• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Fighting Robots!! 2nd Mega Man Character Thread

Which Mega Man character would you like to be playable in Smash next the Original Mega Man Himself?

• Total voters

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Nothing too major has changed on the poll. MMX is still in the lead, followed by Zero, than Protoman, and SFMM is the next closest named character.

I might change the poll for stages in a bit.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Zero would be my first choice, but since he's already an AT, he's out.

My second choice would be Dr. Wily... again AT.

After that... not so sure probabaly either Roll or Sigma.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
With the new Mega Man X mobile game coming out, we see both Mega Man X and Zero doing crazy Saber Combos. Obviously, they should be completely different, but how would any of you feel about Mega Man X using a Saber? If he had a moveset based on Armor abilities, it could work. But I think I'd prefer his melee attacks to be hand to hand, like in Marvel vs Capcom.

Zero could use a Buster too, but probably only for select moves like Earth Gaizer, since he's so rushdown heavy.

Yoyomom

Smash Rookie
I would be psyched to have ANY Mega man character be the 2nd Mega man rep. I use to want Proto man and Roll, but I think 3 characters per 3rd party company is asking for too much. (I know Hero is four characters, but they have the same character slot and the same role). I think the next Mega man rep should be Zero. He is the only Mega man character that is not a Mega man to have his own series.

D

Deleted member

I wish Megaman X was the one that got in smash instead of Classic Megaman.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I wish Megaman X was the one that got in smash instead of Classic Megaman.
I would be psyched to have ANY Mega man character be the 2nd Mega man rep. I use to want Proto man and Roll, but I think 3 characters per 3rd party company is asking for too much. (I know Hero is four characters, but they have the same character slot and the same role). I think the next Mega man rep should be Zero. He is the only Mega man character that is not a Mega man to have his own series.
If they ever do add another Mega Man character, I think from a popularity stand point, Mega Man X and Zero have the best shot, at least from talking to people online. Though Protoman, Mega Man .EXE and Bass certainly have their fans as well.

Personally, I wouldn't pick another character over the OG Mega Man, but I would be ecstatic if another Mega Man, like Mega Man X or EXE got to join the roster too. Similar to having both Ryu/Ken, Simon/Richter or Link/Toon Link. Granted, the Mega Men have more drastic changes in their movesets between them than the Links or Shotos or Belmonts. But I can see the appeal of Zero too.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would be thrilled to see either Zero or Tron Bonne make it as the 2nd MM rep especially Zero. Hopefully, if this DLC continues outside of the Season Pass, we maybe could get a 2nd unique rep for a 3rd party franchise already in Smash.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I would be thrilled to see either Zero or Tron Bonne make it as the 2nd MM rep especially Zero. Hopefully, if this DLC continues outside of the Season Pass, we maybe could get a 2nd unique rep for a 3rd party franchise already in Smash.
You can vote multiple times, so if you're interested in Tron Bonne as well, you can go into the "Other" option as well.

Thanks for stopping by and voting either way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean I wouldn’t mind seeing both to be honest, I think X would have a lot of potential for Smash.
Tbh my gripe with Classic Megaman more about his poor portrayal in smash. His model is so soulless compared to his official artwork. And his moveset takes faithfulness over being fun to play and fight againts.
RPBFMegaMan.png
Rockman_Phone_Card_Illustration.png
15th_MM.png

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think Classic Mega Man is plenty of fun to play, but I do agree I wish he got to speak and emote a bit more, since he's so closely based on the NES Sprite Work. He does emote for taunts, some attacks and winposes at least.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Honestly, I’d like both X and Zero to join the roster. I know X is in MM Classic’s Final Smash, but Chrom was in Robin’s Final Smash, but then he finally became playable, so I believe there’s a chance for X. And as for Zero, if he IS to become playable, they should use both his Mega Man X design and his Mega Man Zero design. (I know Zero is an AT, but hey, a guy can dream)

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I would love to have a 2nd Megaman rep! And I think Zero would make the best. However, I'm not sure who would make a better 4th Capcom rep, Chun-li as a 3rd Street Fighter rep or Zero as a 2nd megaman rep.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Honestly, I’d like both X and Zero to join the roster. I know X is in MM Classic’s Final Smash, but Chrom was in Robin’s Final Smash, but then he finally became playable, so I believe there’s a chance for X. And as for Zero, if he IS to become playable, they should use both his Mega Man X design and his Mega Man Zero design. (I know Zero is an AT, but hey, a guy can dream)
I’m also hoping for Proto Man and Bass to join the roster, as well.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I’m also hoping for Proto Man and Bass to join the roster, as well.
We could revamp Megaman's moveset from scratch and give him a major makeover for Smash 6. As well as add Protoman as a pseudo-clone, and Bass as an Echo. Zero would be made from Scratch. Beck could also be an Echo of Megaman, but he would be better as an assist trophy. Also, Beck is from the Mighty no 9 franchise, not the Megaman franchise.

Since Megaman and Pacman are the 2nd and 3rd most iconic 3rd party franchises in Smash as of now. I think both of them merit to have additional playable characters.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Like I said, I doubt anyone would want to see Beck again. Especially in Smash.
I don't want Beck to be a playable character, and he would be best as an assist. But if he becomes just as iconic as Banjo or Ryu Hayabusa, I would want him to be playable.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't think you'd need to completely revamp Mega Man, maybe update a couple moves like a few characters have had throughout the years. As far as Echoes goes, we'd only really need one. Either Protoman or Bass can fill that role well since they have similar builds and weapon sets.

But I would say if Mega Man X or MM.EXE for example got added, they should be more or less unique characters from the get. Despite also being Mega Men, they have really unique weapons to use that Classic Mega Man doesn't.

If it's Zero, we'd kind of have an idea of how he'd work if his Assist or MVC3 are any indication. Mega Man Volnutt could probably take a few of attacks from TVC as well, but without the stance changes. But a Drill Uppercut for recovery, and his forcefield would make good moves. Not to mention his Mines and Gatling Gun.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I recently made a concept of how Proto Man would work as an echo fighter. I kept most of his attacks the same as Mega Man's but I believe the ones I did change will give him a reason to be picked other than his personality, or just the fact that he's Proto Man. (The original Mega Man moveset was copied and pasted from his page on SmashWiki.)

