• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why not Snorlax, Blastoise, Raichu and Gengar? I think those are easily more iconic / popular. Plus Snorlax could be a heavy weight Jigglypuff semi-clone, and Raichu be build up from Pikachu's moveset, same with Blastoise and Squirtle.
I think Raichu and Gengar are overdue additions, honestly.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I think it's gonna be someone from Gen 8 because it'd likely be out by the time Smash 5 rolls around. If we do get a Gen 7 Pokemon, I think Mimikyu is the most likely (as much as I'd hate its addition).
Shame since Decidueye would be a thousand times better.
I seriously thought of a tear drinking meme after I read this. Gen 8 is making me feel anxious for Mimikyu but not like this. Go play Pokken Tournament DX.
I want Decidueye as a smash fighter. One it would be unique, having a nice creative move-set potential. It will be like an archer as I said. Also, it's shiny form is amazing. That should be an alt, much like Greninja's shiny being an alt.

I mean, look at that. That skin is amazing. ( If you are wondering why there is so much space, there is a lot of clear image space in the photo ).
I'm also curious of what this dude can do after watching Link shoot arrows for decades. Plus, I feel like Zelda's final smash being archer base, takes a lot away from him.
Why not Snorlax, Blastoise, Raichu and Gengar? I think those are easily more iconic / popular. Plus Snorlax could be a heavy weight Jigglypuff semi-clone, and Raichu be build up from Pikachu's moveset, same with Blastoise and Squirtle.
Honestly, I consider Snorlax a cool Pokémon. It doesn't give a ish and sleep all day because its depressed and suicidal like how Biggie was. I'd main it.

D

Deleted member

Yup, it's true. I and definitely going in order for these a la Melee's Adventure Mode. Now you know the secret.

For a TL;RD, Peppy owned the last Star Fox poll with Andross coming very close. Panther and Scales were sitting ducks.

And now for the hard part, Pokemon. Especially with the massive number of them to use. Unlike the last time, I will only go by Pokemon that are popular, feasible as a fighter, or would bring something new to the table. Expect this for all 7 generations. For our first one we have Meowth, Sandslash, Machoke (Champ will get his chance next time), and Alakazam.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Phew, this night will be pretty busy for me. So toodles.
Do Meowth and Sandlash include their Alolan variants, or specifically their original versions?

D

Deleted member

I think we found our next potential Kirby fighter.
Call this a bad idea, but the move-set is easily quite presentable and it is a good source. Plus, she does look unique and fitting like any other Kirby character. If she is a major role ( probably ), she will be more likely. If she was an ice sword fighter, that would be really fun to play as. We never had an ice sword fighter in that matter.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Call this a bad idea, but the move-set is easily quite presentable and it is a good source. Plus, she does look unique and fitting like any other Kirby character. If she is a major role ( probably ), she will be more likely. If she was an ice sword fighter, that would be really fun to play as. We never had an ice sword fighter in that matter.
It's a double-edged sword. Smash 4 had a tendency of bringing mostly recent stuff to the game, but at the same time lacked recent kirby series stuff.

If she has a major role, becomes popular and the next director is not Sakurai then i think it's very possible.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I seriously thought of a tear drinking meme after I read this. Gen 8 is making me feel anxious for Mimikyu but not like this. Go play Pokken Tournament DX.

I'm also curious of what this dude can do after watching Link shoot arrows for decades. Plus, I feel like Zelda's final smash being archer base, takes a lot away from him.

Honestly, I consider Snorlax a cool Pokémon. It doesn't give a ish and sleep all day because its depressed and suicidal like how Biggie was. I'd main it.
Having a single move using a bow doesn't invalidate someone from having a moveset based around archery techniques.

Kirby's Hammer move didn't take away King Dedede's niche, did it? And Mario punching for his jab didn't rule out Little Mac.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Having a single move using a bow doesn't invalidate someone from having a moveset based around archery techniques.

Kirby's Hammer move didn't take away King Dedede's niche, did it? And Mario punching for his jab didn't rule out Little Mac.
Villager using Punching Gloves didn't rule out Little Mac either. Honestly, there's a huge difference between a single move and a moveset based upon a weapon. Which in this case, is exactly the point with the Little Mac - Villager comparison. Also, Ice Climbers didn't matter with King Dedede also being a Hammer user either, so... redundancy isn't an issue either~(not that either were redundant, but using the same weapon for a move or moveset doesn't make a difference anyway).

