• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Mario Bros. Characters Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Luigi makes sense. Own lore... yep. Individual characters, E. Gadd, ghosts. Gameplay, that is true. Art style, yeah... Qualifies for that. Luigi's mansion has or will have (I don't know if it is released yet) 2 games. So why not Luigi getting luigi's mansion!? If you think about it, why don't we put in lots of characters from random series' in mario! The elder star from mario party 3! Wart from doki doki panic but mainly Mario and Luigi! It doesn't matter! If you ask me, paper mario is a little bit like Geno imo. I mean, they are both mario characters with a fairly low chance, they both have a fan base (except paper mario far larger than others) apparently they can both bring new aspects to the series... Obviously Paper mario has a far larger chance than paper mario, but anyway... Mario seems to have 2 front runners, Bowser junior and Toad, and then the under-dog, WAAAAAAAAH. We then have loads of side characters, paper mario, geno, rosalina, daisy, with fairly large followings (excpet Geno) but with a small chance of getting in. Just my opinion.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Fast, nimble powerhouse? Pichu also sort of qualifies for those features, and could share a similar weakness with Toad, that being low ranged and extremely frail. So he could go any way, depending on how they utalize him.
Well, at least Toad wouldn't be able to hurt himself like Pichu does with electricity unless you want Toad to hurt himself by poisoning himself with Poison Mushrooms. :troll:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
@ Jigglover i don't see how you can compare Luigi's Mansion's story to that of Paper Mario's. There is ONE game with hardly any outside story besides the fact that King Boo kidnaps Mario. There is far more story to Paper Mario. Luigi is predominately and always will be in the Mario series. End of story. He is the second most important character to the series. The series is called Super Mario Bros. for a reason. Why would they ever take half of the duo?

Paper Mario isn't really like Geno either. Geno was created in a 3rd party developed game whereas Paper mario is a first party product. The probability of them being in Smash are nothing close to each other really.

Saying Paper Mario can "apparently" bring something unique to the table is an understatement. He has endless possibilities for his moveset based on his 4 games. All of the Mario candidates do really. You can't discount any of them there. Aside from that, the other side characters aren't even close to the top four. those being Bowser jr., Toad, Waluigi, Paper Mario. The other characters you listed aren't even heavily requested

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
IMO, the most likely to the least likely would be:

1. Toad - because he is 1st party (EAD) protagonist
2. Bowser Jr. - because he is 1st party (EAD) antagonist
3. Paper Mario - because he is 1st party (Intelligent Systems) protagonist (because EAD >>>>> Intelligent Systems and besides I believe they would rather put in a new Fire Emblem character like Chrom over Paper Mario anyway)
4. Waluigi - because he is 2nd party (Camelot) character (since he's not really a protagonist or an antagonist when he is just one of the selectable playable characters in many Mario spin-off games)
5. Geno - because he is a 3rd party (Square Enix) party member

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Just because Waluigi was created by Camelot doesn't mean he is co-owned by them, unlike someone like Isaac (who's entire IP was created by Camelot). If Camelot owned or co-owned any part of the character, they would be credited in every game he appears in, which they aren't.

With the exception of the SMRPG characters (who are an anomaly), by and large if a character is created by a 2nd party for an existing 1st party IP, the 1st party retains the rights to that character.

That said, personally I would rank the likelihood:
1. Bowser Jr.
2. Waluigi
3. Toad
4. Paper Mario
5. Geno

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Well, at least Toad wouldn't be able to hurt himself like Pichu does with electricity unless you want Toad to hurt himself by poisoning himself with Poison Mushrooms. :troll:
To be honest, I do envision Toad to being quite like Pichu. A very quick character who may be light; however, possesses surprising power. Of course, Toad wouldn't hurt himself or "self-destruct" with his move. :p If done right, I think a character possessing Pichu's good traits has potential to be good and Toad can definitely fit this role.

Also what do you guys think about Toad's new form of the Flying Squirrel power-up from NSMB U. It seems to have potential as a recovery move too. :awesome: Shooting in an arch like shape or simply gliding is the function of the form. Of course, I prefer the Propeller, but this move is relatively new and has potential too as a recovery move for Toad.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe Toad's Flying Squirrel Suit could be used for gliding? We all know Toad is such a poor jumper and that's why Toad needs Propeller Suit for vertical recovery and Flying Squirrel Suit for horizontal recovery. :awesome:

And hey, it would be interesting to see a wingless character who can glide.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, I rank them by likelyness and reason, imo.

1. Paper Mario - Sticker Star is out, He's really popular anyway.
2. Bowser Jr. - Bowser's right hand and... son. Appearing in all major titles.
3. Toad - He's been around for a long time, and a regular in spin-offs.
4. Waluigi - Assist trophy in Brawl. Another regular in the spin-offs. Can't understand why he was't in Mario Kart 7.
5. Hammer Bro. - (My fav.) Assist trophy in Brawl.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Andross was an assist trophy in Brawl. That does not help his chances. Also, there are much more reconalizable Mario enemies than Hammer Bro. Such as Koopa, Boo, Goomba and Shy Guy

:phone:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
above everything i said imo i think the most important thing is hoping that Wario stays...
replacing wario with waluigi would hands down be the stupidest thing i have ever seen!

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Maybe Toad's Flying Squirrel Suit could be used for gliding? We all know Toad is such a poor jumper and that's why Toad needs Propeller Suit for vertical recovery and Flying Squirrel Suit for horizontal recovery. :awesome:

And hey, it would be interesting to see a wingless character who can glide.
Well technically gliding isn't the only thing that Flying Squirrel Toad can do. Apparently, he can either glide in the air or shoot himself in the air in a diagonal pattern while fluttering down after performing the boost.

