• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Jibunzo

Smash Rookie
Also those Easter eggs of Golden Sun in Mario Tennis Aces... one I haven’t even seen mentioned is this music:

https://youtu.be/P3xYizS4noI

Skip to 0:48 and tell me it doesn’t sound like part of the Main Theme of Golden Sun... like totally referencing it. Motoi Sakuraba reminding us of something?
Motoi Sakuraba is a legend. If anyone is a fan of his work, definitely check out the album "Baroque in the Future" by his band Deja-Vu. It's some late 1980s prog rock that has a clear and distinct link to Sakuraba's composition style. It's a treat.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Also those Easter eggs of Golden Sun in Mario Tennis Aces... one I haven’t even seen mentioned is this music:

Skip to 0:48 and tell me it doesn’t sound like part of the Main Theme of Golden Sun... like totally referencing it. Motoi Sakuraba reminding us of something?
As a composer, this sort of sneaky quoting always brings a smile to my face.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace

It seems like just about everyone important at Camelot has Golden Sun in their hearts, from the Takahashi bros. wanting to do more RPGs to the Sol Sanctum reference in Aces to Sakuraba incorporating GS music into Aces. It seems like the only thing missing is a Nintendo green light, and hopefully that has already happened.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
So there's this thread on the SmashBros reddit with the title 'Should Nintendo characters be prioritized over third party characters, regardless of their impact or relevance?'

It's basically putting the argument that just because it's a Nintendo character, it shouldn't deserve a better chance than a more relevant third party character.

I see where they're coming from but I don't agree, on the basis that if there's enough support for the character within the Smash community itself, then it shouldn't be ignored. And Isaac has plenty of support if the polls from a year ago are anything to go by.

Here's my response.

"Why should relevancy matter at this point? There hasn't been a Banjo Kazooie game in over a decade (even further if we're going back to the N64 titles) and their reveal was the hypest thing ever.

But Golden Sun, another title that hasn't had a game in a decade, is too obscure? Maybe we can go off sales instead then; Banjo sold twice as much as Golden Sun in the states. But then Xenoblade Chronicles sold half of Golden Sun in the states, and Shulk got in. In his case, it could be argued that it was relevancy that got him in and we kinda go full circle. I think many factors influence Sakurai's decision for the base roster, and its not always popularity or relevancy. Then DLC I feel is a bit more tailored to audience demand.

The Banjo outcry from within the Smash community came because we thought he belonged here. The Isaac fans simply feel the same way, many of us have since 2001."

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I feel like all those people are just riding on the momentum of this fighter pass.
All these arguments of "first parties are not hype anymore", "Nintendo characters don't deserve to be in over third parties" will die as soon as a First Party character gets announced as DLC. It always happens.
The "relevancy" argument died, the "generic mook" argument died... I just hope a 1st party DLC actually happens.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I feel like all those people are just riding on the momentum of this fighter pass.
All these arguments of "first parties are not hype anymore", "Nintendo characters don't deserve to be in over third parties" will die as soon as a First Party character gets announced as DLC. It always happens.
The "relevancy" argument died, the "generic mook" argument died... I just hope a 1st party DLC actually happens.
This. People have shut their first party support because the fighter pass was all third parties so they expect the rest to continue the same line, so now that they are seeing fandoms reviving from ashes such as AT and spirits fanbases, they want to shut them down because it threatens what they want DLC to be. Honestly I'd prefer them to vary now that the FP will be over because Nintendo still has pretty hype franchises in need of a rep and because even if from a business standpoint I see why giving other people what they would like and adapting Smash's into that shape is great, I hope they don't forget about the original Smash fanbase, the ones that got the franchise to this point with their support from the start and not only started consuming because "Sans in Smash!"

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Part of the problem is that the floodgates have opened and it seems to be that just about any third party can make it into Smash. People's imaginations are running wild.

Ultimate's roster is actually a mess now with little indication of how each character selection is justified. After "Everyone is Here," Plant, and the character selection moving to NoJ I don't know what to make of the process.

And so now a lot of the big Nintendo names are ignored.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Random thought: For the DLC AFTER the fighters pass, maybe they try to do it in a sort of zig-zag pattern. One 1st, then one 3rd, then one 1st, then one 3rd and so on.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
So there's this thread on the SmashBros reddit with the title 'Should Nintendo characters be prioritized over third party characters, regardless of their impact or relevance?'

It's basically putting the argument that just because it's a Nintendo character, it shouldn't deserve a better chance than a more relevant third party character.

I see where they're coming from but I don't agree, on the basis that if there's enough support for the character within the Smash community itself, then it shouldn't be ignored. And Isaac has plenty of support if the polls from a year ago are anything to go by.

Here's my response.

"Why should relevancy matter at this point? There hasn't been a Banjo Kazooie game in over a decade (even further if we're going back to the N64 titles) and their reveal was the hypest thing ever.

But Golden Sun, another title that hasn't had a game in a decade, is too obscure? Maybe we can go off sales instead then; Banjo sold twice as much as Golden Sun in the states. But then Xenoblade Chronicles sold half of Golden Sun in the states, and Shulk got in. In his case, it could be argued that it was relevancy that got him in and we kinda go full circle. I think many factors influence Sakurai's decision for the base roster, and its not always popularity or relevancy. Then DLC I feel is a bit more tailored to audience demand.

The Banjo outcry from within the Smash community came because we thought he belonged here. The Isaac fans simply feel the same way, many of us have since 2001."
What some Smash fans need to realise is Smash still has it's roots into the Nintendo side which makes up most of the roster no matter how much third party characters they add. If it was really going to be considered a general gaming roster we wouldn't have this much Fire Emblem characters and certain wild card choices would've never been added. Third parties are merely guests and first parties in general don't require as much strict criteria around their inclusion. Objectively speaking Isaac is a highly requested character from a series that has had well selling games which were some of the biggest hits from it's debut console and has enough potential for an interesting moveset. People try way too hard to downplay his inclusion out of their own bias

Last edited:

DogManStar

Smash Ace

Here's my response.

I mean, Smash is a Nintendo crossover mainly. It's cool to have third parties and all, and there are even some that I support and have supported, but I keep coming back to see all of these Nintendo characters in one place fighting. I still want more, too, because there's definitely a lot more good material to add. Golden Sun, Wars, Custom Robo, Chibi Robo, Sin and Punishment, maybe even newer stuff like ARMS. I enjoy most of the third parties we've gotten so far but I don't want all of our DLC to be third party characters. If the "bringing new worlds" thing in was correct, then there are still plenty of new series that Sakurai can pull from within Nintendo that are worthy of inclusion, regardless of relevancy.

Smash Lord
GUYS. After to doing some research I found this quote from Sakurais interview after e3. This is from the banjo part btw.

"This was another fighter that I received a lot of requests for – mostly from overseas. That being said, King K. Rool and Ridley were pretty fervently requested too. And as I continue to grant these requests, I can only see a future where there’s even more of them!"

I can only see a future where there’s even more of them!

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
Yo I just found this from the Geno thread and apparently Sakurai mentioned this at E3. If this is true this could be huge for us. There were many huge fan polls over the years were Isaac was highly ranked with the mentioned characters and considering the reports that Nintendo received considerable backlash internally from the Isaac assist reveal this does increase our chances

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
What some Smash fans need to realise is Smash still has it's roots into the Nintendo side which makes up most of the roster no matter how much third party characters they add. If it was really going to be considered a general gaming roster we wouldn't have this much Fire Emblem characters and certain wild card choices would've never been added. Third parties are merely guests and first parties in general don't require as much strict criteria around their inclusion. Objectively speaking Isaac is a highly requested character from a series that has had well selling games which were some of the biggest hits from it's debut console and has enough potential for an interesting moveset. People try way too hard to downplay his inclusion out of their own bias
Totally agree! It’s sad that people are trying so hard to pretend that any Nintendo character getting in will be bad and it has to be 3rd-party.
Look, I would love Doom Guy to get in as well as Sora (heck, even Juno/Vela from Jet Force Gemini as well or at least Mii Costumes of them). But Nintendo characters should come first. There’s a lot of great Nintendo characters that need to get in and I’m not just talking about Isaac. They have fan bases for a reason. Plus, they’ll be easier and much cheaper to make than 3rd-party characters.

https://twitter.com/GS_****posts/status/1172615951981805568
Don’t know if you saw this yet, but I relate to this a lot. Lol

Edit:
Yo I just found this from the Geno thread and apparently Sakurai mentioned this at E3. If this is true this could be huge for us. There were many huge fan polls over the years were Isaac was highly ranked with the mentioned characters and considering the reports that Nintendo received considerable backlash internally from the Isaac assist reveal this does increase our chances
*Insert HMM Intensifies meme*

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I took that to mean as he continues to include demanded characters, only more requests will pop up.