And if I'm not clear enough, I'm agreeing with you entirely~

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
She's just one of three generals though.

Besides, Kirby has better choices still waiting.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Always a little baffling how people bring up one-off Kirby characters like they have a chance...

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I like Blastoise but I'd be wary of using the word "iconic". Popularity is a good enough metric.

If you use the word iconic then it's going to be the Bayonetta argument all over again where you get a bunch of jokers who think "I don't like this character" is a valid argument for why they're not iconic.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Always a little baffling how people bring up one-off Kirby characters like they have a chance...
Not saying they have a chance, just mentioning that it could be an idea.
I like Blastoise but I'd be wary of using the word "iconic". Popularity is a good enough metric.

If you use the word iconic then it's going to be the Bayonetta argument all over again where you get a bunch of jokers who think "I don't like this character" is a valid argument for why they're not iconic.
Popularity and iconic are almost the same thing. Almost. If you are really popular, than you are iconic! Blastoice can be viewed as iconic, it was one of the original three starters and was quite popular at the time, even being competent with Charizard at times. Blastoice could be something in Smash for Switch, but I would prefer Blastoice as a Pokeball Pokemon. Blastoice as a Pokeball Pokemon seems like the more likely cause than it being a fighter in Smash for Switch. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I'm still hopeful for Mimikyu. It's cute, it's popular, it's one of the most pushed Gen 7 Pokemon, has great moveset potential, and works great as Pikachu's rival.
I don't think they'll pass up the chance at Mimikyu or at least I hope not. Not many pushed Pokemon come along that aren't Gen 1 that have such a chance at longevity in popularity but Mimikyu seems to have carved a niche for itself.
She's glorious. She seems like she'd be rather popular as a character from design alone. With inspiration from Kirby's Ice and Water abilities she could have a nice fleshed out moveset along with the ice axe and soda gun. It's a shame the chances of getting a one-off Kirby character like this is so low though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I want Decidueye as a smash fighter.
I see you're a man of culture as well.

"Not like this?" Not like what? When did I say anything extreme other then that I would hate it if Mimikyu is there?
Dude, I've seen the hate boner you have for Decidueye and your strawman arguements against him. Don't act like you're any better than me. At least I don't lash out at Mimikyu supporters.

Ah yes, how could I forget that Link's moveset is made entirely out of his neutral B and that Zelda's is made out of her Final Smash? :rolleyes:

Popularity and iconic are almost the same thing.
No they're not.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
If there were to be a new ice-themed character besides the Ice Climbers, it should be Jack Frost.

D

Deleted member

Personally, I am hoping for a Rex, Pyra and Mythra trio the most. Including Mythra is always a good idea in Smash for Switch. I heard someone once say that Rex, Pyra and Mythra are not good options and would be "dull sword fighters", but I kind of disagree with the trio being dull. Inkling is the most likely character to get in Smash for Switch at this point.
No they're not.
In a way it is true. Iconic means an "icon". A gaming icon is usually very popular, like the Mario mushroom. Iconic can be something bad as well which makes you right, but still.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If there were to be a new ice-themed character besides the Ice Climbers, it should be Jack Frost.
From SMT? Yeah, I could see that. Don't seem likely though. I don't even think he's Atlus's most likely character.

D

Deleted member

What y'all got against Mimikyu?
I think you mean to ask me because I haven't seen anyone else say anything bad about Mimikyu but whatever.
Aside from not being Decidueye (my #1 most wanted character right now), I just don't like it. It's been that way since day 1.
Not sorry.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I think you mean to ask me because I haven't seen anyone else say anything bad about Mimikyu but whatever.
Aside from not being Decidueye (my #1 most wanted character right now), I just don't like it. It's been that way since day 1.
Not sorry.
Yeah I edited the post a few minutes later cause I noticed you were the only one who actually mentioned it.
I still think if any Gen 7 Pokemon are there it'll be Mimikyu, but I'd be lying if I said Decidueye didn't have intriguing moveset potential. I can see Spirit Shackle as a simple arrow being shot diagonally downwards, but if it hits the ground it sticks there and becomes a stun trap, Brave Bird as a recovery/swooping killmove, and Ominous Wind as a no-knockback type attack that pushes opponents away.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Considering the popularity of Persona 4, I'd say a character from there. Not too in tune with Persona but I do know that there was that crossover game Persona Q on 3DS that had Protagonists from 3 and 4. That's just my two cents.

D

Deleted member

I still think if any Gen 7 Pokemon are there it'll be Mimikyu
As much as I wouldn't like it, I agree that it is indeed the most likely Gen 7 mon. The Z move cemented that IMO.
At least its inclusion would add a ghost type (my favorite type, and I really want a character with spooky aesthetics), so I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing ever.
I'd be lying if I said Decidueye didn't have intriguing moveset potential. I can see Spirit Shackle as a simple arrow being shot diagonally downwards, but if it hits the ground it sticks there and becomes a stun trap, Brave Bird as a recovery/swooping killmove, and Ominous Wind as a no-knockback type attack that pushes opponents away.
Now that I think of it, Decidueye's moveset could potentially make a heavy use of windboxes when it uses the few direct attacks it has. It would make sense due to being a bird and ominous wind being a move.
----
In regards to Francisca, I'm still not the biggest fan of her design, but she does look like she could be a pretty unique fighter.
I think it'd be hillarious if both she and Bandana Dee would be added at the same time and then Kirby would complete the weapon triangle before Fire Emblem.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Do Meowth and Sandlash include their Alolan variants, or specifically their original versions?
It can be any Meowth or Sandslash really.

Ideally, they can be their Gen 1 selves and gave the Alola forms as alts.

D

Deleted member

It can be any Meowth or Sandslash really.

Ideally, they can be their Gen 1 selves and gave the Alola forms as alts.
While that could work for Meowth, it wouldn't work for Sandslash.

Alolan "Sand"slash is way too different to be an alt.

Interesting and unique fighting style, sure....

....but the same could be said for a number of the other recent one or two note villains of the franchise such as Magolor, Sectonia, and Suzie.

EDIT:
As for this recent talk....
rabid.png

Whether owl or bedsheet Fakechu, I'll take all of you on. :p

D

Deleted member

EDIT:
As for this recent talk....

Whether owl or bedsheet Fakechu, I'll take all of you on. :p
Hey, I'd take it over Mimikyu.
At least I actually like Incineroar. Not as much as the other 2 starters, but I do nonetheless.
Plus a wrestler would be pretty cool.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Actually, I definitely have those in mind for the next one.

They are definitely pretty popular Gen 1 Pokemon in their own right. Blastoise at least was considered before Sakurai went fro the whole one low stage (Squirtle), middle stage (Ivysaur), and one third stage (Charizard) approach with Pokemon Trainer.

Gengar is the de-facto Ghost Type, there's lots you can do with it if Pokken is anything to go by. Shadow crawling, poison, possession, pranks, and more.

And Raichu is perfect. if only to settle if it or Pichu is the better choice. Or we can get the Alola variant for more fun. :troll:

D

Deleted member

Actually, I definitely have those in mind for the next one.

They are definitely pretty popular Gen 1 Pokemon in their own right. Blastoise at least was considered before Sakurai went fro the whole one low stage (Squirtle), middle stage (Ivysaur), and one third stage (Charizard) approach with Pokemon Trainer.

Gengar is the de-facto Ghost Type, there's lots you can do with it if Pokken is anything to go by. Shadow crawling, poison, possession, pranks, and more.

And Raichu is perfect. if only to settle if it or Pichu is the better choice. Or we can get the Alola variant for more fun. :troll:
Please tell me you're not gonna neglect Venusaur.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Interesting and unique fighting style, sure....

....but the same could be said for a number of the other recent one or two note villains of the franchise such as Magolor, Sectonia, and Suzie.
Kirby has really gotta stop with these one-and-done bosses with banging designs and moveset potential.

Either give us a Kirby fighting game with all them in there Smash Bros style or start lending these character designers out to other series.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Kirby has really gotta stop with these one-and-done bosses with banging designs and moveset potential.

Either give us a Kirby fighting game with all them in there Smash Bros style or start lending these character designers out to other series.
Kirby is actually pretty good at remembering it's characters.

Magolor, Daroach, Sectonia, Susie, Landia and more have each reappeared since their debut. Most Triple Deluxe bosses appear in some shape or form in Planet Robobot, Galacta Knight shows up often, we recently saw Dark Matter return and they've been posting artworks on twitter featuring characters all throughout its history. Kirby loves it's fan service.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Kirby's had one re-occouring final foe in the form of Dark Matter and Zero but they weren't in the games directly made by Sakurai so they're on Broly levels of canon.

D

Deleted member

Kirby's had one re-occouring final foe in the form of Dark Matter and Zero but they weren't in the games directly made by Sakurai so they're on Broly levels of canon.
I'm trying to figure out whether or not you're being sarcastic.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
How dare you. Also, Dark Matter's made more cameos than you'd think. He was the final boss in one of Mass Attack's mini games and I think everyone knows about Planet Robobot
What the next game is going to need more than anything else...

Is some devs who are actually competent for a change.
At least your username is accurate

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Could be worse. At least we're not getting one-and-done bosses with crummy designs and no moveset potential.

As cool as Francisca looks (no pun intended), she's only one of the three generals in the game. Even if she were considered as a newcomer for Smash, her other two sisters would fight her for that spot.

We've gotten so many new antagonists from the Kirby series in the past ten years that adding just one of them in Smash would seem weird. Unless the character gets reused to the same extent as Dedede or Meta Knight, he'd/she'd be extremely outdated by the time the next Smash game rolled around, as a whole list of new Kirby villains will have spawned since their debut.

Bandana Dee is really the only other character we have that wouldn't be left in the dust as future Kirby games are released; and even then, I'm worried that Sakurai (or whoever the heck develops this next Smash game) will consider Bandana Dee too generic of a character to be in Smash.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Kirby is actually pretty good at remembering it's characters.

Magolor, Daroach, Sectonia, Susie, Landia and more have each reappeared since their debut. Most Triple Deluxe bosses appear in some shape or form in Planet Robobot, Galacta Knight shows up often, we recently saw Dark Matter return and they've been posting artworks on twitter featuring characters all throughout its history. Kirby loves it's fan service.
Good point. I do enjoy seeing bosses reappear between the games, especially if they've been updated with new abilities to make the fights fresh, but some of them really make me want them to be playable too.
Could be worse. At least we're not getting one-and-done bosses with crummy designs and no moveset potential.

As cool as Francisca looks (no pun intended), she's only one of the three generals in the game. Even if she were considered as a newcomer for Smash, her other two sisters would fight her for that spot.

We've gotten so many new antagonists from the Kirby series in the past ten years that adding just one of them in Smash would seem weird. Unless the character gets reused to the same extent as Dedede or Meta Knight, he'd/she'd be extremely outdated by the time the next Smash game rolled around, as a whole list of new Kirby villains will have spawned since their debut.

Bandana Dee is really the only other character we have that wouldn't be left in the dust as future Kirby games are released; and even then, I'm worried that Sakurai (or whoever the heck develops this next Smash game) will consider Bandana Dee too generic of a character to be in Smash.
Also good points.
Francisca does seem to be getting the highlight out of all the generals, with videos and her artwork popping up in many Star Allies screenshots on the twitter. Unfortunately I can't see her popping up in the same extent as Dedede or Metaknight, as her abilities don't line up well with any of Kirby's current abilities unless shes got a freeze breath thing we haven't seen. She's still got cool moves though.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Considering the popularity of Persona 4, I'd say a character from there. Not too in tune with Persona but I do know that there was that crossover game Persona Q on 3DS that had Protagonists from 3 and 4. That's just my two cents.
I feel that they'd probably opt for Joker from Persona 5 seeing as he'll be in Persona Q2 on the 3ds and P5 is the game they're currently making a bunch of spin-offs for (plus Perona 3 dancing for whatever reason).
Though Yu would probably get in by being the Cloud of the franchise.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
What kind of configurable options you would like to see added in smash 5?

Personally, I'd like to be able to disable stage hazards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom