• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Just thinking given that Nintendo did a special direct for Mario 35th anniversary and now they've dropped a trailer announcing OG FE for Western audiences with a bunch of extra goodies acknowledging it's 30 years. Mayhaps Nintendo filed this new trademark in time to announce for Golden Sun 20th anniversary next year with a trailer drop and a bunch of goodies.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Just thinking given that Nintendo did a special direct for Mario 35th anniversary and now they've dropped a trailer announcing OG FE for Western audiences with a bunch of extra goodies acknowledging it's 30 years. Mayhaps Nintendo filed this new trademark in time to announce for Golden Sun 20th anniversary next year with a trailer drop and a bunch of goodies.
That would be the dream. The 10th anniversary for Dark Dawn is next month, and the 20th anniversary for the series is this August!

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Absolute dream. I know plenty important anniversaries happen next year (Zelda, Metroid, Pokémon) but I hope Golden Sun gets something

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Just summing up my thoughts in this thread. Still bugs me to this day. lol

It’s crazy how many names Isaac has around the world. And they all sound cool! That’ll be fun to tinker with in the language settings for him. Haha.
Well, I'd he quite happy for Isaac to be this pass's JRPG character.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Absolute dream. I know plenty important anniversaries happen next year (Zelda, Metroid, Pokémon) but I hope Golden Sun gets something
Nintendo's not going to do anything themselves, but I could see Camelot cobbling something together

TheRockingGoomba

Smash Cadet
While i haven't played much of Golden Sun myself, idk. Something about Isaac really makes me wish he was playable. He's one of my mains in SSF2, so maybe that contributes to me wanting him in. So count me as a supporter.

Since we got Spring Man as an Assist and Min Min as a playable character

How violent do you think the reaction would be if we got Matthew as our Golden Sun rep instead?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

How violent do you think the reaction would be if we got Matthew as our Golden Sun rep instead?
Pretty bad. I couldn't even use my "Min Min's moveset is too Min Min-ish for any alts/echoes, Felix/Matthew's movesets would work 100% with Isaac so they might as well make him playable while they're at it" argument anymore.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
While i haven't played much of Golden Sun myself, idk. Something about Isaac really makes me wish he was playable. He's one of my mains in SSF2, so maybe that contributes to me wanting him in. So count me as a supporter.

I'd suggest Felix instead. TLA is a stronger game overall than DD. He's also way more distinct in appearance from Isaac than Matthew.

Sakurai: 'Don't worry next time we add Isaac as Felix's Echo [laughs]'

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Happy 10th anniversary Dark Dawn! Also yeah Golden Sunday begins now

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
IDK how many times I'll need to say this but they're not adding anyone over Isaac. If a Golden Sun character is on the table, it's him first and foremost since he's the one that's already got workable stuff and was the one on the ballot. Neither Felix nor Matthew have workable character models that fit Smash, while Isaac does.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I’m also in the camp of if Golden Sun gets a character then it will 99% be Isaac. I say 99% to play devil’s advocate for a moment as a fairly recent announcement has me wondering about various possibilities.

So we just got the Fire Emblem 30th anniversary announcement where they are porting the original game to Switch with a bunch of added collectibles and concept art. Now as I’m sure we all know, Golden Sun’s 20th anniversary is this coming year but unlike Fire Emblem, it’s been a long time since Golden Sun got a new game to the series. So maybe...similarly to Mario’s 35th and Fire Emblem’s 30th, they port the first 3 games to the Switch in a collection along with the announcement of Golden Sun 4.

As we know, Camelot changes protagonist every game so if my hypothetical ends up happening...Nintendo might want the new protagonist as the Smash character.

Do I really think this is the case? No
Personally I believe the trademark is for a remade version of the first 2 games combined. However, considering how Nintendo has handled recent anniversaries plus how they ported Golden Sun to the Wii U eshop... I wouldn’t be surprised if the scenario I painted actually happened.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It should be noted that when a Challenger Pack didn't come with multiple character options, it's because no one would work for them.

• Kasumi, who was speculated on because dataminers found a "Jane" for Joker's "Jack" and a hint that "Jane" would have a ponytail (and because she debuted in Royal and Smash fans thing everything has to be Shilly McShillington), uses the wrong kinds of weapons.
  • Who would even work as a character-changing alt for Banjo & Kazooie?
  • Rock was inspired by his adoptive father Terry, but he incorporates the Crack Shoot and Power Dunk into moves that function completely differently. Terry's moves would also all have to be reanimated for him to incorporate quirks SNK puts into Rock's animations.
  • Min Min's moveset is based entirely around her default ARMS and special abilities.
The main protagonists of Golden Sun are unlike this. They can equip the same kinds of weapons, and learn similar Psynergy.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I’m also in the camp of if Golden Sun gets a character then it will 99% be Isaac. I say 99% to play devil’s advocate for a moment as a fairly recent announcement has me wondering about various possibilities.

So we just got the Fire Emblem 30th anniversary announcement where they are porting the original game to Switch with a bunch of added collectibles and concept art. Now as I’m sure we all know, Golden Sun’s 20th anniversary is this coming year but unlike Fire Emblem, it’s been a long time since Golden Sun got a new game to the series. So maybe...similarly to Mario’s 35th and Fire Emblem’s 30th, they port the first 3 games to the Switch in a collection along with the announcement of Golden Sun 4.

As we know, Camelot changes protagonist every game so if my hypothetical ends up happening...Nintendo might want the new protagonist as the Smash character.

Do I really think this is the case? No
Personally I believe the trademark is for a remade version of the first 2 games combined. However, considering how Nintendo has handled recent anniversaries plus how they ported Golden Sun to the Wii U eshop... I wouldn’t be surprised if the scenario I painted actually happened.
Even in the case where Golden Sun 4 is what's happening as opposed to a remake, they'll still pick Isaac for the reasons I lined out. It's even stronger marketing to have the character that's actually, uh, demanded, rather than a character that's obviously a shill.

And aside from that, I don't think Nintendo cares at all about specifics of picking from a series. We already know that if Sakurai couldn't get Hero, he'd have gone for Slime, so all Nintendo really says is just which series/game should get a fighter.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Well Brothas, Should be done in the next 4 hours or so cause I am polishing the animation right now (the base work is finished) So here is a sneak screenshot at what is to come tonight when it uploaded. Happy Golden Sunday Adepts!

----

Okay..... That Last Third is taking a lot longer than I hoped. I can still finish it in 3 hours, just gonna take a little longer.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I'd like to bring attention to deathvine_68000's channel on youtube. For Golden Sunday he did a bunch of GS themed songs/remixes, and they and all of his other previous works can be found here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaktBdi8Am7eT_je8DiXZfw

Here's a sample of one of his things.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Finally found the last few overworld Djiins I was missing and got through the secret dungeon and its boss. I had the Mars Lighthouse cleared out ahead of time so it was just a quick trip to the top. Almost forgot about the Wise One until he showed up to sick the final boss on me. Thought I was gonna be fighting Alex the whole time lol. I've finally beaten both the GBA Golden Sun games. I really liked both games and how they blended a unique class system with Zelda style dungeons and puzzle solving.

I also found it funny how Alex was climbing Mt. Aleph in the ending when he could have just teleported to the top lol.

I've heard that Dark Dawn was a huge step back from the first 2 games so I'll probably just avoid that one.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Finally found the last few overworld Djiins I was missing and got through the secret dungeon and its boss. I had the Mars Lighthouse cleared out ahead of time so it was just a quick trip to the top. Almost forgot about the Wise One until he showed up to sick the final boss on me. Thought I was gonna be fighting Alex the whole time lol. I've finally beaten both the GBA Golden Sun games. I really liked both games and how they blended a unique class system with Zelda style dungeons and puzzle solving.

I also found it funny how Alex was climbing Mt. Aleph in the ending when he could have just teleported to the top lol.

I've heard that Dark Dawn was a huge step back from the first 2 games so I'll probably just avoid that one.
It is a step back from the GBA games but isn't a bad game by any means.

That said it is still kind of hard to recommend, both for it not being as good as the other 2 and since the game leaves off on a cliffhanger like GS1, and never got a sequel...

Last edited:

airConditioner

Smash Ace

If you do decide to pick up Dark Dawn, just watch out for Points of No Return

Besides that, it is a fun game despite it not being as strong as the first two and was definitely worth the time playing

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
If you're interested in playing Dark Dawn, I'd say wait a few months to see what exactly Camelot's been working on. If we're right and Golden Sun HD is coming soon, we have a trademark hinting at a Dark Dawn HD next. I'll be the first to tell you the game is flawed, but in the event we get a remake or, should we be so lucky, a Golden Sun 4? Well, it suddenly becomes a whole lot easier to recommend.

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae

The thing is Dark Dawn is clearly not as good as the GBA games that's sure. But ! It's not that bad of what people say on Internet etc. I always say to my friends who hesitate to play x game beacause of whatever critcs the game received to just play it yourself and have you own opinion. If i had follow what Internet says everytime, then i would have never played NieR Replicant on the PS3 back then, cause many videogames websites tested it sooo bad, and the game is freaking good (okay lacks of graphics maybe but i just don't care of it, if the games is fun and plays good it's fine for me)

If you decide to play Dark Dawn just remeber that:

• Be aware of points of no return
  • The game is very easy
  • The game ends on a cliffhanger we still wait from 10 years

But i really liked DD. It has good musics, better animations for Summons, a quite large world to explore, and good puzzles/dungeons in my opinion

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Ehh, don’t. The game is still well above average it’s just different.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
The spooks are coming everyone! lol

Honestly, I’d play it regardless if I were you so you have your own opinion on it. It can’t compare to the first two, but it’s still a good GS game despite its flaws. The “Points of No Return” are honestly my only gripe with the game, but other than that, I had a lot of fun with it!
Dark Dawn gets way over hated than what it’s worth mostly because people compare it to the original 2 games and I truly feel like the series would have had a better future if it wasn’t for that and it’s terrible marketing from Nintendo (and I guess some flaws too). Again, it’s still a worthy entry to Golden Sun. Hopefully they can fix some things in the remake down the line.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

As others have said, Dark Dawn is still a good game. The thing with the first two is that they seriously knocked it out of the park. The magic system, the incredibly well written plot (with beautiful twists), the complex characters... I could go on, but quite frankly, it's the overwhelming allure of the first games that makes the third slightly more difficult. If the series belonged to another company or came out in the 2010s, Nintendo likely would have paid more attention to it. Instead, at it's conception, Nintendo wasn't exactly pushing a lot of RPGs, at least not in the USA. I think this is partially why I am not that connected to the genre, though was forcefully drawn into Golden Sun.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
The only thing I don't agree with in regards to things said about Dark Dawn is it killing the series cause of poor sales. I feel like even if it sold on par with the other games, this hiatus would still happen. It's like how after The Lost Age they mentioned like a year later that the status of a third game is up in the air. We know that game sold well and we know it had nothing to do with Nintendo putting down the hammer given that they tell the Takahashi Brothers to make another GS game.

We learn in an interview the reason they didn't jump immediately and why they still hadn't did a third one when Nintendo asked is that they know the series has a lot of fans and they want to give it the time it deserves.

Then we of course know of their last remarks of the series back in 2012 about Golden Sun being a taxing game to make but they would bring it back if enough fans ask but still wanting that time to work on the story. I think this is just how they work, their mindset as developers, while I doubt there being another 10 year hiatus when GS returns, I think they'll always take that breather.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
The only thing I don't agree with in regards to things said about Dark Dawn is it killing the series cause of poor sales. I feel like even if it sold on par with the other games, this hiatus would still happen. It's like how after The Lost Age they mentioned like a year later that the status of a third game is up in the air. We know that game sold well and we know it had nothing to do with Nintendo putting down the hammer given that they tell the Takahashi Brothers to make another GS game.

We learn in an interview the reason they didn't jump immediately and why they still hadn't did a third one when Nintendo asked is that they know the series has a lot of fans and they want to give it the time it deserves.

Then we of course know of their last remarks of the series back in 2012 about Golden Sun being a taxing game to make but they would bring it back if enough fans ask but still wanting that time to work on the story. I think this is just how they work, their mindset as developers, while I doubt there being another 10 year hiatus when GS returns, I think they'll always take that breather.
Basically this. The only games Camelot has put out that have badly underperformed were really just their Golf games after Golf 64. Everything else they make sells either average or above average.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Basically this. The only games Camelot has put out that have badly underperformed were really just their Golf games after Golf 64. Everything else they make sells either average or above average.
No wonder there seems to not be a Mario Golf game for the Switch in the works. Well that and Aces used Ultra Smash as a base and there's no Wii U Mario Golf to expand on.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Updated the support list.

1. _Sheik
  2. 1/128
  3. 3DSNinja
  4. 9Blades
  5. ☆Jisatsu☆