• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Manga Bros? discussion for a hypothetical Smash clone with anime characters!

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
Hello, this is LunchmanJ. I came to speculate about a possible Smash clone with anime characters. I am NOT talking about Jump Force, but rather one with gameplay directly paralleling Melee or Ultimate. You would play from all of anime's most iconic physical fighters. Such as Goku, Naruto, Luffy, etc.

After Ultimate's DLC finishes, there is little reason for Smash to continue. The game would have 80+ fighters. If somebody wanted to make a sequel or spiritual successor to Smash, this would probably be the best idea for it. Fraymakers is an indie crossover fighter, Rivals is the best at an OC fighter, and attempts like Icons have failed. Making another Project M is probably going to be very difficult without Nintendo's consent.

I say this because putting Goku in Ultimate is very outlandish, and most fans would hate it. As cool as it would be to me, Goku has no place in the "Nintendo fighting game crossover".

Let's discuss potential characters, stages, moveset, and mechanics for this hypothetical game. Who knows? It might even become reality!

Characters
  • Naruto Uzumaki from Naruto Shippuden - The spunky ninja with a demon inside him! His basic playstyle is that of a trickster who can double team opponents with his shadow clones!
  • Sasuke Uchiha from Naruto Shippuden - Naruto's edgy rival who seeks to avenge his slaughtered clan!
  • Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach - A normal teenager with shinigami powers who fights against spiritual opponents! He is a basic swordfighter in the same vein as Ike.
  • Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece - A rubber pirate who wants to find Gol D. Roger's treasure. He is a unique grappler who can stretch his arms and legs for attacks.
  • Son Goku from Dragon Ball Z
  • Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z
  • Gon Freecss from Hunter x Hunter
  • Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Maka and Soul from Soul Eater
  • Izuku Midoriya from My Hero Academia
  • Tanjiro Kamado from Demon Slayer
  • Yuji Itadori from JuJutsu Kaisen
  • Tsuna from Katekyo Hitman Reborn
  • Jotaro Kujo from JoJos Bizarre Adventure
  • Saber/Arturia Pendragon from Fate/stay night
  • Eren Jaeger from Attack on Titan
  • Bam from Tower of God
  • Guts from Berserk
  • Saitama from One Punch Man
  • Kirito from Sword Art Online
DLC
  • Asakura Yoh from Shaman King
  • Yuma Kuga from World Trigger
  • Allen Walker from D. Gray man
  • Pain/Nagato from Naruto Shippuden
  • Rukia Kuchiki from Bleach
  • Frieza from Dragon Ball Z
  • Cell from Dragon Ball Z
  • Killua Zoldyck from Hunter x Hunter
  • Tomura Shigaraki from My Villain Academia
  • Nezuko Kamado from Demon Slayer
  • Giorno Giovanna from JoJos Part 5
  • Gojo Satoru from JuJutsu Kaisen
  • Archer from Fate/stay night

Last edited:

