• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Revealed at E3 2018

i-am-the-one-don't-weigh-a-ton-don't-need-a-gun-to-get-respect-up-on-the-street.jpg
While Nintendo’s E3 presentation had a good enough start - we saw some neat indie games, received more information on Pokemon Let’s Go Pikachu and Let’s Go Eevee, got our first look at Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Super Mario Party, and even saw the announcement of some ports of high-profile third-party games like Fortnite and Dragon Ball FighterZ - the real star of the show came at the end, with a 25 minute long look at the new Super Smash Bros. title.

First teased during the May 8th, 2018 Nintendo Direct, we’ve finally received some concrete information about the new Smash game, titled Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which is set to release on December 7th, 2018. The presentation came with a plethora of information about the game, with a detailed look at the game’s characters and system mechanics, with plenty of stages, items and assist trophies revealed along the way.

Characters

After a brief introduction featuring Masahiro Sakurai, viewers are treated to a series of clips showcasing each character, including the first major announcement regarding the game’s roster: every character from throughout the entire series will be returning, including characters like Snake, Pichu and Young Link that only appeared in one game.

everyone-is-here.jpg

On top of that, observant viewers may notice that while every other character was numbered based on when they were first introduced in Smash, this isn’t the case for Dark Pit or Lucina, who instead shared Pit and Marth’s respective numbers with an epsilon symbol next to it. This is because of the addition of echo fighters - a formal categorization for clones that only have small differences from the original character. For now, we don’t know what exactly this means for their place in the roster, but we do know who the game’s first new echo fighter is - Daisy!

We also got a more in-depth look at the Inklings. Their specials and smash attacks use different weapons from Splatoon, including the splattershot as their neutral-special and an ink roller for what appears to be a side special. Any opponents who get inked by these moves take additional damage from the Inklings’ attacks, adding a dynamic element to the character.

At the end of the presentation, we also got a look at Ultimate’s next newcomer: Ridley. While Sakurai has previously stated that he and his team couldn’t find a way to faithfully represent Ridley in Smash, it looks like that has changed, and impressively so.

System Mechanics

After the character showcase, we got a look at several universal mechanics - some of them new, others returning from previous games. Every character now has an attack they can use while climbing ladders, and all smash attacks can now be used while dashing.

The most prominent returning mechanic is directional air dodges. Like in Super Smash Bros. Melee, holding a direction while performing an air dodge will make the character shift their momentum in that direction - though unlike Melee, this also comes with a small movement in the opposite direction beforehand. According to several players who got a chance to play the game at E3, no momentum is retained while air dodging into the ground, so while you can use this directional air dodge to waveland, you can't use it to wavedash.

Dodges also now stale in Ultimate - the more frequently you use them, the longer the animation and the fewer intangibility frames you have. This applies to both air dodges and dodge rolls. Perfect shielding has also received an overhaul - it's now performed by lowering your shield right before a move hits.

Author's Note: We'll surely be receiving more information about Ultimate leading up to its December 7th release date, so stay tuned. Until then, what was your favorite part of the presentation we saw?

Scribe

Comments

Wow nice, one character with some combos, doesn't really say much about the gazillion other characters in this game but w/e. Also in that video it seems like there is not much you can get out of throw combos besides low-mid %, which is exactly what I was worried about. Oh well.

Hopefully things change before the official release, and hopefully Sakurai took notes from the various Melee players in attendance at E3 (and the invitational wasn't just a PR stunt), cautious optimism hat is still on for me for now...

Wow nice, one character with some combos, doesn't really say much about the gazillion other characters in this game but w/e. Also in that video it seems like there is not much you can get out of throw combos besides low-mid %, which is exactly what I was worried about. Oh well.

Hopefully things change before the official release, and hopefully Sakurai took notes from the various Melee players in attendance at E3 (and the invitational wasn't just a PR stunt), cautious optimism hat is still on for me for now...
For someone who is notorious for liking nearly every post I ever see, you sure are pessimistic :laugh:

I dunno, Broseph! I've seen Samus do some bitchin combos too....

For someone who is notorious for liking nearly every post I ever see, you sure are pessimistic :laugh:
I'm going to be realistic about this new game; I don't want to be overly positive because of this initial hype, since I might as well be shouting into an echo chamber if that was the case.

On that note, here are some good things about SSBU AFAIK:

• You can cancel your run and turnaround animations with any attack moves barring shielding and crouching. This is going to be huge. However, anything related to pivots and initial dash mechanics appear to be basically gone, so if your character has a longer initial dash, you are kinda screwed because you have slower access to run/turnaround cancelling abilities.
  • It seems like aerial landing lag frames in SSBU are much closer to l-cancelled frames in Melee and PM, so this is very welcome change, thank ****ing god.
  • Dash-dancing distance is much larger than in brawl and smash 4, but you can't control the distance at all, so this is kinda meh. It will be highly character-dependent for its utility.
At this point I'm mostly worried about the combos (the knockback is like if someone punched a balloon, lol), and overall character strength. I don't expect wavedashing to return, considering that Sakurai added directional air dodging but intentionally disabled the ability to airdodge immediately after you jump, as well as the airdodge landing lag from Sm4sh (nice **** move there, Sakurai). If it's like Sm4sh, characters are going to be mad weak and I will quickly lose interest and stick to PM, Melee, and 4xM. Speaking of character strengths...

I dunno, Broseph! I've seen Samus do some bitchin combos too....
Samus appears to be bad according to ESAM and Duck (https://twitter.com/PG_ESAM/status/1007431105245401088 ), so RIP.

Last edited:
  • It seems like aerial landing lag frames in SSBU are much closer to l-cancelled frames in Melee and PM, so this is very welcome change, thank ****ing god.
Could not agree more XD

Edit: sorry for double post. Not sure what happened.

Last edited:
Also in that video it seems like there is not much you can get out of throw combos besides low-mid %, which is exactly what I was worried about.
I didn't know what you were talking about until I started paying attention and noticed this BS.
Oh, shoot, I noticed even more blatant bullsh*t.
Check out the hitbox on the Dragoon at 2:25, and slow it down to .25x speed so you don't miss it.
That should not have hit Larry.

And here's more gameplay:
Notice at 2:33 how Pikachu takes a full charge shot to the face at 86% and doesn't die... ON THE MAIN STAGE.
TRA5H

Last edited:
I didn't know what you were talking about until I started paying attention and noticed this BS.
Check out the hitbox on the Dragoon at 2:25, and slow it down to .25x speed so you don't miss it.
That should not have hit Larry. TRA5H
I'm wondering what it is you're getting out of this, because it doesn't seem like your thoughts are productively worded like the rest of us that are trying to give fair feedback.

I'm wondering what it is you're getting out of this, because it doesn't seem like your thoughts are productively worded like the rest of us that are trying to give fair feedback.
The developers have had 3 years to gather """fair""" feedback. The time for moderation has long past unless you want more of the same.
What I want is an excellent Smash game, and this is shaping up to be just not that.
I'm not going to sugarcoat like so many others seem content to do, hoping that the developers can just read their mind so they can spare them the harsh words.

The developers have had 3 years to gather """fair""" feedback. The time for moderation has long past unless you want more of the same.
What I want is an excellent Smash game, and this is shaping up to be just not that.
I'm not going to sugarcoat like so many others seem content to do, hoping that the developers can just read their mind so they can spare them the harsh words.
Yes, and there is the problem: What "YOU" want, and what YOU think, isn't the onlly way to happiness bud.

Give your feelings if ya gotta. Just don't put so much stock in what YOU think is good and bad. It'll make you and the rest of us less miserable. Be respectful to people who see things differently.

Saying "Hey, I personally have a hard time liking this thing here." is a hell of a lot better to your cause than saying "OMG THIS SUCKS!!!! MELEE IS KING, WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!!!!!!!!!" and I say that for your benefit, not mine.

There are literally 7 months of development left...

For faults this small it’s down right unfair to label the game “trash” when it’s a demo and an unfinished product. Especially in the era of game patching.

Things I've noticed between the trailers and websites and videos people have made and just some personal opinions on the game:

Ganon, Link, Pokemon Trainer, Pac-Man and Falco appear to for competing most buffed as of right now (Ganon is faster and has better range and faster attacks, Link has similar changes to Ganon along with his changed special attacks, Squirtle has recived buffs across the board, despite already being the best of the three Pokemon and the other two have received a handful of buffs along with some nerfs; switching Pokemon is also easier and stamina is removed, Pac-Man has had buffs to all of his specials and his grab, Falco's blaster and reflector are both faster, restoring his good neutral game from Brawl) while Cloud, Bayo, Sonic, Ice Climbers, and Fox seem to be the most nerfed as confirmed by general consensus and the Smash Wiki. Pikachu seems to have been buffed quite a bit as well as he combos better. I guess that this change to Pikachu will also affect Pichu even more so due to the weaker knockback on his attacks.

Some other characters appear to have been buffed as well though it is more subtle. Dr. Mario's video shows him having a surprisingly good combo on Dedede meaning his combo potential has probably been buffed (despite it already being surprisingly good in Smash 4), he seems to have priority on down b as it easily hits right through Luigi's, and he has Captain Falcon's down air which is one of the best spikes in the game. Little Mac's recovery potential has been improved slightly and overall buffs to dash dancing seem to affect him the most out of all characters. DK has a faster overall moveset. Samus is less floaty and has had buffs to her special moveset and her down smash. Pikachu seems to combo better and my guess is that this change will also affect Pichu even more so due to the weaker knockback on his attacks. Jiggs seems to have less end lag overall on aerials. Kirby seems to have a bit better range and attack power on some attacks. Zelda's and Snake's specials have been buffed.

Not that many characters have been nerfed, it seems. Most characters who have received some nerfs (Like Mario, Ness, or Charizard) seems to have been buffed in other areas to compensate.

I'm guessing every character will have their own home stage like Melee and I don't think every stage will return.

I'm guessing there will be a total of either 72 or 75 fighters.

I hope that they release a full soundtrack of this game even if it is 20 hours long or something.

DK and Marth will be SS Tier when the game releases.

If there is a hazard switch, we are going to have a lot more legal stages.

IDK if it is just me but the main theme seems to resemble 2 songs from other Nintendo games.
The Race Theme from Super Mario Galaxy (IDK why) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwXlxajcBL8
And these three remixes of Melee's main theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB2hQicc13Q https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5mqac2HbWQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPGciKwIIp4

I'm guessing there will be a total of either 72 or 75 fighters.
On the Smash Bros. Ultimate Website it appears that there are two slots open based on the columns size, so I think it'll be more like 67.
We can always hope for more though.

...Also doc buff :D

Last edited:
How can people keep getting this wrong? Wavedashing was discovered during development and they left it in. On some level that implies intention.
um... no. They made it so that air dodging towards the ground would let characters slide rather than letting them clip into the stage. They left it in because it was harmless as it was and made sense. It was never intended to be a dashing mechanic by the developers. The "dashing" mechanic was invented by abusing that maliciously and creating a movement option from it. Wavedashing as it is, in melee, is an invention of the competitive community.

Samus appears to be bad according to ESAM and Duck (https://twitter.com/PG_ESAM/status/1007431105245401088 ), so RIP.
I know that they are competent players who know what they are doing but it is too early to pass a verdict on Samus's and overall everyone else's performance. Even veteran players and knowledgeable people thought Mario was bad after Smash 4 released, and the guy barely changed with patches: https://smashboards.com/threads/i-want-mario-to-be-a-good-character.375917/

There are still months of testing and possible balance updates after release. Although it's better if this keeps being brought up to the dev's attention.

That should not have hit Larry.

And here's more gameplay:
Notice at 2:33 how Pikachu takes a full charge shot to the face at 86% and doesn't die... ON THE MAIN STAGE.
TRA5H
This entire post was literally just a nitpick at two things that don't really matter in the long run. Just because the Dragoon has a disjointed hitbox doesn't mean its a trash game.

Honestly, I disagree with the people who say Smash Ult is just Smash 4.5. There are a lot of key differences in characters. For example, Ike is hella faster now, and unlike his smash 4 counterpart you can see when ZeRo is playing against Leffen at Nintendo Treehouse, that Ike can apply pressure with moves like bair which he could not do in Smash 4. Not to mention the staling of dodging. As for characters that did not change why does it matter? Take Sheik for example, say Sakurai said "Wow I did a great job with Sheik she plays exactly like a ninja which matches her theme." If this is so, then why should he change it in the first place. Yet a large amount of people despite this say he should change it anyway for it to be a new game in their eyes. Does not make a lot of sense to me.

Top Bottom