• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Let’s see...

Box Theory
Color Theory
Music Theory
Smash Ballet Theory
Furniture Theory
Cloud Theory
Smash Down Theory

I wonder if all these theories are becoming more fact then Theory now since the release isn’t that far away. But hey it’s amazing how Smash Fans keep the community going with these awesome theory’s. I believe the next Theory would be DLC I guess?
Okay so

Box theory: Snake is in.

Cloud theory: cloud is in.

Now we just have to figure out what characters correspond to the other theories.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Let’s see...

Box Theory
Color Theory
Music Theory
Smash Ballet Theory
Furniture Theory
Cloud Theory
Smash Down Theory

I wonder if all these theories are becoming more fact then Theory now since the release isn’t that far away. But hey it’s amazing how Smash Fans keep the community going with these awesome theory’s. I believe the next Theory would be DLC I guess?
The only thing i NEED to know right now is...

Where do i buy the tickets for the smash ballet? I need to see that stuff...

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
User was warned for this post
Y'all are aware color theory was only created to make a mockery of the music theory, yes?

Pretty sure it was designed to be facetious but it totally failed in that regard.
In the world of stupid people, thinking is bad so theories are banned and mocked. It's like watching hardcore religious people deny Charles Darwin's evolution theory.

"Evolution theory? HAHA LUL WHATS NEXT AMRIGHT?"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay so

Box theory: Snake is in.

Cloud theory: cloud is in.

Now we just have to figure out what characters correspond to the other theories.
Color is Inkling
Music is Rhythm Heaven
Smash Ballet is a Baklet Dancer(?)
Furniture is Isabelle
Smash Down is Black Shadow because: Smash Down->Down Smash. Caotain Falcon just walks up and down smashes you, Black Shadow would be his direct opposite but still his Echo and as such Smash Down

IT ALL COMES TOGETHER

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Color is Inkling
Music is Rhythm Heaven
Furniture is Isabelle
Smash Down is Black Shadow because: Smash Down->Down Smash. Caotain Falcon just walks up and down smashes you, Black Shadow would be his direct opposite but still his Echo and as such Smash Down

IT ALL COMES TOGETHER
Theory theory is looking strong you guys.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
In the world of stupid people, thinking is bad so theories are banned and mocked. It's like watching hardcore religious people deny Charles Darwin's evolution theory.

That's a gross exaggeration there. The problem is that Box Theory is used to shoot down speculation, not encourage it...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Color is Inkling
Music is Rhythm Heaven
Furniture is Isabelle

IT ALL COMES TOGETHER
Yes to Black Shadow!!!!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Thanks. I ain't trying to alienate people with my love for Yoshi... :yoshi:
Some people just can't handle unbridled passion. :p

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I would have no issues with Sans as a fighter in Smash Ultimate. I'd actually probably like such a thing.
I wouldn't be against it in theory--it has an interesting gimmick that could be Smashified in a unique way, and it would be nice for a game inspired by Earthbound to be represented in that way. I'd be more into a wackier character like that in a larger roster, though.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, I need to go to bed...

I hope we get something, or an announcement of something, or something resembling something different that can't be dismissed offhand...

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Regarding the talk about getting another ESRBesque leak, it seems the ESRB leak have given people an unrealistic expectation of how leaks usually go, people shouldn't be expecting that at all. The ESRB leak for Smash 4 was a rare occurrence, I haven't heard of any other instance like it with such a high profile game, and no doubt there's farther security since then after how much the ESRB leak was publicized. We're almost certainly going to be stuck with text leaks from Vergeben and others until very shortly before release (like a week or less before release), when copies of the game are out in the wild and some people break the street date. At most maybe a couple pictures will slip through before then, but a full out reel of pictures and videos is extremely unlikely to leak.

Regarding the talk of character vs. boss for Skull Kid, Skull Kid essentially is Majora; Skull Kid is simply a vessel for Majora's Mask and Majora is the source for all his powers, the boss we fight or character we play as is really Majora and thus can be for either role (while I extremely doubt Majora's Mask as a boss and Skull Kid as a playable character could happen). Skull Kid/Majora's Mask would be unlike prior Smash bosses because of how small they are, but that doesn't mean it can't happen (Dracula as is already significantly departs from prior bosses, having a specific weak point you have to attack to harm him and transforming into another form). I would vastly prefer other Zelda bosses, but I could very well see Skull Kid/Majora be a boss, since Majora's Mask is the most popular and well known Zelda villain/boss after Ganondorf/Ganon, but can also see them as a playable character, for the aforementioned reason and the high demand for a Zelda newcomer, it could really go either way.

However as someone who thinks ATs are fully eligible to get promoted via DLC, I think bosses are very likely ineligible, but if the outcry is enough, who knows, regardless I certainly understand Skull Kid and Zelda fans not being happy with Skull Kid being a boss as it adds a big obstacle to Skull Kid making Ultimate's roster. I personally would like to see Skull Kid playable and thus would be against him/Majora being a boss, though I'm not invested into them to be crushed by it and think it could have good potential for an interesting boss fight.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Guys I got a theory.

Sakurai hasn't said we get no more newcomers right? That must mean we have at least

ONE
MORE
NEWCOMER

The best part? This theory fits with every other theory! I call it, the

"Every theory is HERE" theory

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Ugh, I need to go to bed...

I hope we get something, or an announcement of something, or something resembling something different that can't be dismissed offhand...
Sakurai could go to people's houses in person and show them the entire roster and say this is definitively it, and you'd still have people say, "Yeah, but he's just joking, Waluigi will be playable somehow."

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The game has two months until it comes out.

We've yet to see anything related to All Star, sub-games like HRC, Trophies, and, oh right, the big elephant in the room.

Spirits Mode.

One character isn't enough to tide us over when we've had two Smash Directs 2 months apart from one another.
All that stuff will probably be shown in the last Direct before the game comes out. You only need a second to talk about trophies, HRC, and other stuff that is a staple of the series, and we know we are going to get in Ultimate. A new character reveal is a much bigger deal than trophies of HRC. Especially when we are only getting a few new characters.

Sakurai likely planned to spread new info out from E3 to December 7th sparingly because there isn't a lot of new characters to show and only one new mode, Spirits.

The problem is, you guys are expecting that there is a lot left to show for Ultimate. When I get the feeling that there really isn't. You guys are dieing for new info when there's only a little left. And Sakurai likely wants to spread things out.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
All that stuff will probably be shown in the last Direct before the game comes out. You only need a second to talk about trophies, HRC, and other stuff that is a staple of the series, and we know we are going to get in Ultimate. A new character reveal is a much bigger deal than trophies of HRC. Especially when we are only getting a few new characters.

Sakurai likely planned to spread new info out from E3 to December 7th sparingly because there isn't a lot of new characters to show and only one new mode, Spirits.
And depending on how big SPirits is, you can probably go over 10-15 minutes just there.

Let alone the supposed 5 stages we've yet to see.

And the Vergeben characters, and Sakurai explaining how they work.

Right there is a solid 20 minutes of information.

Like, maybe I'm crazy, but planning out Directs every 2 months until release seems perfect:

June > August > October > Release

If we're still getting rehashed info from 8.8 deep into October.... well besides music, what even is the point of watching the blog? There is none.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I do hope October is the month for the next Direct because I don't know if the forum will survive if it isn't after that. :laugh:

LetterO

Smash Lord
I hope October is when we get a solo trailer like Robin and November is the next Smash direct

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I do hope October is the month for the next Direct because I don't know if the forum will survive if it isn't after that. :laugh:
Sakurai heard you loud and clear. In October he'll announce that the game got delayed to March and that there won't be any smash related directs until next year.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
dream.png

Here's my dream newcomers, not including echo fighters or newcomers already revealed. Isabelle was my most wanted newcomer, but now that she's in she isn't on this list. Note that this is not a prediction at all. I don't expect this to ever happen. It's just my dreams. Thoughts?

Mr. Trumo

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 165637
Here's my dream newcomers, not including echo fighters or newcomers already revealed. Isabelle was my most wanted newcomer, but now that she's in she isn't on this list. Note that this is not a prediction at all. I don't expect this to ever happen. It's just my dreams. Thoughts?
Now that I think about it, Meat Boy would be pretty cool!

KMDP

Smash Legend
That's a gross exaggeration there. The problem is that Box Theory is used to shoot down speculation, not encourage it...
Yes, this is the problem I personally have with Box Theory.

It's not whether or not I believe in it, it's that it's killed basically all speculation except discussion of DLC, two and a half months before the game comes out.

LetterO

Smash Lord
View attachment 165637
Meat Boy would be pretty cool, not gonna lie. sans too since he’s confirmed by the color theory

EDIT: :ultgreninja:’d in saying Meat Boy would be cool. Resetti seems like a great edition too, and I can see a moveset working for them.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero

Heard a rumor that wasn't about a HoosHag so I acted on it, enjoy!

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

I think it has to do with how it basically is all we talk about at this point as opposed to "eh screw theories thinking is lame." People are just sick of seeing it. Can't speak for those who make arguments against the theories though.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Here's a discussion topic. Of the changes to characters, gameplay, visuals and such what is it that you have found the most exciting and interesting?

Personally I'm liking the huge decrease in down time when being launched. Snapping to where you're launched to and being able tot get back into the fight is really cool and will put more pressure on both the person following up the attack and the person who was launched to react in time.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Here's a discussion topic. Of the changes to characters, gameplay, visuals and such what is it that you have found the most exciting and interesting?

Personally I'm liking the huge decrease in down time when being launched. Snapping to where you're launched to and being able tot get back into the fight is really cool and will put more pressure on both the person following up the attack and the person who was launched to react in time.
Every change I can gleam from my boi

Obvious answer from me, but whatever :yoshi:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Every change I can gleam from my boi

Obvious answer from me, but whatever :yoshi:
No that's cool. He's had some pretty interesting changes to his kit. The egg bounce is neat and will give Yoshi another cool ground option that might trip players up.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Phase 1: Talk about Theories
Phase 2: Argue about Theories
Phase 3: Say "Theories are tearing us apart!" and watch the likes reel in

Rinse and repeat and you got a daily dose of Smash Ultimate General.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They are like conspiracy theories. They all tie together.

And the more threads you create the more things get tangled up

And eventually we'll come around and think that Smash is actually Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale starring Dante from Devil May Cry

Last edited:

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
So *IF box theory is true (I'm 70/40) and *IF the game lets us sort by series...

Here it is! Our potential base game roster sorted by series. Thoughts? Sorting was hard, but I think I did alright.

edit: NOBODY pointed out I put 70/40. Yikes I'm dumb

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think it has to do with how it basically is all we talk about at this point as opposed to "eh screw theories thinking is lame." People are just sick of seeing it. Can't speak for those who make arguments against the theories though.
I know I'm sick of seeing it.

As I said before, mostly because now it feels like we can't talk about getting newcomers who aren't Ken, Incineroar or "nebulous SE rep".

Not that it matters, most of the talking points have been discussed to death anyway.
---
And eventually we'll come around and think that Smash is actually Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale starring Dante from Devil May Cry
You mean it isn't!?
---
Oh, yeah. Warchamp7 Warchamp7 (or any Mod/Admin who'd know), when's the ETA on getting Isabelle's icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom