• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros Duel....

_Slick_

Smash Ace
Good luck... it won't be easy.
Anyways you might not want to focus on the casual players as much, due to the fact not many casual players have the equipment to run homebrew on their DS in the first place.
Hmm...I never thought of it that way...
Well actually, most people in Asia who have a DS also have a R4/M3 Simply/any flash cart, but yeah, hardcore gamers will be the ones getting this.

Best of luck to u good sir *salutes* anyways, how would I get to play it :? I have no idea what u guys are talking about with M3s and stuff -_-
Google's a great place to start.

Another suggestion to OP: Start a website, freewebs or something. At least you'll have a place to update in a blog, or a place to place features and downloads.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Google's a great place to start.

Another suggestion to OP: Start a website, freewebs or something. At least you'll have a place to update in a blog, or a place to place features and downloads.
. . . And a nice obvious way to get the eventual Cease and Desist.

Dude, you don't need to offer the product for profit to get legal action threatened on you. If you use the IP, the copyright holders are at risk, and the courts will back them. :ohwell:

. . . aaaaaanyway.....
Put in a character from one of Square's turn-based yet real-time-simulating sword fighter games. (That was my way of intensionally identifying the set exemplified by Chrono Trigger, Golden Sun, and Final Fantasy)

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Thanks for the support. To my dismay though, it would seem the class might not be held in the Fall, but I'll see. I heard from the Game Dev I people that Game Dev II was going to be held again next Spring, when I'm in Japan. If this is the case, I'll start a team up in my Game Dev Club, and start working on it there, though if that's the case I won't be able to motivate them to finish as quickly, well unless I show the green which I won't be doing because I'm poor. But maybe this is a good thing, seeing as this might give me more time to work on it before I actually take the class, so it won't be as rushed and I can make it better. I'll update you guys on were the game stands as I get more info.

For the people who want to help with graphics, send me some examples, and I'll see.

What I'm looking for is something like the sprites that AbyssWolf made, those were the best. I might try and see if he'll help...

http://abysswolf.deviantart.com/art/Get-Ready-to-BRAWL-Fin-57207197

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
if you make the psp homebrew one i am forever in your debt LOL

my friends made this flash one and it just had too many glictches on the sonic charaacters.
but seirously ima look forward to this

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
If you are serious, the best of luck. Of course, don't try and force them to go along. You can always do this in your spare time with your other mates.

Also, make sure you think of a good roster. Not many people do.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
For anyone looking for a decent Smash homebrew adaptation and has a PSP, I suggest SmashGpsp, it has a bunch of characters you can find on the net, try PSPBrew.

I plan to make mine better than that, if I can get it together.

_Slick_

Smash Ace
Damm, that makes them seem really defensive and angry, Slick. ^^
Besides, Ganondorf is in, I know this.

Simply on the grounds of he's awesomness. :bee:
BOLDNESS IS MEAN. :laugh:

Wait...doesn't he suck in Brawl?
Wait...does he have a sword in Brawl (that he uses...)?
Wait...has he been defeated time and time again by Link?

EDIT: I'm surprised I haven't asked this but "Will Final Smashes be included?".
EDIT2: Okay, I want this game desperately so I'm going to help.
Geno might be hard to put in the game unless you have a person who can make custom sprites.
EDIT3: I call Krystal, Isaac, Mega-man, Oni Link and Micaiah as those "unique" characters.

Anarkex

Smash Cadet
If you need inspiration for the game engine, check out Jump Ultimate Stars (if you haven't already). It's very similar to Smash, and while it's a bit too easy to get cheap kills, it's still an incredibly fun game that manages 53 different characters that are rather balanced.

For new character suggestions, if you don't already have way too many, I propose a Koopa Troopa, and Jill Dozer. But I'd probably be happier if you just surprised everyone by giving us characters we didn't know we wanted.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
What I'm looking for is something like the sprites that AbyssWolf made, those were the best. I might try and see if he'll help...

http://abysswolf.deviantart.com/art/Get-Ready-to-BRAWL-Fin-57207197
I hope you don't want something of that quality level animated... those things probably took a very hefty amount of time each. I've made (crappy) sprites before, and it is a paaaaiiin. Particularly animating them to make, say, attacks. A single smooth attack animation will likely require the spriter to redraw the whole body many many times.

With the resources you have, I suppose there's nothing wrong with expecting decent graphics... but spriting is hell, is basically what I want to say.

Sorry if I seem critical, but I'm concerned and I want this project work out for you. The results would be an amazing if it succeeded. Also, I'm really bitter, because spriting is what's keeping my projects from coming to fruition...

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
So... yeah. I run a graphic design team, for a hobby. We specialize in mugen stuff, mostly. We succesfully released the Marvel character Deadpool for Christmas last year, and currently have numerous Marvel and DC characters in the works.

http://unlimited.pyche.net

Sprites like these can take from anywhere between 5 minutes to an hour:

Now factor in the time that a halfway decent full character takes something like 400 sprites minimum to properly animate. That's a fairly low number, mind you. Deadpool had... I wanna say 1,237... and there are prettier characters out there.

Even with the help we get via adaptable basework, spriting full characters really, really isn't a quick or easy process. Not to mention that the chore would likely be divided amongst the 40 classmates, and would result in an inconsistant artstyle.

3D models might actually be easier here, in such that you need only create 40 polygonal models and 40 skins. I imagine they'd be around the quality of the models in SM64DS. from there, the tasks of coding their movements [could] easily be divided up among a whole class of design students.

Even then, 40 characters seems like a bit much. I'd shoot for 20, including say the original (nonhidden) 8 minus Yoshi, then maybe Falcon, Luigi, Falco, Peach, Bowser, Zelda, Pit, Wario and a few exclusive newcomers.

_Slick_

Smash Ace
So... yeah. I run a graphic design team, for a hobby. We specialize in mugen stuff, mostly. We succesfully released the Marvel character Deadpool for Christmas last year, and currently have numerous Marvel and DC characters in the works.

http://unlimited.pyche.net

Sprites like these can take from anywhere between 5 minutes to an hour:

Now factor in the time that a halfway decent full character takes something like 400 sprites minimum to properly animate. That's a fairly low number, mind you. Deadpool had... I wanna say 1,237... and there are prettier characters out there.

Even with the help we get via adaptable basework, spriting full characters really, really isn't a quick or easy process. Not to mention that the chore would likely be divided amongst the 40 classmates, and would result in an inconsistant artstyle.

3D models might actually be easier here, in such that you need only create 40 polygonal models and 40 skins. I imagine they'd be around the quality of the models in SM64DS. from there, the tasks of coding their movements [could] easily be divided up among a whole class of design students.

Even then, 40 characters seems like a bit much. I'd shoot for 20, including say the original (nonhidden) 8 minus Yoshi, then maybe Falcon, Luigi, Falco, Peach, Bowser, Zelda, Pit, Wario and a few exclusive newcomers.
Don't discourage him! We want characters! :laugh:

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
I didn't discourage him. I just noted that if he's gonna get his class to do it, they could likely actually succeed... if they put a realistic limit on the number of characters and used 3D models.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Well, in our CGT department, we're expected to do things much more complicated than a series of sprites in a week or two, but this is something I'll address with everyone working on it, and see what they would prefer. If I go the 3D route, we may create a 3D engine, but if the programmers rather wok in 2D then we'll render out all the sprite we need.

blooagga

Smash Journeyman
Hey are you going to make your own sprites? Because I'm really tired of seeing attempted ssb games using the same sprite sheets. and if you CAN do 3d even if they are super polygonical models I think that would be uber cool.

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
Well, in our CGT department, we're expected to do things much more complicated than a series of sprites in a week or two, but this is something I'll address with everyone working on it, and see what they would prefer. If I go the 3D route, we may create a 3D engine, but if the programmers rather wok in 2D then we'll render out all the sprite we need.
I gotta ask for an example, because I've met a lot of Com. Arts students who thought they were the **** and then took weeks to do simple renders due to a lack of relatively basic art skills. Moreover a series of sprites for a full character doesn't take two weeks. Capcom, SNK and Eolith would have to work around the clock to sprite a unique character in two weeks, never mind the chores of coding all of their states, vars, triggers and helpers, and setting up and accurate clsn set.

Either your class is full of spriting prodigies or you've never actually tried a sprite; you've just done all sorts of 'elaborate' photoshop work and figured it more complex. Either way, 3D is a lot more feasible. Retro stuff is harder than it looks. Once again, I'm not trying to make a dig or discourage, but rather giving a friendly heads-up addressed from been there, done that.

6footninja

Smash Ace
Thats great. I'm suggesting maybe you put in King K. Rool I know people are very torn on the idea of him being in smash, but I don't see the harm in including him.

clace

Smash Journeyman
Megaman. Put in Megaman. And Ryu. And all the people in brawl. And all the people in melee. And a personalized character for every smashboarder. I want 5 though. And Sylux. And Isaac. And Sothe. And Captain Falcons Fist. And a Landmaster. And Zero. And Digimon. And Nurse Joy with team ninja physics breasts. And replace master hand with the power glove. And make a new item called Phallic item. And Tingle. And the moon. And the other moon. And that one. And Zelda's Cousins' Sisters' Daughter's pet dog. And Borat.

And some other stuff.

_Slick_

Smash Ace
Megaman. Put in Megaman. And Ryu. And all the people in brawl. And all the people in melee. And a personalized character for every smashboarder. I want 5 though. And Sylux. And Isaac. And Sothe. And Captain Falcons Fist. And a Landmaster. And Zero. And Digimon. And Nurse Joy with team ninja physics breasts. And replace master hand with the power glove. And make a new item called Phallic item. And Tingle. And the moon. And the other moon. And that one. And Zelda's Cousins' Sisters' Daughter's pet dog. And Borat.

And some other stuff.
Dude seriously...this isn't a joke. >_>

I don't think... ;_;

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Nothing yet, just some preliminary planning on my part... nothing will start till the Fall semester when I can form a team to work on this.

Black Magician

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to continue the badgering, but Black Mage? He could be a good character, if you could find a way of not making him too similar to Zelda and Lucas, and find a suitable Final Smash, the obvious one (Meteo), being already taken (PK StarStorm).

Just a stupid idea, but could people on the forums help you with this in any way other than suggesting characters/items/stages? Logically, the more people that work on it, the sooner it'll be finished...

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
the goldensun chars > the fire emblem chars lolol i shouldt say that i main marth T_T

but seirously get issac or the guy from goldensun 2! ftw

Spire

III
BRoomer
I can draw/paint great backgrounds for stages if you want.

Speaking of such, has anyone figured out how to hack the stage builder to edit the background textures?

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Tabuu must be playable, with the Smash simbol as his simbol.

And make sure Ridley's top tier!

antimatter

Smash Lord
Tires Don Exits! and I agree, Tabuu is a must for playability. I actually hoped he was playable when I first saw him.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Oh, and to add a few ideas for playable characters:

A) As mentioned a few posts above, Tabuu as a playable character kind of breaks the, "no original Smash Bros. characters as playable." However, it is an idea to think about -- Tabuu, Master Hand, or perhaps your own original character?

B) Character-creation mode. Yeah, it might be a far stretch for this game, but imagine a set amount (including unlockable parts) of body parts and what not that could go with one another. It would require a huge amount of organization and what not -- like what parts could and could not fit together, and how they would match any type of "skeleton" that you make. Perhaps you could have a number of skeletons such as: lightweight, middleweight, and heavyweight fighters, and different body pieces would correspond with the different weights so you wouldn't have lightweight arms, middleweight legs, and a heavyweight torso -- which would essentially break the skeleton and allow for a ridiculously unbalanced character. The mode would be limited, but would provide a means of character-creation, which I feel is essential for those that want to play beyond the limited roster.

C) Just a personal request -- Bomberman.

_Slick_

Smash Ace
Nothing yet, just some preliminary planning on my part... nothing will start till the Fall semester when I can form a team to work on this.
Fall would be...when again? I'm Southern Hemisphere...

And of course, I volunteer to help, I have sent you a PM.

Lucario AND Mewtwo would've been awesome. :D
I would suggest Mewtwo as just an alt. costume for Lucario or vice-versa, if possible.

Speaking of such, has anyone figured out how to hack the stage builder to edit the background textures?
Is that even possible? I don't think anyone has of yet.

Tabuu must be playable, with the Smash simbol as his simbol.

And make sure Ridley's top tier!
No. No Tabuu please...wait...Red Ring of Death FS... :dizzy: That'd be very unbalanced.

No tiers please, just balance out characters...

How do you run homebrew on a DS? do you have to crack it like the PSP, or can you get an SDK?
You need a NDS flash-cart, possibly R4 or M3 Simply.

Oh, and to add a few ideas for playable characters:

A) As mentioned a few posts above, Tabuu as a playable character kind of breaks the, "no original Smash Bros. characters as playable." However, it is an idea to think about -- Tabuu, Master Hand, or perhaps your own original character?

B) Character-creation mode. Yeah, it might be a far stretch for this game, but imagine a set amount (including unlockable parts) of body parts and what not that could go with one another. It would require a huge amount of organization and what not -- like what parts could and could not fit together, and how they would match any type of "skeleton" that you make. Perhaps you could have a number of skeletons such as: lightweight, middleweight, and heavyweight fighters, and different body pieces would correspond with the different weights so you wouldn't have lightweight arms, middleweight legs, and a heavyweight torso -- which would essentially break the skeleton and allow for a ridiculously unbalanced character. The mode would be limited, but would provide a means of character-creation, which I feel is essential for those that want to play beyond the limited roster.

C) Just a personal request -- Bomberman.
A) I'm 50/50...

B) That'd would be good, but possibly incredibly hard. I would just ask for the option of placing characters in the game like the PSP Smash Bros.

C) *Agrees* :)

Leon from R4 or Paper Mario PLOX.
Paper Mario. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME.

Top Bottom