• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Character Hit & Give

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Guess why you won:

A: Yoshi is not as sucky as people believe.
B: Yoshi fans managed to get together and destroy the competition
C: alts
D: most of the Yoshi haters left
E: any combination of the above

The answer is, E, all these things were true (except possibly C).

Seriously, how do you make Yoshi not suck? (aka, how are you supposed to be playing him?)

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
Guess why you won:

Seriously, how do you make Yoshi not suck? (aka, how are you supposed to be playing him?)
um... how about playing against a good Yoshi player? I heard that's a really good start to knowing how Yoshi doesn't suck.

Anyone says we are using alts is a cry baby ***** who seriously needs to get a life. IT IS JUST A FORUM GAME!

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Note the parentheses after the answer (except possibly C), which means it is unlikely you stooped down to the level of cheating. I was asking strategy too as well (he's a hit and run character right?)

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity
Guess why you won:

Not a bad question. I'm willing to give what i know. It's isn't a rant of any matter, just a view of using Yoshi.

First of all, it's not a matter of making him "not suck". It's all about adapting to his fighting style. Yoshi's move set strive in aerial combos, standard and tilt ground combos, understanding his range and mastering the special moves. Neither of which are the best in the game, but still can work effectively if used correctly.

Yoshi has a aerial move for almost every situation. Two combos aerials (b-aerial and d-aerial), a meteor smasher(or forward attack. Depending on how to time everything up.), and two knock outs (up and standard aerial. ) Now understand that yoshi's aerials aren't the strongest or have the best range, but he has one of the best air speed in the game. You can use that to allow your attack to act first or to pull yourself out quick enough in order evade an attack, or/and aerial dodge, and respond.

On the ground. Yoshi's better moves are his standard foot jabs and tilts. They all have good priority and range. Now of course, Yoshi have some good smash attacks, but in my opinion, their knock drop down pretty bad the more you use them. Keep them fresh, and use them incase the enemy goofs up or after nailing a successful combo because they seem a little more gimpable than his smaller attacks. Stronger, but gimpable. How effective is saving his smash attacks? With his smash attacks or knock out attacks fresh, I was able to KO around 120% or lower; however, if you constantly abuse it or barely tap people with them then it drags on to 150% and so on. Now this doesn't mean that there nothing you can do to stop the weakening knockback. Just go back to using his standards, grabs, and tilts. You'll be fine afterwards. The Down smash is the only acception to the kill rule. It's best to get the enemy off of you or for edge guarding. it's knockback is very lackluster compare to the other moves.

His specials are effective, but must be used very intellegently. Once slip up and you'll find yourself screwed. The egg lay is quick but predictable. use it for a surprise attack and abide it's range. This is where people screw this move up. Doing this too close or too far will leave you wide opening. Now it's also stronger if the opponent has a lot of damage. So say if your opponent wants edge guard when you're trying to comeback to the field. Adjust the distance and eat them. If they're damage is high, this move can send them falling to their doom (Depending on their recovery skills. )The egg roll is a powerful move that can cancel out a lot of attacks and has good knoackback. It's NOT a recovery! Use it off the ground and you'll fall straight down, plus once you pop out, you can't jump in the air. The Yoshi bomb was nerfed if used in the air. but if you have the case where a enemy is extremely close to you and you have the oppotunity, you'll launch both of you in the air and and add attack them with way more knockback! And ace in the hole that I'm still learning to work in a good situation. The favorite of the Yoshi mains is the egg throw. Toss that egg and set your enemy up for danger! It can be use for edge guarding, attacking, comboing, annoying...ing, and faking. You might want to miss on purpose and BAM! Knock them out as soon as they done dodging or once their shield is down. It a very multi-purpose move. A note for his recovery, this can be use before or after this second jump. Using it before can help keep an edge from sending you flying. using it after can help you move over the edgeguarding foe. Choose wisely.

The grab, because of his pivot grab, his one of my favorites in his moveset. His normal grab his very laggy and if you missed, you're screwed. But his pivot grab his once of the best in the game. It's the same grab minus the starting lag. None of his grabs can KO, but are excellent for combos. Just make sure you plot your move out so the enemy doesn't kick your butt for eating them. They really hate that. XD His standard chewing is great for refreshing your moveset. But it's prefered for when your opponent has more damage or they'll just pop right out.

Sidestepping and sheilding his effective too. Just make sure you practic spot shielding can get use to his lag. Don't rely on roll dodging so much, it's a little slower than everyone else, can be attacked in mid-roll easier and is very predictable.

Overall I'll say that if you want your moves to be effective. I'll say this: Abide Yoshi's range! He's like a sword smasher with no sword. Sure you can hit them close, but it's best to attack them at the distance. Watch how you move. Going Rambo and running into the fight blindly like a lunatic isn't Yoshi's forte'. Play it smart and think ahead. Walk and jump sometimes to evade and respond. Keep your cool and have a focus mind.

This is how I use Yoshi. I play better with a focus mind. Yoshi may have endurance, but he isn't a character with much room for error. Also, Just play for fun. Have a blast a plot out steps. The other Yoshi mains can debates this and add more because they know alot more advance techinques than I do.(I'm still trying to get use to L-jumping.) But that's my insight on how to use Yoshi. Hope you learn a little for reading it. If you try to use use Yoshi, just know that using him will mean a couple of hard butt-kickings at first,(Not good for beginners. another reason to why people turn him down.) but once you get use to him, you'll be a very effective force of reckoning and trickery.

The lag online is also an horrible enemy for Yoshi users as well. For me at least. -_-; Also, the whole tier tournement issue. Yoshi users are of few supply... well ones that can apper in those big fancy tournments. I use to live in jacksonville Florida, now I'm living in the University of Florida(No Wi-fi gaming :(). I don't really think I can find a big tournment around here without going out city limits.

I went to a good amount of small tournments in jacksonville, and won a few. If I didn't win, I came pretty high. The lowest I made was 6th place. Hey, 6 out of 16 isn't that bad. I would tell people about them. But I doubt anyone would give a crap about them. Oh well, I play for fun anyway. :)

Here's a link to the Yoshi boards for more info. http://smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Well, I kinda found out that the moves have to be used well, namely after all those cpu Yoshi suicides (cpu's are my only option). Well, it sounds like Yoshi isn't the suckiest character anymore.. So he is a great air gamer, OK, well, as a PT mainer, he also has great/OK/good air game from Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard respectively (Squirtle is well known, Ivysaur is mainly for the Uair, and Charizard has better things to do...).

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity
Well, I kinda found out that the moves have to be used well, namely after all those cpu Yoshi suicides (cpu's are my only option). Well, it sounds like Yoshi isn't the suckiest character anymore.. So he is a great air gamer, OK, well, as a PT mainer, he also has great/OK/good air game from Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard respectively (Squirtle is well known, Ivysaur is mainly for the Uair, and Charizard has better things to do...).
Understandable. Squirtle has priority,even though he's small and has short reach. But his moves have a elemental reach at times that adds to his priority. Charizard has strength, and reach. However, I thought Ivysaur was the aerial master. Eh, PT not my main so what do I now.

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
a little advice: NEVER judge Yoshi by his CPU. You dunno how a true Yoshi plays if you only know its CPU. It doesn't even know that egg throw can help him recover >.> reminds me of CPU Melee Luigi not knowing his up B.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
@Pidgey14: the Cpu's are a show on how careful you have to be, as they suicide often when they don't have a sense of carefulness

@Yoshiunity: this is why a lot of people think PT sucks, practically nobody knows him. While Ivy does have an air game, it is the least recommended of the three. Ivysaur is best of standing still and spamming projectiles. His (or her) air game is not much more than to add to his defensive style, and also double as holding two of its best killers (Uair and Dair are killer, beware)

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
@Pidgey14: the Cpu's are a show on how careful you have to be, as they suicide often when they don't have a sense of carefulness

@Yoshiunity: this is why a lot of people think PT sucks, practically nobody knows him. While Ivy does have an air game, it is the least recommended of the three. Ivysaur is best of standing still and spamming projectiles. His (or her) air game is not much more than to add to his defensive style, and also double as holding two of its best killers (Uair and Dair are killer, beware)
bold text: The same with Yoshi. People are judging Yoshi without knowing a single thing about him, yet they believe them rather than the mains. It really pisses me off

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Two things we have in common. I am sorry for previous prejudice against Yoshi. If there is any Peach fan who can convince anyone that she doesn't suck/isn't as girlish as Barbie, please tell me, it is the only shot.

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity

Welcome to our world. Nobody knows and refuses to know yoshi. I don't think any character sucks honestly. Although there are some that I hate, I beileve that all characters have a fighting style that will appeal to anyone out there. I test out PT some times. Good to know Ivysaur's strength. Although, I'm combo'd a lot in the air due to the vines when attacked by an ivysaur. I probably just need to work on my aerial approach more.

and yes, like Pidgey said. Don't judge yoshi by the CPU. It's ********. Doesn't even know that it can use it's egg throw as a recovery. and he STILL mostly tries to eat you at idiotic times. -_-; And it's cool man. You at least listened to us. Everyone else who reads our explanation would probably think we're BS'ing around.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
@ Yoshiunity: it isn't that it sucks, it's that Yoshi CPUs are not careful (and stupid) and serve as a warning if you aren't as careful

@Bigman40: OK, note taken, so who is the character that outright sucks in Brawl if it isn't Yoshi, Peach, or PT?

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity
@ Yoshiunity: it isn't that it sucks, it's that Yoshi CPUs are not careful (and stupid) and serve as a warning if you aren't as careful

@Bigman40: OK, note taken, so who is the character that outright sucks in Brawl if it isn't Yoshi, Peach, or PT?

I don't see a character that outright sucks. It only depends on what characters have issues with others. Ex. Yoshi's have issues with MK. because of his reach a speed. Also Pikachu is a issue due to his electricity and speed. But he excels against Olimar due to his moveset easily kills stray pikmin and is golden for edge guarding. Also Sonic, because Sonic moveset is mostly using his spin move. Eat him or using his range advantage.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
True, plus the fact that Meta Knight is the closest thing to broken in this game (Snake is also at the same spot)

bigman40

Smash Master
Actually, Yoshi can fight a meta fairly well. The worst for Yoshi would be Zelda, GW, or Falco.

There really isn't a character who outright sucks atm until we know how every character can play. Right now, people have opinions about who's the worst. I think that once the first tier list is out, people can start finding out who's the actual worst in this game.

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity
True, plus the fact that Meta Knight is the closest thing to broken in this game (Snake is also at the same spot)
The funny thing is that MK can't really be declared broken. He has a very speedy reach, but his moves doesn't equal jack. So he's a definete combo character. Now I'll say that is priority should be questioned, but overall. he's in the same boat as Ike. Don't run at him.

Snake, I can say i'd definetely considered mostly broken. I'm cool for his tilts being as strong as smashes due to his smash moves being difficult to use. But his standards should not send people flying that far that early.

Mr.GandW is another one. His smash moves can kill at 80% WTF?! and his tilts can KO early as well. not to mention he has priority.

I don't have any real beef with these characters. I used all three of them as third strings. It's just that Sakurai has issue to fix once the fourth smash bros(a definete possiblitiy) comes out. I also pray for no more spammable moves.-_-;

Actually, Yoshi can fight a meta fairly well. The worst for Yoshi would be Zelda, GW, or Falco.

There really isn't a character who outright sucks atm until we know how every character can play. Right now, people have opinions about who's the worst. I think that once the first tier list is out, people can start finding out who's the actual worst in this game.
Eh, It must be the way I play then. I can beat a good MK, although it's never a easy fight for me. The Zelda and GandW are true. Zelda( Especially the CPU Zelda spot shielding and smashing all the time.) is a hige issue for me. Her moves should had slowed down in order to have that much power and priority. Same with GandW. I also have issues with Pit and Toon link.

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
Captain Falcon is a terrible match-up for Yoshi since he has Falcon Punch.... Falcon Punch is really strong.... and Yoshi doesn't have one... and it makes his fist be on fire.... I'm done.
That must mean he is a terrible match-up for everyone else, except from Kirby if he does copy ability. :p

Frown

poekmon
Not a bad question. I'm willing to give what i know. It's isn't a rant of any matter, just a view of using Yoshi.

First of all, it's not a matter of making him "not suck". It's all about adapting to his fighting style. Yoshi's move set strive in aerial combos, standard and tilt ground combos, understanding his range and mastering the special moves. Neither of which are the best in the game, but still can work effectively if used correctly.

Yoshi has a aerial move for almost every situation. Two combos aerials (b-aerial and d-aerial), a meteor smasher(or forward attack. Depending on how to time everything up.), and two knock outs (up and standard aerial. ) Now understand that yoshi's aerials aren't the strongest or have the best range, but he has one of the best air speed in the game. You can use that to allow your attack to act first or to pull yourself out quick enough in order evade an attack, or/and aerial dodge, and respond.

On the ground. Yoshi's better moves are his standard foot jabs and tilts. They all have good priority and range. Now of course, Yoshi have some good smash attacks, but in my opinion, their knock drop down pretty bad the more you use them. Keep them fresh, and use them incase the enemy goofs up or after nailing a successful combo because they seem a little more gimpable than his smaller attacks. Stronger, but gimpable. How effective is saving his smash attacks? With his smash attacks or knock out attacks fresh, I was able to KO around 120% or lower; however, if you constantly abuse it or barely tap people with them then it drags on to 150% and so on. Now this doesn't mean that there nothing you can do to stop the weakening knockback. Just go back to using his standards, grabs, and tilts. You'll be fine afterwards. The Down smash is the only acception to the kill rule. It's best to get the enemy off of you or for edge guarding. it's knockback is very lackluster compare to the other moves.

His specials are effective, but must be used very intellegently. Once slip up and you'll find yourself screwed. The egg lay is quick but predictable. use it for a surprise attack and abide it's range. This is where people screw this move up. Doing this too close or too far will leave you wide opening. Now it's also stronger if the opponent has a lot of damage. So say if your opponent wants edge guard when you're trying to comeback to the field. Adjust the distance and eat them. If they're damage is high, this move can send them falling to thir doom (Depending on their recovery skills. )The egg roll is a powerful move that can cancel out a lot of attacks and has good knoackback. It's NOT a recovery! Use it off the ground and you'll fall straight down, plus once you pop out, you can't jump in the air. The Yoshi bomb was nerfed if used in the air. but if you have the case where a enemy is extremely close to you and you have the oppotunity, you'll launch both of you in the air and and add attack them with way more knockback! And ace in the hole that I'm still learning to work in a good situation. The favorite of the Yoshi mains is the egg throw. Toss that egg and set your enemy up for danger! It can be use for edge guarding, attacking, comboing, annoying...ing, and faking. You might want to miss on purpose and BAM! Knock them out as soon as they done dodging or once their shield is down. It a very multi-purpose move.

The grab, because of his pivot grab, his one of my favorites in his moveset. His normal grab his very laggy and if you missed, you're screwed. But his pivot grab his once of the best in the game. It's the same grab minus the starting lag. None of his grabs can KO, but are excellent for combos. Just make sure you plot your move out so the enemy doesn't kick your butt for eating them. They really hate that. XD His standard chewing is great for refreshing your moveset. But it's prefered for when your opponent has more damage or they'll just pop right out.

Sidestepping and sheilding his effective too. Just make sure you practic spot shielding can get use to his lag. Don't rely on roll dodging so much, it's a little slower than everyone else, can be attacked in mid-roll easier and is very predictable.

Overall I'll say that if you want your moves to be effective. I'll say this: Abide Yoshi's range! He's like a sword smasher with no sword. Sure you can hit them close, but it's best to attack them at the distance. Watch how you move. Going Rambo and running into the fight blindly like a lunatic isn't Yoshi's forte'. Play it smart and think ahead. Walk and jump sometimes to evade and respond. Keep your cool and have a focus mind.

This is how I use Yoshi. I play better with a focus mind. Yoshi may have endurance, but he isn't a character with much room for error. Also, Just play for fun. Have a blast a plot out steps. The other Yoshi mains can debates this and add more because they know alot more advance techinques than I do.(I'm still trying to get use to L-jumping.) But that's my insight on how to use Yoshi. Hope you learn a little for reading it. If you try to use use Yoshi, just know that using him will mean a couple of hard butt-kickings at first,(Not good for beginners. another reason to why people turn him down.) but once you get use to him, you'll be a very effective force of reckoning and trickery.

The lag online is also an horrible enemy for Yoshi users as well. For me at least. -_-;

Here's a link to the Yoshi boards for more info. http://smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156
Don't forget to add 10char.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
JESUS, YOU YOSHI MAINS.

How the hell did Yoshi get over 150 votes?!?
Guess why they won:

I have no Idea (and doubt they will hit the level) if alts were truly used (read the parenthesis)

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Maybe, now how do we let someone else win? (No offense Yoshi fans, but we really need someone else to win)

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
What the crap? Did we start the game with random values and characters? Or did the above poster not read the whole thread before posting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom