• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Dash Method: urban legend?

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
I've often heard people say that using AR, it can be found that the programmers named wavedashing "Super Dash Method" or something similar.

Well, in all my use of AR and debug mode, I've never seen anything to corroborate this.

The only way I know to see names of moves is the Y + dpad down command in development mode. The name of the animation that happens when a character lands in a wavedash is landfallspecial. The same animation is used for landing at any point during or after an air dodge, as well as any other move that makes you flash black (i.e. most up B and some side B moves).

My conclusion is that people purpetuate this rumor because it sounds cool, and to justify wavedashing (not that it needs justification) and I'm sure I'm not alone on this. I'd like to settle once and for all whether or not this rumor has any legitimacy.

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
Also, I haven't seen any evidence of the developers discovering wavedashing and intentionally leaving it in. I don't doubt that it happened, but hearing people state it as fact when there's no apparent evidence gets on my nerves a little.

I'm sorry if I've been missing something obvious, I won't attempt to revive this topic again.

Rayzorium

Smash Apprentice
Given the complete and utter lack of responses, I think it's pretty safe to conclude that nobody knows this for a fact, because it's all hearsay.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
The landfallspecial was the only evidence there ever was, I thought. Considering they bothered naming the act of air dodging into the ground and it 'happens' to have a really cool looking animation with dust clouds and stuff, it's a fairly good assumption imo.

People base religions off less (including me) ^^

LaughingMan

Smash Apprentice
I don't think the evidence supports it at all. If anything, it detracts from the idea that the developers had prior awareness of wave dashing :ohwell: . For one, as Doodleman said, they didn't actually name the act of air dodging into the ground. They simply named the act of landing on the ground after using a stunning move such as up+b or air dodge. In other words, they didn't differentiate between the two actions/animations (wave dashing vs. simply landing while flashing) because they were unaware that the dodge could be utilized in that effect. As for the 'dazzling' cloud of dust, that was most likely just a programmed animation to occur whenever a character landed or slid on the ground from the air, which could be caused by a number of effects.

Though I guess we'll never really know the truth for sure, now will we?

FulltimekillrTOK

Smash Rookie
I remember seeing an article in some gaming mag about how big SSBM got, and they actually mentioned things like wavedashing (and ironically put it next to picking up the exploding pokemon). Whether or not this article came out before 1.1 and such would prob be a quick solution to the question...
I dont own the mag, so if anyone does, and knows the date of it......

Kryian

Smash Journeyman
In the course of programming the game, you'd think they would have to program what happens when you air dodge at the ground. Much like how they had to program what happens when you Fire Fox toward the ground. Ya know?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
you'd think they would have to program what happens when you air dodge at the ground.
I disagree. I don't think they purposely programmed it into the game at all, really. They just programed the physics system and it allowed for the slide to happen. I know that whenever I coded programs that sometimes it would randomly do **** that I had no intent of it doing :-P.

I am sad to hear that it is more than likely not true that the developers discovered this. In the past I would reference this as an argument in favor of wavedashing to those who refute it, but I also would indicate a certain level of uncertanty towards it due to the fact I have personally never seen it.

Buddha

Smash Apprentice
Just because the fact that the SSBM original programmers were aware of WD is questionable, does that make Wavedashing any less legitmate?

The answer is No.

Yes it is a game "exploit" as some may say, but its as legitimate as Short Hopping or anything else. Theres no Short Hop in any official manual or guide, nor Teching. All it is is "Air Dodging across the ground". I bet if we acronymed that and called wavesdashing "ADAG" instead, there wouldn't be nearly as much fuss. If you think about it, i would say L-Cancelling is more of an exploit than wavedashing because it actually cancels 50% of your lag when you land. Not to mention Float Cancelling which eliminates 100% of all your lag.

Its just another form of movement - nothing more, nothing less. Its right in that same category as Short Hops and Fox Trotting. Each completely legal and each completely legitimate. 100%. Personally, i think the fact that there are newbs questioning its validity is outrageous.

And if you need proof, just look out for wavedashing (as well as other "exploits") in SSBM3. I'm sure they'll be in there and I'm sure the developers will be well aware of them.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I never said it wasn't legitamate :-P. It is, straight up. All I am saying is that it will be harder to convince the n00bs that are too stubborn to give up their silly notions that the advanced techniques have butchered what the game was intended to be.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
landfallspecial is all the proof there is for them knowing about it. Not sure about the details, but even if it wasn't true, I'd still tell people it was just to shut them up and so they can have a silly justification for WDing other than wanting to win.

Either way it doesn't matter.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
They simply named the act of landing on the ground after using a stunning move such as up+b or air dodge.
That's incorrect. The 'landfallspecial' is solely for the act of airdodging into the ground, and having the cool dustclouds. It's not for when you airdodge in midair, and fall to the ground in the paralyzed animation. You have to hit the ground while mid-air dodging.

0_o

Ok, I didn't see that as part of SDM's post. I'll have to check this on my friend's AR, but I was certain the landfallspecial was during the mid-air dodge animation.

Nigzel

Smash Ace
actually , landingfallspecial is from as SDM said most up-b and some <-B, WD AND even if you are dodge and then land, you wont get any distance but, an "empty" air dodge gives the text "landingfallspecial".

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I know this is a long-dead post, but with all the Brawl discussion going on I'd very much like to see any evidence people have for the "developers knew wavedashing was in the game" argument.

Mr. Ganondorf

Smash Journeyman
Based on all the evidence put forth so far, I think the developers were aware of wavelanding, tho not wavedashing. The landfallspecial thing or w/e it was called, I'd really like to know for sure if it was named that specifically for air dodging into the ground or just any up B or side B or finished air dodge or anything like that, cuz there seems to be some controversy on that.

Anther

Smash Champion
It doesn't really matter if the developers knew -__-.
It's something that they made happen when you air dodge into the ground.
They could've had you just sit there dodging into the ground, and float there for a second, or have you land. They chose landing.. probably not realizing you could do this as a method of sliding if you jump and air-dodge quickly.

Yes there are lots of myths, and people keep renaming stuff because they're stupid... but.. yeah >_>.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Landfallspecial is for landing while in a "disabled" state. Moves that put you in this state include air dodginge, most up+b recoveries, and some other attacks (Ice Climber side+b, space animal side+b).

And we aren't discussing whether the developers knew or not. We're discussing if the much-quoted "super dash method" is true, or a rumor. And it looks like it's a rumor. This is the only evidence (not to be confused with reasoning, which is what you've provided, Anther) people have given for developer knowledge of wavedashing, and some of us would like to know if it's really true.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Old and not closed yet huh? Might as well ask my question before someone closes this.

2 years later and Brawl getting ready to come out, did they ever find proof of the "landfallspecial". Just wondering.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
What about my question? I'm curious (don't flame please. I'll leave this thread to rest once I have an answer). Yes I am a n00b

Top Bottom