Smash Lord
I took that to mean as he continues to include demanded characters, only more requests will pop up.
I suppose I jumped the gun a little bit there haha but having long term DLC and Sakurai wanting to continue to deliver on fan requests does give us a pretty decent chance

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I suppose I jumped the gun a little bit there haha but having long term DLC and Sakurai wanting to continue to deliver on fan requests does give us a pretty decent chance
Sure it's nice that Sakurai hasn't taken the position of "I've given them enough", but I don't expect the ratio of diehard fanbase inclusion vs. other inclusion to change much. As it is now, it seems about one in five, maybe one in six.

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice

Sakuraba tends to recyclize a lot of songs, including its rhythms and chords. Don't read too much. As an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2keeuIDP6o
If you don't figure what song is, I put it in the spoiler:

Speaking of Sakuraba, I wonder what he's doing nowadays.

Yeah, that statement was posted in this thread IIRC. But, seeing how Terry now is beloved by half of the online people, and saying his inclusion makes sense and stuff like that (despite not being requested at all), I wouldn't give importance to that words.
Any character Sakurai includes will be received warmly by fans. We saw it with PP (there were complaints, obviously, but at the end everyone just accepted it), we saw with Incineroar and we saw with Terry. Any character will please some fans.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Another example of song recycling I noticed even when I was much younger was how tales of Symphonia's intro music has a part that sounds similar to GS: The Lost Age's "Walking forward with Determination" (TLA's overworld theme near the end of the game)

Smash Lord
Yeah, that statement was posted in this thread IIRC. But, seeing how Terry now is beloved by half of the online people, and saying his inclusion makes sense and stuff like that (despite not being requested at all), I wouldn't give importance to that words.
Any character Sakurai includes will be received warmly by fans. We saw it with PP (there were complaints, obviously, but at the end everyone just accepted it), we saw with Incineroar and we saw with Terry. Any character will please some fans.
To be fair the reaction to Terry was more mixed than anything from what I've seen, even worse than Hero. While there are some celebrating his inclusion there was also some angry with it.
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1169374098897526784
Look at the replies to this tweet and it's split on people who are pleased with him or against him

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
I think it depends on the context, really. I'd be less happy with Terry if they had not also announced additional DLC right then and there, because that was one more slot that couldn't go to a character I wanted more. But when things are open ended, I have absolutely no problem with Terry. He's got his place in gaming history, and the mere fact that he's not a character I've really engaged with much (I have friends who are big SNK fans, and they were very excited for him) doesn't mean I can't respect and cheer for his inclusion. Of course I'd rather have someone else, but when there's more than one slot left, it's not necessarily an "either/or" kind of scenario, there's no reason to think that because Terry is here, Isaac couldn't be, or Geno couldn't be, or whatever.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Sakuraba tends to recyclize a lot of songs, including its rhythms and chords. Don't read too much. As an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2keeuIDP6o
If you don't figure what song is, I put it in the spoiler:

Speaking of Sakuraba, I wonder what he's doing nowadays.

Sometimes it doesn't feel like every character gets received warmly, to me Banjo has had the best reception out of all the DLC (hype and excitement in every single reveal) where PP and Hero (at least on the Western side) have gotten the most dissatisfied (who asked for this?) reveals at the beginning. This isn't to say of course after a while people won't just grow to accept the characters eventually, they're here to stay and one can simply choose to not buy them. So while the initial reception for a reveal may come off negative, who loves/likes/accept the characters will talk and welcome them and those who don't just sort of become whatever or neutral about them. I often forget characters like PP and Incineroar even exist in my game and still don't particularly care for their inclusion, but I doubt any character will just have a constant string of people hating on them forever.

The smash fandom tends to do this funny thing of making up fan rules and alienating certain characters from being supported and then when said character gets added, go on about how this character makes sense and the rule that was holding them back never applied to them because of such and such a reason. People will do the same to Isaac, he'll go from being this obscure dead series impossibility to, nah he was always inevitable lol.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
This is why, even if we don't get Isaac in Ultimate we need to keep supporting him because this is proof coming directly from Sakurai that he cares about fan requests.

If we keep supporting Isaac and Golden Sun I have to believe that the penny will drop, sooner or later.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sure it's nice that Sakurai hasn't taken the position of "I've given them enough", but I don't expect the ratio of diehard fanbase inclusion vs. other inclusion to change much. As it is now, it seems about one in five, maybe one in six.
:ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie:
:ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ultken::ultchrom:

These are the current new characters (I'll add Terry into the count, too).
Total: 16
NOT FAN FAVORITES
:ultpiranha::ultincineroar:Terry

13/16 Have been fan favorites man. Not at all 1 in 5.

How many were not fan favorites?

-----

Who organized the Ultimate Faces in the smiley section? There is no rhyme or reason to putting everything in alphabetical pattern if you are going to break up alt costumes and sort them, but then leave echoes right next to the base character. Put all the characters in roster numerical order, or in alphabetical. Currently it is not done accurately to either. @MODS

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Depends on your definition of fan favorite. If it's "highly requested" you can tick Joker of, for example.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
This is why, even if we don't get Isaac in Ultimate we need to keep supporting him because this is proof coming directly from Sakurai that he cares about fan requests.

If we keep supporting Isaac and Golden Sun I have to believe that the penny will drop, sooner or later.

This. At the end of the day, Isaac supporters have been more vocal in the past few years than ever before, be it for Isaac in Smash or a new Golden Sun game. The fact that we are still this vocal after a decade of no new games, after almost two decades since the franchise's launch, really says a lot for us.

Honestly, I just hope I'm alive for the day when Golden Sun returns, or gets playable fighters in Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
:ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie:
:ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ultken::ultchrom:

These are the current new characters (I'll add Terry into the count, too).
Total: 16
NOT FAN FAVORITES
:ultpiranha::ultincineroar:Terry

13/16 Have been fan favorites man. Not at all 1 in 5.

How many were not fan favorites?
Look at the context of what's being said. Sakurai is talking about characters solely added due to the fans, of which he only specified three. They're in because he "granted the requests". It's best to work with the guidelines he sets, not your own. For example, Inkling was very popular, but even if no one asked for them, they would've been included. And Sakurai omits them from the category.

This isn't the case for the characters Sakurai specified, nor the characters people are applying this statement to, such as Isaac and Geno. These few are the characters being attributed solely to the dedicated fanbase. They're characters that would only be included by Sakurai granting the requests. Without that contingent, they wouldn't be in the game. The same can't be said about any of those other characters.

So no, those five are not the only characters with fans, but that's not what's being said.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
It's interesting that the backlash is internal. The would suggest that there is considerable support within Nintendo proper for Isaac to be playable and also that not everyone knows the roster, only just a handful of people closest to development.

edit: missing words

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
"Considerable internal backlash" sounds like your standard hyperbole to me, as I remember it being reported mostly as "surprise" at the reveal's reaction.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
and considering the reports that Nintendo received considerable backlash internally from the Isaac assist reveal this does increase our chances
It wasn't really internal though, it was external backlash that caused Nintendo to be surprised, because they didn't expect it.
"Considerable internal backlash" sounds like your standard hyperbole to me, as I remember it being reported mostly as "surprise" at the reveal's reaction.
This, basically

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
So, more along the lines of the reaction to K Rool's ballot placing? That's more plausible considering that if backing had been so strong within Nintendo, this would be the Isaac social thread.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So, more along the lines of the reaction to K Rool's ballot placing? That's more plausible considering that if backing had been so strong within Nintendo, this would be the Isaac social thread.
Sort of. The post about K. Rool touches on the internal workings of the Smash team pre-inclusion, while what people focus on in the Isaac post is NoA's reception, even though they're several steps away from the Smash team itself.

Probably because the rest isn't positive.

It's unfortunate that what people focus on is the NoA portion, when the more pertinent parting message is to push GS in general instead of Isaac in Smash.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Sort of. The post about K. Rool touches on the internal workings of the Smash team pre-inclusion, while what people focus on in the Isaac post is NoA's reception, even though they're several steps away from the Smash team itself.

It's unfortunate that what people focus on is the NoA portion, when the more pertinent parting message is to push GS in general instead of Isaac in Smash.
Assuming this guy is right, I don't understand their logic behind making him an AT just because the series is dead. Is Smash just supposed to be an advertisement for games coming out and a tool for bolstering relations with third parties? Isaac is a highly requested character, it really seems like a waste to shaft a character just like that because of relevancy. If they want hype, and if they care about Nintendo history still as we can assume from retros still existing, why do they pretend like the 2000s era doesn't exist? It kinda makes more sense for series that sadly don't have much support like Wars or Chibi Robo, but Golden Sun's Smash support base is really big. I really can't wrap my head around the logic behind this one and I hope the discord poster is very wrong somehow, because that would feel like another out of touch moment from Nintendo...

