• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Actualy, I am.

I didn't expect Isaac at all. But I was certain that a big character would be announced, like Geno, Rayman, Banjo, whatever... Because I really took Sakurai's last interview to heart, with him saying he's referring to the ballot for newcomers.

But Isabelle ?! And a semi-clone on top of that ? Plus, it gave even more credibility to Verge who leaks so many things that I personnaly think is anti-hype.

I won't lie, I'm more salty than the dead sea, right now.

As for the pessimism, I think people kinda start to worry now : Sakurai proves us that he's not focusing on the big contenders, and can "waste" a slot with semi-clone fighters. Because yeah, you're all right to say that Isabelle doesn't disconfirm Isaac in the slightest, but the roster is still limited, and Isaac had already more serious contenders than Isabelle. And with Verge being right one more time, we could get another slot taken by a pokemon, so it reduced our chances even more.

Isaac has still his chances. But for me, they are now significantly lower. If Isabelle can get in, there are now so many characters not being frontrunner who can, and it concerns me.

Also...

Freaking FFIX is being port on a Nintendo Console. Best Nintendo Direct ever.
Dude I'm sorry but I just can't get on board with this. You're telling me Geno of all people would be a bigger reveal than Isabelle? Maybe to the Smashboards community, but nobody under the age of 25 or so probably even recognizes Geno, and among those only the hardcore gamers. Banjo would be a bigger reveal for sure in the West, but Isabelle was bound to be announced sometime, and this way they get to do it during a general direct aimed at a GENERAL audience, alongside the Animal Crossing for Switch reveal.

And when did Sakurai "prove" that he's not focusing on big contenders? When he revealed Ridley and K. Rool? The two characters with the largest and most outspoken fanbase on these entire forums for the past decade? Or how about when he revived Simon Belmont and gave him his own amazing stage with 30+ music tracks even though Castlevania is a dead series? If anything, he's been TOO generous to the core audience and a character or two like Isabelle was inevitable. Some people are never happy.

It's not like Isabelle was the final reveal or anything. Once we've seen all the characters and your favorite isn't on there, THEN I would understand all this sudden pessimism and bitterness. Not that I would join in because this game looks absolutely incredible.

I agree that this isn't exactly positive news for Isaac's chances specifically, but I'm already happy with the game either way. And as long as he isn't an Assist Trophy, he can always make it in as DLC. Clearly Sakurai is paying attention to fan demand. Just remember that Smashboards and GameFAQs and Reddit and 4Chan combined are maybe 5% of Smash's global audience.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The only rough spot for me tonight during the Direct was that I accidentally ate a whole bag of Combos.

On the other hand, it was the Pepperoni Pizza Combos.

Pyzlnar

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, let's just hype responsibly from now on.

And no. Isabella as a character is fine. But that reveal trailer....

Complete ****.
You should always hype responsibly.
Being positive is not the same as having unrealistic expectations or not being prepared for things to not go the way you want.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Putting Smash disappointment aside, HOLY **** I CAN HAVE PORTABLE FFVII, FFIX, AND FFX IN ONE SYSTEM DAMN
Yeah. Playstation 2 bro. Where have you been?

lol

Edit: wait nevermind, you said portable.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
My problem with Isabelle’s trailer wasn’t the fact that it was a little boring in-and-of-itself, more that the direct didn’t do much for me outside of a FF port or two and an AC announcement without any gameplay. Overall, the direct was only all right to me. (Though I am pretty pumped about Crystal Chronicles and the potential prospect of FF tactics).

That being said, I didn’t expect myself to be as interested in playing as Isabelle as I was after her reveal. Plus my wife is exceedingly excited for AC and Isabelle being playable so I’ll call tonight a win regardless. Happy wife, happy life as they say.
Wait, what about FF Tactics?

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Putting Smash disappointment aside, HOLY **** I CAN HAVE PORTABLE FFVII, FFIX, AND FFX IN ONE SYSTEM DAMN
Let me put those bad boys on my shelf and it'll be heavenly also nothing on tactics but I'm sure it'll be on eventually Skyblade12 Skyblade12

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
You sure it wasn't actually a Monster Hunter reference? They also have big red gadgety swords.
The monado LOOKED like the monado.

I can't really say for sure about an angle like this.

Sure, it could be a reference to GS. Or it could be nothing. (As horrible as it sounds.)

Because if it is a reference, it's a really obscure reference.

Being positive is not the same as having unrealistic expectations or not being prepared for things to not go the way you want.
Oh boy. Ain't that something to tell the person who's been waiting almost half of my life for new game in some of my favorite franchises.

No one can really be positive if it takes years upon years for anything concrete to take place.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

Sure, it could be a reference to GS. Or it could be nothing. (As horrible as it sounds.)

What Monaco reference are we talking about?

ZelDan

Smash Master
I mean, you already could if you owned a PSP. :p
True, they had to be downloaded ffrom the online shop and I don't think I had a good enough memory stick for the PSP.

I was able to get FFVII and Castlevania Chronicles and that was about it I think.

D

Deleted member

Congratulations! Your post just broke the game's highest programmable hit point register.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
BSPmq6h.png

This is the new update removing Isabelle

Isaac, Shadow, Skull Kid are the only ones I see being upgraded.

Isabelle destroyed the Echo idea so I see Shadow as a semi clone of sonic.

Skull Kid, idk I see as a boss with Nightmare.

Isaac I feel is 50/50
The rest will stay as AT

Metocles

Smash Journeyman

:laugh: I was just joking because of people comparing the Rathalos pic to MH, that's all. I played Xenoblade, so of course I know how iconic the Monado looks.

I'm sort of relieved this direct is over. Just means I can focus on other things in the meantime. Since I work 12 hour shifts, weeks and months go by really quickly, so it's only a matter of time before all the truth is revealed.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
The thing is...is unlike that tweet, the monado is pretty on the nose since it directly references Xenoblade.

But...I'm not too sure about the tweet anymore.
And imagine if Sakurai tweeted that out and Shulk wasn't in the game. He felt safe to tweet it out and not have to worry about endless, 'Oh please tell me this means Shulk's in!' comments cause he was in.

Also either the tweet is a GS reference or not. If you don't believe it is, no probs. We all were supporting Isaac and had faith in his ballot performance before the tweet. If the tweet is an intentional GS reference, all the more so to think Sakurai wouldn't tweet it out to hint at a character who's not even in the game or is just an assist. Also like you said unlike the Monado which is more of an obvious tease, with the screenshot he can't come out and say, 'Awesome screenshot! I love the Golden Sun series!' Not only would that give it away, he'd get tons of people on his behind in the replies lol.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Shadow would've been a bit more hype than Isabelle no offense. At least we'd get memes.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
I think a lot of people are saying Isabelle wasn't a big reveal because of the way the trailer was created.

It felt like Duck Hunt's Smash 4 trailer. Not much CG, didn't seem like much effort was put into it. Of course I know we all prefer time and resources spent on characters, but still.

The music wasn't hype, but its Animal Crossing, it won't have super crazy music (though I think a KK Slider song would have worked).
Semi Clone
Isabelle isn't a gaming heavy weight legend like the Belmonts, Ridley, or King K Rool

All of these elements made the trailer very lackluster, but if you look at it outside of a Smash perspective it was a pretty big reveal. New mainline Animal Crossing game. Though I guess that might have rubbed people the wrong way because now its not just a Smash trailer.

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
Dude I'm sorry but I just can't get on board with this. You're telling me Geno of all people would be a bigger reveal than Isabelle? Maybe to the Smashboards community, but nobody under the age of 25 or so probably even recognizes Geno, and among those only the hardcore gamers. Banjo would be a bigger reveal for sure in the West, but Isabelle was bound to be announced sometime, and this way they get to do it during a general direct aimed at a GENERAL audience, alongside the Animal Crossing for Switch reveal.

And when did Sakurai "prove" that he's not focusing on big contenders? When he revealed Ridley and K. Rool? The two characters with the largest and most outspoken fanbase on these entire forums for the past decade? Or how about when he revived Simon Belmont and gave him his own amazing stage with 30+ music tracks even though Castlevania is a dead series? If anything, he's been TOO generous to the core audience and a character or two like Isabelle was inevitable. Some people are never happy.

It's not like Isabelle was the final reveal or anything. Once we've seen all the characters and your favorite isn't on there, THEN I would understand all this sudden pessimism and bitterness. Not that I would join in because this game looks absolutely incredible.

I agree that this isn't exactly positive news for Isaac's chances specifically, but I'm already happy with the game either way. And as long as he isn't an Assist Trophy, he can always make it in as DLC. Clearly Sakurai is paying attention to fan demand. Just remember that Smashboards and GameFAQs and Reddit and 4Chan combined are maybe 5% of Smash's global audience.
Hey, I'm not saying I'm disappointed with the game, nor that there are no big contenders before that. Like I said, I took this interview to much to heart, and that's my bad. I thought DLC would be the way to please general audience, since it's the easy way to sell characters more efficiently.
I still think Geno was more demanded in the ballot, and believe I'm the first asking people to stay realistic and not being biaised by communtity polls on Internet. But still, Geno has a really big support, when Isabelle is just a popular Nintendo character like so many, so I don't think she harnest so many votes.

As for pessimism, I explained why. The roster is being filled little by little, Verge's leak is coming to be true, semi-clones, not only front runners... etc. We don't have reasons to think that Isaac has more chances than any other reasonnably popular characters now (and there are plenty of them).

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
And imagine if Sakurai tweeted that out and Shulk wasn't in the game. He felt safe to tweet it out and not have to worry about endless, 'Oh please tell me this means Shulk's in!' comments cause he was in.

Also either the tweet is a GS reference or not. If you don't believe it is, no probs. We all were supporting Isaac and had faith in his ballot performance before the tweet. If the tweet is an intentional GS reference, all the more so to think Sakurai wouldn't tweet it out to hint at a character who's not even in the game or is just an assist. Also like you said unlike the Monado which is more of an obvious tease, with the screenshot he can't come out and say, 'Awesome screenshot! I love the Golden Sun series!' Not only would that give it away, he'd get tons of people on his behind in the replies lol.
I mean...I'm not willing to believe that just because it seems like a stretch as of now.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 164013

Isaac I feel is 50/50
The rest will stay as AT
I made a post about it a while back, but there's some more to add to this. Mr. Resetti is on the Town and City stage part of the background - doubt he's an AT. Lakitu and Spinies I think is actually a stage hazard in the one Mario stage so he might not even return. Helirin is very doubtful as it wasn't in Sm4sh and nobody cared for it, but who knows it could return. Everybody else? Yeah, who knows. It'll be interesting coming down the stretch because ATs could just pop out from the woodwork for series that don't have one (Street Fighter, Punch-Out, Final Fantasy) or old Nintendo games brought back into light (Doshin, Tetris, etc.)

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm guess I'm just worried about how many other characters that could have been easy echo material, well, won't be? Will Shadow not be an echo and take the spot of a character that really COULDN'T be an echo?

Hrmmm...

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion

Yeah. I won't deny that AC was a big reveal for casuals. Both the game and in smash.

But the trailer was just lackluster to ME.

And if my opinion was important to the world, then F-Zero and Golden Sun would have new entries by now.

I hate this timeline.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don’t feel nothing for Isabelle.

But the possibilities of new semi clone characters, or characters based on others now increases. Now I want semi unique Impa and Dixie Kong.

No Isaac or Skull Kid is kind of a bummer however ......

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I'm not saying I'm disappointed with the game, nor that there are no big contenders before that. Like I said, I took this interview to much to heart, and that's my bad. I thought DLC would be the way to please general audience, since it's the easy way to sell characters more efficiently.
I still think Geno was more demanded in the ballot, and believe I'm the first askinh people to stay focuse and not being biaised by communtity polls on Internet. But still, Geno has a really big support, when Isabelle is just a popular Nintendo character like so many, so I don't think she harnest so many votes.

As for pessimism, I explained why. The roster is being filled little by little, Verge's leak is coming to be true, semi-clones, not only front runners... etc. We don't have reasons to think that Isaac has more chances than any other reasonnably popular characters (and there are plenty of them).
Yeah I'm sorry too, I just replied to that one particular post so I'm not quite aware of your general posting history, so I apologize if I mistook your opinion.

