• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros Splash Cards + Tutorial!

Sages

Smash Cadet
I meant to post this, I had forgotten that the actual font was identified from the reveal trailers.

http://smashboards.com/threads/font-help-ssb4-reveal-text.349067/#post-16855456
http://smashboards.com/threads/new-ssb4wiiu-font-identified.348770/

This thread talks about it,

Apparently this is the font used in those trailers. Link
It's called DynaFont詳細 (DFP Very Thick Gothic) , it's filename is " DFHeiE.ttc "

It's a Japanese Font. If you google the filename "DFHeiE.ttc" you can find a download. I'm at work right now so I can't find a download that isn't a torrent, but when I get home I'll see if I can rehost on mediafire or something else.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
I meant to post this, I had forgotten that the actual font was identified from the reveal trailers.

http://smashboards.com/threads/font-help-ssb4-reveal-text.349067/#post-16855456
http://smashboards.com/threads/new-ssb4wiiu-font-identified.348770/

This thread talks about it,

Apparently this is the font used in those trailers. Link
It's called DynaFont詳細 (DFP Very Thick Gothic) , it's filename is " DFHeiE.ttc "

It's a Japanese Font. If you google the filename "DFHeiE.ttc" you can find a download. I'm at work right now so I can't find a download that isn't a torrent, but when I get home I'll see if I can rehost on mediafire or something else.
Please do!!:4pacman:

Aegis.

Smash Rookie
http://www.filedropper.com/dynafont

Once you install the font, look for these fonts in your font drop down lists:
  • DFGGothic-SU
  • DFGothic-SU
  • DFPGothic-SU
The underlined one seems the match the best.
I actually figured out a time ago that it was Dynafont, still: Thanks a bunch! I'm not gonna use it however, seeing as it's a paid font and I feel bad using a torrent to download it, someone put work in that font after all. I'm sure that some other people will find it useful tho.

I'll be posting something else later which might be useful to all of you :)

Aegis.

Smash Rookie
Well, since a lot of people are asking me to make a Splash Card for a specific character. I figured that since I am really busy in real life right now with school and other stuff, it would take me some time to make all of them. So, I made a (hopefully) useful tutorial showing how to make the custom Splash Cards. The tutorial is quite lengthy and I apologise for that, but I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

If you have any questions or comments, please let me know. I'll try to respond to them as soon as possible. Also, I will still do the requests I've been given if the people want that, but please note that it will take some time before I finished it as I'm really busy right now.

Hope this tutorial will be useful to all of you!

Cheers.

Last edited:

Sages

Smash Cadet
Well, since a lot of people are asking me to make a Splash Card for a specific character. I figured that since I am really busy in real life right now with school and other stuff, it would take me some time to make all of them. So, I made a (hopefully) useful tutorial showing how to make the custom Splash Cards. The tutorial is quite lengthy and I apologise for that, but I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

If you have any questions or comments, please let me know. I'll try to respond to them as soon as possible. Also, I will still do the requests I've been given if the people want that, but please note that it will take some time before I finished it as I'm really busy right now.

Cheers.
Any chance you'll upload a template PSD file?

Aegis.

Smash Rookie
Any chance you'll upload a template PSD file?
I was thinking of doing that, but decided not to, reasons being that I want people to do it by themselves instead of using a given template, you barely learn from that after all. Another reason, which is my main reason is that if you would change 'Shadow' with say 'Phoenix Wright', the text wouldn't look good as it is only made for a 6 letter word, same goes with the catchphrase. That's why I showed how to modify it with the Distort tool so that whatever name you choose, it will look good. If you would change the name on the template, it won't be very good seeing as the template isn't build for names shorter or longer than 6 letters, same goes for the catchphrase which isn't build for a sentence longer than 15 characters.

Sages

Smash Cadet
I was thinking of doing that, but decided not to, reasons being that I want people to do it by themselves instead of using a given template, you barely learn from that after all. Another reason, which is my main reason is that if you would change 'Shadow' with say 'Phoenix Wright', the text wouldn't look good as it is only made for a 6 letter word, same goes with the catchphrase. That's why I showed how to modify it with the Distort tool so that whatever name you choose, it will look good. If you would change the name on the template, it won't be very good seeing as the template isn't build for names shorter or longer than 6 letters, same goes for the catchphrase which isn't build for a sentence longer than 15 characters.
Okay, I'll have to see what I can do. I don't own photoshop, so my best attempts would be on Gimp2. I'm not very good with image editting either. We're you still going to do requests?

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26

bootiful, except falco is a bit jagged, i did make it an smart object tho

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26

Cheers.
include this vid on the first thread on this post :D it can help a lot of people who aren't great with photoshop

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Ugh, I can't make them as good as this. I feel useless now.

Aegis.

Smash Rookie
Okay, I'll have to see what I can do. I don't own photoshop, so my best attempts would be on Gimp2. I'm not very good with image editting either. We're you still going to do requests?
Don't worry, I will still do the request. You can also download a 30 day trial of Adobe Creative Cloud by using this link, it will redirect you to the Adobe Creative Cloud site and by clicking you help me :) If you don't trust my link then you can go to the official Adobe site as well for a 30 day trial.

@ LiamMail LiamMail
That one looks really good! The reason 'Falco' looks a bit jagged is probably because the inner shadow is on the left part of the text, it should be on the right side so that it matches the position of the text. Still, great job! I really like it. Just keep this up and you'll be making great Splash Cards in no time!

@ Desert Croc Desert Croc
Don't feel down! Practise makes perfect! It took me a while to figure out everything too, so if you really want to make cool Splash Cards just keep tying and it'll work out somehow!

Sages

Smash Cadet

bootiful, except falco is a bit jagged, i did make it an smart object tho
These look pretty good for a first attempt. Since the renders for the unlockable characters are smaller, you should probably stick to making a small splash card. Like not increase the size of the render which is 512px. When the official renders come out you can make larger splash cards, people could use them as personal banners.

I would tone down the brightness of the glare (light source), and stick with a solid color background. To make them more official looking.

Last edited:

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
These look pretty good for a first attempt. Since the renders for the unlockable characters are smaller, you should probably stick to making a small splash card. Like not increase the size of the render which is 512px. When the official renders come out you can make larger splash cards, people could use them as personal banners.

I would tone down the brightness of the glare (light source), and stick with a solid color background. To make them more official looking.
it's actually the 5th attempt
in the previous ones i've always forgot the lens flares and drop shadow for the black ink splashes

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I can understand Japanese kanjis :D
Yeah kinda had a feeling they were going to rip something out of the Megaman trailer (that's where "Joins the Battle" comes from).

Anyways Liam are you busy by any chance?

Last edited:

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
Yeah kinda had a feeling they were going to rip something out of the Megaman trailer (that's where "Joins the Battle" comes from).

Anyways Liam are you busy by any chance?
I'm from hong kong but i am a high school student in Australia, that means i have barely any work lol i wish i could be a little bit more busy

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I'm from hong kong but i am a high school student in Australia, that means i have barely any work lol i wish i could be a little bit more busy
I see, anyways I was wondering if you can touch up my unlock screen that I tried doing earlier on paint (to make it a little more official looking).

Here's the pic: 9efVUtp (beta 2).png

Sages

Smash Cadet
LAST UPDATED: NOVEMBER 5th 2014
Additions:
  • Nov. 5th
    • Duck Hunt & Jigglypuff colors added.
  • Oct. 23rd
    • Bowser Jr. & Mr. Game and Watch colors added.
  • Oct. 15th
    • Ganondorf & R.O.B. Colors added.
  • Oct. 9th
    • Dr. Mario & Dark Pit Colors added.
  • Oct. 5th
    • Ness, Falco, Wario Official Colors added (check bullet list or pastebin link)
    • Links to Download DynaFont, and Sumi Brush Strokes added.
    • Imgur album of 1500px renders of every character + alternate costume.
A request for the missing title/splash/intro cards for Smash Bros. 4

What do you mean by "title/splash/intro" cards?

A: This imgur album of officially featured splash cards contains all the characters released so far. These were captured from YouTube videos playing at 1080p. Various characters during Nintendo's direct and newcomer videos received these, however some characters have yet to receive one. The album also contains fan-created ones that are high quality.
Which characters do not currently have a Splash card?
  • The following characters received an intro card, but it was done in an alternative art style.
  • HEX color codes listed taken from the official source. (Smashbros Website)
  • Check out this PasteBin link for a full list of every official character color.
Character Name --- Background Color
  • Charizard ------ #F26B0F
  • Greninja -------- #4875AA
  • Lucina ----------- #74a7ca
  • Robin (Male) -- #ce82de
  • PAC-MAN ----- #F9B038
  • Palutena -------- #74E8BF
  • Shulk ------------ #e55b79
The following characters have yet to receive one at all.
  • Meta Knight --------------------------- #2d3d7a
  • Captain Falcon ----------------------- #9088e2
  • Ike ----------------------------------------- #c44737
  • Robin (Female) ------------------------ #ce82de
  • Robin (Male & Female Duo) ---- #ce82de
  • Mii Fighters --------------------------- #5CC1E6
  • Ness ------------------------------------ #f02d33
  • Falco ----------------------------------- #52b2e4
  • Wario ---------------------------------- #fecb4c
  • Dark Pit -------------------------------- #af6ceb
  • Dr. Mario ------------------------------ #f96269
  • R.O.B. --------------------------------- #b2b9bf
  • Ganondorf --------------------------- #7e7999
  • Bowser Jr. -------------------------- #cfce37
  • Mr. Game & Watch -------------- #a6a390
  • Duck Hunt -------------------------- #945b33
  • Jigglypuff ----------------------------- #f283ec
Download Links?
  • 5125px Renders of Starting Roster: This thread on SmashBoards contains a download for renders of the characters at 5125 pixels. (This does not feature the secret characters).
  • This imgur album, contains 1500px jpgs of all characters and their alternate colors including the secret characters.
  • Official Font: Is called DynaFont詳細 (DFP Very Thick Gothic) , it's filename is " DFHeiE.ttc" - Download Link - When selecting the font in photoshop, select DFPGothic-SU .
  • Brush Strokes used in the Backgrounds: "Sumi Strokes" - Download Link

What else can you tell me about the official title cards, for consistency?
  • Tutorial Video by Aegis - Post Link - YouTube Link
  • Use the official colors listed above as the base background color.
  • A light source is present in the corner of the images, it varies by character. It creates a shadow of the character and the black stroke, and also a sheen on the text.
  • The series logo for a character is also present in the background, it is typically a darker color of the official color used. It's below the shadows and the black stroke.
  • In order of layers going from top to bottom: Light Source & Sheen, Text, Character Render, Black Stroke, Shadows, Series Symbol, Background color.
  • Regarding text, character names separated by a space always are capitalized in the first letter. Meta Knight, Mega Man.
  • Also, the introductory quip words are also capitalized on the first letter, except for words like: to, the, for, into.
  • Things like: His, Her, In. Are capitalized on the first letter.
  • Note: Mega Man is two words. PAC-MAN is all capital letters.

Last edited:

Sages

Smash Cadet

Above is my work in progress, I haven't yet worked out the text transformation and lighting effects, nor did I apply any complex background coloring. All background has is a inner shadow. My problem at the moment is the transformation, I'm trying to nail the orientation for the text appearing on the right side.

Also the post above this one, was updated to be more accessible. The 1500px renders seem to have some rough edges in terms of transparency. Hopefully we'll get a press kit with all the secret characters.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
@ Sages Sages I've noticed that the texts actually have a very bold drop shadow, I'll provide an example soon since I'm not using my main laptop

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Looks like Smashwiki just got the 3DS version of the Challenger Approaching screen (hopefully the Wii U version doesn't end up with the same screen):

Anyone got a hi-res version of this screen without the character shadow (or would it need to be completely remade from scratch)?

EDIT: Found the Wii U version, seems Smashwiki leaked it early:

Last edited:

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
@ Sages Sages I've noticed that the texts actually have a very bold drop shadow, I'll provide an example soon since I'm not using my main laptop
Here's what the text should look like without the sumi strokes:

Sages

Smash Cadet
Here's what the text should look like without the sumi strokes:
Can you list your layer styles?

Here are mine for Shulk's name:

• Stroke
    • Size 6px
    • Position: Outside, Blend Mode: Normal, Opacity 100%
    • Color: Black #000000
  • Inner Shadow
    • Blend Mode: Normal, Opacity: 100%
    • Angle: -36 (Uncheck Use Global Light)
    • Distance 6px, Choke/Size: 0px
  • Gradient Overlay
    • Style: Linear, Align With Layer checked.
    • Angle 90, Scale 100%
This is where I got lost when following Aegis' tutorial, in the Gradient Overlay colors.
You see how the gradient bar is nearly white. Could you list me each of the four point's colors. I trying to get the nice grey nintendo uses in their splash card. Liam your Pac-Man card has the proper gradient, or Aegis. Either one of your inputs would be great.

In your video description, you link to the Sumi Stroke Brushes 625px/1250px. But in your tutorial video your using Sumi Stroke Brushes 2500px. Do you have a download link for that?

Last edited:

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
Can you list your layer styles?

Here are mine for Shulk's name:

• Stroke
    • Size 6px
    • Position: Outside, Blend Mode: Normal, Opacity 100%
    • Color: Black #000000
  • Inner Shadow
    • Angle: -36 (Uncheck Use Global Light)
    • Distance 6px, Choke/Size: 0px
  • Gradient Overlay
    • Style: Linear, Align With Layer checked.
    • Angle 90, Scale 100%
This is where I got lost when following Aegis' tutorial, in the Gradient Overlay colors.
You see how the gradient bar is nearly white. Could you list me each of the four point's colors. I trying to get the nice grey nintendo uses in their splash card. Liam your Pac-Man card has the proper gradient, or Aegis. Either one of your inputs would be great.

In your video description, you link to the Sumi Stroke Brushes 625px/1250px. But in your tutorial video your using Sumi Stroke Brushes 2500px. Do you have a download link for that?
*Note that the bold drop shadow should follow the position of the white inner shadow, and I use a Gradient Overlay with 2 colors one with slightly dark shade and one with slightly lighter shade

Aegis.

Smash Rookie
Ah, it feels good to have some time to make these again. I see a lot of you guys already make great Splash Cards! Keep it up! Anyway, @ Sages Sages , Here is the FX to my custom made style for the text to download. You can download it & Install it in Photoshop and it should pop-up in your styles menu. Also, here is a newer version of the Sumi Stroke Brushes including 2500px brushes.

Also, I've got around to making Lizardon his splash card, I haven't done one of these in a while, so it may not be the greatest. I'll let you guys decide that. You can find the link to the Lizardon Splash Card here.

Keep up the Splash Cards guys, they look really good! @ LiamMail LiamMail , I'd recommend not putting a bright red color on the background, it kinda distracts me from the actual character and other things.

Oh, and I see some of you are using Drop Shadow. Please note that I don't use Drop Shadow, yes it's an alternative, but I don't use it. I just copy the text layer and put it below the original text layer and move it downwards / sideways a bit. This way it allows me to customise more.

Last edited:

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
Charizard's shadow should be on the other way
ZOMG U BROKE PHYSICZ

Sages

Smash Cadet
Update #2:

I played with a lot of effects:

I did a guassian vlur 4.0 overlay @ around 40-60% opacity on top of Shulk, I think he looks a bit better that way. I manually edited the font so that 'ul' would be smaller, and stretched the height of the individual letters by 20%.

Concerns looking for criticism:
  • The size of the series symbol in my image, I feel it should be larger.
  • Inner shadow on the background, I think it looks better than the official way, but I'm not sure.
  • Haven't figured out how to make the sunny glare. (you sped up that part of the video.)
  • The strokes I feel might not be dark enough, like they should be pure black, idk.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26

The best one i've done so far
add this to the album

Sages

Smash Cadet
Here's my rendition of PAC-MAN.

I used the official CSS color of PAC-MAN. Instead of the blue from the announcement. @ LiamMail LiamMail Do you plan on making 1920x1080 versions? It seems there was some quality loss on the Greninja render you have.

Top Bottom