• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
I saw that yesterday what I'm saying is I don't think they have info like that a very crazy accurate guess yes but I'm not giving them the they have insider info card you can and take whatever little thing they say as gospel but nah not gonna drink that Kool-Aid
Fair enough, I don't really care either way it is just an interesting topic of discussion.

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
I don't get why some people are so down. We can't throw in the towel every time another character gets revealed. Patience is apart of being an Isaac supporter. Some people have waited over 10 years for Isaac, and I think the wait is almost over. The game is not released yet and we are guaranteed to get another smash direct probably in November. Personally i'm excited even if he isn't in the base roster DLC is still a thing. I just hope he gets a cinematic trailer even if he is DLC.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Fair enough, I don't really care either way it is just an interesting topic of discussion.
I get you it is interesting that Kirby's Epic Yarn and the Final Fantasy thing happened but if that Golden Sun remake on the 3ds happened they have Insider info that's when they have it

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Oh I'm definitely still hoping.

As a side note, I'm almost glad that GS 4 leak for 3DS was bunk. I'm pretty sure a new GS game on 3DS would be doomed to fail. =(

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
I’m honestly astonished at the amount of pessimism right now. Again, I’ll keep my head high. I only mention DLC to prove that our fight to get Isaac in extends beyond the game’s release. It’s not over yet. It won’t be over until he’s an AT or until they close out DLC. And at that point. Isaac for Smash 6.

Golden Sun is my blood. Jupiter Ivan isn’t just a name I made for Smashboards, it’s my online persona. I will continue to fight for the franchise it means that much to me. And I will remain positive. There’s no point in getting upset.
I'm not surprised at all. This is the Isaac fanbase in a nutshell and this thread is proof of it even if you go thousands of posts back. The main reason Golden Sun remains so low-key is the fans are so critical of everything that occurs with it. Equally as good as it can get, the opposite is also the truth. We've had even lesser things than stuff like today happen and it gets blown out of proportion both ways but it always stays contained.

As for myself, I still have a lot of hope. I have to be honest, I thought today was working up to a reveal for us as well, but it wasn't in the cards. Happy for Isabelle fans but a bit confused seeing as she doesn't use many different things from the Villager in conjunction with perhaps the worst Smash trailer I've seen thus far. I thought AC had more stuff to draw from to make a whole newcomer if it actually got one, but then we get a newcomer and they use the same stuff other than the fishing rod and yield sign. If anything this is actually interesting because it means semi-clones are still here and they reused some assets here to get her in. Other than that, all of us knew she was a lock just as much as the Inklings were - we just all assumed Echo. But she's not too far from being an Echo either. This is the main reason you can't feel down on Isaac right now.

Even before today's reveal, you knew an Isabelle was going to happen and yet you still liked Isaac's chances as well. There's nothing that changed today in light of that. Most of us are even predicting more than that - most of us feel that Dixie is a lock and Shadow being likely as well.

I think Isaac is still on his way and in the base game, not DLC. There's too much pointing to his inclusion floating around. Like a previous user said, we still have a gigantic smash direct going on at some point. Talking about Spirits, the rest of the game modes, Smash online, bosses, etc. We'll get at least 2 bigger reveals in one with a few more sprinkled in. I still like our chances all things considered.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo was DLC due to fan demand

I feel like Sakurai did not see the true demand till the photo he posted

It makes sense to renew the trademark and start working on the DLC for the spring for smash

It just makes sense. He needs characters to sell

Isaac, Banjo and maybe an echo would be the first batch

We will get Early 2019 and late 2019 DLC

2-3 years

imo

No AT is good news. Just don't let the love for GS die, please. This is our final chance. Even if Isaac is not in Smash this is the only way Nintendo will see we want more GS after DD

Is the fan hype
Sakurai knew the fan demand thats why he posted the picture. Having fans and youtubers talk and promote Isaac before his announcement will help his reception with casuals who have no idea who he is

Also it wasnt just me that had Golden Sun music playing before the direct right?

SlyRocko

Smash Rookie
I think the only reason why Isabelle was shown now was that she is linked to Animal Crossing 2019 and this is a normal Nintendo Direct. They're probably trying to be safe with revealing characters by doing this so people outside of smash (that like Animal Crossing probably) can get interested in Smash. I find it highly unlikely that Isabelle is the last character to be introduced, and I also find it highly unlikely that Isaac did badly in the Smash Ballot. He is coming guys, hopefully as a fighter.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Because Isabelle is a “muh relevancy” character who had little Ballot presence and didn’t get popularity for a year and a half later. She puts the game right back into the Smash 4 mindset of advertising only, and kills any and all hope for new franchises. And I can’t say much more in a polite fashion.
Isabelle's been quite popular out there for a while now, made appearances in games outside of AC, and generally has become a big mascot of the series. I really believe she got chosen well on her own merits by that all.

Anyway, ya'll need to cool down. Isabelle's addition is more harmless than you all believe. Being a semi-clone isn't necessarily as heavily resource-inducing as a fully unique newcomer.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I hate to agree, but I kind of do. I gave it the benefit of the doubt when I first watched the Direct because the video quality was low, but then I watched it in HD. Yikes. It's like they just put the 3DS version in HD. I always thought that Dark Moon's graphics were mediocre compared to the original. The GCN Luigi's Mansion was highly detailed. Dark Moon, and now 3 are not. That's very disappointing considering what the Switch is capable of.
It's not only that. It's just they're continuing with that ****ing garbage style of 2. Luigi's mansion is one of the most atmospheric games ever, and Level-5 working on this garbage instead of what they ARE good at (Strikers), probably makes me more angry since it's like Level-5 didn't see any of the criticisms of the second game. Worst reveal of the direct by far.

I get being disappointed that all the pieces felt lined up for a possible Isaac reveal only to not get him, but some of the more drastic pessimistic posts have actually made me let out a few chuckles than doubt Isaac. I guess in hindsight it does make sense that Isaac or Geno didn't show up in this direct, these are characters that Sakurai will want to talk about, mention how requested there were and yada yada. But it was nice for a bit thinking we could have been out of speculation hell.
I'm sorry if I seem negative, but after what I planted into my head, I refuse to hype myself of GS content being in Smash. Ever again.

I'll still hope for Isaac, but with the impending release of smash U, I can't help but feel the chances are still dwindling for him to be in base.

That's just my opinion.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
When they showed all the Square stuff I thought it was gonna be Geno

I think they got teased way worse than us lol
If anything, all the Square stuff would be teasing Sephiroth, not Geno.

They just announced Final Fantasy VII (among others) for the Switch in the near future. This means Sakurai doesn't need to have any misgivings about including more Final Fantasy VII characters, just saying.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Today was disappointing but don't lose hope people look on the bright side we have final fantasy on our console and it isn't crap like final fantasy 15 pocket or phone edition idk

Confirmation

Smash Ace
I finally saw the Direct.

Haha what? I know Isaac was expecting a lot, but I thought there'd be a hype reveal. Isabelle being unique..that's er, something. At least this nukes literally every leak out there, none of these guys are legit now.

Still though, I could hear the hype escaping every board like someone was deflating a balloon lol.

ItsYio

Smash Rookie
Overall a decent direct, I'm glad we're getting so many FF titles brought to the switch. I see it as a good sign of more FF music being added to smash ultimate as a result.

Isabelle in smash was just OK to me. Her reveal was very comfy, which caught me so off guard since I was expecting the action and hype of the last two smash directs. The fact that she wasn't given a crazy detailed and well animated CG trailer actually makes me relieved. Since I can see them saving such high production trailers for more "exciting" newcomers like isaac, Geno, Banjo, etc.

Tbh I would have preferred Tom Nook sleepily smacking opponents around with big bags of money, but Isabelle is a good choice too. Overall, I'm happy and hopeful! And eagerly awaiting the next Smash direct :D

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
I finally saw the Direct.

Haha what? I know Isaac was expecting a lot, but I thought there'd be a hype reveal. Isabelle being unique..that's er, something. At least this nukes literally every leak out there, none of these guys are legit now.

Still though, I could hear the hype escaping every board like someone was deflating a balloon lol.
Vergeben was calling for Isabelle. But didn't say with certainty that she was an echo. He knew she was in the game according to what he said, but couldn't say with certainty echo or newcomer.

So honestly i'm in the camp that anything he says is legit at this point. lol

ItsYio

Smash Rookie
100% they have inside info.

100%, they play it off like they don't but Andre has connections.
I gotta say I definitely agree...Those FF predictions were waaaay too spot on. He even skipped FF8! And that's exactly the one the switch isn't getting lol. I'm excited to see more vids from these guys for sure.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Isabelle's trailer is 134, the post directly after Alolan Exeggutor. I'm still curious about the other posts, though.

There were tons of great reveals in the Direct. Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing Switch are great reveals, as is all the FF games coming. I love it.

I missed him saying Isabelle as a non-Echo reveal. But yeah, Jon definitely has insider info. He probably saw the Direct in advance.

This is complete horse****. Isabelle means literally JACK **** about Isaac or anyone else.

I've seen people thinking they'd use Isaac to tease a new GS, but personally I doubt it. I think if Isaac gets revealed, he'll just be revealed whenever Sakurai is up to it, and it'll be used as proof Isaac was drawn specifically from the ballot, similar to K. Rool.
JaidynReiman JaidynReiman So, summing it all up with Isabelle there, where does it leave us with the other numbers at this point? Is it possible that there was the potential for more to be revealed in the Direct but was cut out or is there now no more room with post numbers for another potential newcomer?

I'm actually sort of curious because I wonder if it wasn't that Isabelle's trailer replaced Isaac's or whoever (obviously because the trailer revealed AC for 2019), but could it have been in a different spot in the Direct with another reveal at the very end? For instance, imagine if you put the AC trailer at the very beginning of the entire Nintendo Direct - that would have been more in line with the tone of that reveal and the video. It would have kick-started the entire video off with a huge reveal for the casual audience and given people a nice little Smash nod to start things off. Then you go through the rest of the Direct and give one final oomph with a traditional Smash reveal trailer. That's how Nintendo has always handled things like Smash in the past.

At the very least, the tone of the Isabelle and AC trailer doesn't line up AT ALL with how you would organize a game display like they normally do. Call me tinfoil hat, but it's fun to think about these things. Just wondering if the post numbers also corroborate anything like that.

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
Not digging the direction this thread is going in right now, hopefully a select few of you will slap yourselves awake after a while. Our optimism is all we have, it’s what got us here in the first place.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I'm disappointed too guys especially after all the Isaac hype happening last night but I feel some are you are going overboard with pessimism. Isabelle is the mascot for an upcoming game that looks like a semi clone. That doesn't affect Isaac besides a roster slot that's not too drastic. I've been on this ride for so long that I'm not going to end this in disappointment. I believe he still has a strong shot and I'm not stopping until he is a playable character

Yggdra

Smash Rookie
So honestly i'm in the camp that anything he says is legit at this point. lol
I'm not sold into any leaker, anything and everything they say has to be taken with a grain of salt, even the most famous leakers out there can have misinformation.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I want Isaac as much as anyone else here but let's have a little perspective, fellas. Animal Crossing is absolutely MASSIVE, especially in Japan, and Isabelle is the series mascot. I was expecting her to be an Echo as well but being a semi-clone with a few original moves fits her very well and she certainly deserves it.

Moreover, this was a general Direct, so it wasn't aimed exclusively at the Smash audience, and she was the perfect character to pair up with the bombshell announcement of Animal Crossing Switch, which a LOT of my more casual friends have been anticipating for a really long time.
Let me tell you guys I'm in a chat group with a lot of my other gamer friends and they were VERY excited to see Isabelle, but I think out of 15 or so people, maybe one other one would have even recognized Isaac.

I understand that we're upset because of all the clues and the delay but remember that we have to hype RESPONSIBLY. And personally I'm just happy we got someone who wasn't yet another Fire Emblem Awakening or Fates Marth clone (or Incineroar lol).

If Isaac is in the game (and I still believe he is), he would make sense as a reveal in a more Smash focused Direct. If he received a new stage, that would probably require its own little segment to explain as well.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
The Rathalos tweet. Let's not be too quick to throw it under the bus. I still consider it a GS reference and a lot of effort put into it for a single screenshot.

When Sakurai tweeted out the picture of the Monado, Shulk wasn't instantly the next reveal. He, in fact, wouldn't be revealed till a year later, he was one of the last characters revealed. Of course we don't have to wait that long, even if Isaac is the last character revealed.

If you want to say the Rathalos tweet isn't a GS reference, that's one thing. But it's silly to instead think Sakurai will willingly tweet out something that he knows is a GS reference to get fans hopes up for a character he never intended to have in the game in the first place. Especially when he already says he's conscious of what he tweets and has yet to post any other screenshot on his twitter.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Guys guys guys. Calm down. It was a regular direct. The previous regular direct sorta got taken over so it's understandable that there was only one reveal.
And Isabelle is a dorb. So I'm all right with that. The trailer even felt perfectly acceptable for a character like Isabelle. It also makes sense that Isabelle would be in a regular direct rather than a smash direct, given the character and the fact that Animal Crossing is incredibly popular with a huge amount of Nintendo fans.
It makes sense to leave fan favorites for a smash centered direct.

Quite a few things in the direct peaked my interest.
Luigi's Mansion 3, Chibi Final Fantasy, Katamari Switch, Crystal Chronicles Remaster

Although at this point, after seeing the direct, I'm fairly sure they simply waited a week out of respect due to the Quake.

I also had a thought about the trademark renewals. Maybe Camelot has begun work/is nearly finished with some sort of Golden Sun renewal/4th game, and thus the trademark renewals?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Because Isabelle is a “muh relevancy” character who had little Ballot presence and didn’t get popularity for a year and a half later. She puts the game right back into the Smash 4 mindset of advertising only, and kills any and all hope for new franchises. And I can’t say much more in a polite fashion.

Also, I lost the Isaac fan art I’d commissioned from Chibi, and I’m really bummed about it.
I don’t think Isabelle had a poor showing at the ballot, she’s really one of Nintendo’s latest breakout stars. Sure she probably didn’t perform to the level of Ridley, K. Rool, Geno, even Isaac or Dee, but still.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Yeah, let's just hype responsibly from now on.

And no. Isabella as a character is fine. But that reveal trailer....

Complete ****.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Welll on the bright side, Isaac's Assist trophy from Brawl hasn't returned or been spotted yet....lol

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Yeah anybody who thinks Isabelle doesn't have massive recognizability or that people wouldn't be excited by her is deluding themselves or lives in some hardcore gamer bubble. I see 50 year old women playing Pocket Camp on the train every damn day. Let's tone down the bitterness, guys. Sakurai has already spoiled us hardcore fans with RIDLEY, K. ROOL, SIMON, RICHTER, other highly requested echoes....did you guys think the casual Smash audience wouldn't get thrown a bone?

Last edited:

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
I don't think anyone is being unreasonably upset. Just normal upset. :p
Actualy, I am.

I didn't expect Isaac at all. But I was certain that a big character would be announced, like Geno, Rayman, Banjo, whatever... Because I really took Sakurai's last interview to heart, with him saying he's referring to the ballot for newcomers.

But Isabelle ?! And a semi-clone on top of that ? Plus, it gave even more credibility to Verge who leaks so many things that I personnaly think is anti-hype.

I won't lie, I'm more salty than the dead sea, right now.

As for the pessimism, I think people kinda start to worry now : Sakurai proves us that he's not focusing on the big contenders, and can "waste" a slot with semi-clone fighters. Because yeah, you're all right to say that Isabelle doesn't disconfirm Isaac in the slightest, but the roster is still limited, and Isaac had already more serious contenders than Isabelle. And with Verge being right one more time, we could get another slot taken by a pokemon, so it reduced our chances even more.

Isaac has still his chances. But for me, they are now significantly lower. If Isabelle can get in, there are now so many characters not being frontrunner who can, and it concerns me.

Also...

Freaking FFIX is being port on a Nintendo Console. Best Nintendo Direct ever.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Saw the Direct. Congrats to Isabelle fans . Moved away from Animal Crossing games post City Folk, but I did really enjoy Villager's playstyle in 4. Isabelle looks suitably fun as well. Haven't been up to date on any rumors or boosh, but I am still remaining hopeful for any Golden Sun content in Ultimate. On a side note, with the success of Octopath, what if a Golden Sun Sequel gets the HD Pixel Art Treatment?

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
The Rathalos tweet. Let's not be too quick to throw it under the bus. I still consider it a GS reference and a lot of effort put into it for a single screenshot.

When Sakurai tweeted out the picture of the Monado, Shulk wasn't instantly the next reveal. He, in fact, wouldn't be revealed till a year later, he was one of the last characters revealed. Of course we don't have to wait that long, even if Isaac is the last character revealed.

If you want to say the Rathalos tweet isn't a GS reference, that's one thing. But it's silly to instead think Sakurai will willingly tweet out something that he knows is a GS reference to get fans hopes up for a character he never intended to have in the game in the first place. Especially when he already says he's conscious of what he tweets and has yet to post any other screenshot on his twitter.
The thing is...is unlike that tweet, the monado is pretty on the nose since it directly references Xenoblade.

But...I'm not too sure about the tweet anymore.

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
Consider this: the whole Sun/Moon theory that there’s been talk of. I’m not usually a tin foil hat type, but the next Smash Direct could very well reveal Isaac, Skull Kid and the Gen 7 Pokemon. It almost makes too much sense. I still think all those characters will be revealed, so why wouldn’t they do it that way with two months to reveal info? Then what do they do for the final reveal? BAM! Geno. It’s just a thought...

Last edited:

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Saw the Direct. Congrats to Isabelle fans . Moved away from Animal Crossing games post City Folk, but I did really enjoy Villager's playstyle in 4. Isabelle looks suitably fun as well. Haven't been up to date on any rumors or boosh, but I am still remaining hopeful for any Golden Sun content in Ultimate. On a side note, with the success of Octopath, what if a Golden Sun Sequel gets the HD Pixel Art Treatment?
That would definitely be cool

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
Moving on to something lighter, if Isaac ends up getting in and has Move as one of his specials, I will shamelessly make a bad montage of getting kills with it while this music plays in the background.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Consider this: the whole Sun/Moon theory that there’s been talk of. I’m not usually a tin foil hat type, but the next Smash Direct could very well reveal Isaac, Skull Kid and the Gen 7 Pokemon. It almost makes too much sense. I still think all those characters will be revealed, so why wouldn’t they do it that way with two months to reveal info? Then what do they do for the final reveal? BAM! Geno. It’s just a thought...
Could make sense to combine those two, and then combine for instance Geno and Banjo.

Sordim522

Smash Cadet
My problem with Isabelle’s trailer wasn’t the fact that it was a little boring in-and-of-itself, more that the direct didn’t do much for me outside of a FF port or two and an AC announcement without any gameplay. Overall, the direct was only all right to me. (Though I am pretty pumped about Crystal Chronicles and the potential prospect of FF tactics).

That being said, I didn’t expect myself to be as interested in playing as Isabelle as I was after her reveal. Plus my wife is exceedingly excited for AC and Isabelle being playable so I’ll call tonight a win regardless. Happy wife, happy life as they say.

Top Bottom