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Well, the silver lining here is that they said Isaac would be a fighter if there was a new Golden Sun. So if a GS1+2 Remake is indeed Camelot's next project, Isaac would have a serious shot for a DLC slot. Coupled in with his fan demand and assets already in the game.

Lets all hope for this to come to pass.

Last edited:

Smash Lord
Well, the silver lining here is that they said Isaac would be a fighter if there was a new Golden Sun. So if a GS1+2 Remake is indeed Camelot's next project, Isaac would have a serious shot for a DLC slot. Coupled in with his fan demand and assets already in the game.

Lets all hope for this to come to pass.
My thoughts exactly. While the trademark news last year may or not mean anything, the fact that it managed to trend coupled with the Isaac in Smash hype may just convince them to make a new game however long that will take. If the new game sells well, Isaac for sure will be a lock whether it's this game or the game after. If DLC for Ultimate lasts even longer then it gives us a better chance for this one. We just need to keep pushing ahead.
Also I do feel that Smash Ultimate base game didn't have the opportunity to include as many characters as usual so Isaac was made lower priority due to how much work he'd need compared be other more prominent characters so they made the AT to appease to us. At the very least it isn't impossible for a promotion although our chances are significantly lower than the base game

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
My thoughts exactly. While the trademark news last year may or not mean anything, the fact that it managed to trend coupled with the Isaac in Smash hype may just convince them to make a new game however long that will take. If the new game sells well, Isaac for sure will be a lock whether it's this game or the game after, if DLC for Ultimate lasts even longer then it gives us a better chance for this one. We just need to keep pushing ahead.
Also I do feel that Smash Ultimate base game didn't have the opportunity to include as many characters as usual so Isaac was made lower priority due to how much work he'd need compared be other more prominent characters so they made the AT to appease to us. At the very least it isn't impossible for a promotion although our chances are significantly lower than the base game
True. Sakurai said in his column for Banjo that "he could only see a future where more fan favorite characters are included" so I think it bodes well for the likes of Isaac & Geno.

All he needs is that GS1+2 Remake to seal the deal for his chances I feel. Isaac is a character that can be justified as DLC IMO.

Last edited:

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I think a new game would make Isaac basically a certainty. If we get a remake reveal and Isaac doesn't show up at the end of the Direct or whatever I would kinda be confused honestly

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
True. Sakurai said in his column for Banjo that "he could only see a future where more fan favorite characters are included" so I think it bodes well for the likes of Isaac & Geno.

All he needs is that GS1+2 Remake to seal the deal for his chances I feel. Isaac is a character that can be justified as DLC IMO.
Camelot has been awfully quiet as of late. The last game they released was MT Aces on June 22, 2018, more than a year ago. The previous five games that they released before Aces came out in 2017 (Mario Sports Superstars), 2015 (MT: Ultra Smash), 2014 (MG: World Tour), 2012 (MT Open), and 2010 (GS Dark Dawn). Going back further we find that the biggest gap between releases that they've ever had was the 821 days (or 27 months) between MT: Power Tour and We Love Golf!. Something has to be in the works given their prior history.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Camelot has been awfully quiet as of late. The last game they released was MT Aces on June 22, 2018, more than a year ago. The previous five games that they released before Aces came out in 2017 (Mario Sports Superstars), 2015 (MT: Ultra Smash), 2014 (MG: World Tour), 2012 (MT Open), and 2010 (GS Dark Dawn). Going back further we find that the biggest gap between releases that they've ever had was the 821 days (or 27 months) between MT: Power Tour and We Love Golf!. Something has to be in the works given their prior history.
I think it's more than that even. Given the quick turnaround for Camelot if they wanted to immediately do a Mario Golf after Aces. If such a title was in the works, we would have seen it by now and it would probably be released by the end of this year.

And as others mentioned, Mario Golf releasing around the same time as the Olympics game wouldn't be wise on the part of Nintendo. I think they would want that game as their premire Mario Sports game next year, leaving the door open for a new Golden Sun anytime before or after XC1R/BoTW2.

I said Q1 2021 as a likely release window but I also can see something like GS1+2R released in the Summer next year (June/July) while BoTW2 is released in October/November and then XC1R in December.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord

I apologize if this has already been explained recently, but who exactly is this guy with this information. I remember reading this back when Ultimate just came out, but just need a refresher.

Was this someone with a contact in NoA or NoJ? Because I doubt anybody in NoA would know that the only way Isaac could become playable is if a new Golden Sun game comes out.

I know that seems like the most likely conclusion, but it seems more like this person is just assuming that.

Top Bottom