Proto Man is Mega Man’s echo fighter. Most of his attacks and attributes are identical, but there are a few key differences. When not attacking while in the air, Proto Man will hold up his shield to reflect all projectiles at a 45° angle. As a tradeoff, Proto Man also takes 1.5x the damage of each attack. This is a major weakness, as the damage will wrack up extremely quickly. For example, Mario’s jab does 14.1% (as opposed to the normal 9.4%) and, on the other end of the spectrum, Hero’s does 55.8% (instead of 37.2%). Proto Man’s new attacks give him slightly more utility as well. His Up Tilt is a good anti-air, his Dash Attack is among the most powerful in the game, and his Side Smash allows him to counter projectile attacks at a distance. Proto Man also uses the opposite arm from the direction he’s facing when attacking.
Neutral attack
Proto Buster
Proto Man fires up to two shots from his Proto Buster. This attack has deals a bit more damage and hitstun than Mega Man’s variant. The move has a sweetspot around the Proto Buster itself.
Forward tilt
Proto Buster
Behaves identically to Proto Man’s neutral attack, except the Proto Buster itself has no hitbox, and Proto Man fires while running forwards. Jumping after firing once will immediately transition to neutral aerial, and can combo consistently as well.
Up tilt
Knight Crush
Proto Man fires a mace ball upward at a 45° angle. The mace ball travels a good distance and arks upward before returning to Proto Man. This attack makes for a good anti-air.
Down tilt
Sliding
Proto Man slides forward with a kick that has very little startup and has sex kick properties. The hitbox lasts all the way until the slide is finished, which can hit opponents attempting to roll away. A good surprise move, but only if not overused. The actual sliding ability introduced in Mega Man 3 is a non-damaging maneuver, though said ability becomes weaponized with the Charge Kick, Charge Man's weapon in Mega Man 5. Additionally, it could be based on the Leg Breaker maneuver Mega Man can use in the secret fighting game mode in Mega Man 7.
Dash attack
Blues Strike
Proto Man fires a long lasting explosion from his arm cannon. This attack is one of the strongest dash attacks in terms of K.O. power, but has a lot of ending lag. This is based off of Proto Man’s Blues Strike technique from Mega Man: The Power Fighters.
Forward smash
Charge Shot
Proto Man charges up energy in his Proto Buster, before firing off a bigger and more powerful burst. Like regular Proto Buster shots, this shot disappears after traveling a moderate distance. The longer it is charged, the further the resulting shot will go, and its size, damage and knockback also increase significantly when it is fully charged. Fully charged, this is one of the longest-reaching forward smash in the game, although it has travel time to compensate. Unlike Mega Man’s variant, Proto Man holds up a shield while charging that reflects projectiles at a 45° angle, effectively protecting him from all frontal projectiles. Based on Proto Man’s charge shot attack from Mega Man 7.
Up smash
Spark Shock
Proto Man turns both of his hands into electrodes, creating a powerful multi-hitting surge of electricity above him. It is overall useful due to its large hitbox, anti-air properties and quick startup, though it has noticeable ending lag. Based on Spark Man's weapon from Mega Man 3, though it is more based on how Spark Man uses the weapon.
Down smash
Flame Blast
Proto Man plants both arm cannons into the ground, causing two vertical flaming pillars to erupt from the ground either side of him which launch the opponent upwards. It has quick startup, but notoriously long endlag that leaves it highly punishable if not landed. Immense knockback when hit with the first frames of the hitbox, which can KO starting at 60% when fully charged. It boasts incredible power, being one of the strongest down smashes in the game. It is based on Flame Man's weapon from Mega Man 6, though it is more based on how Flame Man uses the weapon.
Neutral aerial
Proto Buster
Behaves identically to Proto Man's neutral attack, except Proto Man fires while jumping or falling in the air much like in his original games. The move has a sweetspot on the Proto Buster. Due to Proto Man's effective aerial movement, his neutral attack can be used as a very effective "wall" to deny approaches. Like Mega Man’s variant, this attack has no autocancel threshold, as to seamlessly combo into neutral attack or forward tilt.
Forward aerial
Flame Sword
Proto Man quickly summons a flaming sword to his hand and swings it downwards in front of him. It is a very useful combo move, and can net KOs fairly well at the edge of the stage. It is based on Sword Man's weapon from Mega Man 8.
Back aerial
Slash Claw
Proto Man quickly turns around and swings his arm, generating three crescent-shaped energy trails behind him. Has high knockback and high speed, able to net KOs when edgeguarding, and can chain into itself at low percents. Cancelling it into the ground before the third hit connects can allow Proto Man to get a grab. It is based on Slash Man's weapon from Mega Man 7.
Up aerial
Air Shooter
Proto Man fires a small tornado straight above him. It travels a fair distance, drawing in opponents who touch the tornado. It is based on Air Man's weapon from Mega Man 2. It can easily Star KO opponents even at low percentages, especially if the opponent tries to jump out of it. However, it will meteor smash Proto Man himself if it is reflected.
Down aerial
Hard Knuckle
Proto Man points his arm-cannon straight downwards and fires a blue fist downwards as a short-ranged projectile. The fist deals the most damage in the first few frames, but afterwards, it turns into an aerial-only meteor smash. Proto Man can move himself left or right slightly during the first few frames before launching the fist. Has a weak floating effect before firing. It is based on the Hard Knuckle from Mega Man 3.
Grab
Super Arm
Proto Man grabs his opponent with one hand and lifts them over his head. Decently fast, but has one of the shortest ranges in the game. It is based on Guts Man's weapon from the original Mega Man.
Pummel
Super Squeeze
Proto Man squeezes his opponent with his Super Arm.
Forward throw

Throws the opponent forward. Low base knockback.
Back throw

Proto Man turns around and throws the opponent behind him. It is a very solid KOing throw, being able to KO middleweights at around 110% at the edge.
Up throw

Throws the opponent upward. Can KO opponents at high percentages.
Down throw

Throws the opponent downward. The opponent flies straight up after hitting the ground. His primary combo throw.
Floor attack (front)

Sweep kicks in a circle around himself.
Floor attack (back)

Does the same sweep kick as his front floor attack, but hits behind Proto Man first instead of his front.
Floor attack (trip)
Proto Man kicks both feet out while spinning.
Edge attack
Proto Man jumps up and performs a kick in a similar fashion as his down tilt.
Neutral special
Metal Blade
A spinning saw blade projectile that can be thrown in one of eight different directions. The blade can be picked up and thrown by players like a regular item, though it deals less damage upon being thrown a second time. Mega Man cannot throw another Metal Blade until his previous one disappears. Its fair amount of utility makes this Mega Man's most useful tool for edgeguarding, approaching and spacing, and can even initiate shield break combos. The move is based on Metal Man's weapon from Mega Man 2.
Side special
Crash Bomber
Fires a grappling bomb attached to a drill that latches on to any surface or fighter it touches, before exploding a few seconds later. Much like a Gooey Bomb, it can be transferred between players before it detonates but has a shorter timer and the explosion can be safely shielded. The bomb can travel a good distance until it disappears. Can be used to bait a shield grab, or shot against the stage while recovering to deny edgeguarding. When stuck to a wall, it will detonate as soon as a player gets near it. The move is based on Crash Man's weapon in Mega Man 2.
Up special
Proto Coil
Proto Man briefly summons a spring loaded platform to bounce off of. A second bounce will make Proto Man jump even higher than the first bounce. Other players will also be able to bounce on Rush, even if he is in the air. Proto Man is unable to summon the platform again until he lands, or is hit by an attack after using it. It's possible to get incredibly early KOs by forcing an opponent into the air, and following up with an up air. The move is based on the Proto Coil from Mega Man 9.
Down special
Leaf Shield
Mega Man summons leaf-shaped units that electromagnetically orbit around him. The leaves block projectiles, and can be held around Mega Man for a set time. The move is based on Wood Man's weapon from Mega Man 2.
Final Smash
Big Bang Strike
Proto Man fires a huge laser out of his arm cannon. This attack is functionally identical to the Zero Laser except that Proto Man takes a lot of damage when doing this attack.
On-Screen Appearance
Proto Man’s trademark whistle is heard as he warps onto the stage. If multiple players play as Proto Man, then the whistle is extended rather than repeated.

Taunts
  • Assumes an upright pose and wags his finger at the opponent while making “tsk” noises. This is in reference to his win animation in Mega Man: The Power Fighters.
  • Poses with his shield in front of him and with his mask activated. A reference to his appearance in Mega Man 3 as Break Man. His shield will block shots at a 45° angle.
  • Teleports out and back in.
Idle Animations
  • Taps his elbow on his palm.
  • Looks around.
Victory Poses
  • Assumes an upright pose and looks behind him. This is a reference to his other win animation in Mega Man: The Power Fighters.
  • Dashes in while reflecting projectiles with his shield, and then poses.
  • Places his shield on his back and crosses his arms.
Victory Theme
Based off of the first few notes of Whistle Concert.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I recently made a concept of how Proto Man would work as an echo fighter. I kept most of his attacks the same as Mega Man's but I believe the ones I did change will give him a reason to be picked other than his personality, or just the fact that he's Proto Man. (The original Mega Man moveset was copied and pasted from his page on SmashWiki.)

Proto Man is Mega Man’s echo fighter. Most of his attacks and attributes are identical, but there are a few key differences. When not attacking while in the air, Proto Man will hold up his shield to reflect all projectiles at a 45° angle. As a tradeoff, Proto Man also takes 1.5x the damage of each attack. This is a major weakness, as the damage will wrack up extremely quickly. For example, Mario’s jab does 14.1% (as opposed to the normal 9.4%) and, on the other end of the spectrum, Hero’s does 55.8% (instead of 37.2%). Proto Man’s new attacks give him slightly more utility as well. His Up Tilt is a good anti-air, his Dash Attack is among the most powerful in the game, and his Side Smash allows him to counter projectile attacks at a distance. Proto Man also uses the opposite arm from the direction he’s facing when attacking.
Neutral attack
Proto Buster
Proto Man fires up to two shots from his Proto Buster. This attack has deals a bit more damage and hitstun than Mega Man’s variant. The move has a sweetspot around the Proto Buster itself.
Forward tilt
Proto Buster
Behaves identically to Proto Man’s neutral attack, except the Proto Buster itself has no hitbox, and Proto Man fires while running forwards. Jumping after firing once will immediately transition to neutral aerial, and can combo consistently as well.
Up tilt
Knight Crush
Proto Man fires a mace ball upward at a 45° angle. The mace ball travels a good distance and arks upward before returning to Proto Man. This attack makes for a good anti-air.
Down tilt
Sliding
Proto Man slides forward with a kick that has very little startup and has sex kick properties. The hitbox lasts all the way until the slide is finished, which can hit opponents attempting to roll away. A good surprise move, but only if not overused. The actual sliding ability introduced in Mega Man 3 is a non-damaging maneuver, though said ability becomes weaponized with the Charge Kick, Charge Man's weapon in Mega Man 5. Additionally, it could be based on the Leg Breaker maneuver Mega Man can use in the secret fighting game mode in Mega Man 7.
Dash attack
Blues Strike
Proto Man fires a long lasting explosion from his arm cannon. This attack is one of the strongest dash attacks in terms of K.O. power, but has a lot of ending lag. This is based off of Proto Man’s Blues Strike technique from Mega Man: The Power Fighters.
Forward smash
Charge Shot
Proto Man charges up energy in his Proto Buster, before firing off a bigger and more powerful burst. Like regular Proto Buster shots, this shot disappears after traveling a moderate distance. The longer it is charged, the further the resulting shot will go, and its size, damage and knockback also increase significantly when it is fully charged. Fully charged, this is one of the longest-reaching forward smash in the game, although it has travel time to compensate. Unlike Mega Man’s variant, Proto Man holds up a shield while charging that reflects projectiles at a 45° angle, effectively protecting him from all frontal projectiles. Based on Proto Man’s charge shot attack from Mega Man 7.
Up smash
Spark Shock
Proto Man turns both of his hands into electrodes, creating a powerful multi-hitting surge of electricity above him. It is overall useful due to its large hitbox, anti-air properties and quick startup, though it has noticeable ending lag. Based on Spark Man's weapon from Mega Man 3, though it is more based on how Spark Man uses the weapon.
Down smash
Flame Blast
Proto Man plants both arm cannons into the ground, causing two vertical flaming pillars to erupt from the ground either side of him which launch the opponent upwards. It has quick startup, but notoriously long endlag that leaves it highly punishable if not landed. Immense knockback when hit with the first frames of the hitbox, which can KO starting at 60% when fully charged. It boasts incredible power, being one of the strongest down smashes in the game. It is based on Flame Man's weapon from Mega Man 6, though it is more based on how Flame Man uses the weapon.
Neutral aerial
Proto Buster
Behaves identically to Proto Man's neutral attack, except Proto Man fires while jumping or falling in the air much like in his original games. The move has a sweetspot on the Proto Buster. Due to Proto Man's effective aerial movement, his neutral attack can be used as a very effective "wall" to deny approaches. Like Mega Man’s variant, this attack has no autocancel threshold, as to seamlessly combo into neutral attack or forward tilt.
Forward aerial
Flame Sword
Proto Man quickly summons a flaming sword to his hand and swings it downwards in front of him. It is a very useful combo move, and can net KOs fairly well at the edge of the stage. It is based on Sword Man's weapon from Mega Man 8.
Back aerial
Slash Claw
Proto Man quickly turns around and swings his arm, generating three crescent-shaped energy trails behind him. Has high knockback and high speed, able to net KOs when edgeguarding, and can chain into itself at low percents. Cancelling it into the ground before the third hit connects can allow Proto Man to get a grab. It is based on Slash Man's weapon from Mega Man 7.
Up aerial
Air Shooter
Proto Man fires a small tornado straight above him. It travels a fair distance, drawing in opponents who touch the tornado. It is based on Air Man's weapon from Mega Man 2. It can easily Star KO opponents even at low percentages, especially if the opponent tries to jump out of it. However, it will meteor smash Proto Man himself if it is reflected.
Down aerial
Hard Knuckle
Proto Man points his arm-cannon straight downwards and fires a blue fist downwards as a short-ranged projectile. The fist deals the most damage in the first few frames, but afterwards, it turns into an aerial-only meteor smash. Proto Man can move himself left or right slightly during the first few frames before launching the fist. Has a weak floating effect before firing. It is based on the Hard Knuckle from Mega Man 3.
Grab
Super Arm
Proto Man grabs his opponent with one hand and lifts them over his head. Decently fast, but has one of the shortest ranges in the game. It is based on Guts Man's weapon from the original Mega Man.
Pummel
Super Squeeze
Proto Man squeezes his opponent with his Super Arm.
Forward throw

Throws the opponent forward. Low base knockback.
Back throw

Proto Man turns around and throws the opponent behind him. It is a very solid KOing throw, being able to KO middleweights at around 110% at the edge.
Up throw

Throws the opponent upward. Can KO opponents at high percentages.
Down throw

Throws the opponent downward. The opponent flies straight up after hitting the ground. His primary combo throw.
Floor attack (front)

Sweep kicks in a circle around himself.
Floor attack (back)

Does the same sweep kick as his front floor attack, but hits behind Proto Man first instead of his front.
Floor attack (trip)
Proto Man kicks both feet out while spinning.
Edge attack
Proto Man jumps up and performs a kick in a similar fashion as his down tilt.
Neutral special
Metal Blade
A spinning saw blade projectile that can be thrown in one of eight different directions. The blade can be picked up and thrown by players like a regular item, though it deals less damage upon being thrown a second time. Mega Man cannot throw another Metal Blade until his previous one disappears. Its fair amount of utility makes this Mega Man's most useful tool for edgeguarding, approaching and spacing, and can even initiate shield break combos. The move is based on Metal Man's weapon from Mega Man 2.
Side special
Crash Bomber
Fires a grappling bomb attached to a drill that latches on to any surface or fighter it touches, before exploding a few seconds later. Much like a Gooey Bomb, it can be transferred between players before it detonates but has a shorter timer and the explosion can be safely shielded. The bomb can travel a good distance until it disappears. Can be used to bait a shield grab, or shot against the stage while recovering to deny edgeguarding. When stuck to a wall, it will detonate as soon as a player gets near it. The move is based on Crash Man's weapon in Mega Man 2.
Up special
Proto Coil
Proto Man briefly summons a spring loaded platform to bounce off of. A second bounce will make Proto Man jump even higher than the first bounce. Other players will also be able to bounce on Rush, even if he is in the air. Proto Man is unable to summon the platform again until he lands, or is hit by an attack after using it. It's possible to get incredibly early KOs by forcing an opponent into the air, and following up with an up air. The move is based on the Proto Coil from Mega Man 9.
Down special
Leaf Shield
Mega Man summons leaf-shaped units that electromagnetically orbit around him. The leaves block projectiles, and can be held around Mega Man for a set time. The move is based on Wood Man's weapon from Mega Man 2.
Final Smash
Big Bang Strike
Proto Man fires a huge laser out of his arm cannon. This attack is functionally identical to the Zero Laser except that Proto Man takes a lot of damage when doing this attack.
On-Screen Appearance
Proto Man’s trademark whistle is heard as he warps onto the stage. If multiple players play as Proto Man, then the whistle is extended rather than repeated.

Taunts
  • Assumes an upright pose and wags his finger at the opponent while making “tsk” noises. This is in reference to his win animation in Mega Man: The Power Fighters.
  • Poses with his shield in front of him and with his mask activated. A reference to his appearance in Mega Man 3 as Break Man. His shield will block shots at a 45° angle.
  • Teleports out and back in.
Idle Animations
  • Taps his elbow on his palm.
  • Looks around.
Victory Poses
  • Assumes an upright pose and looks behind him. This is a reference to his other win animation in Mega Man: The Power Fighters.
  • Dashes in while reflecting projectiles with his shield, and then poses.
  • Places his shield on his back and crosses his arms.
Victory Theme
Based off of the first few notes of Whistle Concert.
These are some really cool ideas. Glad you introduced aspects from Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10 into Protoman's moveset. Though maybe making twice as light as Mega Man would be a better way to implement his Glass Cannon Playstyle in the context of Smash, rather than lower defense.

