• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. For 3DS Advanced Technique: Toss Canceling

BibbledyJello

Smash Cadet
NNID
gwitherspoon5
3DS FC
0962-9185-6296
Wow. This is very interesting. Also incredibly confusing due to my current noob level. But cool! Now I could use Peach better?

SupremeSuperiorStick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sohaii
For those that do not know why :diddy: and :rob: can't do it, I'll explain. The three that do this technique pluck an item and it ends up in their hand. :rob: and :diddy: pull an item and toss it with down b rather then pluck it. They have to manually go to where their item spawns/gets moved to and pick it up with A.

:018:
So if they were to place the items with their specials and then manually pick them up, they would also be able to perform the Toss Cancel?

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
For those that do not know why :diddy: and :rob: can't do it, I'll explain. The three that do this technique pluck an item and it ends up in their hand. :rob: and :diddy: pull an item and toss it with down b rather then pluck it. They have to manually go to where their item spawns/gets moved to and pick it up with A.

Exactly. When Toon Link, Link, or Peach pluck a natural item with a Down Special input, the item is already in hand. If the item is in hand and you input Down Special again, the game realizes that you already have the item in hand and so tosses the item. As far as we know this could have been a technical oversight when the mechanic of plucking natural items was programmed.

So if they were to place the items with their specials and then manually pick them up, they would also be able to perform the Toss Cancel?
No they would not. This is an effect caused by the mechanic of plucking natural items. Rob spawns the spin top in front of him and this is a move that requires to inputs(one to charge and one to shoot the spin top). Diddy Kong spawns the banana by tossing it behind him. Neither of these are natural items that are plucked.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I see... Pressing down b while holding an item you summoned with down b automatically makes you throw it. Makes sense. You can't hold out 2 bombs/turnips with one hand now can you?

G-K

Smash Cadet
Yeah, it would've been nice to bring back a useless tech barrier that only separates the playerbase and only serves to make the higher levels feel good about themselves.
Yep, it's so much better when the game's completely dumbed down, so nobody can do anything with the engine, and players that can't bother to spend 2 or 3 minutes learning this "schism-inducing-advanced-techniques" don't feel put down by those "evil-doers, probably, Satan worshipers" who do. :troll:

Jsteel3

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jsteel3
3DS FC
1263-6252-1703
I've been using it online with my TL it is and feels SOOOOO good

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces

Actually, the real reason is that Link and Peach are awesome and Rob and Diddy aren't, but nice try ;) Just kidding but I had to say it .

Last edited:

qiraz611

Smash Rookie
NNID
Naryx
Yeah, it would've been nice to bring back a useless tech barrier that only separates the playerbase and only serves to make the higher levels feel good about themselves.
Let me guess, you're not high level so you complain about those who are. There was no need to be sarcastic with his comment. He simply wanted a mechanic he liked back.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
What about Robin's used up tomes/Levin Sword?

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
if i catch links bomb can i then toss cancel? Im seeing a zelda fair catch bomb fast fall toss cancel fair again in my head. could be a hype counter.

or am i misunderstanding the inputs?

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
If this doesn't attract Melee players, nothing will.

This is only the tip of the tech iceberg.
If anything, this makes the game less appealing because projectiles already seemed really strong. It's also yet another way to get out of combos. Buffing all of the defensive aspects of an already defensive game doesn't seem like a great thing...

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Patched or not, Link still kicks the most serious and intense posterior this time around... And me likes.

AJawesome07

Smash Apprentice
Catching a natural item from Link, Toon Link, or Peach and then canceling the item using a toss will not work. Toss Canceling is done via Down Special and the other characters do not toss an item they are holding on impact with the ground if Down Special were to be input. These characters have the natural item in hand when someone were to input Down Special. If the character already is holding the item, upon inputting Down Special a second time would cause them to toss the item due to not being able to pull another natural item because they are already holding one.
K, thanks for clarifying. It's still a neat new tech though.

beestmode

Smash Cadet
Toss cancel...smosh cancel...don't really matter if those few characters get the little extra help...plenty of other characters will still whoop those few who can TC...don't get me wrong I like the idea and the guy(s) who found this out props man :)

_Chrome

Smash Ace

BAKURA!

The Original Zeph

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ryanime
3DS FC
0516-7265-4386
Honestly if Nintendo patches this I will be severely disappointed. In what way does this even effect the casual audience they were aiming for in the first place they should at least let us have the exploits we can find. It makes the game deep and will ensure the competitive scene has a healthy future.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Yea because Nintendo has always cared so much about patching vulnerabilities even if it caused games to become unbeatable.

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
Let me guess, you're not high level so you complain about those who are. There was no need to be sarcastic with his comment. He simply wanted a mechanic he liked back.
Except L-canceling is pointless in concept. I don't just mean that it's annoying or whatnot. I mean it is literally a pointless thing to include.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Can Megaman do it with the custom bomb move?

shapular

Smash Ace
To the people who are saying "lol only 3 characters so game-changing lol", remember that that's 50% more characters than those that can waveshine in Melee.

31gma

Smash Cadet
NNID
yrba10
To the people who are saying "lol only 3 characters so game-changing lol", remember that that's 50% more characters than those that can waveshine in Melee.
Don't bother, they'll still ***** about how campy it is when the meta hasn't fully evolved yet.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
So? 3 characters toss canceling vs. 2 characters waveshining in a roster as big as Smash is not a significant improvement. And at least in Melee, waveshining is just a sub-technique of wavedashing which everyone can do while this thing is completely exclusive.

Keefer

Smash Cadet
As a link main. I think this is awesome. I have already won a few local tourneys with him and didnt think he was anywhere near bottom tier but this is an amazing feature that I hope doesnt ever get patched.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
This is neat and all, but do we really need to fish for techs guys? The game plays perfectly fine all on it's own
Competitive players will do anything to get an advantage over their opponent. So the answer is no - but they will still try to use this anyway.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
unfortunately? i hope this gets patched. it shouldn't be exclusive to just 3 characters.
Yeah, because nothing else in this game is unique to certain characters...............

Ontop of that, this will only affect play at the higher levels because casual's won't be able to do this to any useful effect. And at higher levels Peach and Links appear to be pretty average characters anyway so far.

So there's really no good argument for taking it out no matter which way you look at it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom