• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

KMDP

Smash Legend
There actually may be 9 characters rather than 7.

Skull kid maybe... and someone between Shiek, Diddy, Luigi, and Ken.

KOS MOS?...

View attachment 173358
It seems plausible based on the fact that Shiek is further to the left from Ken. Why is this? Unless there is something to show off. I don't know if this was discussed earlier in the thread at all, but it's something to think about.
The "who are you" you've circled is the smoke trail from Luigi merging with R.O.B. due to the low quality of the image

Probably just a case of Pareidolia.

Last edited:

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
Speaking of newcomers, what is your 5 person team for squad strike? (Bonus points for only using newcomers).

If this leak is real then mine will be: Ridley, Isaac, King K. Rool, Banjo, and Geno (in no particular order).
Hmm, I actually haven't thought about that, but it would probably go like this:

1 - Dark Samus
2 - Simon
3 - Geno
4 - Banjo
5 - Isaac

With Megaman and Zelda making their way in depending on matchups.

Damn it is so hard to choose only 5.

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
That reminds me, which Smash do you guys think has the best set of newcomers? Not including 64, I'd say

1. Brawl
2. Ultimate (Probably 1 if the mural leak is real)
3. Sm4sh
4. Melee
1. Brawl - It also gave its unknowns (Ike, Lucas, Pit, and ROB) ample screen time for people to love them and added in secondary characters like Wario and Diddy that are important to their franchises.
2. Ultimate- Even without Grinch the Villains and fan-favorites already revealed are enough. Also the best represented third party character to date.
3. Sm4sh- barely edged out by Ultimate; Introduced many unique characters from unrepresented franchises. However the gimmicks they had tend to bog them down.
4. Melee- Introduced the rest of the tri-force trio and characters like Marth and Falco that are iconic to the series, dealt with many 'flavor of the day' characters however that were mostly clones.

Squad Strike:
If Grinched: Shadow, Simon, Richter, Ken, Banjo (laughing maniacally)

Last edited:

spaceperson741

Smash Cadet
I was thinking about Incineroar.

I think there are a number of scenaros in which he could still be in the base roster or at least added very close to release.

For one thing these banners were being used for some sort of display right, so their purpose is for marketing and promoting the game. What makes them any different than the box art or that download card people could buy that didn't have every character on it?

If Incineroar were to get announced a few days before release (as either a base game character or as a free download on day one) then it would make sense that he wouldn't appear on any of the promotional material. (which presumably would already be in stores at that point)
I could imagine that the wristbands were for a Smash Bros. event a little before release, and they wouldn't have all of the characters on it if there was supposed to be a reveal at said event. That said, Incineroar? It's not really a character that people are clawing for. Until Vergeben said it, nobody really talked about Incineroar all that much, so it's hardly the character I'd expect for a final reveal.

That said, if the leak is true, Incineroar makes complete sense for leak bait. I was thinking about that idea, and it would add up. Incineroar would work wonderfully in a fighting game, so it'd be believable that it were in the game. At the same time, however, many people wouldn't be disappointed if it didn't end up happening. Therefore, you wouldn't alienate many of the fans. I mean, people are clearly upset with the idea that we're only going to get Incineroar, Ken, and a Square character, so it would've done it's job, I guess.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
That reminds me, which Smash do you guys think has the best set of newcomers? Not including 64, I'd say

1. Brawl
3. Sm4sh
4. Melee
Hmm, in the interest of being somewhat objective I'm going to rate my feelings on each newcomer's inclusion, then rank the games from there:

Melee
Great - Bowser, Ganondorf, Marth, G&W, Peach, Sheik, Zelda
Okay - Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, Young Link
Meh - Dr. Mario, Falco, Pichu, Roy

Brawl
Great - Diddy Kong, Ike, King Dedede, Lucario, Meta Knight, Olimar, Pokemon Trainer, Rob, Snake, Sonic, Wario
Okay - Lucas, Pit, Toon Link (would be higher were he not Young Link 2.0), Zero Suit Samus
Meh - Wolf

SSB4 (including DLC)
Great - Bayonetta, Cloud, Duck Hunt, Lucina (I'm very biased here), Little Mac, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Robin, Rosalina, Ryu, Villager
Okay - Corrin, Greninja, Shulk (sorry), Wii Fit Trainer
Meh - Bowser Jr., Dark Pit, Mii Fighters, Palutena

Ultimate (including Grinch Leak)
Great - Banjo and Kazooie, Geno, Inkling, Isaac, Isabelle, K. Rool, Ridley, Simon
Okay - Chorus Kids (Men?), Mach Rider, Richter (even though I prefer him to Simon TBH)
Meh - Chrom, Daisy, Dark Samus, Ken, Shadow

As it stands right now:

4. Melee - As the second game the newcomer quality is very high, but sadly the count is low with some really middling clones.
3. Ultimate - Despite some strong inclusions, it's a relatively low count, and while the Echo mentality is fine, it's still a bunch of random clones.
2. SSB4 - An incredible list of third parties, along with the highest count of newcomers in the series; the only problem is some of those newcomers are real duds in my opinion.
1. Brawl - I honestly didn't remember the newcomer list being this great, but it really is. Only one particularly questionable inclusion in Wolf, and he's one of the best clones in the series, and it beats out SSB4 despite not having the advantage of DLC. Very well done!

StormC

Smash Hero

1. Brawl
3. Sm4sh
4. Melee
I agree with your rankings as it stands, the mural will rocket Ultimate to the top if it's real though. I found Smash 4's Nintendo newcomers underwhelming.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I could imagine that the wristbands were for a Smash Bros. event a little before release, and they wouldn't have all of the characters on it if there was supposed to be a reveal at said event. That said, Incineroar? It's not really a character that people are clawing for. Until Vergeben said it, nobody really talked about Incineroar all that much, so it's hardly the character I'd expect for a final reveal.
It doesn't matter whether people are clawing for him, that has nothing to do with whether he'll be the last character revealed for Smash Bros Ultimate.

Duck Hunt was the last character trailer revealed for Smash 4 and Shulk was the last character trailer revealed before the 3DS version came out. Bowser Jrs trailer was also revealed after Shulk and before Duck Hunt. None of them were blockbuster reveals.

Honestly with the insistence from the insiders that Incineroar is in the game I'm more inclined to believe now that he'll be the final character revealed a few days before release.

Think of it from another angle, if they reveal Banjo & Kazooie too close to release they won't be able to include them on promotional material for the launch of the game. Which is one reason not to have them as the final announcement. (the same would go for any other highly hyped character)

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Melee
Brawl
SSB4 (including DLC)
Ultimate (including Grinch Leak)

!
You put both half baked other Links and genderbent Marth over Wolf. :<

Melee
Great - :ultpeach::ultbowser::ultmarth::ultzelda::ultmewtwo:
Okay - :ultganondorf:*:ultgnw::ultsheik::ulticeclimbers::ultroy::ultfalco: (* Ganondorf being an uninspired clone knocks him down a peg)
Meh - :ultyounglink::ultpichu::ultdoc:

Brawl
Great - :ultdiddy::ultike::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultwario::ultsonic::ultpit:
Okay - :ultwolf::ultsnake::ultpokemontrainer::ulttoonlink::ultmetaknight:*:ultlucario: (Metaknight was just awful to fight against)
Meh - :ultzss::ultlucas::ultrob:

Great - :ultduckhunt::ultlittlemac::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultgreninja::ultshulk:
Okay - :ultpalutena::ultbowserjr::ultrosalina::ultwiifittrainer::ultrobin::ultcloud::ultvillager:
Meh - :ultbayonetta::ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultmiifighters::ultcorrin:

Ultimate (Not really fair to rate the ones not confirmed. We don't see what they can do yet!)
Great - :ultinkling::ultkrool::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultridley: (Banjo)
Okay - :ultisabelle::ultdarksamus::ultchrom: (Isaac, Shadow, Ken, Geno, Chorus Kids)
Meh - :ultdaisy: (Mach Rider)

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

1. Brawl
3. Sm4sh
4. Melee
Kind of hard to pin it down, if I have to be real honest. Maybe because every game still introduced some significant character choices or progressions regarding them. Hence why I'd wanna put Melee somewhere near 64.

So I think it'd look bit like this:

1- Ultimate + Brawl (Introduces more definitive additions to the roster based on series/fanbase requests, along with not trying to overcompensate their value via having too many 3rd parties. Brawl and to an extent, Ultimate, also managed to evolve on the concept of clones to be more unique, allowing them to take their own identity and give new spin to already well-known movesets of the characters.)

2 - Melee/N64 ( Built on the core of the series' appeal with the definitive main characters from their franchises, but still had to introduce clones to not make the roster feel "small. So far the rather lacking design choice of making clones still to be pretty copied as possible is persisting on some characters, though this is pretty subjective.

3 - Smash 4. (Mainly went to pretty different direction from last games via introducing characters mainly built on their gimmicky moveset potential over highly demanded ones from the fanbase to build on the series or add more fan favorites, and tried to compensate this via adding more 3rd Parties to the game. Sadly a lot of the characters that were included either ended being quite poor, or just strangely overpowered.)

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
You put both half baked other Links and genderbent Marth over Wolf. :<
Wolf stuck out like a sore thumb because he was a third Fox, which looked all the worse because of just how good the rest of the roster was. Meanwhile I think Young Link was a good clone choice due to OoT/MM, Toon Link was a strong replacement for him when he became the definitive second Link, and, well, I'm really biased towards Lucina.

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
And the reveal no one saw coming, 7 new MII classes, now with Mii spell caster, mii lancer, and even Mii Fire emblem clone

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice

1. Brawl
3. Sm4sh
4. Melee
Ultimate (whether or not the leak is real)
Great - :ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool:(Geno, Banjo-Kazooie)
Okay - :ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultisabelle:(Chorus Kids, Isaac, Mach Rider, Shadow)
Meh - :ultchrom::ultdarksamus:(Ken)

Brawl
Great - :ultpokemontrainer::ultkingdedede::ultdiddy::ultike::ultsnake::ultpit::ultolimar:
Okay - :ultsonic::ultmetaknight::ulttoonlink::ultwario::ultrob::ultlucario::ultzss:
Meh - :ultwolf::ultlucas:

Melee
Great - :ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw:
Okay - :ultmarth::ultmewtwo::ultzelda::ultsheik:
Meh - :ultfalco::ultpichu::ultroy::ultdoc::ultyounglink:

Sm4sh
Great - :ultrosalina::ultmegaman::ultduckhunt::ultlittlemac::ultvillager::ultpacman:
Okay - :ultgreninja::ultbowserjr::ultmiifighters::ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultryu:
Meh - :ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultlucina::ultbayonetta::ultcloud:

MatthewVenusAdept

Smash Cadet
Wow, I am have very sudden doubts about the leak and I'm very concerned about our boy not being announced in the upcoming direct

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Since you guys are the Isaac thread I'll ask here. (as I think it was a topic of discussion at some point?)

The image showcasing a speck of green on Little Mac's boot when the banner broke on the website. Does anybody have the original saved version of that goofed up banner or do we only have the one someone mocked up/zoomed in on. If we only have the one after someone edited it/zoomed in, I sadly can't consider it evidence as it could of been tampered with at that point by someone wanting the leak to be true.

And if anybody knows if the Little Mac slice ever had green from Olimar's pikmin overlapping on his boots at any stage of the banner.

Overall things are looking positive for Isaac even if I personally don't trust the leak.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

1. Brawl
3. Sm4sh
4. Melee
For me?

1: Brawl. Had the best and most anticipated and popular newcomers altogether. Lots of new faces and highly needed new additions from veteran franchises.

2. Melee. Like Brawl, it had great newcomers that needed but a lot of oddball choices as well.

3. Ultimate. Only because King K.Rool.

4. Sm4sh. Advertisement characters all over.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
Since you guys are the Isaac thread I'll ask here. (as I think it was a topic of discussion at some point?)

The image showcasing a speck of green on Little Mac's boot when the banner broke on the website. Does anybody have the original saved version of that goofed up banner or do we only have the one someone mocked up/zoomed in on. If we only have the one after someone edited it/zoomed in, I sadly can't consider it evidence as it could of been tampered with at that point by someone wanting the leak to be true.

And if anybody knows if the Little Mac slice ever had green from Olimar's pikmin overlapping on his boots at any stage of the banner.

Overall things are looking positive for Isaac even if I personally don't trust the leak.
Vaan Rose pointed out that the green pixels are from 4chan's archiving.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
https://twitter.com/Stealth___/status/1057027359084285952

Stealth is a golden boy. And he's in the know. He's been having a rough time the past few weeks. But if these direct rumors are true, and he's that happy, well...it may be time....

If he's here. I will @ Sakurai on twitter thanking him.

They're hinting at a direct on Thursday? Where did they say this?
Jon posted a gif of an otter on twitter. Otter's from him are direct signals. Spawn wave commented. "The end of this week should be VERY interesting" In the spawncast, that various hosts nailed down that november 1st would be the direct.

MatthewVenusAdept

Smash Cadet
How come? Is it cause gamexplain? I wouldn’t listen to those fools
mainly just a feeling of it is too good to be true. Like... its perfect. My heart isn't ready for it to be ruined by a pokemon reveal. Even if I do like said pokemon, it would definitely kill like 58 percent of hype I have for the game. :(

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
How come? Is it cause gamexplain? I wouldn’t listen to those fools
Probs just a case of following the stalemate of back and forth arguments and counterpoints for and against the leak, pretty easy to go from being so sure of something and then following someone's link to twitter and then thinking the opposite in the span of a minute. Best thing to do is just opt to wait for an official direct for confirmation since the community has been at the Grinch leak for days now.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
mainly just a feeling of it is too good to be true. Like... its perfect. My heart isn't ready for it to be ruined by a pokemon reveal. Even if I do like said pokemon, it would definitely kill like 58 percent of hype I have for the game. :(
With or without the leak, Isaac still has a shot. Even if the next character is a Pokemon revealed that is Luvdisc and Stantler tag team, Isaac would still have a chance.

I don't trust the leak (for some reason when I wrote this initially, I processed :ultlink: and leak being the same spelling) but don't discredit it could be real as well. Either way though, we still have more to come and anyone/everyone could be wrong. :p

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
If I have to rank based on hype newcomers
1. Ultimate - if the leak is real then it has Isaac and Banjo and hands down has the best newcomers but it also contains Richter, K Rool, Geno, and Ridley for an amazing bonus.
2. Smash 4- Cloud MegaMan and Shulk were amazing additions and Robin was cool. Also Wii Fit was such an insane choice I loved it. The rest were neat but not exciting for me personally.
3.Brawl- Toon Link is awesome I love Wind Waker and Sonic. I wasn't excited for Wolf but I grew to love him. The rest of the additions I didn't care for. Snake is cool in hindsight but I hadn't played Metal Gear yet so had no idea who he was.
4. Melee- I was young and most of the additions didn't excite me. I was mad Gannondorf was Captain Falcon, I hate Fox's moveset so Falco being there made unhappy but it did have Mewtwo. I thought Peach was a dumb choice, though Bowser was neat. Didn't care for the rest.

iam8bit

Smash Ace

Stealth is a golden boy. And he's in the know. He's been having a rough time the past few weeks. But if these direct rumors are true, and he's that happy, well...it may be time....
Welp, those were some interesting tweets even if he's being super vague. He seems to imply a bunch of people already know the Direct is coming but no one wants to go out on a limb and confirm it yet.

Let's see who spills it first. :p

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Welp, those were some interesting tweets even if he's being super vague. He seems to imply a bunch of people already know the Direct is coming but no one wants to go out on a limb and confirm it yet.

Let's see who spills it first. :p
It's fairly common knowledge at this point that there is a direct. What I think is more important here is the content of said direct.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman

Jon posted a gif of an otter on twitter. Otter's from him are direct signals. Spawn wave commented. "The end of this week should be VERY interesting" In the spawncast, that various hosts nailed down that november 1st would be the direct.
Jon uses otters to signal directs? That's really cute

spaceperson741

Smash Cadet
My rankings for newcomers:
1. Ultimate (Grinch Leak Real): Isaac's a dream pick for me, and the only character I've ever wanted in Smash. Even so, Shadow and Inkling are cool too,
2. Brawl: As people have stated, Brawl's roster is really great, and it introduced Ike, Pit, Meta Knight, Lucario, Sonic, and Snake, among others, and was the first game in the series to show that 3rd parties were also in the running for Smash.
3. Smash 4: Although a bit of a letdown (in my opinion) with the base roster, with the only one I really cared about being Greninja, the DLC was great for Smash 4. Cloud, Corrin (my Sm4sh main), Bayonetta, and Ryu being solid choices.
4. Ultimate (Grinch Leak Fake): Like I said, all that Ultimate really has going for me by this point is Inkling. I can definitely see the appeal of other characters, such as Ridley, King K. Rool, and Simon Belmont, but I've never played any of their home series, and am not the most interested in playing those characters.
5. Melee: While Melee was great and added many series staples, the time constraints required of the team caused many characters to be clones of other characters, which is a shame, since Smash Bros. characters should uniquely represent themselves. What's annoying to me, however, is that many characters (especially Ganondorf) weren't decloned for a long time, so many character's inclusion in Melee really hurt them in the long run.

Of course, these are my own opinions, but it's clear to see why I hope the Grinch Leak is real (I'm prepared for if it's not, though).

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman

1. Brawl
3. Sm4sh
4. Melee
Ultimate:

Top Tier Overpowered Greatness - (Isaac)
Great - :ultrichter: (Ken)
Okay - :ultkrool::ultridley::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultsimon: (Geno) (Banjo) (Chorus Kids) (Mach Rider) (Shadow)
Meh - :ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultdaisy:

Brawl:

Top Tier Overpowered Greatness - :ultike:
Great - :ultmetaknight::ultpokemontrainer::ultsnake:
Okay - :ultdiddy::ultkingdedede::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultpit::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultwolf:
Meh - :ultolimar::ultrob::ultwario::ultzss:

Smash 4:

Great - :ultshulk::ultryu::ultpalutena::ultlittlemac:
Okay- :ultcloud::ultgreninja::ultmegaman::ultrobin::ultvillager:
Meh - :ultbayonetta::ultcorrin::ultduckhunt::ultlucina::ultmiifighters::ultpacman::ultdarkpit::ultrosalina::ultwiifittrainer::ultbowserjr:

Melee:

Great - :ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultsheik::ultyounglink::ultzelda:
Okay - :ultmarth::ultpichu::ultfalco:
Meh - :ultbowser::ultdoc::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultpeach:

64:

Great - :ultlink::ultfalcon::ultsamus:
Okay - :ultdk::ultfox::ultjigglypuff::ultkirby::ultness::ultpikachu:
Meh - :ultluigi::ultmario::ultyoshi:

Last edited:

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Speaking of newcomers, what is your 5 person team for squad strike? (Bonus points for only using newcomers).

If this leak is real then mine will be: Ridley, Isaac, King K. Rool, Banjo, and Geno (in no particular order).
Edit:
Games with the best hype newcomers? Here is my list. (Ultimate is based off of what has currently been confirmed).
1. Brawl :metaknight:,:olimar:,:pt:,:toonlink:,:sonic:,:dedede:,:wolf:,:diddy:
2. Ultimate :ultinkling:,:ultridley:,:ultdarksamus:,:ultkrool:,:ultisabelle:
3. Melee :bowsermelee:,:mewtwomelee:,:zeldamelee:,:sheikmelee:
4. Smash 4 :4villager:,:4megaman:,:4littlemac:,:4bowserjr:
My squad strike newcomer team would be : Isaac, geno, dark samus, ridley, mach rider

If it were veterans only then probably:
Zss, falcon, wolf, lucina, cloud

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman

That Stealth tweet is interesting... how reliable is he?

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
You know, a Direct on November 1st makes sense because the Smash Switch bundle comes out the next day.
Hmm?...

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
I dreamed of the Grinch leak characters reveal trailers last night ... it was so beautiful ! Isaac was fighting with his growth psynergy and flying rocks and the chorus kids were kicking jigglypuff off the scene in a dinner theater where all the roster was gathered.

Then I woke up and everything was darkness and silence again :sadsheep:

Last edited:

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
That Stealth tweet is interesting... how reliable is he?
He's...mixed. When it comes to things related to smash bros, he's reliable. Other stuff, nope. He said that DK would get a character, he personally betted on K rool. That was a month or two before reveal. He's been a very vocal Isaac supporter, and is a huge fan of JRPG's. So if someone told him "There's gonna be a smash direct, and Isaac is in it" He's be a giddy kid.

Dihan

Smash Apprentice
I know that feeling. I keep on fluctuating between feeling that he's 100% going to be playable without a doubt, to feeling as if he doesn't have a chance at all and he'll just end up being an assist trophy again. I'm also pretty anti-Incineroar so that doesn't really help matters...

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I made this in case you guys want a reference on which weeks are likely for a direct. I forgot to mention the Nov 2 special edition thing coming out but that's a 50/50 hint cause they could either: not care at all about pushing more the sales for it with a direct before it, or have the direct before it so it can sell even more than it would normally do.
DirectChances.jpg

Top Bottom