• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
The beginning sounds like a Smash 4 reveal trailer, which I doubt they would do. They want to keep this as different as possible to avoid people thinking it is a port. Good effort into the music, but it seems fake.
I think the joke is going over your head a bit here.
Khonjin is a memer/comedian and the "audio" he's "leaking" is for a random Super Punch-Out opponent that -no duh- will never be in Smash for obvious reasons. That post nor the video was meant to be taken seriously.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
I think the joke is going over your head a bit here.
Khonjin is a memer/comedian and the "audio" he's "leaking" is for a random Super Punch-Out opponent that-no crap- will never be in Smash for obvious reasons. That post wasn't meant to be taken seriously.
Ah, didn't really pay much attention. Just shooting down any and all possible leaks.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Ah, didn't really pay much attention. Just shooting down any and all possible leaks.
Understandale, lol. I only know this because I follow Khonjin's stuff, I'd probably be pretty confused myself without context.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I want elma with a down b that changes her weapon from gun mode to sword mode, and that'd effect how her other moves work.

Or just make her an agile hybrid twin sword user with bullet art-esque moves strewn throughout.

Either way, she'll be super fun I think.
A down B that switches between modes would be interesting.

I always thought that feature (cycling through specials and smashes as a quasi-transformation mechanic) would work well with Paper Mario swapping out partners or K. Rool changing costumes.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So I wasted my time doing something that might be interesting. By going through the roster thread I created a roster based on the characters most predicted/requested.

Just some notes
- I didn't bother counting up veterans as most rosters did not have cuts, it seems the consensus is there will be none.
- Captain Toad and Toad were counted together. Overall definitely saw more Captain Toad though.
- Chorus Men just represents a Rhythm Heaven character. Counted separately none of the Rhythm Heaven characters were predicted/requested enough but together they were. I figured it was fair since no one is quite sure how the series would be represented, but on average people expect a Rhythm Heaven character.

Overall this roster is kind of....lack luster??? However it does have some of my most wanted including my number one so I wouldn't complain. Just doesn't look like what we will actually get lol.

So what do you guys think?

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
So I wasted my time doing something that might be interesting. By going through the roster thread I created a roster based on the characters most predicted/requested.

Just some notes
- I didn't bother counting up veterans as most rosters did not have cuts, it seems the consensus is there will be none.
- Captain Toad and Toad were counted together. Overall definitely saw more Captain Toad though.
- Chorus Men just represents a Rhythm Heaven character. Counted separately none of the Rhythm Heaven characters were predicted/requested enough but together they were. I figured it was fair since no one is quite sure how the series would be represented, but on average people expect a Rhythm Heaven character.

Overall this roster is kind of....lack luster??? However it does have some of my most wanted including my number one so I wouldn't complain. Just doesn't look like what we will actually get lol.

I would honestly be incredibly happy if this turns out to be the actual roster. No new zelda character is the only big thing missing here but it is really hard to predict who could come from that franchise that's not already included so that's understandable.

Edit: no real out of left field choice either. If you could add an out of left field zelda character, I'd say it's perfect.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Just some notes

A pretty solid, albeit safe roster. Not my ideal choices in some areas, but still good stuff.

Random note, what tool is everyone using to make these rosters? I know it exists, but either the one I found is outdated, or I'm just bad at looking/need to learn basic editing tools.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Another way to allow Elma to smash with her guns and smash with her swords is simply place one on a B move.

Smashes are swords. Holding B charges guns and inputting down, side, or up afterwards dictates the direction she fires.
This would allow her to have aerial smashes.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
A pretty solid, albeit safe roster. Not my ideal choices in some areas, but still good stuff.

Random note, what tool is everyone using to make these rosters? I know it exists, but either the one I found is outdated, or I'm just bad at looking/need to learn basic editing tools.
I believe I and most people use the one that's on the first post of the roster thread, the 9.1 edition. But I'm honestly unsure lol.

It's safe but also includes things like Ridley and two DK new comers, which both are little less likely in my opinion. Definitely a crowd pleasing roster though (for obvious reasons...)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

Just some notes

Extremely happy with this forum popular-pick roster. Solid with big hype characters like K. Rool, Ridley, Bomberman and other nice picks like Decidueye and Chorus Men and Dixie.

Good job. Worth the time, I'd say. We can now determine if collectively all of us got close to the actual roster once it's released.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I believe I and most people use the one that's on the first post of the roster thread, the 9.1 edition. But I'm honestly unsure lol.

It's safe but also includes things like Ridley and two DK new comers, which both are little less likely in my opinion. Definitely a crowd pleasing roster though (for obvious reasons...)
Ridley and K Rool's are the biggest question marks to me, I constantly go back on forth on whether they will happen and I honestly don't have any clue

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

Just some notes

It's not my "dream roster" per say, but I'd honestly be quite happy with this.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
There are probably going to be cuts. But not as much as 4. With no story mode probably and no 2nd version as well as this being more like a Splatoon type sequel. I think only 1 3rd party character is going to get the axe.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
People who think this game isn't gonna essentially a smash 4.5 are setting themselves up for disappointment
Brawl wasn't another version of Melee despite reusing its assets. Smash 4 wasn't another version of Brawl despite reusing its assets. There's no reason to assume Smash Switch will be any different.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
There are probably going to be cuts. But not as much as 4. With no story mode probably and no 2nd version as well as this being more like a Splatoon type sequel. I think only 1 3rd party character is going to get the axe.
which one? and why? Cloud and Ryu are so recent that I can't see them getting cut tbh, what's the point of adding them just cut them again a mere 2 years later

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Check out this thread:
https://smashboards.com/threads/the-super-smash-bros-roster-maker-version-10-0-available.336761/

----

Not sure how I feel about the gun/sword stance change with Elma. Obviously it depends on how it's implemented, but I always envisioned her as just using a 50/50 split of gun/sword moves. Maybe a couple moves or specials change to mirror the shift in auto attacks in X, but not much beyond that since you constantly shift around the equipped weapon just by using arts or hitting a toggle in X anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
They're guest characters which in Fighting games they're a one time only deal. Smash however is that rare exception in which they can appear again in the next installment.