I think Geno being more demanded in the ballot is more of a function of who voted in the ballot. By definition, you'd have to be a pretty hardcore Smash Bros. fan to even hear about the ballot and then actually take the time to vote for it. Plenty of people like Animal Crossing but they wouldn't go out of their way to vote for a character like Isabelle. With that said, Sakurai is still quite aware of her general prominence. He said he was going mostly off the ballot, but we should't take that as gospel that he's ONLY using the ballot with no other considerations.

I don't remember exactly what Verge has hinted at, but iirc it was Ken, a non-Decidueye Pokemon rep, and a Square Enix rep (so probably Geno or Sora). If that was the case and we got nothing else, honestly I'd be fine with it for the base game. I have high confidence that we'll continue receiving DLC characters and stages for a loooong time after launch. Think about characters like Ryu or Cloud who were major bombshells that dropped not in the base game, but as DLC. The only thing that would seal Isaac's fate imo is an Assist Trophy reveal. Let's keep the faith, friends.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I actually think Isabelle was originally meant to be an echo, but through out development I reckon they gave her enough extra moves to make her count as her own character. Kinda helps Isaac's chances more if this is true

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 164013

Isaac I feel is 50/50
The rest will stay as AT
Isabelle returning means Mr. Resetti likely is coming back at Animal Crossing's Assist Trophy.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord

This.

Isabelle is an icon. The face of one of Nintendo’s best selling franchises. She’s on a whole different level from Geno and Isaac and the like. 100% deserving inclusion and in my opinion was bound to happen. In my mind Isaac’s chances are the exact same. There was about a 0.5% Isabelle wasn’t going to be in. I have no idea how people are taking this so hard.

I’m still feeling very optimistic and personally am very excited to try her out. She looks like a ton of fun, and is also the first semi clone we’ve gotten since Brawl, which is fantastic. Now they won’t need to force characters like Dixie and Shadow who have dozens of unique traits and strip them simply to meet the qualifications of an echo. This was a great reveal for me, and I’m excited to see how it effects speculation for the following months.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Sakurai once mention he tries not to tweet much anymore because he was worried people would read too much into him or something
I can finally play World of Final Fantasy on the Switch.
I love the art style of Worlds / That Puzzle game I can't spell... its so damn cute!

Ramza in Worlds when!?

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
This.

Isabelle is an icon. The face of one of Nintendo’s best selling franchises. She’s on a whole different level from Geno and Isaac and the like. 100% deserving inclusion and in my opinion was bound to happen. In my mind Isaac’s chances are the exact same. There was about a 0.5% Isabelle wasn’t going to be in. I have no idea how people are taking this so hard.

I’m still feeling very optimistic and personally am very excited to try her out. She looks like a ton of fun, and is also the first semi clone we’ve gotten since Brawl, which is fantastic. Now they won’t need to force characters like Dixie and Shadow who have dozens of unique traits and strip them simply to meet the qualifications of an echo. This was a great reveal for me, and I’m excited to see how it effects speculation for the following months.
I was expecting Isabella more as an Echo.
Honestly, since Dark Samus didn't get upgraded into a semi-clone like Isa, I'm a bit salty.

Then again, Isabella will always be more popular than Dark Samus. And that's a terrible, awful truth that I will have to accept.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
This.

She looks like a ton of fun, and is also the first semi clone we’ve gotten since Brawl, which is fantastic. Now they won’t need to force characters like Dixie and Shadow who have dozens of unique traits and strip them simply to meet the qualifications of an echo. This was a great reveal for me, and I’m excited to see how it effects speculation for the following months.
Actually that's a really great point I haven't seen anybody else bring up. I always thought it would be weird for Isabelle to have the EXACT same moveset as villager, and ditto for Dixie Kong (since when has she had Peanut Popguns or a jetpack??) but like many others I was trapped into the mentality that all new characters would either be wholly unique or Echoes. Once again, Sakurai disconfirms a rule that the Smash community had made up with no actual evidence at all. I still think Shadow would just be a straight echo, but if Dixie is in I can easily see her getting the Isabelle treatment. She can keep the banana and the side-B, have a new Neutral B, and a reworked up-B that uses her hair.

Top Bottom