• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Unity (Coming Soon...)

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
Not to be rude, but is the project dead?
I think it may be, but i can't tell you for sure as i haven't been on the team in a while, but last i heard, things weren't going great :/. I kinda hope someone comes out and says something about this whole thing :/.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Not to be rude, but is the project dead?
As a former member of this project, and the creator, I have a few things to say.

Frankly, starting this project was a stupid idea. Now, I don't mean the game itself is a bad idea or would be a bad game. I mean that me, someone with no experience developing games, started this. I literally made this thread a few hours after I had the idea.

At some times this project would be bad some times, and sometimes it would be OK.

I have my own opinions on why the project isn't doing so hot, but I won't share them here in respect for the team members.

Do I think the project will succeed?
No.
Do I want it to?
Yes.

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
As a former member of this project, and the creator, I have a few things to say.

Frankly, starting this project was a stupid idea. Now, I don't mean the game itself is a bad idea or would be a bad game. I mean that me, someone with no experience developing games, started this. I literally made this thread a few hours after I had the idea.

At some times this project would be bad some times, and sometimes it would be OK.

I have my own opinions on why the project isn't doing so hot, but I won't share them here in respect for the team members.

Do I think the project will succeed?
No.
Do I want it to?
Yes.
I have to agree with this, its a shame too :/, i think this project is probably dead and that shatters the swinging brick that i call a heart.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I have to agree with this, its a shame too :/, i think this project is probably dead and that shatters the swinging brick that i call a heart.
I agree. It hurts me too, especially as the creator.
But I'm looking at this in a positive way, and seeing it as a lesson to me. It taught me exactly what not to do when making a video game, and I feel it helped me grow as a game developer who is working on his own games now.

@ APC99 APC99 , I know we're good friends, and I real don't want to be "that guy" or be pushy, but could you please give an update?
If it's dead, don't be afraid to declare it as so. Telling the fans it is coming when it's actually not won't help anyone.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I agree. It hurts me too, especially as the creator.
But I'm looking at this in a positive way, and seeing it as a lesson to me. It taught me exactly what not to do when making a video game, and I feel it helped me grow as a game developer who is working on his own games now.

@ APC99 APC99 , I know we're good friends, and I real don't want to be "that guy" or be pushy, but could you please give an update?
If it's dead, don't be afraid to declare it as so. Telling the fans it is coming when it's actually not won't help anyone.
Its been awhile since I have actually seen APC on the boards. I'm thinking (hopefully not) that he may have left.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So if this game's canned....
...who was the star guy?
I know the answer, but I can't answer it for you until a team member comes out and officially says the game is cancelled, which (and I don't mean to crap on the team) probably won't happen anytime soon.

I guess since I posted some stuff about my experience here above, and that this project doesn't really have a future that I would damage, I guess could explain why I left the team.

On February 15th (I remember the exact date because it was the morning after the Rayman leak), I woke up to the group Skype chat. Apparently, they felt the need to make another Skype group in addition to the current main one. Why, you ask? This group was a "Trial" for me to stay on the team. At first I thought it was a joke, but they were dead serious.

It seemed that while looking for something to blame all their problems on, the team decided I was un-needed and that I was a waste of space. I didn't do much except make jokes and toss around ideas. They put up a vote to kick me out. After some votes were submitted, and it was literally impossible for me to win (even if everyone who hadn't voted yet voted for me to stay), I left before they were able to shame me.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Hello everyone.

Sorry about this whole predicament, I'd like to set a few things straight.

Super Smash Bros. Unity, sadly, is on hiatus for now.

I can't remember the last time when the project was actually getting progress done. This isn't at the fault of any of our spriters, or coders, though. It's more of a large fact we were, for the most part, inexperienced in this area, and had troubles focusing on what was really important. Our efforts weren't completely fruitless, though. I don't think of the Unity Team as co-workers, we were all a bit closer than normal. We had a lot of fun, plenty of amazing Skype chats, and at the time, good work was being done. We couldn't ever agree on things, sure, but we still maintained respect. Everybody had rough days, things they weren't proud of during development, myself included. I regret not being able to offer more than I already did. However, I think Unity helped give us a bit more help in doing what we wanted to.

However, I will say this: A majority of us still want to see this silly thing come true. We just really couldn't handle everything. If there are people interested in helping keeping this thing going, contact me, or anyone on the team. If you legitimately want to see Unity grow, it needs more than what he had / have. I can't be as invested as I used to be in this project, but there's still fragments left. In the right hands, this could become something I never dreamed of achieving. Movesets are still here, some sprites and basic idea on coding, it's just very early design work. If anyone good with coding, spriting, art, anything helpful, wants to join us, please do.

As for me, I've been doing a lot of junk lately. I'm not the greatest leader, people know that. I didn't solve problems, I danced around them. I was stubborn, biased, many other negative adjectives, and lost contact with people I really did care and appreciate on the team because I let stupid things come first. I contributed zilch, and was just the ringleader who collected the glory. But I won't let that stop Unity any longer. I am stepping down from leadership, and I'll let everyone else decide whether I stick or not. I let down so many people over nothing. I'll be around the Boards still, plus Skype.

Unity could die, and I accept that. But for my friend's sake, I really hope that others stand up to the challenge and try to finish what we started.

And the hint was towards Andy from Advance Wars. Figured I'd throw it out there.

Sincerely,
APC

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Hello everyone.

I can't remember the last time when the project was actually getting progress done. This isn't at the fault of any of our spriters, or coders, though. It's more of a large fact we were, for the most part, inexperienced in this area, and had troubles focusing on what was really important. Our efforts weren't completely fruitless, though. I don't think of the Unity Team as co-workers, we were all a bit closer than normal. We had a lot of fun, plenty of amazing Skype chats, and at the time, good work was being done. We couldn't ever agree on things, sure, but we still maintained respect. Everybody had rough days, things they weren't proud of during development, myself included. I regret not being able to offer more than I already did. However, I think Unity helped give us a bit more help in doing what we wanted to.

However, I will say this: A majority of us still want to see this silly thing come true. We just really couldn't handle everything. If there are people interested in helping keeping this thing going, contact me, or anyone on the team. If you legitimately want to see Unity grow, it needs more than what he had / have. I can't be as invested as I used to be in this project, but there's still fragments left. In the right hands, this could become something I never dreamed of achieving. Movesets are still here, some sprites and basic idea on coding, it's just very early design work. If anyone good with coding, spriting, art, anything helpful, wants to join us, please do.

As for me, I've been doing a lot of junk lately. I'm not the greatest leader, people know that. I didn't solve problems, I danced around them. I was stubborn, biased, many other negative adjectives, and lost contact with people I really did care and appreciate on the team because I let stupid things come first. I contributed zilch, and was just the ringleader who collected the glory. But I won't let that stop Unity any longer. I am stepping down from leadership, and I'll let everyone else decide whether I stick or not. I let down so many people over nothing. I'll be around the Boards still, plus Skype.

Unity could die, and I accept that. But for my friend's sake, I really hope that others stand up to the challenge and try to finish what we started.

And the hint was towards Andy from Advance Wars. Figured I'd throw it out there.

Sincerely,
APC
Wish I could help, but I can't.
Maybe, eventually, when you realize Unity is gonna die (if it does), you should post what the roster would've been incase anyone would've ever wanted to pick it up again.

Good luck.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Wish I could help, but I can't.
Maybe, eventually, when you realize Unity is gonna die (if it does), you should post what the roster would've been incase anyone would've ever wanted to pick it up again.

Good luck.
APC kinda just said it's essentially dead.
He's just letting everyone else make the decision to drag it on or not.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
APC kinda just said it's essentially dead.
He's just letting everyone else make the decision to drag it on or not.
Firstly, that avatar is he single most entertaining one I've ever seen you have, Bidoof.

Secondly, I'm sad that the sister project to Super Smash Bros. X - Soon to be known by a different name - is dying, and furthermore that it died like this. If any of the gents from Unity want to continue the dream, let me know. Maybe we can keep the project alive in spirit. @ APC99 APC99 - you are one of my best friends on the boards, and I wish you luck in your future. We really need to get a chat together sometime.

Unity was....well.... overly ambitious before I left, let's put it that way. It garnered attention, for sure, and the work we saw was absolutely stunning....it just wasn't enough to keep it alive. It's a shame to see that talent go to waste. Once again, I extend the offer to former members of the Unity team to help contribute to SSBX.... we can keep the spirit of the game alive.

-Keybladeguy

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Just throwing this out there: I might make a Smash fan-game of my own once I have actual experience as a game dev and can make something on my own, but I'm not even thinking about it until I have released one full original game, and I wouldn't confirm it until I have a playable demo.

So yeah. Maybe potentially something for the very distant future, and by distant future, I mean, like, years.

Fancy

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyChicken
Just throwing this out there: I might make a Smash fan-game of my own once I have actual experience as a game dev and can make something on my own, but I'm not even thinking about it until I have released one full original game, and I wouldn't confirm it until I have a playable demo.

So yeah. Maybe potentially something for the very distant future, and by distant future, I mean, like, years.
Eh I wouldn't recommend it. I personally think while fan games are awesome, you might as well use that time to make an original game. Its understandable for games like smash flash and mother 4 because they were started AGES ago, but now days its better to use development time for something else.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
@ APC99 APC99 - Got a quick question for you. Your time-themed design for Battlefield...How would you like it to be Honored as our battlefield in SSBX, as a tribute to Unity's dreams?
I don't want to start an argument, and I certainly don't want to imply I have any authority here, but if I were on the team, I'd say no.

No offense, but it's not really an "honor" to have a beautiful, originally created stage in a game featuring borrowed and/or clashing sprites, and choppy animations.

SSBX (which is also Brawl's name in Japan) has a different philosophy than Unity did. It wants to get things out and playable fast, instead of focusing on the little details and visuals that people will remember.

Unity tried to take its time and make it perfect, and have love and effort in every pixel.
2baditdudn'ttho

Nice call. I was typing my post as you posted this.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I don't want to start an argument, and I certainly don't want to imply I have any authority here, but if I were on the team, I'd say no.

No offense, but it's not really an "honor" to have a beautiful, originally created stage in a game featuring borrowed and/or clashing sprites, and choppy animations.

SSBX (which is also Brawl's name in Japan) has a different philosophy than Unity did. It wants to get things out and playable fast, instead of focusing on the little details and visuals that people will remember.

Unity tried to take its time and make it perfect, and have love and effort in every pixel.
2baditdudn'ttho

Nice call. I was typing my post as you posted this.
Except we've been working to make the sprites NOT clash. If you recall, not only are we changing the name, but also the fact that we mentioned we are actually putting some effort into sprites. Our main focus was just the engine at the time.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Except we've been working to make the sprites NOT clash. If you recall, not only are we changing the name, but also the fact that we mentioned we are actually putting some effort into sprites. Our main focus was just the engine at the time.
I don't want to interrupt but uh...What's Smash Bros X, does it even have a post on the Boards?

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Now that it's done and all, can you guys share with us how close did you actually get to a playable build

Dustination

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dustination
3DS FC
5215-1019-9015

2baditdudn'ttho
Nobody is going to remember those sprites if there's nowhere to show them. Gameplay is what leaves a lasting impression.

Both of you, however, appear to have an unsound mindset when it comes to game development and I would hope it's been a learning experience if nothing else.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Kind of a shame that this project is pretty much dead (Not unless someone is worthy enough wants to take over), but to be perfectly honest, a part of me expected that to happen, but the rest of me wanted for it to succeed. It's obvious that it's not easy to make a good smash bros game. I mean, our pal Sakurai definitely didn't make it seem easy to perfect the real smash games, and big fan projects like Crusade and Flash 2 are still on the works.

I guess my advice is to see how far you guys have done since you started. If you haven't really made any huge progress at this time to accomplish your goals, then it is probably best to scrap the whole game out and rebuild the game once you guys get more experience. Now it's up to you guys if you really want to try this again and be more ready for it once you know more about how everything works, but be ready to start from the ground again because the old engine may not be so compatible to your new knowledge.

I can tell many of you guys are learning from this project and that is perfectly fine, but that can only get you so far. Now I may not know much about programming (I do have little experience, but I honestly don't like it) and my sprite work from Smash Clash isn't like your guys' work, however I have seen stuff like this happen before. The project had some serious potential to follow up to, and I hope you guys would still want to reach its potential eventually at another time. I don't know if you guys had made games before (I'm assuming you do) but I assure you that you'll want to start smaller and eventually build up to bigger games and even big enough to handle smash and possibly bigger if you let yourselves do so. I bet you guys would be a lot more ready to handle a smash fan game in the future compared to how you guys started. :)

Anyway, I hope someone else takes over or any remaining members want to go back to the game once they're ready. If no one decides to take over or continue it, at least you guys learned from this experience and hopefully had fun doing so.

Fanttum

Smash Cadet
So if this is abandoned, can we get the source code?
It doesn't have to be everything, but it is always good to see how people would take part in something like this and learning from how you made it.
And maybe people could pick up your ideas and make a new game from that. It would be giving the community something, and I think that would make everyone more happy.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So if this is abandoned, can we get the source code?
It doesn't have to be everything, but it is always good to see how people would take part in something like this and learning from how you made it.
And maybe people could pick up your ideas and make a new game from that. It would be giving the community something, and I think that would make everyone more happy.
While I left the team in February and don't know what happened after that, there wasn't really any code at all when I left. We had Mario running and jumping on Final Destination. Maybe the team got more stuff done in terms of the code after I left, but I don't know.

Fanttum

Smash Cadet
While I left the team in February and don't know what happened after that, there wasn't really any code at all when I left. We had Mario running and jumping on Final Destination. Maybe the team got more stuff done in terms of the code after I left, but I don't know.
Ahhh, so it was "that" bad. Sorry to hear that

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
When is the demo coming out?!
I don't mean to sound condescending, but you're on the same page as this post:

Hello everyone.

Sincerely,
APC
You could just read.

Last edited:

MMLegends

Smash Rookie
I will miss you guys. Here's my tribute to you guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kQ5Cz_mrzUunity
Also i would like to take over your project. I already got a legitimate team of 8 persons and we want to give a try.
We will need your source code as well as your previous devs. I can hold a meeting if you guys want and we can discuss the future of unity.
I will be waiting for your response.

ZaoMonichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noaharc10
3DS FC
4398-9530-8610
I will miss you guys. Here's my tribute to you guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kQ5Cz_mrzUunity
Also i would like to take over your project. I already got a legitimate team of 8 persons and we want to give a try.
We will need your source code as well as your previous devs. I can hold a meeting if you guys want and we can discuss the future of unity.
I will be waiting for your response.
Add me on Skype.

ZaoMonichi

Top Bottom