However where's as Brawl only has 2 Guests with one of them being cut, but in 4 we have 6 Guests right now to renegotiate the rights to use again.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Brawl wasn't another version of Melee despite reusing its assets. Smash 4 wasn't another version of Brawl despite reusing its assets. There's no reason to assume Smash Switch will be any different.
There was a significant time gap between those games releasing, 7 years between melee and brawl and 6 years between brawl and smash 4, and the hardware jump between the consoles was also bigger which meant updating graphics and animations and models etc. There's only gonna be a 4 year difference with this game, 2 if you count the continued support of sm4sh after launch, and the Wii U and the Switch are already very comparable in power. I really don't expect much to change, I don't expect veterans to change very much, I don't expect them to redo a majority of the assets and models and animations, and I certainly don't expect cut characters.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Just some notes

To be honest I'd be pretty pleased with it; Two new Mario-verse characters, two DK newcomers, a Metroid, the token retro, a Kirby, a Pokemon, a Xenoblade, three previously unrepresented Nintendo franchises and a pair of new third parties. Definitely not awful but I can understand why you may see it as lackluster. Since it's what the majority want there's very few twists and turns.

...personally though I think I'd prefer this. A rhythm Heaven character is still enough of a twist, as is Ridley, Waluigi and Toad getting past their previously allocated positions to become fighters, and K. Rool getting remembered would please a lot of people.

No new Zelda character still sucks especially since Zelda was particularly active last generation with Breath of the Wild, HD releases of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, Triforce Heroes, Link Between Worlds and Hyrule Warriors making it onto three different consoles but trying to get everyone to agree on a singular character being even slightly likely is surprisingly hard.

I'm also pretty shocked Isaac wasn't amongst the most discussed. Has his fanbase died down?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'm also pretty shocked Isaac wasn't amongst the most discussed. Has his fanbase died down?
I don't have the numbers on it right this minute, but I only used characters that were picked by at least 50% of the posts, and I believe Issac was as far down as below 25%. Not a lot of him at all.

Also just to point out almost all the picks were way over 50%, Waluigi was the only one that was like just above.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don't have the numbers on it right this minute, but I only used characters that were picked by at least 50% of the posts, and I believe Issac was as far down as below 25%. Not a lot of him at all.
I'm genuinely shocked! I guess his fanbase has lost a fair bit of hope after Sm4sh even wiped away his Assist Trophy...

Who was the closest character to missing out on the 50% mark? I'm quite curious to see who narrowly avoided making it.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
which one? and why? Cloud and Ryu are so recent that I can't see them getting cut tbh, what's the point of adding them just cut them again a mere 2 years later

There was a significant time gap between those games releasing, 7 years between melee and brawl and 6 years between brawl and smash 4, and the hardware jump between the consoles was also bigger which meant updating graphics and animations and models etc. There's only gonna be a 4 year difference with this game, 2 if you count the continued support of sm4sh after launch, and the Wii U and the Switch are already very comparable in power. I really don't expect much to change, I don't expect veterans to change very much, I don't expect them to redo a majority of the assets and models and animations, and I certainly don't expect cut characters.
Just because the Switch is comparable in power doesn't mean changes won't be made to take advantage of the system's capabilities or adjust to changes between systems such as handheld mode and the cartridges. Tropical Freeze for instance, despite being a port, has its assets called differently so that disk storage would be optimized for the cartridge. Additionally, we already have one such example of a character getting changes to them with Link getting his BotW design, so there's definitely room to believe there will be more changes to characters vs. Smash's previous outing on the Wii U/3DS.

The thing is we don't know for certain how much Smash Switch is going to reuse previous assets, what it will change to accommodate for the Switch, and what it will build on top of the base from Smash 4. Theoretically there may be other mechanical issues that have to be addressed, there may be more updates to characters that we're not considering, and there may be modes like SSE that require a good amount of time and development being funneled into it. Assuming that this game won't change based on limited information is not something I'd suggest, it's best to be open to different possibilities here and then only narrow them as more details come out.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Edited:
75 Character Roster (Plus 3 Mii Fighters).
As Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch will likely reuse source material and assets that were already created for the Wii U installment, all the characters from the last game return here.
Super Smash Bros Roster Order3.png

Mario (Debut: 1981)
  • Donkey Kong (Arcade)
  • Super Mario Bros. (NES)
  • Super Mario 64 (N64)
Luigi (Debut: 1983)
  • Mario Bros. (Arcade)
  • Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Japan Only)
  • Luigi's Mansion (3DS)
Princess Peach (Debut: 1985)
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
  • Super Princess Peach (DS)
Bowser (Debut: 1985)
  • Mario Party (N64)
  • Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey (3DS)
Bowser Jr. (Debut: 2002)
  • Super Mario Sunshine (GCN)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)
  • Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (NS)
The Koopalings (Debut: 1988)
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
  • Super Mario World (SNES)
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
Rosalina & Luma (Debut: 2007)
  • Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
  • Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
  • Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
Yoshi (Debut: 1990)
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
  • Yoshi's Story (N64)
Dr. Mario (Debut: 1990)
  • Dr. Mario (NES)
  • Dr. Mario Online RX (Wii)
  • Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure (3DS)
Pauline (Debut: 1981)
  • Donkey Kong (Arcade)
  • Mario VS Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars (Wii U)
  • Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
Donkey Kong (Debut: 1981)
  • Donkey Kong (Arcade)
  • Mario Kart 64 (N64)
  • Donkey Kong Country: Returns (Wii)
Diddy Kong (Debut: 1994)
  • Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
  • Diddy Kong Racing (N64)
Cranky Kong (Debut: 1994)
  • Donkey Kong 64 (N64)
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (NS)
Wario (Debut: 1992)
  • Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB)
  • Wario Land 3 (GBC)
  • WarioWare Gold (3DS)
Link (Debut: 1986)
  • The Legend of Zelda (NES)
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild (NS)
Princess Zelda (Debut: 1986)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
Sheik (Debut: 1998)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
  • Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (NS)
Ganondorf (Debut: 1998)
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
Toon Link (Debut: 2002)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)
Toon Zelda (Debut: 2002)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords (GBA)
Tetra (Debut: 2002)
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U)
Impa (Debut: 1986)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
Samus Aran (Debut: 1986)
  • Metroid (NES)
  • Super Metroid (SNES)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (NS)
Ridley (Debut: 1986)
  • Metroid (NES)
  • Super Metroid (SNES)
  • Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
Zero Suit Samus (Debut: 2004)
  • Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA)
  • Metroid: Other M (Wii)
Captain Falcon (Debut: 1990)
  • F-Zero (SNES)
  • F-Zero X (N64)
  • F-Zero GX (GCN)
Ninten (Debut: 1989)
  • EarthBound Beginnings (Japan Only)
Ness (Debut: 1994)
  • EarthBound (SNES)
  • Super Smash Bros. (N64)
Lucas (Debut: 2006)
  • Mother 3 (Japan Only)
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
Kirby (Debut: 1992)
  • Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
  • Kirby Superstar (SNES)
  • Kirby Star Allies (NS)
King Dedede (Debut 1992)
  • Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (N64)
  • Kirby's Return to Dreamland (Wii)
Meta Knight (Debut: 1993)
  • Kirby's Adventure (NES)
  • Kirby Superstar (SNES)
  • Kirby Superstar Ultra (DS)
Fox McCloud (Debut: 1993)
  • Star Fox (SNES)
  • Star Fox 64 (N64)
  • Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
Falco Lombardi (Debut: 1993)
  • Star Fox 64 (N64)
  • Star Fox Command (DS)
  • Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
Pikachu (Debut: 1996)
  • Pokemon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition (GB)
  • Hey You, Pikachu! (N64)
  • Pokemon Let's Go, Pikachu! (NS)
Jigglypuff (Debut: 1996)
  • Pokemon Red/Pokemon Blue (GB)
  • Pokemon X/Pokemon Y (3DS)
  • Pokemon Sun/Pokemon Moon (3DS)
Charizard (Debut: 1996)
  • Pokemeon Fire Red/Pokemon Leaf Green (GBA)
Lucario (Debut: 2006)
  • Pokemon Diamond/Pokemon Pearl (DS)
  • Pokken Tournament DX (NS)
Greninja (Debut: 2013)
  • Pokemon Battle Trozei (3DS)
Mewtwo (Debut: 1996)
  • Pokemon Stadium (N64)
Mimikyu (Debut: 2016)
  • Pokemon Ultra Sun/Pokemon Ultra Moon (3DS)
Pichu (Debut: 1999)
  • Pokemon Gold/Pokemon Silver (GBC)
  • Pokemon Stadium 2 (N64)
Pit (Debut: 1986)
  • Kid Icarus (NES)
  • Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (GB)
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
Palutena (Debut: 1986)
  • Kid Icarus (NES)
Dark Pit (Debut: 2012)
Marth (Debut: 1990)
  • Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & The Blade of Light (Japan Only)
  • Fire Emblem: Mystery of The Emblem (Japan Only)
  • Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (DS)
Celica (Debut: 1992)
  • Fire Emblem Gaiden (Japan Only)
  • Fire Emblem Ehoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS)
  • Fire Emblem Warriors (NS)
Leif (Debut: 1996)
  • Fire Emblem: Genealogy of The Holy War (Japan Only)
  • Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Japan Only)
Roy (Debut: 2001)
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN)
  • Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade (Japan Only)
Ike (Debut: 2005)
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GCN)
  • Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii)
Robin (Debut: 2012)
  • Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS)
Corrin (Debut: 2015)
  • Fire Emblem Fates (3DS)
Lucina (Debut: 2012)
  • Project X Zone 2 (3DS)
Olimar (Debut: 2001)
  • Pikmin (GCN)
  • Pikmin 2 (GCN)
  • Hey! Pikmin (3DS)
Alph (Debut: 2013)
  • Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
Villager (Debut: 2001)
  • Dobutsu No Mori (Japan Only)
  • Animal Crossing: City Folk (Wii)
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)
Little Mac (Debut: 1984)
  • Punch-Out!! (Arcade)
  • Super Punch-Out!! (SNES)
  • Punch-Out!! (Wii)
Rex & Pyra (Debut: 2017)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (NS)
Shulk (Debut: 2010)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (3DS)
Inkling (Debut: 2015)
  • Splatoon (Wii U)
  • Splatoon 2 (NS)
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (NS)
Spring Man (Debut: 2017)
  • Arms (NS)
Ribbon Girl (Debut: 2017)
  • Arms (NS)
Rhythm Troupe (Debut: 2006)
  • Rhythm Tengoku (Japan Only)
  • Rhythm Heaven (DS)
  • Rhythm Heaven Megamix (3DS)
Excitebike (Debut: 1984)
  • Excitebike (NES)
  • Excitebike 64 (N64)
  • Excitebike: World Rally (Wii)
Lip (Debut: 1995)
  • Panel De Pon (Japan Only)
  • Panel De Pon DS (Japan Only)
Popo & Nana (Debut: 1985)
  • Ice Climber (NES)
Duck Hunt (Debut: 1984)
  • Duck Hunt (NES)
R.O.B. (Debut: 1985)
  • Gyromite (NES)
  • Stack-Up (NES)
  • Mario Kart DS (DS)
Mr. Game & Watch (Debut: 1980)
  • Ball (G&W)
  • Game & Watch Gallery (GB)
  • Game & Watch Collection (DS)
Sonic The Hedgehog (Debut: 1991)
  • Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut (GCN)
  • Sonic Mania (NS)
Mega Man (Debut: 1987)
  • Mega Man (NES)
  • Mega Man 2 (SNES)
  • Mega Man 11 (NS)
Bomberman (Debut: 1983)
  • Bomberman (NES)
  • Bomberman Hero (N64)
  • Super Bomberman R (NS)
Pac-Man (Debut: 1980)
  • Pac-Man (Arcade)
  • Pac-Man World (GBA)
  • Pac-Man Champion Edition 2 (NS)
Ms. Pac-Man (Debut: 1981)
  • Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade)
  • Pac-Land (Arcade)
  • Pac-Man World Rally (GCN)
Simon Belmont (Debut: 1986)
  • Castlevania (NES)
  • Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
  • Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Ryu (Debut: 1987)
  • Street Fighter (Arcade)
  • Super Street Fighter II (SNES)
  • Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection (NS)
Cloud Strife (Debut: 1997)
  • Final Fantasy VII
Bayonetta (Debut: 2009)
  • Bayonetta (NS)
  • Bayonetta 2 (NS)
  • Bayonetta 3 (NS)
Sheriff (Debut: 1979)
  • Sheriff (Arcade)

Unlockable Characters (12)
  • Dr. Mario
  • Pichu
  • Dark Pit
  • Lucina
  • Impa
  • Ribbon Girl
  • Lip
  • R.O.B.
  • Duck Hunt
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Sheriff
  • Mii Fighters
Costume Characters (20)
  • Bowser Jr./The Koopalings
  • Ness/Ninten
  • Popo/Nana
  • Marth/Leif
  • Olimar/Alphl
  • Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man
  • Bomberman/Bomberman Bros.

