Apprentice
SSBM is a "remake" of SSB. They changed it to be better, and gave it more stuff. The DS version would be somewhere inbetween SSB and SSBM, both in gameplay and technological aspects. So it'd pretty much be a step back, and I don't think serious players would pay much heed to it.

Se><bot

Smash Apprentice
Very interesting idea, I'm sure many SSB fans would really appreciate it.

and Z cancelling >> L cancelling.

valoem

Smash Journeyman
SSBM is a "remake" of SSB. They changed it to be better, and gave it more stuff. The DS version would be somewhere inbetween SSB and SSBM, both in gameplay and technological aspects. So it'd pretty much be a step back, and I don't think serious players would pay much heed to it.
SSBM is not a remake of SSB. Here is an analogy: SSB is to SSBM as Counter-Strike 1.6 is to Counter-Strike Source. These games have completely different engines. Being good at one does not make you good at the other. Street Fighter 2 and Street Fighter 3rd strike are very different, both had a large following which is why I believe the remake should be included with brawl. Too many people like ssbm to back tract to ssb as a stand alone game, however combining the game the same way street fighter did is only beneficial.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
I'm all for Smash on DS even if it is the same as it was on N-64. Just because that game was so much fun and I could take it with me...

hebrewhammer

Smash Apprentice
I say we get a mod team together and recreate it on a newer engine. If theres enough people on the forums with that kind of experience and willingness, it could get done pretty well.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
While a competitive SSB64 scene in real life would be awesome, It's just not going to happen with Brawl being out at the same time(or melee for that matter). Too bad MLG wasn't around during the time SSB64 came out.

D

Deleted member

I support this.

But really, I'd rather NOA just made new 64 controllers and made ssb64 publicized again =/

GenG

Smash Lord
I don't think a SSB game would work on a DS due to the lack of buttons and the little screens. It may result in a simple party game like Jump Superstars.

ArichTheViking

Smash Apprentice
Several points...

1. To the thread maker... It would NOT be financially beneficial for Nintendo to include Smash64 into Brawl as you say, in fact it would hurt them, because it would kill Virtual Console sales of the game. VC sales of Smash64 are sure to be high if they have it out in time for its high profile sequel. Where do the supposed financial benefits come from including the 64 game with Brawl?

2. Interest in competitive Smash64 would not necesarily be increased by including it with Brawl, at least not substantially. The game is already ancient by today's standards, and after the next-gen consoles have all been out for close to a year, the chance of ANYTHING reviving interest in competitive play for a game from the 90s is slim to none.

3. To the person who said: ""A DS version would also give the DS some needed pick-up, since it's really lacking with it's games, as well as it's overal popularity.""
Erm, no. The DS is easily the most popular handheld on the market, in every part of the world. It undercut the age old Game Boy line, and so took a while to catch on, but now is on pace to sell 30 million by the end of this year, and 50 million by the end of next year. Its already produced 14 different million selling software titles, with Nintendogs already outselling every game ever released for XBox or Gamecube. The DS is a nearly unprecedented success.

4. A DS version would end up being radically different than a console version. First of all, there just aren't a lot of buttons, so some functions would have to be mapped to the touch screen, which would be awkward. Then there's the fact that (as SM64DS, and most of the PSPs lineup has proved), handheld reworkings of console games aimed at the more "hardcore" market rarely work. So a DS reworking would have to cater to the more pick-up-and-play aspects of Smash, aiming more at getting in some quick fights online on the bus to work or school, and not on the hardcore competitive side the thread maker is interested in.

0oo0

Smash Cadet
Get an emulator and play it on the computer ? :D like me when im bored of melee :p

loungeact404

Smash Cadet
this is kind of an uneducated question, but what's the probability of being able to play the virtual console version of SSB64 online?

before I get bombarded with "zomg you can already play it online", I know, but who wouldn't prefer playing it on a Wii with better netcode and whatnot?

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
this is kind of an uneducated question, but what's the probability of being able to play the virtual console version of SSB64 online?
I'd say slim to none, at the moment. From the looks of it, Nintendo isn't adding any content to Virtual Console games, but if you never know. Nintendo did say something about adding content (improving graphics, for example) to Virtual Console games, but they said that about a year ago.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
I don't think a SSB game would work on a DS due to the lack of buttons and the little screens. It may result in a simple party game like Jump Superstars.
All you need is A,B, the D-pad,L and R and X and Y is it? can be used for jumping if people don't like hitting up...

GenG

Smash Lord
And how do you do the smash moves by tilting the "stick" here? You could use the touch screen as an analog stick but it was done horribly for Super Mario 64, I gave up on trying to understand how that imaginary analog stick worked and beat the game with the d-pad.

Silpheed

Smash Journeyman
That's what I used to think, until I realized tilts are very important.

That's what I thought was going to happen.
LOL. Yep.

On another note, seems I get neg repped around here alot. It's safe to say majority of the forum's members are children, who know not what they do.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
One tap is normal walk and two is a dash. Using the d-pad instead of an analog is not that big of a deal. Smash is actually the only fighting game I use it in. And even then it can be done without it.

hebrewhammer

Smash Apprentice
Just give the n64 emulator another month or 2 on the psp. It can run it now, just needs to run it smoothly. The button placement is better on psp plus there is an analog stick.

valoem

Smash Journeyman
I still think they should add SSBC as a side game with changes to make it more competitive

Chepe

Smash Lord
Making Smash Bros into a DS game wouldnt be hard at all. Im not saying it should happen, or that I want it (its a step back indeed), but I wont say it cant be made. Buttons are actually perfectly fine on it. Anyone who has played a sidescroller Kirby game will know that HAL based much of Smash Bros character movement on those games.

In his games, Kirby walks by pressing side once, and dashes with a double side tap, much like in Smash Bros. In Kirby Super Star Kirby has various ground, aerials, tilts, dash attacks, and even grabs! It wasnt as complicated in some aspects, but Super Star resembles SSB64 VERY closely. For a Smash game on the DS, heres a good configuration:

Right/Left: Walk, Dash (double tap)
Up: Jump
Down: Crouch

B: Normal moves (works like A button on previous Smashes, combine with a direction tap for Smash attack)
Y: Special move (neutral, up, down, side)
X: Jump
A: Jump

R: Grab (shields if held, throws items)
L: Shield (air dodges if used in air, rolls or sidesteps with direction pad)

Start: Pause
Select: Taunt

With these button configurations a SSBDS would feel much like Melee and 64 combined in a way. The touch screen need not be used. Id rather a SSB on the DS wasnt made because it would look unimpressive after Brawl, but there you have it, it CAN be made...

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
Releasing it for the Virtual Console is the better, and more likely, thing to happen I think. Either way, it'd be nice to be able to play SSB 64 with a gamecube controller.. the analog sticks on the 64 controllers are crap.

Top Bottom