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
By the way, we can also discuss the animes at hand. I'll start (No spoilers).
  • I really like Naruto. It's cheesy but good. To anyone who's never seen it, skip the war arc and Boruto. They elongate the story, and add little of substance. The Pain arc is excellent, and serves as a satisfying ending to the story. Watching the final Naruto vs Sasuke in a YouTube vid will suffice. Otherwise, prepare to watch hundreds of episodes of story ruining drivel. Also make sure to skip filler when watching a long runner. Also Boruto sucks.
  • Bleach is very overrated. I don't like it, because I don't think the Soul Society arc is all that good, and the rest of the arcs line up like dominos. The story gives me a meh feeling, with the fights being handled pretty badly up until the end. Bleach has notable moments of brilliance and originality, but the viewing experience is very unfun. The last arc was the worst of all, but hopefully the 2021 returning anime can fix it.
  • One Piece is a masterpiece. If you like open world storytelling. If you like creative powers and restrained fights. If you like great characters and plotlines. And most of all, if you like massive world shattering events that blow your mind just in that they happen, then One Piece is for you. The art style could be seen as a negative, but people who let that bother them are idiots. Not every anime has to look like Sword Art Online. If anything a little variety is better. I'm watching the anime by skipping filler. I also skipped Skypiea (worst arc), which helped my experience a lot.
  • I have little experience with Dragon Ball, so nothing I can do there.
  • Hunter x Hunter is an anime I've had a falling out with. I used to think it was the greatest thing ever, but I've seen anime that impress me more. It's basically "drunk Yu Yu Hakusho made by your weird uncle". Togashi writes not with ideas, but with internalized assumptions he has about the story itself. For example, give him a simple battle to write, and he'll avoid writing it at any cost (basically Yorknew City). The hiatuses are unbearable. Especially since the current arc is the worst thus far. It's just walls of text between irrelevant characters who you know will die off in inconsequential ways.
  • FMA is a masterpiece, but I'm a stan who loves the original anime and hates Brotherhood.
  • Soul Eater is unique, albeit a bit weak. Essentially being a unique Halloween battle manga. But after episode 25 ish, the series just became trash. This is both in the anime and manga.
  • My Hero Academia is very good, especially with the recent stuff. Shigaraki's backstory actually made him into a good villain, and now there's this war going on for the fate of hero society!
  • Demon Slayer is trash. Next.
  • JuJutsu Kaisen's anime is blowing my mind. As a manga reader, I can tell all the differences and what they did to make it better. However, the Shibuya arc really disappointed me because it was mostly pointless fighting and between characters we barely know.
  • Reborn is amazing! It's very original, having "supernatural gangster turf wars". If you only look at the biggest moments, this anime blows your mind.
  • JoJos is a masterpiece. My favorite is Part 2. I recently finished Part 3, and only liked the last bits with Dio Brando. I love Part 4, and hate Part 5. I want to read the manga.
  • Fate/stay night is a masterpiece. It's so unique and awesome! Usually, it starts slow, but halfway through the season gets mind blowing. I don't know about how to start watching it though. Fate/Zero is very confusing without context. I might be a person that recommends Dean/stay night first. Then Zero. Then UBW. Then Heavens Feel. And finally, Fate/Apocrypha.
  • Attack on Titan is great. Next.
  • Don't care about OPM. Next.
  • Never seen SAO or Tower of God.
Remember this is just my opinion. I can't pretend to be a perfect human being, so my opinion may be flawed.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Saitama would way way too broken and overpowered.

(He would be the Bayonetta of this game, just like how she ruined Smash 4 for being so broken and dominated EVO.)

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Hello, this is LunchmanJ. I came to speculate about a possible Smash clone with anime characters. I am NOT talking about Jump Force, but rather one with gameplay directly paralleling Melee or Ultimate. You would play from all of anime's most iconic physical fighters. Such as Goku, Naruto, Luffy, etc.

After Ultimate's DLC finishes, there is little reason for Smash to continue. The game would have 80+ fighters. If somebody wanted to make a sequel or spiritual successor to Smash, this would probably be the best idea for it. Fraymakers is an indie crossover fighter, Rivals is the best at an OC fighter, and attempts like Icons have failed. Making another Project M is probably going to be very difficult without Nintendo's consent.

I say this because putting Goku in Ultimate is very outlandish, and most fans would hate it. As cool as it would be to me, Goku has no place in the "Nintendo fighting game crossover".

Let's discuss potential characters, stages, moveset, and mechanics for this hypothetical game. Who knows? It might even become reality!

Characters
  • Naruto Uzumaki from Naruto Shippuden
  • Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach
  • Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece
  • Son Goku from Dragon Ball Z
  • Gon Freecss from Hunter x Hunter
  • Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Maka and Soul from Soul Eater
  • Izuku Midoriya from My Hero Academia
  • Tanjiro Kamado from Demon Slayer
  • Yuji Itadori from JuJutsu Kaisen
  • Tsuna from Katekyo Hitman Reborn
  • Jotaro Kujo from JoJos Bizarre Adventure
  • Saber/Arturia Pendragon from Fate/stay night
  • Eren Jaeger from Attack on Titan
  • Saitama from One Punch Man
  • Kirito from Sword Art Online
  • Bam from Tower of God
  • Sasuke Uchiha from Naruto Shippuden
  • Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z
Dragonball Z is NOT a Manga
Toriyama never put a split in his first 42 Volumes

also should i suggest some other chars???

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman

(He would be the Bayonetta of this game, just like how she ruined Smash 4 for being so broken and dominated EVO.)
lol I think he would just be a Captain Falcon clone

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Just put him in his pyjamas and say it was all a dream - that's how the One Punch Man game handled it.