• Peach, Dr. Mario, and Paper Mario have their own unique victory themes
  • Link's design is updated. Hookshot is replaced with the Rune Magnet, Arrow is replaced with Ancient Arrow, Gale Boomerang is replaced with Boomerang, Bomb is replaced with Rune Bomb, and stage entrance is now Warp Travel.
  • Zelda's design is updated. Down Special allows her to channel her energy.
  • Sheik's design is updated.
  • Ganondorf's design is updated with Ancient Armor and many new abilities.
  • Samus's design is updated.
  • Kirby has some new specials and Final Smash is now Mike Kirby.
  • Fox, Falco, and Wolf's designs are updated. Final Smash is Arwing Walker. Hunter for Wolf.
  • Olimar no longer uses White Pikmin and Purple Pikmin, but instead Winged Pikmin and Rock Pikmin. His Up Special is now the jet pack from "Hey! Pikmin". The ship is from "Hey! Pikmin" as well. Alph now has voice clips.
  • Villager's design is updated.

Cranky Kong: Cranky Kong is kind of like the Palutena of the Donkey Kong series. With the exception of the Donkey Kong Land games on Gameboy, there exists no Donkey Kong Country game where Cranky Kong does not share a plentiful amount of screen time where he makes himself known. If there's a third most important/recurring Kong, it's Cranky. I also believe he is the most unique one with his scientific knowledge, potions, and cane.

Pauline: Pauline is one of the original cast members of Donkey Kong and she's become very popular in recent years, especially with Super Mario Odyssey. She's probably not all that likely because Super Mario Odyssey was late 2017, but I kept her because she has her other merits. Her unique ability is her parasol and her love of music.

Toon Zelda & Tetra: I believe these two are the most popular Zelda characters and they are definitely the most important given their recurrence in major roles in Zelda games. Especially recent ones like Wind Waker HD and Hyrule Warriors. I believe Toon Zelda is definitely one of the most creative newcomers on this roster because of her ability to shed her phantom armor and become her spirit form. I don't consider it redundant that they are of the Zelda bloodline. They are both completely different characters and all of the most important characters of the Zelda series are Link, Zelda, and Ganon.

Ridley: I've been considering Ridley only because I believe this particular installment is going to aim to satisfy fan requests that have been consistent throughout the series. My stance on Ridley as a playable character has always been the same as Sakurai, but he's been known to change his mind and try as hard as possible to make things work.

My concept for Ridley is inspired by his appearance in Super Metroid where he has long limbs, but they are hunched together.

Ridley can extend his wings, neck, and tail when attacking. He also has a unique forward throw where he drags his opponent across the ground and a unique down aerial where uses the baby metroid capsule as a weapon.

Mimikyu: Mimikyu is clearly the most popular and promoted Pokemon of Sun & Moon. His role in the anime is extremely significant as he is a part of Team Rocket since the series began and he continues to appear. He was also one of the more significant Totem Pokemon in the game.

Celica: Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia is the most recent Fire Emblem game. Because of this remake, Celica is now one of the few characters to have multiple games where she is a main protagonist along with Marth & Ike. I chose her over Alm because she is more unique as a preistess and she appeared in Fire Emblem Warriors. And the fact that Fire Emblem Gaiden is such an old game, makes her popular with both new and old fans of the series.

Excitebike: The Excite series is one of Nintendo's most successful series. It is also the ninth best selling Famicom game and one of the launch titles of the system. Excitebike's unique ability is that his specials do MASSIVE damage, but as a result of using them, his bike overheats. This is demonstrated by the meter next to his character icon during battle.
View attachment 143761

Impa: Impa is another popular request. I originally had her as a costume of Sheik as they are both Sheikah and share a similar body structure, but instead she appears as a taller and more muscular clone of Sheik. As a result of being buffer, she's not as agile. She uses Giant's Knife as her Final Smash, which functions identical to Cloud's Final Smash.

I didn't have a picture of it, but Impa appears as a younger version of herself from Breath of The Wild.

Lip: Lip appears as a represenative of puzzle games. She can summon blocks from Panel De Pon and Tetris. Using blocks to perform chain attacks are a huge part of her fight style and Lip's stick works almost as well as it did as an item. It will return to the form of a bud when used to often, until eventually it blossoms back into a flower.

The more combos she performs with her chain attacks, the more garbage blocks she can store up before releasing her wrath upon her opponents. Her garbage blocks are massively powerful and cover lots of range. They are devastating when used as a meteor smash.

upload_2018-5-28_10-20-40.jpeg

Sheriff: Sheriff appears as a legacy character as he is the oldest Nintendo character of all. I'm aware his game was a flop, but I think with a shortage of easy pickings, he is going to appear as a new criteria of newcomer. In Melee, there was a desire to have a true Famicom representative. I believe this time there will be a true arcade representative, someone who has only appeared in an arcade game and didn't have a sequel, similar to how Ice Climbers only appeared in a Famicom game and did not have a sequel. I believe this is the installment where the timing is perfect for Sheriff's inclusion.

Sheriff's unique ability is that he has eight directional attacks instead of four. All of his tilt attacks fire his pistol in a different direction. His neutral special is a charge shot. Again, he can use this to fire in one of eight directions, but the shot is more powerful and it suspends him in midair for a breif moment. He uses a whip in his smash attacks, similar to Kirby's cowboy transformation. His Up Special is Condor, his side special is Bandido, and his Down Special is Barrier (He hides and shoots behind the wooden post that has numbers on them).