Either way, good job. Thanks for stopping by!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
boing_boing_by_luxyart1000_dcmbila-fullview.jpg

My choice for a 2nd Mega Man rep is Bounce Man from Mega Man 11.
Here's my moveset for him:
Neutral-Bounce Ball
Side-Stretch Punch
Up-Trampoline Jump
Down-Rubber Shock Wave
Final Smash-? (His body detaches itself and starts bouncing everywhere at high speed.)

There you go.
Also he reminds me of Kirby cause both are pink and playful, and i imagine him playing with Kirby and caring for the puffball, i swear he looks and would fit in the Kirby franchise. (Imagine him as a playable character, or appearing in the anime as a friend of Kirby.)

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Though maybe making twice as light as Mega Man would be a better way to implement his Glass Cannon Playstyle in the context of Smash, rather than lower defense.
This would make him lighter than Pichu by quite a wide margin which doesn't make any sense (then again Ridley's lighter than Samus so I dunno). I also worry that doing this might throw off his gamefeel because attacks would cause him to fly off where Mega Man (a heavy middleweight) wouldn't be sent nearly as far. Having him take more damage would cause them to survive the same attacks in the same situations, but Proto Man would still die quicker in a match because he would reach death percent faster. Taking 1.5x damage might not be enough however, as Bowser Jr. has a similar mechanic and doesn't die too quickly, though his bigger hurtboxes make him take less damage than normal and he's much heaver than Mega Man so that may not be the best comparison. I think both ideas would need to be played around with if Proto Man were actually to be developed.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
This would make him lighter than Pichu by quite a wide margin which doesn't make any sense (then again Ridley's lighter than Samus so I dunno). I also worry that doing this might throw off his gamefeel because attacks would cause him to fly off where Mega Man (a heavy middleweight) wouldn't be sent nearly as far. Having him take more damage would cause them to survive the same attacks in the same situations, but Proto Man would still die quicker in a match because he would reach death percent faster. Taking 1.5x damage might not be enough however, as Bowser Jr. has a similar mechanic and doesn't die too quickly, though his bigger hurtboxes make him take less damage than normal and he's much heaver than Mega Man so that may not be the best comparison. I think both ideas would need to be played around with if Proto Man were actually to be developed.
Fair point. But I think twice as much damage in this style of brawler might be a bit much. Though making him twice as light could be too, as you've mentioned. Either way I think he should be fairly lighter than Mega Man(a reasonably heavy character), as he takes more knockback in MM9 and MM10.

As for why Ridley's Lighter than Samus, I guess that's because he's a really tall, but lanky character. And his Smash size is more in comparison to NES Metroid, where he's only a little larger than Samus.

I wonder how Bass would change if he were the echo instead of Protoman. I'm guessing Shorter Jumps but faster running, and having four buster shots. But Bass' Buster could just be his replacement for the Metal Blade as both are multi-directional.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Fair point. But I think twice as much damage in this style of brawler might be a bit much. Though making him twice as light could be too, as you've mentioned. Either way I think he should be fairly lighter than Mega Man(a reasonably heavy character), as he takes more knockback in MM9 and MM10.

As for why Ridley's Lighter than Samus, I guess that's because he's a really tall, but lanky character. And his Smash size is more in comparison to NES Metroid, where he's only a little larger than Samus.
Twice as much would probably be too much, especially against characters without projectiles. I had said 1.5x the damage which is much more manageable though he still takes a lot of damage from attacks. I didn't know Proto Man took more knockback as well in the actual games, so maybe to be true to the source material both systems should be in effect. He takes slightly more damage (like 1.25x or something) and also is a light middleweight (or has the same weight as Mega Man but takes the extra knockback anyway).

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord

I always knew that Protoman could be an echo of Megaman. But I think Zero or X would make a better 2nd rep.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Bass has gotten a fair bit of votes now. He was lagging behind for a little bit. Even Geo and Mega Man .EXE got a couple more votes.

The leads of the poll for a 2nd Mega Man character are still Mega Man X, Zero and Protoman.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Mega Man Volnutt's gotten a couple more votes, but he and a ZX character are still at the bottom of the pack.

EDIT: NEW Challengers! Roll, Tron and Sigma are on the poll now for those who like those characters!

Sigma Pimp Status.jpg

Last edited:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Really, really hard to choose just one, although I'd like to see Roll as an Echo Fighter for Mega Man. Although I love Mamboo07 Mamboo07 's idea of having Bounce Man as a playable rep seeing as the Robot Masters are just as lovable and interesting as Mega Man.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Aw.. thanks for your kindness., Poyo!:kirby:
You're welcome. I often wondered if a Robot Master or a Maverick boss from the Mega Man franchise would make a good unexpected Smash fighter ever since Mega Man debuted in Smash 4 and it's nice to see someone feel the same way by showing their pick. (By the way, I love your picture and your head canon that Bounce Man and Kirby would be good friends. Heck Bounce Man has probably played all of Kirby's games.)

I do have to wonder if Dr. Wily was a playable character he'd use a special machine to fight seeing as every time he faces Mega Man without any weapons he begs for mercy. Not to mention that he's a human and Rock is a robot.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
You're welcome. I often wondered if a Robot Master or a Maverick boss from the Mega Man franchise would make a good unexpected Smash fighter ever since Mega Man debuted in Smash 4 and it's nice to see someone feel the same way by showing their pick. (By the way, I love your picture and your head canon that Bounce Man and Kirby would be good friends. Heck Bounce Man has probably played all of Kirby's games.)

I do have to wonder if Dr. Wily was a playable character he'd use a special machine to fight seeing as every time he faces Mega Man without any weapons he begs for mercy. Not to mention that he's a human and Rock is a robot.
I agree, and Bounce Man might have watched every single episode of the Kirby Right Back At Ya! anime.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
And with that, Roll and Tron are on the board officially. Some other characters like Mega Man X and Starforce Mega Man got more votes too.
Protoman_thumbs_up.gif

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Not too many changes in placements, Star Force Mega Man got more votes and so did Roll. But alas, Poor Sigma hasn't got any yet. Granted, the Poll's kind of been around for a minute. But them's the breaks.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
X has always been my favorite incarnation of the character so I'd be pretty ecstatic to see him make it in Smash. A part of me wonders if Sakurai would even consider him given how similar he looks to OG Mega Man, but his move set could be extremely unique if a selection of his armor sets were implemented along with some boss weapons from the series.

Zero and Roll would be great choices, too, and I think the latter could work well as a Mega Man echo if they go the Marvel Vs Capcom route with her.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
X has always been my favorite incarnation of the character so I'd be pretty ecstatic to see him make it in Smash. A part of me wonders if Sakurai would even consider him given how similar he looks to OG Mega Man, but his move set could be extremely unique if a selection of his armor sets were implemented along with some boss weapons from the series.

Zero and Roll would be great choices, too, and I think the latter could work well as a Mega Man echo if they go the Marvel Vs Capcom route with her.
I think Mega Man X's change in height should be enough to make him distinct visually from OG Mega Man, as would the others like MM.EXE and Volnutt. Seeing as Link and Young Link in Melee or even the 3 Links in Smash Ultimate are anything to go by. Whether Sakurai thinks the same thing is hard to say. Of course his weapons and armors make him stand out even more than his height.

If they do pick Zero, I imagine they'd use his GBA version, as the MMX version is an AT, but I wanted him in the poll since he's one of the most popular characters aside from Mega Man himself. And it wouldn't be honest even if I personally prefer Mega Man X myself.

Proto, Bass and Roll all could work out well as echo fighters.

Thanks for stopping by fam. And thanks for voting. It's not much, but I like getting a general idea of who people want in the series as fully playable characters.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
With the Mega Man Zero/ZX collection out, I'm at least hoping even more people are familiar with the Mega Man series like the two collections for Classic and MMX managed to pull off, who knows, if successful enough, we may even see ZX3.

On top of that, Mega Man X Dive should be out soon-ish too.

Top Bottom