Alternatively, have him be like Beerus in Dragon Ball FighterZ where he's clearly not trying (ex. getting KO'd has him say "oh noooooo" in the most monotone voice imaginable), or Saitama vs. Saitama matches where running out of health makes him run off after he realizes that a sale at the supermarket is almost done. (though I guess that wouldn't really work for a Smash Bros.-style game)

Last edited:

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman

also should i suggest some other chars???
I can think of several other characters. But your mileage may vary.

For example, Asta from Black Clover. I love this show, but moveset and personality wise he would just blend in until you can't see him. Black Clover is very unoriginal.

Meliodas from Seven Deadly Sins. I also think this manga is underrated, but Black Clover is in the same genre of "clever high fantasy following a demonic protagonist who fights against his own kind". If we were to add one of them, it would have to be Asta.

Natsu from Fairy Tail, if anyone wants him.

Allen Walker from D. Gray-man. A moveset based on Crown Clown would be cool. I love this show, but it is seriously obscure.

Besides that, you would have to get into really obscure manga. The list goes on forever: World Trigger, Nurarihyon, Fire Force, Shaman King, Mashle, 666 Satan, etc.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Admittedly, most of the anime/manga that I'm familiar with tends to be action series aimed at the same general audience, mainly from Shonen Jump (the main exceptions being One Punch Man and Fairy Tail), but I'd think that Jump Ultimate Stars would be a good template for this sort of game.

The line-up's out of date (the game came out in 2006, so One Piece had just reached Enies Lobby and Naruto had just started the post-time-skip era), but it could work as a starting point. (or at least bring up older series like Dr. Slump and Fist of the North Star)

Last edited:

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
Here is a question for y'all.

How would the movesets and play styles be like?

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I also skipped Skypiea (worst arc), which helped my experience a lot.
Whoa, why are you watching Quarter Piece? Oda’s art peaked during Skypiea and it had an excellent story that prioritized exploration and discovery over finding someone to beat up. There is no objectively “worst” arc in the series; although some are better than others, yes, they are all solid and serve a purpose in some way.

To the topic at hand, though, I can’t believe no one has mentioned Guts from Berserk yet. I’m imagining him as someone like Ike in terms of his playstyle.

Last edited:

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
Yes it is, it's the adult half of the manga,Toei just split the anime to two series due to how more action-based the adult half is compared to the kid half and Viz did the same to the manga.

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Yes it is, it's the adult half of the manga,Toei just split the anime to two series due to how more action-based the adult half is compared to the kid half and Viz did the same to the manga.
The original Japanese print never changed the format after Z, and when Viz reprinted the Saiyan and Frieza arcs in color, they did not insert ‘Z’ in the title.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
The actual Tonal break is the Piccolo arc its the first "battle" arc
and Adult??? no! goku lookjed like this in the 6th Arc
and yes hes an Adult abeit a young one hes considered Adult at this Point and hes 18 yes japan has other rules but the Dragonball World is NOT our world its a Fantasy one

AlRex

Smash Lord
It's probably best to start with Shonen Jump by itself and maybe a few guest characters, but then again Shonen Jump has a good few games already. Haven't really seen Kodansha give this a try, and they have a decent amount of recognizable titles (Sailor Moon, Attack on Titan, Cutey Honey, Devilman, Akira, Cyborg 009, Battle Angel Alita, FLCL, etc.), though I don't know if all that licensing is exactly all there. Maybe Gainax VS Trigger as a more cohesive theme to start with, then work from there, perhaps?

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
I would rather have the roster start with only Shonen Jump Characters and then maybe add a few guests
If I designed the Roster it would look like this. One Piece would get the most fighters.
Dragon Ball -Goku, Vegeta, Frieza
One Piece - Monkey D. Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, Trafalgar Law, Boa Hancock, Akainu
Naruto - Naruto, Sasuke, Madara, Kaguya
Bleach - Ichigo, Rukia, Aizen
My Hero Academia - Izuku, Bakugo, Todoroki, All Might
Jujutsu Kaisen - Itadori/Sukana, Gojo
Black Clover - Asta, Yuno, Noelle
Demon Slayer - Tanjiro, Nezuko, Muzan
Fist of the North Star - Kenshiro, Raoh
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Jotaro, Dio, Josuke, Giorno
Hunter X Hunter - Gon, Killua, Hisoka
Yu Yu Hakusho - Yusuke, Hiei, Younger Toguro
39 Fighters is good for base roster
DLC: Gintama - Gintoki, Dragon Ball - Gohan, Fate/Stay Night - Saber, Rosario + Vampire - Tsukune, Dragon Quest Adventures of Dai - Dai, Fairy Tail - Natsu, Inuyasha - Inuyasha , Fullmetal Alchemist - Edward Elric
And those are all the fighters for Super Shonen Bros. Total amount is 47 fighters.

wizfoot

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7677-1915-7484
Would like to preface this by saying I'm not generally a fan of anime. I've only finished one (Eva), am watching one (Bebop), and watched but didn't finish 2 (AOT and SAO).

What about Spike Siegel from Cowboy Bebop? The guy's a martial artist as well as skilled in gunplay. He makes a living from being a bounty hunter, something that's quite the training regimen. Misato from Evangelion's also been shown being effective with a gun and even hand-to-hand combat against trained military personnel.

Haruuuu

Smash Rookie
I want to throw my hat in the ring with a roster of mine
FMAB: Edward Elric, Alphonse Elric, Mustang, and one homunculus (Honestly any of them are fine, they all have enough for a moveset)
HxH: Killua, Gon, and Hisoka
AOT: Levi and Eren
Gintama: Gintoki, Kagura, and Shinpachi
MP100: Reigen and Mob
Hajime no Ippo: Ippo
Demon Slayer: Tanjiro + Nezu
JJBA: Giorno, Dio, Jotaro, and JoJo
Cowboy Bebop: Spike Spiegel
OPM: Saitama
DBZ: Goku, Frieza, and Vegeta
ReZero: Rem/Ram, Felix, and Subaru? (I wanna put Subaru in but I only finished S1 and cannot see what his moveset could even be like)
Naruto: Naruto, Sasuke, Kakashi, Gaara, Shikamaru, Pain, Itachi, and Sakura
SAO: Asuna and Kirito
MHA: Izuku, Todoroki, and Bakugou
One Piece: Luffy and Zoro
Bleach: Ichigo
Eva: Misato, Shinji, Asuka, and Rei
JJK: Gojo and Itadori
Death Note: Light + Ryuk, L, and Misa
Code Geass: Lelouch + CC, Suzaku, and Kallen
Food Wars - Soma
Monogatari: Koyomi, Senjougahara, and Hanekawa
Haikyuu: Hinata, Kageyama, and Tsukishima
YLIA: Kaori and Kousei

DLC Characters

NGNL: Shiro and Sora
DITF: 02 and Ichigo
Naruto: Hinata and Neji
Railgun: Misaka
Saiki K: Saiki
Cowboy Bebop: Faye Valentine
Demon Slayer Giyuu Tomioka
DrS: Senku

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
idk if we can consider Fate character as a "manga" character

Also, idk if you guys just listing names or there's a reason behind why they should be included?

Last edited:

Haruuuu

Smash Rookie
idk if we can consider Fate character as a "manga" character

Also, idk if you guys just listing names or there's a reason behind why they should be included?
Personally I was listing some iconic characters that could fit into the game

Oracle Link

Smash Master
So let me say a bit:
i would include less franchise but more chars in them

Dragonball:
Kid Goku, Kid Kuririn (krillin), Demon King Piccolo
SSJ GOKU, SSJ VEGETA, FREEZA
AT: Trunks, kid Gohan and Tenshinhan, Beerus

Naruto:
Naruto, Kakashi, Sakura
Sasuke, Main Villain, Boruto
AT: i dunno Pain maybe

Onepiece:
Luffy and 5 others didnt read it far enough
AT: 2

Full metal Alchemist (basicly brotherhood but the manga is called that):
Edward, Alphonse, Father, Mustang
AT: Greed (lin), Winry

Hunterx Hunter (ive only watched 2 seasons)
Gon, Killua, i dunno the clown dude
AT Leorio, The guy that looks like a girl Yeah if i google the names i get spoiled Ah wait now i know Kurapika

My Hero Academy
Deku, All might, The Hand Dude (i think his name was todoroki),Katsuki
AT: Shoto

JOJO:
Joseph, Dio, Giorno
AT: Speddwagon

Death note:
Light, L

Dr Slump:
Arale
AT: Dr Slump

Yugi oh:
Yugi i guess
At: BW DRAGON

I didnt watch a lot of other popular anime!

Top Bottom