• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Patch 2.0.0 official balance changes

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
I just downloaded the update. Character balance changes are here:
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43317

Outside the balance changes, the two most interesting changes I see in this update are:

1) Adjusted the calculation method for Global Smash Power.
2) Pressing both jump buttons at the same time will now cause you to Short Hop.

#1 was somewhat expected so we'll see how the adjusted calculation method works out. #2 I don't think any of us expected or even requested but that's an interesting little update. You can now short-cut all your short-hops without attacking. Gonna go test it out in training.

Last edited:

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
K rools so OP that the developers cant even touch him.

Nah they nerfed the **** outta him nvm lololol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, is PP busted as all hell? I don't have him in my roster. Not that I'm complaining though.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
K rools so OP that the developers cant even touch him.

Nah they nerfed the **** outta him nvm lololol
K.Rool honestly didn't deserved the nerfs that he gotten. It wasn't impossible to avoid his jank setups. Like it wasn't hard to mash out of his Dthrow.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
K.Rool honestly didn't deserved the nerfs that he gotten. It wasn't impossible to avoid his jank setups. Like it wasn't hard to mash out of his Dthrow.
The only K. Rool nerf I support was shortening the distance on his up special. No character that heavy should have a recovery that good.

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
I don't think so. It probably means they added invincibility frames.
On Samus' aerial missiles? That sounds a little unlikely to me.

Also only tangential but I don't know where else to ask, is there something I need to do besides download the update and register the My Nintendo code to get Piranha Plant? I'm not seeing it.
EDIT: Figured it out, nvm.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Personally I'm stoked to hear about having up to 4 players in spirit boards. Now if we can have at least 2 player co-op for WoL...

And it's a relief to know that you can play DLC characters in WoL. Tested it out with Piranha Plant. Once you start up any of the save files it will tell you that Piranha Plant is now playable.

Last edited:

Monollock

Smash Rookie
I think the Nerf's to K rools recovery needed a nerf, the hitbox on it was really stupid

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
The list is missing c.falcon wheres his buffs..

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
Is anyone else genuinely annoyed that they buffed Incineroar's recovery? Even though Incineroar is lower-mid tier, good Incineroar players are already mad annoying and hard to kill. Now it's just gonna be worse.

On Samus' aerial missiles? That sounds a little unlikely to me.

Also only tangential but I don't know where else to ask, is there something I need to do besides download the update and register the My Nintendo code to get Piranha Plant? I'm not seeing it.
EDIT: Figured it out, nvm.

What did you figure out? Piranha Plant hasn't shown up for me either, and I bought my game digitally so I wasn't supposed to have to register it.

GP2

Smash Apprentice
I think we're still gonna need a patch notes thread on here/people to confirm changes. The notes nintendo gave were very vague.

Krimnorr

Smash Cadet
I don't think so. It probably means they added invincibility frames.
Either this, or they reduced the endlag of the move. I'm not entirely sure.
edit: Wait, im actually dumb. That was what was suggested before. Sorry.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think we're still gonna need a patch notes thread on here/people to confirm changes. The notes nintendo gave were very vague.
That's what this thread is for, too. Also, I believe at least one Super Mod is working on it right now. :)

Speaking of patches, I wish Daisy and Peach got some differences beyond their height, which barely affects gameplay.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Is anyone else genuinely annoyed that they buffed Incineroar's recovery? Even though Incineroar is lower-mid tier, good Incineroar players are already mad annoying and hard to kill. Now it's just gonna be worse.
I'm not bothered. My brother uses Incineroar and he dies most of the time because he can't make it back to the stage. He ends up getting frustrated and I'm denied a good fight. Now he'll put up a better fight.
Yes, that's the only reason I need.

Last edited:

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Greninja got
+ a buff to his down smash
- a nerf to his up special ( essentially removing a glitch involving his up b )
Greninja got buffed overall !?!?!

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Edit: Wrong thread.

