• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
My personal issue with the Final Fantasy XVI trailer was more that it didn't feel very overwhelming. Perhaps, as I'm not the biggest Final Fantasy player, I couldn't appreciate it as much, but I felt like the overall narrative it was trying to tell was all over the place. It felt very hard to actually follow what was going on.

I think it'll be a great game regardless, but the reveal trailer was very "whelming". Not underwhelming or overwhelming, it's kinda just there. And I want to see more info to get an idea of it's direction.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
My personal issue with the Final Fantasy XVI trailer was more that it didn't feel very overwhelming. Perhaps, as I'm not the biggest Final Fantasy player, I couldn't appreciate it as much, but I felt like the overall narrative it was trying to tell was all over the place. It felt very hard to actually follow what was going on.

I think it'll be a great game regardless, but the reveal trailer was very "whelming". Not underwhelming or overwhelming, it's kinda just there. And I want to see more info to get an idea of it's direction.
Nah I'm a big FF fan and I also felt the same way when watching it to be honest, pretty looking game but i still don't know what I just saw lol. Also, I have serious problem with how young version of the main character isn't appealing at all, yet the older version looks waaaay more appealing lol, this same thing happened to me with Noctis, where old Noctis was such a superior design. I'm definitely only interested in seeing news for FF7R part 2. Maybe when I see more of XVI I will feel the pull more.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
lol remind me to not go into a forum when i'm doing 3 more things at the same time haha

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I believe they have the same Director.
Yoshida is the producer, so he basically supervises things and give the red or green light. The director is someone who've been working with him on XIV for years now so it's just as good.
Also seems like we have a DMC 4/5 combat supervisor (? not sure of the term) who was recruited a while ago to in their team.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Welp, today's the milestone, people.

Break out the hats and partyblowers.

It's officially the longest Camelot has ever gone without releasing a game.

Ever.

In 30 years.

Yes, including the SEGA era.

See my thread here:

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Ever.

In 30 years.

See my thread here:

Three cheers for...is this even worth one cheer? Who knows.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace

Ever.

In 30 years.

See my thread here:

It's disheartening to see all the people hoping to see a new Mario Golf and not a new Golden Sun. What people can find in a golf video game of all things?

The only Camelot sport's game I've been particular fond of was Mario Tennis Power Tour because of how similar it was to GS down to the music and style. I remember as a little kid being like "Why does this feel so familiar to me". Of course young me didn't know what publishers were. Even the Academy Grounds music sounds like a mix of Aqua's rock and a town theme.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Damn, that's not a good milestone. Honestly, if I didn't think they were working on GS, I'd be pretty concerned about Camelot's future. A new sports game can't be taking so long, especially as it wouldn't be their first game on Switch.
Not to be that person, but there's also the pandemic to take into account. At this point, pretty much everyone has been effected by it, whether they said so or not.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The only Camelot sport's game I've been particular fond of was Mario Tennis Power Tour because of how similar it was to GS down to the music and style. I remember as a little kid being like "Why does this feel so familiar to me". Of course young me didn't know what publishers were. Even the Academy Grounds music sounds like a mix of Aqua's rock and a town theme.
Even Hot Shots Golf has hints of GS in it
The pre-rendered sprites have similar proportions to GS's own, the character head icons in the HUD are similar to the portraits accompanying GS's dialog boxes, and I believe that's the same soundfont used in the soundtrack.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
Here's a nice little bit of clout for the series, Golden Sun managed to make the top ten in best critically reviewed aggregate Nintendo franchises here
Gah, I love it but man knowing that it scored that high but wasn't given the benefit of the doubt to keep going after one middling dud is the wooorst. If these remakes happen I hope they really rejuvenate the series.

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
Gah, I love it but man knowing that it scored that high but wasn't given the benefit of the doubt to keep going after one middling dud is the wooorst. If these remakes happen I hope they really rejuvenate the series.
And even calling Dark Dawn a dud is a bit of an exaggeration. It likely made a neat profit despite the modest sales numbers. Given it was near the end of DS and virtually no advertising, it didn't do so badly in my opinion.

