• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Awesome Happy Fun Time Tournament - Need set-ups! - May 5th, 2013 - Chatsworth, CA

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
randoms is the worst term to ever come out of the community. idk how long its been around because before brawl came out i played bowser, but especially after 'brawl noob' existed, the community's attitude towards other players has been so ****ty.

any player you haven't heard of is a random. what this leads to is you trashing other players from out of region, regardless of their skill level. its not too big of a deal at a smashfest because everyone will just make fun of you for not knowing **** and you can just shrug it off. but online everyone is an ******* to everyone. because im soo good and hes just some random.

but it only hinders the community, because you show up to some tourney, say 'oh its just a random,' and get your *** handed to you. at my first tournament i didnt judge anyone, and saw them play before i made assumptions about how good they were. because its implied that randoms suck. but because you assumed this some guy was a random you threw away a tournament match. what if i told you this guy youve never met has been playing melee for 7 years in washington? you would have tried really hard because you knew he was good. but he was def some random so why bother.

tldr if you call people randoms you suck

actually i thought larry was a noob at my first tourney because i thought his name was stupid. and mikehaze because he said really loudly 'why is that guy playing bowser???' behind gimpy

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
randoms is the worst term to ever come out of the community. idk how long its been around because before brawl came out i played bowser, but especially after 'brawl noob' existed, the community's attitude towards other players has been so ****ty.

any player you haven't heard of is a random. what this leads to is you trashing other players from out of region, regardless of their skill level. its not too big of a deal at a smashfest because everyone will just make fun of you for not knowing **** and you can just shrug it off. but online everyone is an ******* to everyone. because im soo good and hes just some random.

but it only hinders the community, because you show up to some tourney, say 'oh its just a random,' and get your *** handed to you. at my first tournament i didnt judge anyone, and saw them play before i made assumptions about how good they were. because its implied that randoms suck. but because you assumed this some guy was a random you threw away a tournament match. what if i told you this guy youve never met has been playing melee for 7 years in washington? you would have tried really hard because you knew he was good. but he was def some random so why bother.
not to be an *** or anything, but IMO you look stupid posting this. You make a lot of good points about the term random, but this is how you percieve the term random. Of course their is a general census of what random means, but what if some1 you dont know (A RANDOM!!!!!) uses the term. They could just mean some1 you dont know as opposed to some1 who sucks.

When I use random I dont imply they suck, when i first joined the smash community i was a random, but as i got bttr a lot of ppl still didnt know me so i was still considered a random by ppl i played despite beating them. I took no offenense, I just knew they didnt know me and understood i was knew to the community.

In my post when i said random, I just meant ppl who obviously dont play the game competitively, bc when sean and I split, you can assume they do suck.

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
random has way more negative connotations than positive ones

wasnt trying to call you out personally, more like the community as a whole

if you (as any member of the community) want to keep using the term random feel free to do so

even though you sound like an ***

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
random has way more negative connotations than positive ones

wasnt trying to call you out personally, more like the community as a whole

if you (as any member of the community) want to keep using the term random feel free to do so

even though you sound like an ***
hmm, well I just wanted to point out that the term is all relative to how the person uses it. ***** could sound like a compliment to some and an insult to others.

plus I sound like an *** anyway

LuCKy

Smash Master
yea festizzio this is a really bad date since everyone will be attending champs with chu. why not make it the next sunday?

festizzio

Smash Champion
I cant shift it over a week cuz all ways is ******** and only open every other sunday. anyways ill still be there ready to run the tourney if anybody shows up, like if they cant make it to champs tourney for some reason yet would still like to play.

**** if only i had posted this tomorrow itd be post 420 on 4/20

festizzio

Smash Champion
Sorry guys! The next one is actually May 23rd, this Sunday. I know it's short notice, but please try to make it if you can! We will be open.

Top Bottom