I have a concept for the stage as well. It takes place inside the Sheriff Arcade Cabinet and the border around the screen can be seen. It's basically like the popular "Box" Custom Stage. Opponents cannot be KO'd until the dots around the screen are broken open.

Bomberman: Bomberman is probably the most requested third party character. The amount of Bomberman games is enormous and a lot of them are Nintendo exclusives. His alternate pallet swaps are the Bomberman Brothers from Super Bomberman R.

Simon: After Street Fighter and Final Fantasy getting characters, I believe Castlevania is the next big third party IP to have in Super Smash Bros. This series too has a history with Nintendo on the Famicom & Super Famicom.

Spring Man & Ribbon Girl: Here's the thing, I don't think Spring Man is likely, but I think it's possible he may become a late addition like Sonic because of his requests and the success of Arms on Nintendo Switch. But, I seriously doubt he was included in the original roster when the game started development.

(This was not edited to include Ridley and Simon because of the alleged leak claiming that they will be shown off at E3. I've had several past rosters predicting Simon Belmont https://smashboards.com/threads/sup...d-to-e3-countdown-to-e3-e3-e3.434391/page-864, and this post was edited to include Ridley prior to the "leak", but I edited in other adjustments to the roster after. Ridley is in this roster because I speculated he may be added in this installment and shown off at E3 2018 in response to his internet following that has been strong across five games: https://smashboards.com/threads/sup...wn-to-e3-e3-e3.434391/page-1113#post-22061856)

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Just because the Switch is comparable in power doesn't mean changes won't be made to take advantage of the system's capabilities or adjust to changes between systems such as handheld mode and the cartridges. Tropical Freeze for instance, despite being a port, has its assets called differently so that disk storage would be optimized for the cartridge. Additionally, we already have one such example of a character getting changes to them with Link getting his BotW design, so there's definitely room to believe there will be more changes to characters vs. Smash's previous outing on the Wii U/3DS.

The thing is we don't know for certain how much Smash Switch is going to reuse previous assets, what it will change to accommodate for the Switch, and what it will build on top of the base from Smash 4. Theoretically there may be other mechanical issues that have to be addressed, there may be more updates to characters that we're not considering, and there may be modes like SSE that require a good amount of time and development being funneled into it. Assuming that this game won't change based on limited information is not something I'd suggest, it's best to be open to different possibilities here and then only narrow them as more details come out.
True but I still feel the game will essentially be a port turned sequel since smash 4 is still pretty new and it still holds up as a new game, I think it'd just be a waste of time and resources to essentially start from scratch when using smash 4 as a base is just so much easier. There'll obviously be smaller changes where necessary like characters getting updated designs and movesets based on recent games and of course new stages and modes but I don't expect that to really effect characters and them getting cut since they're all essentially done already outside of inevitable tweaks to their movesets, models etc.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
What are the chance that a 3rd party character could be cut becaue the parent company being too greedy? Like what if Capcom wants more money to have Mega man and/or Ryu return?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
75 Character Roster (15 Newcomers). As Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch will likely reuse source material and assets that were already created for the Wii U installment, all the characters from the last game return here.
View attachment 143755

• Donkey Kong Classics (NES)
  • Super Mario 64 (N64)
  • Mario Bros. (NES)
  • Luigi's Mansion (3DS)
  • Mario Party (N64)
  • Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
Paper Mario (Debut: 2000)
  • Paper Mario (N64)
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GCN)
  • Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii U)
  • Dr. Mario (NES)
  • Mario Kart 64 (N64)
Dixie Kong (Debut: 1995)
  • Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble (SNES)
  • Yoshi's Story (N64)
  • Wario Land 3 (GBC)
  • WarioWare Gold (3DS)
  • Metroid (NES)
  • Super Metroid (SNES)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (NS)
  • F-Zero (SNES)
  • F-Zero X (N64)
  • F-Zero GX (GCN)
  • EarthBound (SNES)
  • Mother 3 (Japan Only)
  • Kirby Star Allies (NS)
King Dedede (Debut 1992)
  • Kirby Superstar (SNES)
  • Star Fox (SNES)
  • Star Fox 64 (N64)
  • Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
  • Star Fox 64 (N64)
  • Star Fox Command (DS)
  • Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
  • Pokemon Stadium (N64)
  • Kid Icarus (NES)
  • Kid Icarus (NES)
  • Project X Zone 2 (3DS)
  • Pikmin (GCN)
  • Pikmin 2 (GCN)
  • Hey! Pikmin (3DS)
  • Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
  • Animal Forest (Japan Only)
  • Punch-Out!! (NES)
  • Punch-Out!! (Wii)
  • Splatoon (Wii U)
  • Splatoon 2 (NS)
  • Rhythm Heaven (DS)
  • Excitebike (NES)
  • Excitebike 64 (N64)
  • Ice Climber (NES)
  • Duck Hunt (NES)
  • Gyromite (NES)
  • Stack-Up (NES)
  • Mario Kart DS (DS)
  • Ball (G&W)
  • Game & Watch Gallery 4 (GBA)
  • Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Sonic Mania (NS)
  • Mega Man (NES)
  • Mega Man 2 (SNES)
  • Mega Man 11 (NS)
  • Bomberman (NES)
  • Bomberman Hero (N64)
  • Super Bomberman R (NS)
  • Pac-Man
  • Pac-Man World (GBA)
  • Ms. Pac-Man
  • Pac-Land (NES)
  • Castlevania (NES)
  • Street Fighter
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Bayonetta (NS)
  • Bayonetta 2 (NS)
  • Bayonetta 3 (NS)
  • Sheriff

Unlockable Characters (10)
  • Dr. Mario
  • Pichu
  • Dark Pit
  • Lucina
  • Impa
  • R.O.B.
  • Duck Hunt
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Sheriff
  • Mii Fighters
Costume Characters (20)
  • Ness/Ninten
  • Popo/Nana
  • Marth/Leif
  • Olimar/Alph
  • Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man

• Link's design is updated. Hookshot is replaced with the Rune Magnet, Arrow is replaced with Ancient Arrow, Gale Boomerang is replaced with Boomerang, Bomb is replaced with Rune Bomb, and stage entrance is now Warp Travel.
  • Sheik's desing is updated.
  • Kirby's Final Smash is now Hypernova. (Would be cooler if it was Mike Kirby)
  • Fox & Falco's designs are updated. Final Smash is Arwing Walker.
  • Olimar no longer uses White Pikmin and Purple Pikmin, but instead Winged Pikmin and Rock Pikmin. His Up Special is now the jet pack from "Hey! Pikmin". The ship is from "Hey! Pikmin" as well. Alph now has voice clips.

