• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
The competition will be tough. All you need to think about and do is push for Isaac. I'll repeat this sentence as many time as possible, I'm ready for the battle ahead!

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Just doing my usual check in and I have to agree that what I’ve read of the “plan” is a mess.

As I’ve suggested before, I believe it’s best to focus on a new/remake Golden Sun game as that makes us look more like fans as opposed to being called whiners. However, let’s assume Sakurai and his team really haven’t already planned the DLC. That would mean Sakurai wanted to put as many favorites in the game as he could and maybe assist trophies still have a chance to be promoted so don’t lose hope.

Anyways, the base plan of action to me would be to have a good artist who is a Golden Sun fan draw two pics! One featuring Isaac, Felix and Matthew to highlight the 3 games. Maybe have the Smash logo in the sun above them as they wait for a fourth installment in the series. The pic can also have two links attached to it:
1. Being a petition for a new Golden Sun game on the Switch! (Possibly make one of the two pics subtly hint at not letting the new trademark go to waste.)
2. Still hoping for Isaac petition for Smash DLC.

If all the different groups for Isaac and Golden Sun come together then the numbers of support will look much better which is the most important thing!

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Just doing my usual check in and I have to agree that what I’ve read of the “plan” is a mess.

As I’ve suggested before, I believe it’s best to focus on a new/remake Golden Sun game as that makes us look more like fans as opposed to being called whiners. However, let’s assume Sakurai and his team really haven’t already planned the DLC. That would mean Sakurai wanted to put as many favorites in the game as he could and maybe assist trophies still have a chance to be promoted so don’t lose hope.

Anyways, the base plan of action to me would be to have a good artist who is a Golden Sun fan draw two pics! One featuring Isaac, Felix and Matthew to highlight the 3 games. Maybe have the Smash logo in the sun above them as they wait for a fourth installment in the series. The pic can also have two links attached to it:
1. Being a petition for a new Golden Sun game on the Switch! (Possibly make one of the two pics subtly hint at not letting the new trademark go to waste.)

If all the different groups for Isaac and Golden Sun come together then the numbers of support will look much better which is the most important thing!
I mean, yeah, of course things are going to be a little disjointed. We all have differing viewpoints on things.

Take me, for example, I’ll still support Isaac for smash, but that’s not going to be my focus anymore. That ship has kinda sailed.

What I want to focus on is just bringing Golden Sun back into light.

But I know many others are still focused on Smash. And that’s fine too. That’s their prerogative.

I do believe we should be careful about this approach. Ultimately we need to act like Golden Sun fans. Not Isaac fans. Get what I mean? Especially on Golden Sunday. I almost feel like we should do our best to leave Smash out of that completely.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
The competition will be tough. All you need to think about and do is push for Isaac. I'll repeat this sentence as many time as possible, I'm ready for the battle ahead!
And to show Nintendo as well that we are willing to fork over our money to them for our favorite ATs to be upgraded.

Heck, I wouldn't mind if they never even touch the ATs while the promoted AT is on the stage. Think about it. There will be people who can't afford to or cannot buy certain characters. And trying to keep everyone's game updated might be a nightmare. Especially during online matches. But that's my take on it.

TappyBat

Smash Ace

then help please we need leaders

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
imho I think the easiest thing for promoted ATs would be to just disable the AT from spawning while someone is playing as that character.
Considering Chrom, I don't even think that's a big deal in general. Also, AT's are involved in specific events, so you can't exactly do this, but again, I don't necessarily think it even matters.

On the other hand, there is a possible solution so you don't have to have Isaac AT alongside Isaac (even though, again, it doesn't really matter considering Chrom's situation), and that's replacing Isaac with Garet. Garet can still use all the abilities Isaac's AT could, and it leaves Matthew open as a possible alt or Felix as a possible bonus Echo (neither of which are guarantees, but work perfectly well on their own).

That said, I still think the most likely thing is any AT's promoted to playable still have the AT available, simply because they didn't care about that for Chrom either.

I'm pretty sure Sakurai already planned the DLC, but that still doesn't mean AT's can't get promoted. Maybe he just didn't want to leave Isaac out of the game again while he works on Isaac as a fully playable character as well. AT's have a bigger role than mere spirits, especially because they are being used in various events in-game. Isaac being an AT gives Golden Sun a role in the base game it wouldn't be able to get otherwise.

There's a known event where King K. Rool is the Imprisoned being defended by Ghirahim, for example.

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I mean, yeah, of course things are going to be a little disjointed. We all have differing viewpoints on things.

Take me, for example, I’ll still support Isaac for smash, but that’s not going to be my focus anymore. That ship has kinda sailed.

What I want to focus on is just bringing Golden Sun back into light.

But I know many others are still focused on Smash. And that’s fine too. That’s their prerogative.

I do believe we should be careful about this approach. Ultimately we need to act like Golden Sun fans. Not Isaac fans. Get what I mean? Especially on Golden Sunday. I almost feel like we should do our best to leave Smash out of that completely.
I’m in 100% agreement which is why I talked about that very thing but I know a lot of fans won’t be able to let Smash go which is why I came up with the possible option of two different pics/memes. Ultimately we should focus on a new game or remake as the major point is to get Golden Sun back in the spotlight.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I’m in 100% agreement which is why I talked about that very thing but I know a lot of fans won’t be able to let Smash go which is why I came up with the possible option of two different pics/memes. Ultimately we should focus on a new game or remake as the major point is to get Golden Sun back in the spotlight.
I stated this in the Angara Continent Discord as well earlier. Focus should be more on a new game than anything. That's what the Kutthroats did post-Smash. Rather than focusing on Smash, they focused on just getting K. Rool back in general.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
It technically wouldn't be too hard to make an assist trophy into a fighter. Since there are already 50+ assist trophy characters, just make assist trophies unable to spawn Isaac if someone is playing as him. It's simple enough and most people won't even notice due to the huge amount of ATs.

D

Deleted member

Sounds good, great luck with everything.

Do what you can the 11th will be fun.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
then help please we need leaders
I really wish I could. Unfortunately I don’t have the time to be in that role due to work as well as another project I’m working on. I’ll always be here for support as well as coming up with possible ideas during my free time such as right now though...

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
I agree that Golden Sun day should be more oriented for talk about Golden Sun in general, but at the same time I will still be pushing for Isaac as dlc before and afterwards. The fact that Robin's final smash was hidden for far too long only for it to end up being the same has lead me to bury the idea of assist characters = deconfirmed as potential DLC candidates.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Well I mean we need to do something because we have competition Shantae Campaign is well underway so we need to move sooner rather then later

D

Deleted member

I mean as long as we do something shantae supporters a very loud and even with the creator joining in come in hard
As much as I love Shantae, WayForward is always obnoxious when it comes to Smash. Them being involved changes nothing

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I still wonder if we can get the attention of the Takahashi brothers or at least one of them on 11/11... is that at all possible? Are they even active on their Twitters much? If anything, we'd need to have some posts in Japanese to help make it more clear to them.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Considering Chrom, I don't even think that's a big deal in general. Also, AT's are involved in specific events, so you can't exactly do this, but again, I don't necessarily think it even matters.

On the other hand, there is a possible solution so you don't have to have Isaac AT alongside Isaac (even though, again, it doesn't really matter considering Chrom's situation), and that's replacing Isaac with Garet. Garet can still use all the abilities Isaac's AT could, and it leaves Matthew open as a possible alt or Felix as a possible bonus Echo (neither of which are guarantees, but work perfectly well on their own).

That said, I still think the most likely thing is any AT's promoted to playable still have the AT available, simply because they didn't care about that for Chrom either.
Yeah honestly this would be just as fine. The main point was to say that there are plenty of easy solutions to the "problem" of having an AT being playable.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I still wonder if we can get the attention of the Takahashi brothers or at least one of them on 11/11... is that at all possible? Are they even active on their Twitters much? If anything, we'd need to have some posts in Japanese to help make it more clear to them.
This is such a good idea! Are they on Twitter?

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I really wish we weren't so in the dark in regards to Camelot and Golden Sun. It makes me feel like it's more of a shot in the dark than trying to break out of this assist trophy barrier. I know we bring up how Monolith Soft could take over for the brothers, but nothing can get anywhere if all this lore stays in the Takahashi brothers heads. Didn't one of them express wanting to work on a Shining Force 4? But to get a Golden Sun 4 it comes down to fan demand? We're stuck on this almost decade long cliffhanger, the main character of the series could be dead even, but there doesn't seem to be any interest in wanting to tell the end of this story. There is an end right? It doesn't come off as one of those series that changes cast and goes on forever.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I really wish we weren't so in the dark in regards to Camelot and Golden Sun. It makes me feel like it's more of a shot in the dark than trying to break out of this assist trophy barrier. I know we bring up how Monolith Soft could take over for the brothers, but nothing can get anywhere if all this lore stays in the Takahashi brothers heads. Didn't one of them express wanting to work on a Shining Force 4? But to get a Golden Sun 4 it comes down to fan demand? We're stuck on this almost decade long cliffhanger, the main character of the series could be dead even, but there doesn't seem to be any interest in wanting to tell the end of this story. There is an end right? It doesn't come off as one of those series that changes cast and goes on forever.
Funny, because, personally, I’m thinking the opposite. I think the only real hope for Isaac in Smash is for Golden Sun to become relevant again. And the only way to make that happen is to show that we still care about the franchise. Both are long shots, but I’m not confident in the least that we can break Isaac out of his role as an AT. At least not until the next Smash game. I’ll gladly put my doubts on a sheet of paper and eat it whole if I’m wrong.

It is fine if they prefer not to join forces, but we just need to remember not to make them enemies.
it doesn’t hurt to ask if the other fandbases will join our cause. But let’s not be aggressive or annoying about it. A one and done approach would be best.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Funny, because, personally, I’m thinking the opposite. I think the only real hope for Isaac in Smash is for Golden Sun to become relevant again. And the only way to make that happen is to show that we still care about the franchise. Both are long shots, but I’m not confident in the least that we can break Isaac out of his role as an AT. At least not until the next Smash game. I’ll gladly put my doubts on a sheet of paper and eat it whole if I’m wrong.

it doesn’t hurt to ask if the other fandbases will join our cause. But let’s not be aggressive or annoying about it. A one and done approach would be best.
It's just a case of having more information to work with on one side vs the other. With Smash we know that the community is watched, Reggie's statement in regards to the Waluigi fanbase. Sakurai being aware of how much Ridley was wanted in the west, stating how King K. Rool made an impact in the ballot. We know that Sakurai changes his mind on things and break fan rules all the time. We know he watches reactions on his Smash presentations and dabbles in his twitter from time to time. Info like this helps us to adjust accordingly to know what we can do. Doesn't mean it'll work of course, but it seems reachable to achieve. At least until Sakurai comes out and states how he had no plans period to upgrade any assist trophies this game.

On the other side bringing Golden Sun back. Being in the dark makes it hard to know even what the brothers meant that it'd be back by fan demand. Do they want to see more fan art? Do they want us to set up a donation? Do they need proof by petition? Do they want to see a fan account with a lot of followers? Is Isaac getting all this attention from just having an assist trophy in Smash enough for them to see how much the fans are still appreciative and fond of Golden Sun? They're not active on twitter so we can't even @ them. It's harder to know what they'll see or notice from the efforts we put in or what will make the biggest impact for them. With no updates we're left thinking it's just about fan demand but you wonder if it's more going on behind the scenes that we're not aware of. Regardless I'll still put in the efforts to help obviously and will eat my words too lol.

D

Deleted member

Will do my best on the 11th let’s show Nintendo Golden Sun.

Is alive and kicking.

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone talked to any of the other fanbases stuck in AT hell to set something up? Because I’ve only seen the Golden Sunday plan.
Myself and Oracle_Summon Oracle_Summon have made the rounds to some of the other threads to spread the word. I think it would be best if someone made a thread for the #UpgradeAssists movement to congregate. That way all of the threads would be together and we could all form our plan of attack. I did make a petition, but i'm not sure if that one will be the one the movement gets behind.

Also I don't know if someone has already said this (not currently caught up), but we should also tweet at Camelot to remind them about Golden Sun and its fans on Golden Sunday.

TappyBat

Smash Ace
Myself and Oracle_Summon Oracle_Summon have made the rounds to some of the other threads to spread the word. I think it would be best if someone made a thread for the #UpgradeAssists movement to congregate. That way all of the threads would be together and we could all form our plan of attack. I did make a petition, but i'm not sure if that one will be the one the movement gets behind.

Also I don't know if someone has already said this (not currently caught up), but we should also tweet at Camelot to remind them about Golden Sun and its fans on Golden Sunday.
Not sure if the company has one but I know on of the Takahashi bros does. It seems to be infrequent though

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
I agree we should support the revival of the Golden Sun series, but I disagree with those saying we should stop asking for Isaac to be playable in Smash Ultimate. We should do both. The Switch is gonna have a long life which means the next Smash game isn't coming anytime soon. And to me it seems a little easier to get Sakurai to change his mind and do a second wave of DLC where he upgrades assists to fighters, than to convince Nintendo to let Camelot do something that isn't a Mario sports game and also convince Camelot to put together a team that could make a new GS game.

If Isaac becomes playable, a new GS game will be more likely to come out and do well, but if a new GS game is released without much hype and bombs again, that'll be the final nail in the coffin for Isaac and the series.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I agree we should support the revival of the Golden Sun series, but I disagree with those saying we should stop asking for Isaac to be playable in Smash Ultimate. We should do both. The Switch is gonna have a long life which means the next Smash game isn't coming anytime soon. And to me it seems a little easier to get Sakurai to change his mind and do a second wave of DLC where he upgrades assists to fighters, than to convince Nintendo to let Camelot do something that isn't a Mario sports game and also convince Camelot to put together a team that could make a new GS game.

If Isaac becomes playable, a new GS game will be more likely to come out and do well, but if a new GS game is released without much hype and bombs again, that'll be the final nail in the coffin for Isaac and the series.
In all honesty, I cannot imagine a GS game releasing on Switch would bomb. Switch is hugely popular right now and has a lack of traditional turn-based JRPG's, with only Octopath filling that void. And Octopath has been massively successful. Plus, you can rest assured that Nintendo would promote the hell out of it this time.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Isaac for Smash Pls Isaac for Smash Pls i think you are the one who lives in Japan? Do correct me if I am wrong.
Would you be willing to help me translate some messages to post on the 11th? I have also seen some active Japanese artists sharing Golden Sun it would be nice to be able to invite them into the movement

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
In all honesty, I cannot imagine a GS game releasing on Switch would bomb. Switch is hugely popular right now and has a lack of traditional turn-based JRPG's, with only Octopath filling that void. And Octopath has been massively successful. Plus, you can rest assured that Nintendo would promote the hell out of it this time.
Agreed.

Dark Dawn still sold decently despite having a poorly timed release and no advertising at all. Imagine how it would have done if those things didn't happen. Probably still wouldn't have reached the first 2 games but I bet it would have sold a million at least.

And franchises have been setting plenty of records on the Switch. Even Xenoblade which is also considered rather niche.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Maybe in the past it would have but Xenoblade and Octopath Traveler have proven with the right marketing even JRPGs can be million sellers

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I am getting really tired of people calling Isaac an anime swordsman, especially after the direct with people insulting Isaac fans for wanting another one. He is a swordsman, but a sword wouldn't be a very big part of his moveset and is much more similar to an earthbender.

I think the anime swordsman is also overuesed against characters like Robin and Corrin, when one is centered around spells and the other around being a shapeshifting dragon

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
Here is my take on the situation at hand. Our goal right now should be Golden Sunday and promoting Golden Sun. We really should get Billybo10k, Red and Ryrule on board with this. Maybe have someone stream Golden Sun and do a boss rush so people not familiar with GS can see the action in it. After Golden Sunday I really think we should push the #UpgradeAssists movement along side other AT fanbases. I think its pretty obvious that there is a disconnect between Sakurai and fans on how we view assist trophies. For me the ultimate goal of the #UpgradeAssists movement isn't getting these characters playable in this game, as even I am skeptical that it will work. Sure it may work and it is definitely worth trying, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Sakurai views ATs as endearing and an achievement to take pride in. I feel if we don't make enough noise to get his or Nintendo's attention on this topic; he may feel that he pleased fans with the assist trophies. If he feels that way he is more likely to bring back popular ATs as you guessed it ATs. Sakurai is well aware that Waluigi fans aren't happy about Waluigi's situation, but he may view that as an outlier and not the norm. I feel it is best to get this movement off of the ground so we can present it to Nintendo in 2019 while the future 5 DLCs are being worked on. If there is a season 2 for DLC we may be able to influence the character choices before they are made.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
What are the hashtags for Golden Sunday? Could get something to trend if we're all doing it at a certain time.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
GoldenSunday BringBackGoldenSun GoldenSunRevival Isaac4Smash are good examples, but if you ask me our best chances are pushing GoldenSun as a hashtag too, a lot of people noticed GS was trending when the trademark thing happened in September so getting it trending again just would be good news

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well I mean we need to do something because we have competition Shantae Campaign is well underway so we need to move sooner rather then later
That campaign won't amount to anything.
Every character had a campaign during the ballot, it won't stop the cream rising to the top. ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If y'all are planning a hashtag for "golden sunday" (nice name!) then it should be something simple and easy with little to no variation if you wanna get it trending

#IsaacForSmash or #GoldenSun are good or if y'all are going for the unified AT route #PlayableAssists are all cool I think

Top Bottom