But while I'm here, most of the buffs/nerfs made in this patch are fair. Nothing too big though.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That's what this thread is for, too. Also, I believe at least one Super Mod is working on it right now. :)

Speaking of patches, I wish Daisy and Peach got some differences beyond their height, which barely affects gameplay.
It really doesn't make sense for Daisy to be as much of a clone as she currently is. Not sure if she'll ever get some differences in the future, but man, it'd be nice if they did something small to remind you that she isn't essentially a glorified alt.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It really doesn't make sense for Daisy to be as much of a clone as she currently is. Not sure if she'll ever get some differences in the future, but man, it'd be nice if they did something small to remind you that she isn't essentially a glorified alt.
All she has is slightly different hurtboxes.

To be fair, she has rarely any differences among the games(though she does get them sometimes). So her fighting near identical to Peach is fitting. But yeah, they can do better than height changes.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
All she has is slightly different hurtboxes.

To be fair, she has rarely any differences among the games(though she does get them sometimes). So her fighting near identical to Peach is fitting. But yeah, they can do better than height changes.
Not saying her clone status doesn't make sense, but she has dozens upon dozens of spin-offs to draw inspiration from. Kind of a bummer that the best she got was, "Ooo!! Look at the pretty flower effects!"

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
I just did some training as :ultpiranha: and HOLY CRAP is he fun to play! A little wonky since he's new, but boy howdy does he have some kill power!

Read through the character changes and it looks like most everyone got endlag buffs. I haven't tested anyone else out yet, but so far my standouts are:
:ultrosalina: got some HUGE and sorely needed buffs. Most notably now you can properly space Luma with jabs like in Smash 4. This seems to have gone unadvertised in the patch notes, but I'm doing it right now in training and it was not possible before the patch. Down tilt also does this which is big with the buff to Luma's Dtilt range. Dtilt is now a really good edge poke tool as Rosa can hang back a little more and let Luma do the dirty work.

:ultchrom: Losing Chromcide was expected. If :ultincineroar::ultganondorf::ultridley: were to die first, then it's only fair. It's still great if you've got a stock lead though and Chrom is still no sleeper.

:ultkrool: The blunderbuss vacuum effect doesn't seem to have lessened, but now you can't just hold vacuum indefinitely. It's still deadly and a great move, but you can't sit and hold it at the edge like a camping turd anymore.

:ultinkling: and :ultkrool: losing bury time at low % was sorely needed. It seems that the moves are generally easier to mash out of even at mid %, but I'd have to lab it to actually see. Both characters don't really stand to lose a lot from these nerfs, but it makes the game far less janky and honestly more in line with what other bury moves do in the game.

Overall I think this was a really good, well thought-out patch.

Beatrice

Smash Cadet
The landing lag buff to Sheik's upair seems like a nice QoL buff to drag-down combos. It's sad to see her essentially outclassed in every way.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not saying her clone status doesn't make sense, but she has dozens upon dozens of spin-offs to draw inspiration from. Kind of a bummer that the best she got was, "Ooo!! Look at the pretty flower effects!"
Those spin-offs are also common abilities everyone has. It's more that it doesn't give her something that's hers and hers alone. The whole plant thing was her only unique ability at best. So there was little options. A near identical echo is pretty accurate with the flower effects.

It shouldn't be too hard to make slight changes, though. Make her FS last a bit longer, for instance. Her flowery effects could deal more damage than Peach's, but have less knockback. Etc.

D

Deleted member

I don't see any major changes. How long until major changes happen? Asking as a sore loser.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Update.
Chrom doesn't die first in a Gimp situation/Edgeguard Under the stage.

He only die first over the stage/on the stage and there have been instance where Landing-F-air might lead to Chrombo still being here.

Thanks God. Nintendo aren't stupid

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ugh, Chromicide is still doable? Patch wasn't good enough, then. He should die first if Ganondorf and Bowser die first. Zero exceptions. That was really the only worthwhile thing to even nerf him on, anyway. He was completely fair otherwise with reasonable balance.

Top Bottom