Paper Mario: Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon all have eight characters because in all past Smash games since Melee, they have had an equal share of characters on the select screen, with the exception of Mario characters sometimes having more. I chose Paper Mario as most likely because of his popularity and his new unique ability which is that he can take the form of a stack of papers and multiply himself. I believe this gives him the unique personality he didn't have before to qualify his inclusion.

Originally I had him and Captain Toad, but I think it would be a bit too much given that Mario had two newcomers last time.

Pauline: Pauline is one of the original cast members of Donkey Kong and she's become very popular in recent years, especially with Super Mario Odyssey. She's probably not all that likely because Super Mario Odyssey was late 2017, but I kept her because she has her other merits. Her unique ability is her parasol and her love of music.

Dixie Kong: I didn't consider Dixie that likely either. I have her here as a late addition semi-clone, similar to Wolf, because she's been a popular request and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was a successful game.

Toon Zelda & Tetra: I believe these two are the most popular Zelda characters and they are definitely the most important given their recurrence in major roles in Zelda games. Especially recent ones like Wind Waker HD and Hyrule Warriors. I believe Toon Zelda is definitely one of the most creative newcomers on this roster because of her ability to shed her phantom armor and become her spirit form. I don't consider it redundant that they are of the Zelda bloodline. They are both completely different characters and all of the most important characters of the Zelda series are Link, Zelda, and Ganon.

Mimikyu: Mimikyu is clearly the most popular and promoted Pokemon of Sun & Moon. His role in the anime is extremely significant as he is a part of Team Rocket since the series began and he continues to appear. He was also one of the more significant Totem Pokemon in the game.

Celica: Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia is the most recent Fire Emblem game. Because of this remake, Celica is now one of the few characters to have multiple games where she is a main protagonist along with Marth & Ike. I chose her over Alm because she is more unique as a preistess and she appeared in Fire Emblem Warriors. And the fact that Fire Emblem Gaiden is such an old game, makes her popular with both new and old fans of the series.

Excitebike: The Excite series is one of Nintendo's most successful series. It is also the ninth best selling Famicom game. Excitebike's unique ability is that his specials do MASSIVE damage, but as a result of using them, his bike overheats. This is demonstrated by the meter next to his character icon during battle.
View attachment 143761

Pichu: With the addition of Dr. Mario, a lot of people have been requesting Pichu come back. The reason I have him and not Wolf, is because he is quick to make. Though we may see as many as 80 characters, I would not be surprised if Wolf came back.

Impa: Impa is another popular request. I originally had her as a costume of Sheik, but instead she appears as a taller and more muscular clone of Sheik as they are both Sheikah and share a similar body structure. As a result of being buffer, she's not as agile. She uses Giant's Knife as her Final Smash, which functions identical to Cloud's Final Smash.

I didn't have a picture of it, but Impa appears as a younger version of herself from Breath of The Wild.

Sheriff: Sheriff appears as a legacy character as he is the oldest Nintendo character of all. I'm aware his game was a flop, but I think with a shortage of easy pickings, he is going to appear as a new criteria of newcomer. In Melee, there was a desire to have a true Famicom representative. I believe this time there will be a true arcade representative, someone who has only appeared in an arcade game and didn't have a sequel, similar to how Ice Climbers only appeared in a Famicom game and did not have a sequel. I believe this is the installment where the timing is perfect for Sheriff's inclusion.

Sheriff's unique ability is that he has eight directional attacks instead of four. All of his tilt attacks fire his pistol in a different direction. His neutral special is a charge shot. Again, he can use this to fire in one of eight directions, but the shot is more powerful and it suspends him in midair for a breif moment. He uses a whip in his smash attacks, similar to Kirby's cowboy transformation. His Up Special is Condor, his side special is Bandido, and his Down Special is Barrier (He hides and shoots behind the wooden post that has numbers on them).

I have a concept for the stage as well. It takes place inside the Sheriff Arcade Cabinet and the border around the screen can be seen. It's basically like the popular "Box" Custom Stage. Opponents cannot be KO'd until the dots around the screen are broken open.

Bomberman: Bomberman is probably the most requested third party character. The amount of Bomberman games is enormous and a lot of them are Nintendo exclusives.

Bomberman's alternate pallet swaps are the Bomberman Brothers from Super Bomberman R.

Simon: After Street Fighter and Final Fantasy getting characters, I believe Castlevania is the next big third party IP to have in Super Smash Bros. This series too has a history with Nintendo on the Famicom & Super Famicom.

I don't have any characters from Arms, Fire Emblem 16, or Pokemon 8 because of how late their debuts are compared to when this game probably started development.
A nice roster, especially visually but I have a few questions. for one, Pauline? why? I know she was in odyssey but she was a minor character there and there's not a whole lot going for her when it comes to a moveset tbh.
And Toon Zelda, would she be a clone or? obviously not since the phantom is there, but why make toon zelda as an original character to begin with? and why is toon link wearing the conductor outfit
And the clone section, idk why you guys always feel the need to include this, Lucina, doc and dpit are in a seperate section cause they were costumes turned clones that were tacked on at the end of development, would the same go for Impa and Pichu? and why does the clone corner still need to exist at all?

I like/don't mind the rest of your choices tho.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
There was a significant time gap between those games releasing, 7 years between melee and brawl and 6 years between brawl and smash 4, and the hardware jump between the consoles was also bigger which meant updating graphics and animations and models etc. There's only gonna be a 4 year difference with this game, 2 if you count the continued support of sm4sh after launch, and the Wii U and the Switch are already very comparable in power.
First of all, both Brawl and 4 were only in development for ~2 years, the same amount of time Smash Switch has been in development for.

Second, the jump between the Wii and Wii U was not that big.

Third, the gap between 4 and Switch is larger than the gap between 64 and Melee, which are very different, and Switch got a longer development cycle than Melee.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
75 Character Roster (15 Newcomers). As Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch will likely reuse source material and assets that were already created for the Wii U installment, all the characters from the last game return here.
View attachment 143755
Just pretend Pichu is Wolf if you want.