But hey, I'm fine with horizontal and vertical recoveries for Toad. :smirk:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Squirrel is my least favorite flying power EVER.

I really liked propeller had in the previous game. It kind of made the game really easy, but it's easy to use.

Squirrel power is ANNOYING to use

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Squirrel is my least favorite flying power EVER.

I really liked propeller had in the previous game. It kind of made the game really easy, but it's easy to use.

Squirrel power is ANNOYING to use
I agree, the squirrel power is IMO kinda dumb and personally I found it fairly similar to past Mario powerups (ofc there are differences, but from what I played, I wasn't a huge fan). However, my least favorite flying power will always be this.

[COLLAPSE="You've gotta bee joking."]
[/COLLAPSE]
He looks absolutely ridiculous. I also just wasn't that fond of the bee galaxies, and I'm still mad at Honey Queen for taking a perfectly good character spot in MK7. :glare:

I did like the propeller hat as well though, if Toad is included hopefully he'll use it as part of his moveset. One of the things I quite like about he plays in Crusade.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I disagree. While Bee Power sucked, I liked it. I guess it's just because I found it ridiculous

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My favorite flying power-ups are:

1. Blue Yoshi
2. Cape Feather
3. Wing Cap
4. Tanooki Suit
5. Propeller Mushroom

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I never considered Yoshi's a power up

Mine would be
1) Tanooki
2) Propeller
3) Cape
4) Rabbit (close enough)
5) Bee

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I disagree. While Bee Power sucked, I liked it. I guess it's just because I found it ridiculous
Fair enough, I could see how some others would like it, I like Balloon Mario because I think it's ridiculous, but I guess this is just personal taste. Plus... I just don't like bees. :laugh:

Anyway, my top 5 flying-power-ups are:

1. Cape
2. Wing Cap
3. Raccoon Mario
4. Propeller
5. Flying Mario

With honorable mention ofc to Balloon Mario cuz of the lulz it caused for me. ;)

D

Deleted member

bump...

The Mario thread has been dead for too long. Seems like a good time to bring it back.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Jr. and Toad all the way!

D

Deleted member

My support goes to Paper Mario, Toad and Bowser Junior for the spot. I would also love Geno, though at this rate it looks increasingly unlikely that he ever gets in.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ranking of characters based on my opinion of chances:

1. Bowser Jr
2. Dr. Mario
3. Waluigi
4. Toad
5. Paper Mario
6. Daisy
7. Rosalina
8. Geno

Ranking based on what I desire:

1. Dr. Mario
2. Bowser Jr.
3. Geno
4. Paper Mario
5. Waluigi
6. Toad
7. Rosalina
8. Daisy

I do eventually see one day, perhaps by Smash 6, Daisy, Waluigi, and Bowser Jr. all being in the Smash roster. They appear in about every other Mario spin-off as it is. Rosalina also has a good shot.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toad has to be playable this time. Do it, Sakurai! I feel Toad earned his spot on the roster.

D

Deleted member

I would have to say unless Sakurai seriously considers Geno due to his surge of popularity and requests after he had already finalized the Roster in Brawl, Bowser Jr. stands the most chance at this point as a Newcomer.
Jr. was pretty much the 2nd most popular Mario character for Brawl after Geno, and at this point in time, Jr.'s popularity for Smash has retained while Geno's has dropped substantially.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Toad, Waluigi, Bowser Jr., and Dr. Mario.
You might be thinking, "That's 8 Mario Reps!" But notice that Pokemon has 6, and is likely to have 7 considering Mewtwo's high chance of returning, and possibly 8 if Mewtwo's new alternate forme is implemented. So, with Mario outselling Pokemon 2:1, I don't see why his series doesn't deserve 8 reps.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Eight Mariokart selectable characters are in Smash. And one of Peach's special attacks is also a driver. So the expanded Mario universe does have quite a bit of representation.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
To be fair, I don't think Sakurai really takes sales in consideration.

A good example is Ike. His games were among the worst selling games in the Fire Emblem series, and yet he got in. Same can be said about the Mother series which got two reps.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Pokemon does have hundreds of possible fighters. The seventeen elements alone are not all represented. I do not think Sakurai is going by sale numbers.

Also, Peach already uses Sports moves for attacks. Some other Mario characters might need to dip into Sport titles for moves which could make them less flavorful.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toad being Peach's neutral special is not a good enough representation. I want a full-fledged playable character, not a cameo appearance whenever I press the B button when I play as Peach. I want to play as Toad.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Adding all of those characters to the game at once when the additions are going to be less as it is? No thanks. i'll take more unique characters that deserve it...like Daisy :troll:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I say Paper Mario has the best chance as a representative. Rosalina, if she draws inspiration from Mario Galaxy innovations, could be a surprise addition.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I'd really like to see paper mario in. The good thing is that I think he has a fantastic chance of making it too. We know two marios isn't out of the realm of possibilities given the existence of toon link and the inclusion of Dr. Mario in melee.

Picture for emphasis.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The fact that Paper Mario as a series is completely different from the normal Mario series games makes him a unique addition I think. You could argue he could be a clone, but I would highly doubt that.

D

Deleted member

Dr. Mario as a series is completely different from normal Mario games, yet Doc was a clone.
Don't count that out for Papes yet.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Does anyone else consider the idea of King Boo at all, or am I a complete nutbag?
I think he'd make a great boss, or perhaps a stage hazard for a new stage based on Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.
I just don't think he should be playable.
Sorry.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Does anyone else consider the idea of King Boo at all, or am I a complete nutbag?
If King Boo somehow made it in I would main him day one.

I could see him as a boss or an assist trophy but not a character sadly.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
King Boo could be another flavorful surprise. However, I think he is less likely than Rosalina(who is not very likely).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom