• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Character Hit & Give

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
If we are going to do this again, we are going to have to implement a mechanism to prevent Yoshi lovers (and alts) from taking over the game (again at least). Luckily, I have a solution...

CHARIZARD92'S PATENT PENDING HIT AND GIVE SAFETY KILL SWITCH!

I shall explain any questions, in fact, I'll give some out on my own.

How does it work?
A: When a certain character has gotten consecutive points from another character, the switch appears, the switch requires you to pull three levers in order to automatically eliminate a character with the potential for dominating the hit and give. in the off position, it looks like this:

iii

you can pull one switch at a time, and when it looks like this:

!!!

that character is eliminated.

Is this on all the time?

No, once a character has reached a certain amount of consecutive votes, the switch triggers.

Explain.

Here are some examples:

if this happens

a: 10
b: 4
c:4
d:4
e:4
f:4

and A gets all those points consecutively, or:

b: 0

the switch turns active on character a.

how many does it take to activate the Switch?
depends on how much last place has, in round one, it would take five consecutive votes, but after the first elimination it switches to the lowest score. to prevent automatic trigger, the minimum is three consecutive votes. The number will go up after later rounds.

How many times can I pull a switch?
only when you vote, which means once per day when you vote, you get to pull the switch.

Can I put a switch back in the off position?
only once two switches were pulled on the mechanism. to avoid confusion here are some models:

once ah character has reached here !!i, you can pull one switch off so it is like this !ii. you cannot pull back the first switch.

can I deactivate this?
no, however, if the character has managed to reach the final three, the switch deactivates on its own.

what happens to the points?

they get evenly spread across the remaining characters, so the score reverts to even, it can save a last place character from elimination, but it cannot send them into first.

How does this total change?
once a character is eliminated, the lowest score becomes the amount needed to trigger the device.

What if there are leftover points?
a second meter will appear. once this meter shows up, you can add points to characters, but you can't subtract them. Once this meter goes back to 0, the rules are back to normal.

I know this sounds like a horrible idea, but how many ideas do you have from preventing this again?

Frown

poekmon
If we are going to do this again, we are going to have to implement a mechanism to prevent Yoshi lovers (and alts) from taking over the game (again at least). Luckily, I have a solution...

How does it work?
A: When a certain character has gotten consecutive points from another character, the switch appears, the switch requires you to pull three levers in order to automatically eliminate a character with the potential for dominating the hit and give. in the off position, it looks like this:

iii

!!!

Is this on all the time?

No, once a character has reached a certain amount of consecutive votes, the switch triggers.

Explain.

Here are some examples:

if this happens

depends on how much last place has, in round one, it would take five consecutive votes, but after the first elimination it switches to the lowest score. to prevent automatic trigger, the minimum is three consecutive votes. The number will go up after later rounds.

only when you vote, which means once per day when you vote, you get to pull the switch.

only once two switches were pulled on the mechanism. to avoid confusion here are some models:

once ah character has reached here !!i, you can pull one switch off so it is like this !ii. you cannot pull back the first switch.

can I deactivate this?
no, however, if the character has managed to reach the final three, the switch deactivates on its own.

they get evenly spread across the remaining characters, so the score reverts to even, it can save a last place character from elimination, but it cannot send them into first.

once a character is eliminated, the lowest score becomes the amount needed to trigger the device.

a second meter will appear. once this meter shows up, you can add points to characters, but you can't subtract them. Once this meter goes back to 0, the rules are back to normal.

I know this sounds like a horrible idea, but how many ideas do you have from preventing this again?
Nah.

10charizard92s

TheSundanceKid

Smash Lord

How does it work?

iii

!!!

Is this on all the time?

Explain.

Here are some examples:

if this happens

can I deactivate this?

Nope...sorry too confusing and weird...

Kirby: 32
Yoshi:108

Defender

Smash Rookie
Kirby: 32-1=31
Yoshi: 108+1=109

Easy copy version:

Kirby: 31
Yoshi: 109

Charizard92, I understand that the current situation is probably not fun for the losing party, and I like the fact that you took the time to come up with something to try to prevent that, but isn't this what's supposed to happen? I mean, isn't one character supposed to end up winning the hit and give with all 140 points? The only way for that to happen is for every other character to get defeated. If your system was implemented, (and please don't take this badly, this is only constructive critisism, and, like I said before, I think that it's great that you took the time to come up with an idea) it would actually punish a character for doing well, or at least make the fans of the character that is doing well try to space their votes so that they never give the trigger a chance to appear.

If only you would use your creative powers for good and not evil (i.e.: for Yoshi and against the other characters). :) Just kidding.

Oh, and by the way, I really want to extend a big thanks to all those who helped to keep the scores correct and watch out for accidental mistakes.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
Kirby: 28+1=29
Yoshi: 112-1=111

Kirby is like Termina during the Midnight of the Third day, awaiting his destruction...

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Charizard92, I understand that the current situation is probably not fun for the losing party, and I like the fact that you took the time to come up with something to try to prevent that, but isn't this what's supposed to happen? I mean, isn't one character supposed to end up winning the hit and give with all 140 points? The only way for that to happen is for every other character to get defeated. If your system was implemented, (and please don't take this badly, this is only constructive critisism, and, like I said before, I think that it's great that you took the time to come up with an idea) it would actually punish a character for doing well, or at least make the fans of the character that is doing well try to space their votes so that they never give the trigger a chance to appear.

If only you would use your creative powers for good and not evil
Yeah, but in this case it wasn't really an even (or evenish) spread, but instead Yoshi essentially stole it essentially. they are, the device deactivates at the final three or so due to the fact that at that time consecutive votes are expected. This was made to make sure that nobody can perform gang-up on a certain character without facing the consequences (so if Yoshi fans were to gang up on, lets say, Pikachu, Yoshi fans are going to have to wait until someone voted for someone else thus breaking up the gang-up temporarily or have Yoshi suddenly stare at the barrel of..., I'll go with a shotgun)

To simplify, to prevent something like a fan base from completely destroying the Hit & Give, this device was made to make sure that, if you (and your alts) plan to make a certain character win, you can't destroy the game, or you can lose yourself. Besides, there is a way to prevent elimination. This is to make it fair for the characters that are being ganged up on and prevent one sided-ness. This was made for good, and not evil.

Defender

Smash Rookie
Kirby: 22-1=21
Yoshi: 118+1=119

Easy copy version:

Kirby: 21
Yoshi: 119

Yeah, but in this case it wasn't really an even (or evenish) spread, but instead Yoshi essentially stole it essentially. they are, the device deactivates at the final three or so due to the fact that at that time consecutive votes are expected. This was made to make sure that nobody can perform gang-up on a certain character without facing the consequences (so if Yoshi fans were to gang up on, lets say, Pikachu, Yoshi fans are going to have to wait until someone voted for someone else thus breaking up the gang-up temporarily or have Yoshi suddenly stare at the barrel of..., I'll go with a shotgun)

To simplify, to prevent something like a fan base from completely destroying the Hit & Give, this device was made to make sure that, if you (and your alts) plan to make a certain character win, you can't destroy the game, or you can lose yourself. Besides, there is a way to prevent elimination. This is to make it fair for the characters that are being ganged up on and prevent one sided-ness. This was made for good, and not evil.
OK, so this was more of a gang-up prevention rule. That makes more sense. However, that's part of this game's charm. You get to make alliances and the like so that tactics can make a huge difference in this game. Besides, if the game is open to everyone, then it is going to be something of a popularity contest. If you wanted to take away the popularity aspect of the game, a rule could be established that forbade more than, say, ten people from voting for an individual character each day. That way alliances would be more important than sheer numbers.

Oh, and about the "if only you would use your creativity for good and not evil," I wasn't meaning to say that your proposed rule was for evil. I just think that you are a cool guy and wish that you were on Yoshi's side.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Yoshi: 119

OK, so this was more of a gang-up prevention rule. That makes more sense. However, that's part of this game's charm. You get to make alliances and the like so that tactics can make a huge difference in this game. Besides, if the game is open to everyone, then it is going to be something of a popularity contest. If you wanted to take away the popularity aspect of the game, a rule could be established that forbade more than, say, ten people from voting for an individual character each day. That way alliances would be more important than sheer numbers.

Oh, and about the "if only you would use your creativity for good and not evil," I wasn't meaning to say that your proposed rule was for evil. I just think that you are a cool guy and wish that you were on Yoshi's side.
Wasn't it supposed to be a popularity contest?!

Well, when you tried out a certain character who hasn't changed across the series and thought they were terrible, you don't like them. I hate both Yoshi and Peach for this reason (Peach is also compounded by the opinion that she is somewhat like Barbie, who I also hate)

Defender

Smash Rookie
Kirby: 19-1=18
Yoshi: 121+1=122

Easy copy version:

Kirby: 18
Yoshi: 122

Wasn't it supposed to be a popularity contest?!

Well, when you tried out a certain character who hasn't changed across the series and thought they were terrible, you don't like them. I hate both Yoshi and Peach for this reason (Peach is also compounded by the opinion that she is somewhat like Barbie, who I also hate)
Yes, it was supposed to be a popularity contest, and that is what has me so miffed. Yoshi is doing exactly what he's supposed to do. He's winning because a bunch of his fans voted for him. What exactly is wrong with that? I mean, what's to prevent any of the fans of the other characters from getting the word out so that the fans of their character will vote? Maybe Yoshi doesn't need to get penalized in future games. Maybe the fans of the other characters need to do like the Yoshi fans did. If you look at the Yoshi portion of the forums, you'll see that the Yoshi fans did an excellent job of getting the word out and coordinating their attacks. That's not unfair. That's smart, and why should Yoshi be penalized just because his fans were smart?

I'll agree that Yoshi hasn't gotten too much better over the Smash series, lol, but I don't play him because he's good, I play him because I like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom