• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Besides Isaac, would you be happy with anyone else announced?

I would be happy with Ray and Andy, but I think their chances are so slim I'm rooting most for Isaac.

As for anyone else it would be Bandana Dee or maybe a F-Zero character just so it increases the chance of it getting a sequel. I personally can't think of any editional characters I would particularly get super hyped for.

Dixie and Shadow are "Well duh" territory for echoes. Then it would be cool to see more Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon, but I would have mostly neutral feelings for those. There are some Fire Emblem axe users and lance users I want too, but the series representation is already bloated as it is. So I wouldn't really be that hyped.
Anything but Pokemon since it's more expected and I just want another fan favorite ballot pick confirmed already.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
Hello everyone !

I finally decide to register to the boards, since I follow this thread since page 180 or so. (Also, sorry for my English, french here).
I'm a huge Isaac supporter since the brawl era, so you can count me among you for the support list.

Welcome!

I like Isaac friend name, VLAD, it sounds cool

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
It is strange, for the e3 presentation I was not expecting Ridley. For the Smash direct I was expecting King K. Rool (it was a gut feeling). For this direct I don't know how I feel.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
I felt the same as you guys the day before K. Rool was revealed, don't lose hope! The hints are there, it is definitely possible. Good luck!!!!

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Hello everyone !

I finally decide to register to the boards, since I follow this thread since page 180 or so. (Also, sorry for my English, french here).
I'm a huge Isaac supporter since the brawl era, so you can count me among you for the support list.

Recently, I post this kinda long message about Isaac on the french Smash Facebook community. It got some success and be translated elsewhere so I was thinking it could be a good idea to share it with you people. I don't think you'll learn anything new though, since it's pretty much a recap about you also said in this thread concerning Isaac's chances.

Anyway, here you go :

(I didn't wrote my original message in english so shout outs to @Selman Ghaoui on Facebook for translating it.)

ISAAC's CASE:
All right, I'v decided to recap the factors that point to Isaac's inclusion in Smash Bros. I find that his chances increased with the phenomenal hype around this character (Isaac is the most supported character on Smashboards, aka the largest Smash Bros. forum)
I myself was very surprised to see how my opinion changed over time, from denial to hope.
First, I will review the arguments against his inclusion, then the favorable arguments, and then discuss the potential clues left by Sakurai. I will not talk about leaks, because it is impossible to know which are real and which are fake (and until now, all the leaks are debunked one after the other).

AGAINST :

- Golden Sun is a "dead" license:
This argument is heavily criticized, since several exceptions have already proven that Sakurai is cool with resurrecting old and forgotten characters (such as R.O.B, Ice Climbers, Pit, Duck Hunt Duo). Even more so when we now know that Sakurai is focusing on the poll results for the Ultimate roster.

- He's a swordsman:
As ridiculous as it may be, I will still take the time to answer this psychotic phobia that some people have against swords. First, Sakurai has already explained that the fact that a character weilds a sword is not prohibitive as long as its gameplay is creative and interesting (Shulk and Robin for example). It just happens that Isaac has potential for a moveset almost unlimited as his psynergies (elementary magic) are numerous (more than a hundred of them) as well as his Djinns (72) and his summons (29). Isaac also knows his way with axes and maces.

- Golden Sun is a niche license:
It isn't as niche as much as we think it is. The success of Golden Sun was so great that it became one of the most well-known games on the GBA, to the point that it was one of the few games (alongside Zelda, Mario and Pokemon) to appear on the art box of the GBA and the GBA SP. Even though the license has indeed lost its popularity as the years go by, it has undoubtedly left an indelible mark on Nintendo's game library.

- There are more popular characters:
This is certainly the biggest obstacle to Isaac's inclusion in Smash Bros. Even if the results of the polls on the internet shows that Isaac was indeed popular, we can't know where he ranks with the 1.8 million votes. Characters like Geno, Banjo & Kazooie and Rayman might have got him right.

- Sakurai announced that only a handful of newcomers will make it to the roster:
Coupled with the argument above, this is what makes Isaac's inclusion uncertain. It all depends on his results in the Smash ballot. Note however, that with the inclusion of Ridley and K.Rool, there aren't many competitors who can overshadow Isaac now. With these few newcomers (not counting the echoes), if Sakurai had in mind a dozen new characters, that increases the chances of Isaac considerably. But if there are only 2 or 3 spots left, however...

FAVORABLE :

- The fact that Golden Sun is an extremely popular license is undisputable, its critical and commercial success is there (if we exclude Dark Dawn on the DS). Golden Sun has made an impression, and that's certainly why Isaac is requested so much by the fans.

- Golden Sun is not a third party license:
This means that it is much simpler for Sakurai to include Isaac, since he has already announced in a recent interview that including a character from a third party license is often laborious. This could give him priority over Geno (Square Enix) and Banjo & Kazooie (Rare).

- Smash Bros has already included Golden Sun related content:
The most notable being obviously the appearance of Isaac as an assist trophey, but also the inclusion of two songs from Golden Sun in Brawl. Note that additional music (Weyard, Golden Sun Dark Dawn) has also been added in Smash for WiiU & 3DS. This means that Sakurai is well aware of the existence and popularity of Golden Sun, and has not forgotten it. Recall also that we have already had the case of an assist trophey being promoted as a playable character: Little Mac.

- Isaac seems to have had very good results in polls dating back to the time of the Smash ballot:
Although we do not have access to the official results of the ballot, many polls on the net tried to count the votes for Isaac and he constantly ranks in the top 10 at worst (he's often top 3). I had shared a few days ago the census of several polls compiling more than 44 000 votes, showing Isaac in second position right after King K.Rool. If Isaac might not have ranked as well as in the ballot, this sample would still show the great popularity of Isaac.

- Sakurai focuses on poll results for Ultimate roster:
He said it explicitly in a recent interview. Combined with the argument above and the recent inclusion of K.Rool, this can only augur well for Isaac.

- Isaac's popularity is exploding:
Recently, on the 4chan sites, Gamefaqs, Smashboard and Reddit: Isaac seems to be the most promoted newcomer (to the point that anti-Isaac groups have emerged, it echoes the previous success of Ridley at the time of Smash 4). All leaks also focus on Isaac's presence to gain credibility. If Isaac is not included in the basic roster, then it is possible that he arrives as DLC given his new and growing popularity.

- Isaac has an unlimited potential for his moveset:
I have already spoken about it in the counter argument about his status as a swordsman. Isaac offers loads of possibilities that the fans are unable to imagine how he'll play if Sakurai decides to include him.

- Issac have been requested for 10 years now:
Or since the release of Brawl. If Sakurai really decides to play the fanservice card until the end of Smash Ultimate, then maybe he will decide to put an end to this long wait.

POTENTIAL HINTS:

- Sakurai's tweet:
Recently, Sakurai tweeted a screenshot of Smash Bros. featuring the dragon Rathalos against Link, Marth and Shulk. The scene and especially the angle of the camera evokes very strongly the fights and combat of Golden Sun. Note also that Sakurai has already explained that he was very meticulous about his tweets... why bother to share this screenshot of Rathalos when he announced it himself in the recent live?
Another clue noticed by the fans is the choice of characters: Link, Marth and Shulk, a layout that strongly evokes the Golden Sun 1 team:
Link is a silent protagonist like Isaac. Marth is named "Mars" in Japan, Garet, the second member of the group is a fire (Mars) adept. Finally Shulk has the ability to see the future, just like Ivan: the third member of the group.
In addition, this image links directly to the "Assist Tropheis" section of the official Smash Bros. website. When we factor the fact that Isaac once shared this status with Rathalos, it looks even less hazardous.
Finally, another element that seems to prove that the angle of the camera is not insignificant is that it is not reproducible manually in the photo mode (at least in Smash 4), which would show a real desire to reference Golden Sun and not just a reference to RPGs.
Critics of these theories, however, remain convinced that this is a simple reference to the box art of Monster Hunter World and the Monster Hunter series, and that the choice of Marth and Link are references to recent DLC.
Theorists persist in saying that the choice of Shulk as the third character is strange, that the angle of view is too precise, and that the boxart does not look at all like that screenshot (Sakurai has already shown impossible shots showing the characters back as on the boxart of MH World, and why would he choose the coliseum instead of wild terrain similar to the one on the box art of MH?)

- The end of King.K.Rool's trailer:
Sakurai has already sown hints for newcomers in some trailers in the past. Some look for the smallest of clues in the clouds and that have been the case for Pac-Man in Greninja's trailer and some have noticed something quite "big" this time: the huge golden sun which we see at the end of the trailer. It could just as well be a coincidence, and even if Issac is announced, we'll never know, since Sakurai never talks about the clues he leaves.

CONCLUSION:
I wouldn't go so far as to say that Isaac's inclusion is certain, but I think it's very likely. I do not believe in the second clue (the sun lol), but I find the first one extremely suspicious. Finally, Isaac has definitly more arguments in his favor than against him.
This is amazing. 10/10.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Hello everyone !

As ridiculous as it may be, I will still take the time to answer this psychotic phobia that some people have against swords. First, Sakurai has already explained that the fact that a character weilds a sword is not prohibitive as long as its gameplay is creative and interesting (Shulk and Robin for example). It just happens that Isaac has potential for a moveset almost unlimited as his psynergies (elementary magic) are numerous (more than a hundred of them) as well as his Djinns (72) and his summons (29). Isaac also knows his way with axes and maces.
I will be honest with you. I love a lot of sword wielders. Marth, Ike, Link, Shulk, Isaac, Robin, Cloud, and ones not in Smash like Monster Hunter, Dante, Yoshimitsu, Mitsurgi, etc.

But I honestly wish game developers would make more protagonists with lances and axes and other weapons instead of swords.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
I'm going to be hyped no matter what because we're going to get some good non-Smash news in the Direct as well that I can inevitably shift my excitement to when Isaac doesn't get revealed (Because I have a long history of looking forward to things that don't happen last minute).

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I'm jamming to Gang Plank Galleon in hopes K Rool's good luck rubs off on Isaac. Who's with me on praying for K Rool's luck?

Sordim522

Smash Cadet
Honestly worst case scenario, Isaac is an AT and we change the thread to “Get Felix/Matthew or die trying”

BillyBat

Smash Rookie
Dang it! I have work at this time. I'll probably get home to see a bunch of youtube videos with thumbnails spoiling everything. Wish I could watch it live.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Guys... I had a dream today.
I couldn't watch the trailer (I can't watch tomorrow one so at least in this my dream is right) and Matthew was revealed as a AT. my friends which don't know Isaac from more than I describe to them will think that he is Isaac and send message about it to me, I was a bit sad since I didn't watch and believed, but soon after Isaac appeared in the trailer to protect his son, since Matthew was a defeatable AT, "Isaac lend a helping hand" was the Splash art... I think its true my dream (or not, my dream of Robin being playable he became Grima and eat Mario)

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
Remember if Isaac is not revealed he can still show up later (I highly doubt they would deconfirm him in the middle of someone's reveal trailer). If Isaac is the fighter revealed we can look forward to a new Golden Sun remix sample hitting the Smash website within a week or two (depends on if more than one character is revealed).

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I wonder... IF there is a Smash character reveal in this Direct, will it get spoiled from the Smash website or elsewhere today like Simon was? :scared:

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Lower your expectations,

That is the warning I am getting
Lower your expectations in regards to...what? The online service? Any Smash news? Any new announcements?

I also want everyone to go onto other character threads and wish them luck. Such as the Banjo lazooie thread, or the Geno thread.

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
Welcome!

I like Isaac friend name, VLAD, it sounds cool
Yeah, Isaac french name is also my favorite. VLAD sounds badass.
I also prefer Felix's french name : Pavel (which is funny, because it's basicaly a generic spanish name ahah)
Jenna in the other hand is kinda plain in french : it's Lina.
But the coolest french name for me, it's the Wise one's : "L'Inexorable" (I dunno if "The Inexorable" has the same charm for a native english speaker)

This is amazing. 10/10.
Why, thank you good sir !

I will be honest with you. I love a lot of sword wielders. Marth, Ike, Link, Shulk, Isaac, Robin, Cloud, and ones not in Smash like Monster Hunter, Dante, Yoshimitsu, Mitsurgi, etc.

But I honestly wish game developers would make more protagonists with lances and axes and other weapons instead of swords.
Don't worry, I have nothing against people wanting character with new weapons. I was targeting people who think a character with a sword will be inevitably generic and boring. I kinda want new weapons too, as long as the characters who wield it has a fun and creative moveset

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It is strange, for the e3 presentation I was not expecting Ridley. For the Smash direct I was expecting King K. Rool (it was a gut feeling). For this direct I don't know how I feel.
Whatever you do don't expect Isaac. :p

Edit: Never mind me I thought you said you weren't expecting either of them.

Last edited:

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
But who are you getting these warnings from? Insiders? Random users that are just trying to temper the inevitably unrealistic expectations?
An "insider" who I don't trust at all,
Lower your expectations in regards to...what? The online service? Any Smash news? Any new announcements?

I also want everyone to go onto other character threads and wish them luck. Such as the Banjo lazooie thread, or the Geno thread.
however, I would heed the warning, just in case.

I think Smash news. It's more of a Nintendo direct apparently.

Like I said, let's all not drown in hype

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
I actually had a theory after the Smash direct that all presentations that revealed a newcomer would take place on Wednesday so they could add music at the same time (think back to the Castlevania music leak). Of course I was not sure if that theory would last and it seems like it is pretty much dead now.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Yeah, Isaac french name is also my favorite. VLAD sounds badass.
I also prefer Felix's french name : Pavel (which is funny, because it's basicaly a generic spanish name ahah)
Jenna in the other hand is kinda plain in french : it's Lina.
But the coolest french name for me, it's the Wise one's : "L'Inexorable" (I dunno if "The Inexorable" has the same charm for a native english speaker)

Why, thank you good sir !

Don't worry, I have nothing against people wanting character with new weapons. I was targeting people who think a character with a sword will be inevitably generic and boring. I kinda want new weapons too, as long as the characters who wield it has a fun and creative moveset

It's exactly why Shulk is so unique to me. It's the things he can do WITH the sword, not just being a sword user himself.

Isaac also has this going for him, except the sword isn't the one with abilities. But it's Isaac himself, and the manipulation of the world around him.

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
Be carefull about leaks, I, myself, was 24 hours off track saying it would be today instead.
It had to be this week or the next one because of the online service.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I find it hard to imagine that there wouldn't be some kind of Smash news. I can't remember ever getting a major Nintendo direct during Smash season and not getting a character reveal.

Maybe the lower your expectations means don't expect Animal Crossing Switch. :p

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Hey, guests, y'all should hang out and discuss 50 cent with us! Seeing as we'll be driving ourselves mad until tomorrow's Direct, what better time to listen to the best rapper of all time?

Eagle

Smash Lord
Even though it was rumored, I'm glad it's a last minute reveal of the Direct. There's less excruciating waiting!

It will be very interesting to see if we get another top ballot contender or a more modern pick. Here's hopin' the sun will rise again!

ZelDan

Smash Master
Well s***, I wake up and find out there's a direct tomorrow. Can't wait to have an entire day of excitement and nervousness!

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
Keeping expectations low is probably for the best. After Smash 4 my expectations for Smash switch were pretty low. Imagine my surprise at the e3 presentation.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Hey, guests, y'all should hang out and discuss 50 cent with us! Seeing as we'll be driving ourselves mad until tomorrow's Direct, what better time to listen to the best rapper of all time?
nah, Ice-T is da best.

Is it that LeakyPandy still? I’m wary of Isaac’s chances anyways but I wouldn’t trust them.
Idk at this point. I think we should trust NO leaker, but that's just me.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
Is it that LeakyPandy still? I’m wary of Isaac’s chances anyways but I wouldn’t trust them.
Lol no, not them. Someone just with some credibility. I just am taking the warning of lowering our expectations.

SEE! THANK YOU!

Is this a hint that 50 Cent is going to be in rate their chances?

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
They just announce these directs out of nowhere now, geez.

Watch them reveal nothing about the online and just have a 35 minute slideshow of assist trophies
lmao

Sakurai: "We wanted to take some time to appreciate the detail our designers put into non-playable characters. Please enjoy this 35 minute video of beautiful footage of Nintendog, Andross, and Ghosts."

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Updated.

1. _Sheik
  2. 1/128
  3. 9Blades
  4. ☆Jisatsu☆
  5. *Verrix*