Plus, it's no exaggeration to say the Switch has had many franchises breaking records. They'd be fools not to think that Golden Sun would be any different, especially with RPG's in general doing very well on Switch.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Any word on if Nintendo will do anything whatsoever for Tokyo Game Show? With any luck I'm worrying over nothing, but with ~35 hours to go before the show kicks off and Nintendo not on the official schedule, I'm wondering if the only thing we'll see is Hyrule Warriors during the Koei Tecmo block(s). If a Direct announcement doesn't come soon, I'm going to be really confused as to when/where they'll be revealing FP7, never mind Camelot's next game or anything else Nintendo.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Any word on if Nintendo will do anything whatsoever for Tokyo Game Show? With any luck I'm worrying over nothing, but with ~35 hours to go before the show kicks off and Nintendo not on the official schedule, I'm wondering if the only thing we'll see is Hyrule Warriors during the Koei Tecmo block(s). If a Direct announcement doesn't come soon, I'm going to be really confused as to when/where they'll be revealing FP7, never mind Camelot's next game or anything else Nintendo.
Nintendo doesn't usually do things at TGS, this isn't out of character for them. With that new Smash ad at 7-Eleven, I'm sure FP7 will be shown off soon enough.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
And even calling Dark Dawn a dud is a bit of an exaggeration. It likely made a neat profit despite the modest sales numbers. Given it was near the end of DS and virtually no advertising, it didn't do so badly in my opinion.

Plus, it's no exaggeration to say the Switch has had many franchises breaking records. They'd be fools not to think that Golden Sun would be any different, especially with RPG's in general doing very well on Switch.
If they had just shifted course and made it a release title for the 3ds, this thread probably wouldn't even exist, he would have gotten into Sm4sh no questions asked. It was such a missed opportunity, but I still root for our boy.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What is the deal with people ITT acting like this year has just been a completely normal year for Nintendo/gaming/the world?

"I can't believe they haven't shown Camelot's next game yet! Why could this be? There's no reason!"

I mean, take a look around. I think there's a pretty big, obvious reason why things maybe originally scheduled for this year didn't end up happening this year.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
What is the deal with people ITT acting like this year has just been a completely normal year for Nintendo/gaming/the world?

"I can't believe they haven't shown Camelot's next game yet! Why could this be? There's no reason!"

I mean, take a look around. I think there's a pretty big, obvious reason why things maybe originally scheduled for this year didn't end up happening this year.
Pandemic or no, you can't say the optics aren't bad. Microsoft and Sony are both full steam ahead on releasing brand new consoles, never mind simply games. Even if you argue that most of those games are pegged for 2021 or later, at least they're being upfront about what those games are and their expected release windows. Nintendo, by comparison, continues to avoid discussing their games until shortly before release, which makes them look bad even if they have comparable development/release schedules. Maybe it's unfair to expect more in this crazy year, but I don't think we're wrong for thinking Nintendo has done a poor job messaging to fans compared to its competitors.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Pandemic or no, you can't say the optics aren't bad. Microsoft and Sony are both full steam ahead on releasing brand new consoles, never mind simply games. Even if you argue that most of those games are pegged for 2021 or later, at least they're being upfront about what those games are and their expected release windows. Nintendo, by comparison, continues to avoid discussing their games until shortly before release, which makes them look bad even if they have comparable development/release schedules. Maybe it's unfair to expect more in this crazy year, but I don't think we're wrong for thinking Nintendo has done a poor job messaging to fans compared to its competitors.
This 100%, it is entirely fine to point out how Nintendo has handled their communication when compared to, not even western companies, but even japanese devs specifically have been way more transparent since the state of emergency lifted over there in Japan. Nintendo made bank this year either way, they have no reasons to worry themselves in that sense, but it doesn't mean we have to stay quiet and not complain about the elephant in the room that has been Nintendo's communication with their consumer base. This has NOTHING to do with GS specifically, it just happens to be one of the things that could have been shown by now or should be shown in the not so far future, but I have said many times that I'm totally fine with whenever GS is decided to come / be announced. At the very least my biggest fan wish is actually to just see it getting announced, cause it's been already long enough since it has been in development, and if Camelot has announced stuff from them to come like 6 months after or so, then it's really weird we haven't seen a teaser trailer at least for a game they have been developing for this long. But even whenever Nintendo/Camelot decides to announce it, in general they just NEED to be better when communicating with their consumer base overall, there's literally no excuse. Even with the pandemic, every other japanese dev this year have at least communicated better, whether their games have delays or not, at least they properly / decently communicate with us.

We as consumers have the right to complain, it's not entitlement at that point, that's how companies grow, through feedback, trial and error, and changing strategies that keeps their consumers more engaged. Our best hope is that Nintendo eventually realizes this and starts communicating better with everyone. Literally the majority of people who have been following Nintendo for years agrees on this. We can only hope and keep asking for better communication until they hear us and want to have a better relationship with their consumer base. You can easily say "they don't care, they made bank, they won't change", but that doesn't mean that we have to stop believing they could be better at transparency.

This month, September, has been the most transparent Nintendo has been in literally almost a whole year, and while it's still not as good as they used to before… at least it's a START. They have been behaving like this even before the pandemic started, so pandemic is definitely not the issue at hand, it's their own way of being when communicating.

If there's a group of people being beyond unreasonable, then by all means, I agree they should think things more properly and reasonably, but the rest of us still have good reasons to complain about Nintendo's lack of trasnparency, which has been noticed beyond forums like this one. Almost every Nintendo fan out there who are feeling frustrated about the very same, have voiced this complaint somewhere else as well.

P.D.: I have already said before that the way I would want GS revealed is by the regular means like a direct or something,not even shadow dropped on twitter or whatever, let it have some good marketing for once… so my comment previously on this page was obviously a joke, in case that wasn't obvious lol.

Last edited:

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
Agreed.

I can understand that things are rather unpredictable right now, but I don't think anyone would complain if Nintendo just showed off a little of their development footage but said all release dates are subject to change. Most people would be satisfied with that, just knowing that there is something to look forward to.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's probably safe to state that out of all 3 major game developers, Nintendo suffered the hardest from this whole COVID19 ordeal. Maybe it also has to do with them being sort of perfectionist in the way of their presentation.

Pretty sure they meant for a grander reveal of the Mario remakes, and Hyrule Warriors 2, but the games being so close to completion prevented them. Maybe they're preparing something bigger for the eventual other reveals? I don't think they're just gonna shadowdrop everything, would be bad for the marketing.

Can't help but have the feeling they're preparing something great to make up for all of this. Cause that's exactly how Nintendo works, most of the time. I also think their performance and communication with us, the customers is lacking. Stated that couple of times, to the point questioning if Nintendo is even still trying, but the Mario and Zelda reveals gave me hope.

2021 will probably be the one year they're launching the big guns. We still haven't seen BotW2 for example, Prime 4, and next year is also the 40th anniversary of Donkey Kong. I'm sure we'll see great things, maybe even the return of Golden Sun?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
2021 will probably be the one year they're launching the big guns. We still haven't seen BotW2 for example, Prime 4, and next year is also the 40th anniversary of Donkey Kong. I'm sure we'll see great things, maybe even the return of Golden Sun?
Specially if that Switch pro rumor (or whatever it ends being called) ends being true lol. Really wanna see what the "get your games 4k ready" is gonna be all about… should be interesting to see.

Last edited:

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
I mean, if nothing else, I can understand the frustration from other people, even if it is a little overboard at times. So far, the only outright confirmed 1st-party Nintendo games are:

1. Breath of the Wild 2 (which hasn't been seen since summer of last year)
2. Smash DLC (of which they've waited a longer time than usual to announce)
3. Pokemon DLC (nothing unexpected there)
4. Metroid Prime 4 (which is likely a long ways off)
5. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (and that's being made by a 3rd party company. Koei Tecmo)

So yeah, it leads many to speculate just what in the heck all of Nintendo's in-house teams have been up to. Monolith Soft and HAL Labs are implied to both be working on next Xenoblade and Kirby, but that's it.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I'd love for Golden Sun to get a showy direct reveal but at the same time I'm begging for a shadow drop because there's so much power in the announcement of Golden Sun itself it'd be like turning on a light switch in the fandom.

Without that official confirmation the fandom can't begin to get hype or excited and still seen as dead. Though if Golden Sun got announced earlier this year and then the pandemic hit and we were going on months without hearing anything at least the fandom in general would have fresh positive vibes and finally have something new and fun to speculate regarding the series to pass the time till the next info dump.

For now we continue to play the waiting game. Which hasn't been too hard, I'm shocked that it's been like 3 months since Min Min has been out. Sure hasn't felt like it. No wonder there's so many article discussions about the next FP character, duh lol.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I'd be lying if I said the possibility of Golden Sun isn't making the lack of Directs sting even more than it would otherwise. A GS revival simply doesn't feel like something they would shadowdrop, which leaves us at the mercy of Nintendo doing a formal Direct of some sort. Same goes for Smash, honestly, although obviously that could change (Min Min was technically her own Direct, although "ARMS character" was first announced in a general Direct). This year has felt positively glacial personally, so that three months since FP6 has felt like forever. Thank goodness for Hyrule Warriors 2 news this weekend!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'd be lying if I said the possibility of Golden Sun isn't making the lack of Directs sting even more than it would otherwise. A GS revival simply doesn't feel like something they would shadowdrop, which leaves us at the mercy of Nintendo doing a formal Direct of some sort. Same goes for Smash, honestly, although obviously that could change (Min Min was technically her own Direct, although "ARMS character" was first announced in a general Direct). This year has felt positively glacial personally, so that three months since FP6 has felt like forever. Thank goodness for Hyrule Warriors 2 news this weekend!
I am soooo ready to see the champions gameplay tomorrow, and hopefully young impa!

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Been a while since I've posted but I got through the Jupiter Lighthouse today at like level 33 lol. There's so much to do and see all at once when you get the boat that I was just exploring and clearing out other dungeons before even making my way into Lemuria. Now I got Isaac and the squad from the first game back with me with every last thing I left them with at the end of the first game. I swapped them out to my main battle party to see how good their gear holds up (very good lol) and the battle theme from the first game started playing. That is genuine soul right there. Now my boat can fly over reefs too and I can go back and do some things that needed the Grab, Force, Lift, and Carry psynergies. I assumed I'd get those spells back eventually but not like this lol.

This game is ****ing great. Like wow why in the **** did Nintendo just leave this IP to rot?

Jibunzo

Smash Rookie
Been a while since I've posted but I got through the Jupiter Lighthouse today at like level 33 lol. There's so much to do and see all at once when you get the boat that I was just exploring and clearing out other dungeons before even making my way into Lemuria. Now I got Isaac and the squad from the first game back with me with every last thing I left them with at the end of the first game. I swapped them out to my main battle party to see how good their gear holds up (very good lol) and the battle theme from the first game started playing. That is genuine soul right there. Now my boat can fly over reefs too and I can go back and do some things that needed the Grab, Force, Lift, and Carry psynergies. I assumed I'd get those spells back eventually but not like this lol.

This game is *ing great. Like wow why in the * did Nintendo just leave this IP to rot?
There are actually 3 battle themes in The Lost Age! It's a priority system, Felix > Isaac > Jenna. Felix is the default, but if he's out and Isaac is in, then you get the first game's battle theme. And if Jenna is in with neither Felix nor Isaac, you'll get her music instead.

Top Bottom