• Super Mario 64 (N64)
  • Mario Bros. (NES)
  • Luigi's Mansion (3DS)
  • Mario Party (N64)
  • Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
Paper Mario (Debut: 2000)
  • Paper Mario (N64)
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GCN)
  • Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii U)
  • Dr. Mario (NES)
  • Mario Kart 64 (N64)
Dixie Kong (Debut: 1995)
  • Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble (SNES)
  • Yoshi's Story (N64)
  • Wario Land 3 (GBC)
  • WarioWare Gold (3DS)
  • Metroid (NES)
  • Super Metroid (SNES)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (NS)
  • F-Zero (SNES)
  • F-Zero X (N64)
  • F-Zero GX (GCN)
  • EarthBound (SNES)
  • Mother 3 (Japan Only)
  • Kirby Star Allies (NS)
King Dedede (Debut 1992)
  • Kirby Superstar (SNES)
  • Star Fox (SNES)
  • Star Fox 64 (N64)
  • Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
  • Star Fox 64 (N64)
  • Star Fox Command (DS)
  • Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
  • Pokemon Stadium (N64)
  • Kid Icarus (NES)
  • Kid Icarus (NES)
  • Project X Zone 2 (3DS)
  • Pikmin (GCN)
  • Pikmin 2 (GCN)
  • Hey! Pikmin (3DS)
  • Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
  • Animal Forest (Japan Only)
  • Punch-Out!! (NES)
  • Punch-Out!! (Wii)
  • Splatoon (Wii U)
  • Splatoon 2 (NS)
  • Rhythm Heaven (DS)
  • Excitebike (NES)
  • Excitebike 64 (N64)
  • Ice Climber (NES)
  • Duck Hunt (NES)
  • Gyromite (NES)
  • Stack-Up (NES)
  • Mario Kart DS (DS)
  • Ball (G&W)
  • Game & Watch Gallery 4 (GBA)
  • Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Sonic Mania (NS)
  • Mega Man (NES)
  • Mega Man 2 (SNES)
  • Mega Man 11 (NS)
  • Bomberman (NES)
  • Bomberman Hero (N64)
  • Super Bomberman R (NS)
  • Pac-Man
  • Pac-Man World (GBA)
  • Ms. Pac-Man
  • Pac-Land (NES)
  • Castlevania (NES)
  • Street Fighter
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Bayonetta (NS)
  • Bayonetta 2 (NS)
  • Bayonetta 3 (NS)
  • Sheriff

Unlockable Characters (10)
  • Dr. Mario
  • Pichu
  • Dark Pit
  • Lucina
  • Impa
  • R.O.B.
  • Duck Hunt
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Sheriff
  • Mii Fighters
Costume Characters (20)
  • Ness/Ninten
  • Popo/Nana
  • Marth/Leif
  • Olimar/Alph
  • Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man

• Sheik's desing is updated.
  • Kirby's Final Smash is now Hypernova. (Would be cooler if it was Mike Kirby)
  • Fox & Falco's designs are updated. Final Smash is Arwing Walker.

Paper Mario: Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon all have eight characters because in all past Smash games since Melee, they have had an equal share of characters on the select screen, with the exception of Mario characters sometimes having more. I chose Paper Mario as most likely because of his popularity and his new unique ability which is that he can take the form of a stack of papers and multiply himself. I believe this gives him the unique personality he didn't have before to qualify his inclusion.

Originally I had him and Captain Toad, but I think it would be a bit too much given that Mario had two newcomers last time.

Dixie Kong: I didn't consider Dixie that likely either. I have her here as a late addition semi-clone, similar to Wolf, because she's been a popular request and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was a successful game.

Excitebike: The Excite series is one of Nintendo's most successful series. It is also the ninth best selling Famicom game. Excitebike's unique ability is that his specials do MASSIVE damage, but as a result of using them, his bike overheats. This is demonstrated by the meter next to his character icon during battle.
View attachment 143761

Pichu: With the addition of Dr. Mario, a lot of people have been requesting Pichu come back. The reason I have him and not Wolf, is because he is quick to make. Though we may see as many as 80 characters, I would not be surprised if Wolf came back.

Impa: Impa is another popular request. I originally had her as a costume of Sheik, but instead she appears as a taller and more muscular clone of Sheik as they are both Sheikah and share a similar body structure. As a result of being buffer, she's not as agile. She uses Giant's Knife as her Final Smash, which functions identical to Cloud's Final Smash.

Bomberman: Bomberman is probably the most requested third party character. The amount of Bomberman games is enormous and a lot of them are Nintendo exclusives.

Bomberman's alternate pallet swaps are the Bomberman Brothers from Super Bomberman R.

I don't have any characters from Arms, Fire Emblem 16, or Pokemon 8 because of how late their debuts are compared to when this game probably started development.
Even though it doesn't have a lot of the newcomers I'm pulling for, generally I like it!

My only complaint is can we PLEASE not have the "clone zone" back? :laugh: Between that and the DLC being crammed into the bottom of the roster, the UI in Smash 4 drives me crazy :p Hopefully it's better in 5.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
First of all, both Brawl and 4 were only in development for ~2 years, the same amount of time Smash Switch has been in development for.

Second, the jump between the Wii and Wii U was not that big.

Third, the gap between 4 and Switch is larger than the gap between 64 and Melee, which are very different, and Switch got a longer development cycle than Melee.
I'm not talking about development time, I'm just talking about time between releases, the more time passes the more the game and it's assets need to be updated to match modern standards, smash 4 isn't outdated and I don't expect it's models and animations etc to change much.

The jump between the wii and the wii u was big tho, and the standards for visuals changed massively between 2008 to 2014, while assets were reused they still needed to be updated, this wouldn't be nearly as necessary for smash switch.

The game being in development for 2 years isn't really an indicator that it's a new game made from stratch, if anything it could just mean getting far more content than we expect. And also Melee HAD to be updated significantly, they couldn't use those 64 graphics on the gamecube.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
I'm not talking about development time, I'm just talking about time between releases, the more time passes the more the game and it's assets need to be updated to match modern standards, smash 4 isn't outdated and I don't expect it's models and animations etc to change much.
Brawl's assets weren't outdated when 4 came out. It did and does still look fine, save for the shading.
The game being in development for 2 years isn't really an indicator that it's a new game made from stratch, if anything it could just mean getting far more content than we expect. And also Melee HAD to be updated significantly, they couldn't use those 64 graphics on the gamecube.
Reminder that your initial point was
People who think this game isn't gonna essentially a smash 4.5 are setting themselves up for disappointment
You're basically saying "we don't know it isn't, therefore it is".

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
A nice roster, especially visually but I have a few questions. for one, Pauline? why? I know she was in odyssey but she was a minor character there and there's not a whole lot going for her when it comes to a moveset tbh.
And Toon Zelda, would she be a clone or? obviously not since the phantom is there, but why make toon zelda as an original character to begin with? and why is toon link wearing the conductor outfit
And the clone section, idk why you guys always feel the need to include this, Lucina, doc and dpit are in a seperate section cause they were costumes turned clones that were tacked on at the end of development, would the same go for Impa and Pichu? and why does the clone corner still need to exist at all?

I like/don't mind the rest of your choices tho.
I explained Pauline's inclusion. Her inclusion was not because of Odyssey and saying she played a minor role is like saying Rosalina played a minor role in Super Mario Galaxy. Pauline has played "major" roles in SEVERAL Donkey Kong games.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I explained Pauline's inclusion. Her inclusion was not because of Odyssey and saying she played a minor role is like saying Rosalina played a minor role in Super Mario Galaxy. Pauline has played "major" roles in SEVERAL Donkey Kong games.
Rosalina was a major part of Galaxy's story, she wasn't essentially a cameo in one level of the game like Pauline was. And Rosaina is here because of her moveset potential, Pauline doesn't really have that.

Brawl's assets weren't outdated when 4 came out. It did and does still look fine, save for the shading.

Reminder that your initial point was

You're basically saying "we don't know it isn't, therefore it is".
I really don't think Brawl's visuals would really pass for a 2014 game but whatever

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Even though it doesn't have a lot of the newcomers I'm pulling for, generally I like it!

My only complaint is can we PLEASE not have the "clone zone" back? :laugh: Between that and the DLC being crammed into the bottom of the roster, the UI in Smash 4 drives me crazy :p Hopefully it's better in 5.
The "Clone Zone" is there to avoid misunderstandings. I think part of why it was used is because people might select the character, not knowing they are merely a small deviation from the original, unlike someone like Lucas or Falco. This has caused people to complain because they don't understand that the clones are merely extra additions after the roster was already completed.

The same thing was done in Melee, where the clone characters are asymmetrically placed next to the characters they were built from.

I think if I had Impa up with the other characters, it would cause confusion and people would think she's a completely original character.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Rosalina was a major part of Galaxy's story, she wasn't essentially a cameo in one level of the game like Pauline was. And Rosaina is here because of her moveset potential, Pauline doesn't really have that.
Pauline was a big part of the promotion of Odyessey. Her role is defintely smaller than Rosalina's but I can see her inclusion. Also I would argue Rosalina had just as much forseeable Moveset potential as Pauline does now. They built a gimmick for Rosalina, and I could see them make a summoner gimmick for Pauline using the vs Donkey Kong minis.

I personally think Pauline would be more exciting than other likely Mario characters , especially if they pull the using Mario abilities like they did for Rosalina, and give Pauline Cappy in her hat. But that's a wishful stretch :p

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Rosalina was a major part of Galaxy's story, she wasn't essentially a cameo in one level of the game like Pauline was.
I think you're really overestimating how much that actually matters.

And Rosaina is here because of her moveset potential, Pauline doesn't really have that.
What a shock that you would say that. It's almost like you say that about literally every character ever. And I've already explained why Pauline does have potential, so you can go back and read that.

It's really starting to get annoying. You know, you going around and making declarative criticisms of character's supposed lack of potential that you never ever explain. Especially when you say it about literally every character in existence.

If you're not going to research characters before dismissing them (constantly), the least you could do is support your claims.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I think you're really overestimating how much that actually matters.

What a shock that you would say that. It's almost like you say that about literally every character ever. And I've already explained why Pauline does have potential, so you can go back and read that.

It's really starting to get annoying. You know, you going around and making declarative criticisms of character's supposed lack of potential that you never ever explain. Especially when you say it about literally every character in existence.

If you're not going to research characters before dismissing them (constantly), the least you could do is support your claims.
I make that claim when a character doesn't have obvious potential to pull from that would make them unique, Rosalina has the whole Luma gimmick allowing her to be a puppet style character and magical abilities. What does pauline have? A hat, a bag and the ability to sing, those things don't really translate into a clear moveset.

"Constantly" i.e. literally one character, mimikyu who I never denied had potential and instead claimed makes a less obvious and less fitting fighter than decidueye which I still stand by. You're really hung up on that whole mimikyu thing sis

Khao

Smash Lord
There was a significant time gap between those games releasing, 7 years between melee and brawl and 6 years between brawl and smash 4.
Just want to casually pop-in to say that looking at the time gaps doesn't quite mean anything, as each game was not under developmentfor the entire duration of those gaps.

Between Melee and Brawl, Sakurai was credited in six different games. Brawl wasn't in development until 2005.

After Brawl, Sakurai was busy with Kid Icarus until 2012, and we know for a fact that when the game was announced (or more like just promised as a future title) in 2011, it wasn't actually yet under development. Both Brawl and Sm4sh had a development cycle of less than 3 years, excluding Sm4sh's updates and DLC, of course.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Just want to casually pop-in to say that looking at the time gaps doesn't quite mean anything, as each game was not under developmentfor the entire duration of those gaps.

Between Melee and Brawl, Sakurai was credited in six different games. Brawl wasn't in development until 2005.

After Brawl, Sakurai was busy with Kid Icarus until 2012, and we know for a fact that when the game was announced (or more like just promised as a future title) in 2011, it wasn't actually yet under development. Both Brawl and Sm4sh had a development cycle of less than 3 years, excluding Sm4sh's updates and DLC, of course.
Like I already said, I wasn't talking about development time, I was talking about how much time had passed between releases and how outdated the visuals became and how they needed to be drastically updated because the games came out so long after one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom