• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Well, wouldn't the last character count as such? Because the way FP2 was presented, Fighter 6 seemed as "extra". And I kinda think it's a character from a series already presented in Smash.
The sixth character in volume 2 is still getting the same structure of content as the rest of the pass and is priced with it. It isnt a bonus in the same way Pirahna Plant was

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't think Sakurai necessarily makes a character an assist because he feels that's good enough representation for the character per se. A fully playable character gives you a stage, more music and a full moveset to better represent the world the character comes from. There's just only so many fully playable characters that Sakurai can add to a game so an assist is just another way to represent a franchise that did not make it to playable status.

Though an assist can only represent so much of a character's potential. Isaac's assist especially doesn't represent what he's known for. If I didn't play Golden Sun. I wouldn't even begin to think that he could manipulate earth by just looking at him.
True, but I do think the Assist Trophies and Mii costumes are consulation prizes for the fanbases of those characters. It's impossible for Sakurai to grant everyones' wish so if he can't make a popular request playable at the moment, he will give them a Assist Trophy or a Mii costume to throw a bone for that character's fanbase.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
True, but I do think the Assist Trophies and Mii costumes are consulation prizes for the fanbases of those characters. It's impossible for Sakurai to grant everyones' wish so if he can't make a popular request playable at the moment, he will give them a Assist Trophy or a Mii costume to throw a bone for that character's fanbase.
With Ultimate especially since this installment had the fewer number of newcomers in base with the focus on all vets returning. The DLC is making up some groundwork in that regard.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
They want to make fans happy, it's not a matter of "need" when an upgrade happens. Bomberman's upgrade to mii costume is the next best answer to his backlash. I say next best one because obviously the pass 2 was already filled but they wanted to make it better in whichever way they still could. It's as simple as that.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I don't know if you're asking about my first or second sentence, so I will explain both.

Luigi has Electric powers rather than Fire in that game, and 1337/leet is old internet lingo where you replace letters with numbers.
Late. I mostly meant the 1337 part. I knew what it meant. It’s a classic. Lol. What I’m trying to figure out is how you knew that I made that many posts.
I forgot that Luigi could do that. So it’s official, Luigi is a Jupiter Adept. So Mario = Fire, Luigi = Wind, Waluigi = Water, would that make Wario a Venus (Earth) Adept? Hmmm?

They want to make fans happy, it's not a matter of "need" when an upgrade happens. Bomberman's upgrade to mii costume is the next best answer to his backlash. I say next best one because obviously the pass 2 was already filled but they wanted to make it better in whichever way they still could. It's as simple as that.
Plus, I believe, PERSONALLY, that Bomberman could have jumped to playable there if he was 1st Party. Because he belongs to Konami, this is all that Sakurai could have done for Bomberman, for now.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Late. I mostly meant the 1337 part. I knew what it meant. It’s a classic. Lol. What I’m trying to figure out is how you knew that I made that many posts.
I forgot that Luigi could do that. So it’s official, Luigi is a Jupiter Adept. So Mario = Fire, Luigi = Wind, Waluigi = Water, would that make Wario a Venus (Earth) Adept? Hmmm?
You can see the amount of posts someone's made under their profile picture on the side, underneath where it says the date they joined.

As for Wario, I believe he's been giving dust-like powers before, I think we can call him in unofficial official 4th GS protagonist.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Plus, I believe, PERSONALLY, that Bomberman could have jumped to playable there if he was 1st Party. Because he belongs to Konami, this is all that Sakurai could have done for Bomberman, for now.
I'm a bit iffy on that. Splatoon and Castlevania were the only new franchises with playable representation, and they're also the only new franchises to get a stage. I think new franchises were low-priority because that would require a new stage to come with them, something the devs couldn't do because of all the focus on the returning content. Besides, if Bomberman was first-party he'd be made playable long before Ultimate anyways.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
You make a good point with your "positive" section, there is less work involved in "upgrading" Assists because they already have a model to work with. As for the "negative" side, I personally don't think that is the case, as seen by Bomberman's Mii Costume, which definitively proves that the team is willing to go back to base game Assists for DLC content. Bomberman probably got a Mii Costume because Sakurai wasn't satisfied with how he was represented and how many people wanted him as a playable character. That part, in particular, matters for Isaac because he already has a Mii Costume, so the only further representation is to become a playable character. I don't doubt that Isaac is on Sakurai's mind (if only because he likes pleasing fans) and if Nintendo decided Isaac was a good choice, I think he'd go for it, not even concerned that he's already an Assist because he wants to give the character more representation, not the other way around.
Basically this. If Nintendo pitches Isaac to Sakurai, he's not going to say no. This is another chance to knock out a long-standing character request that also happens to have a very unique playstyle.

LinkStrife

Smash Cadet
Alright! Now I can finally post in here. I'm a huge GS fan, and the inclusion of Isaac on Smash is something I'm looking forward. Additionally, the information Nazyrus has been providing since the last few months is giving me hope for the revival of the franchise.

One dude I have is, if Isaac is added, would he have his assist trophy design, or would he have his adult design (Dark Dawn)? Or maybe would have Felix as a skin? The idea of having him as both assist trophy and main character seems weird, but maybe his design is different?

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Alright! Now I can finally post in here. I'm a huge GS fan, and the inclusion of Isaac on Smash is something I'm looking forward. Additionally, the information Nazyrus has been providing since the last few months is giving me hope for the revival of the franchise.

One dude I have is, if Isaac is added, would he have his assist trophy design, or would he have his adult design (Dark Dawn)? Or maybe would have Felix as a skin? The idea of having him as both assist trophy and main character seems weird, but maybe his design is different?
If Golden Sun is giving a reboot, I wonder if the Takahashi bros would give the characters a slight redesign, and have Sakurai use that one. Other than that, it could be Papa Isaac if Sakurai wants to be able to keep the AT on the field at the same time as the playable fighter, or go for his Iconic look no matter what. How does the Bomberman mii costume work? Does it remove Bomberman from the AT rotation? That would probably be the best indication.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I really do want Isaac in Smash and a new Golden Sun game would be a dream come true, but I just can't bring myself to believe either are likely.

I've seen the evidence but I still think it might all be a wild goose chase.

Wish I had your confidence guys.

LinkStrife

Smash Cadet
If Golden Sun is giving a reboot, I wonder if the Takahashi bros would give the characters a slight redesign, and have Sakurai use that one. Other than that, it could be Papa Isaac if Sakurai wants to be able to keep the AT on the field at the same time as the playable fighter, or go for his Iconic look no matter what. How does the Bomberman mii costume work? Does it remove Bomberman from the AT rotation? That would probably be the best indication.
Yes, I was thinking about Bomberman just now. His case would help us to give some light to an eventual Isaac inclusion.

I really do want Isaac in Smash and a new Golden Sun game would be a dream come true, but I just can't bring myself to believe either are likely.

I've seen the evidence but I still think it might all be a wild goose chase.

Wish I had your confidence guys.
A GS remaster seems quite obvious considering all the evidence, but the inclusion of Isaac as a playable character is more desire than anything else. I mean, I expected Travis to be one. And with the release of a new Monster Hunter, I'm fund strange no playable character was included (as DLC, at least). In the end, it all depends of Nintendo requests.

Last edited:

RobinotX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobinotX
Hello! Been a while I have been around here. That aside, I am looking forward having a Golden Sun rep in Smash Brothers. With a Pokemon and Travis seemingly out of the question. With the rise of JRPG's in the gaming industry. Golden Sun getting a remake makes sense and having a Golden Sun character in Smash Brothers would help so much!

I am looking forward to it. Just started replaying Golden Sun again as two of my friends are starting as well for the first time (after hearing me about the series all the time).

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
The only thing that makes me think that Isaac's playable design won't be altered for the sake of his assist is that some assist characters, like Waluigi for example, there is no other design to change or alter things to and they will look similar to their assist.

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
The only thing that makes me think that Isaac's playable design won't be altered for the sake of his assist is that some assist characters, like Waluigi for example, there is no other design to change or alter things to and they will look similar to their assist.
If Isaac got in, I doubt Sakurai would alter the design to stand out from the assist, but I do expect the design to be quite different because of the potential game.

Right now, most of us assume this new game is the first two games remade and combined as one like originally planned back then. I’m 100% sure the main cast and villains will all have updated designs. So of course the design to be used would be from the assumed remake as we all believe it’s the only reason Isaac would be chosen as a potential challenger pack.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
I think, if Isaac gets in, they'd have to clean up his design from his assist - Because as much as we love his assist, the model is rougher than what Sakurai would probably want out of a playable character. But I think we'll still get that original design - Just maybe more high-quality, with extra details that we can appreciate added to make it feel better.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I think, if Isaac gets in, they'd have to clean up his design from his assist - Because as much as we love his assist, the model is rougher than what Sakurai would probably want out of a playable character. But I think we'll still get that original design - Just maybe more high-quality, with extra details that we can appreciate added to make it feel better.
Yeah just better textures and such. I expect a Dark samus type of jump in quality

Last edited:

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman

If Sakurai gets to play the remake early, he's gonna use that design. If not he's going to use the OG design.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Just so you know, Sonic is coming for him... (Lol)

Welcome Adept LinkStrife LinkStrife ! Glad you could join us in the House of the Golden Sun! :D

As we’ve seen in Smash many times before, there is no consistency. When Isaac is a Fighter, he will be more detailed than his AT counterpart. Just like how Mii Isaac is better detailed than AT Isaac. The only question remains is, will AT Isaac be turned off when Isaac is being used, or will Sakurai not care about that?

Right now, most of us assume this new game is the first two games remade and combined as one like originally planned back then.
I’m more inclined to believe it will be a Remake of the first two. Especially after Dark Dawn got a BRAND NEW Trademark issued this year.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Even without a remake, it's possible Isaac could recieve a Smash-exclusive redesign after decades of using the same design for the original duology's timeframe. Case in point: :4feroy:
Considering Roy and Wolf got redesigns as veterans making a return, I don't think Isaac is the same situation, specially after JUST getting his AT back in Ultimate with his original design (except hair lol). I personally think it's more likely they go with the design they just brough back as an AT, but better quality of course… and better hair, ffs DK wants to eat dem bananas lmao. That's just me anyway.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Well, wouldn't the last character count as such? Because the way FP2 was presented, Fighter 6 seemed as "extra". And I kinda think it's a character from a series already presented in Smash.
Uh, no? Why would they plan an extra? They promised all the fighters would come with a stage and music. Waluigi is gonna come with mario sport related stuff. That trademark could definitely tie into it.

LinkStrife

Smash Cadet
Just so you know, Sonic is coming for him... (Lol)

Welcome Adept LinkStrife LinkStrife ! Glad you could join us in the House of the Golden Sun! :D

As we’ve seen in Smash many times before, there is no consistency. When Isaac is a Fighter, he will be more detailed than his AT counterpart. Just like how Mii Isaac is better detailed than AT Isaac. The only question remains is, will AT Isaac be turned off when Isaac is being used, or will Sakurai not care about that?

I’m more inclined to believe it will be a Remake of the first two. Especially after Dark Dawn got a BRAND NEW Trademark issued this year.
Thank you, SonicLink125 SonicLink125 ! Glad to be here! I used to frequent a Golden Sun website around the time Dark Dawn came out, and sadly it closed a few years ago. It was really cool to see more fans whom love the franchise, as well as to share some rumors or potential leaks about a new entry.

Speaking about Mii costumes, does it really has more detail than the Isaac AT? I never payed so much attention to detail. I expected to be pretty much the same quality wise.

Also, Nazyrus Nazyrus , sorry to bother you, but have you heard anything new about the GS remaster/remake?

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Hey guys since I am almost done scripting the video for the Isaac for smash animation I will have ready for the next Golden Sunday, I wanna ask you guys if theirs any critical point in Isaac for smash or Golden sun speculation that I should probably include. Any suggestions or rumors Isaac had during the smash 4 days?

LinkStrife

Smash Cadet
If I did I would have shared it immediately afterwards.
Ok, just wanted to ask you. I don't know how frequent you are in here, and as how Nintendo has been working first party announcements, a GS one feels like it would just drop at any moment on Twitter. Specially if you consider that Nintendo has been sharing news almost every single week since August.

Billybae10K Billybae10K , wanted to congratulate you for your Isaac video, it was really well made and informative. You won a new subscriber!

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Speaking about Mii costumes, does it really has more detail than the Isaac AT? I never payed so much attention to detail. I expected to be pretty much the same quality wise.
For the past two (almost 3?) years taking pics of AT Isaac and Mii Isaac, there definitely is a difference in quality between them. Here’s these I’ve taken awhile back:
FDBC74B6-EC0A-4610-B0E3-0914F4029B99.jpeg

0CC32678-B0D3-445E-9C94-9E141D3F89D0.jpeg

While these don’t do it justice, as it would be better to see while playing, you can see some of the differences. Especially the “banana” hair. lol

I personally saw a difference in Mii Bomberman too compared to AT Bomberman as it looks much higher quality.

Last edited:

LinkStrife

Smash Cadet
For the past two (almost 3?) years taking pics of AT Isaac and Mii Isaac, there definitely is a difference in quality between them. Here’s these I’ve taken awhile back:
View attachment 289086
View attachment 289088
While these don’t do it justice, as it would be better to see while playing, you can see some of the differences. Especially the “banana” hair. lol

I personally saw a difference in Mii Bomberman too compared to AT Bomberman as it looks much higher quality.
I never payed much attention, I completely went over the "banana hair". But yes, sawing the Bomberman Mii costume it really shows the quality improvement.

However, I want to say, I personally feel Felix should be a Isaac skin, just like Bowser Jr and the rest of the gang, or Hero from DQ. Ideally, Isaac/Felix/Matthew could all be part of the FP. Don't you all agree?

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I never payed much attention, I completely went over the "banana hair". But yes, sawing the Bomberman Mii costume it really shows the quality improvement.

However, I want to say, I personally feel Felix should be a Isaac skin, just like Bowser Jr and the rest of the gang, or Hero from DQ. Ideally, Isaac/Felix/Matthew could all be part of the FP. Don't you all agree?
I would love that! Heck, why not Isaac/Felix/Matthew/Adult Isaac all in one? Obviously Adult Isaac would be difficult because height difference and whatnot, but how about just the look?

LinkStrife

Smash Cadet
I would love that! Heck, why not Isaac/Felix/Matthew/Adult Isaac all in one? Obviously Adult Isaac would be difficult because height difference and whatnot, but how about just the look?
I completely forgot about Adult Isaac! It would be so sick to have him! I would certainly main him. And that way, you have 4 different characters, just like Hero.

Regarding height, I believe Felix is a bit taller than Isaac and Matthew, so maybe is not a big problem to implement him?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
As cool as Adult Isaac is, it would be like cramming Marth and Ike into the same slot and expecting it to work out. DD!Isaac is taller, his build is more muscular, and based off his artwork, his sword is a good deal larger than the ones he used to wield. A semiclone, I could see, but I have a hard time picturing them just being alts.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think Isaac's playable Smash design will either be new or mix of all of his past designs like they did with Ridley and K. Rool's. Ridley's design being a mix of Super Metroid and Other M and K. Rool's design being a mix of Rare and Paon. Isaac's could be a mix of Golden Sun 1, 2, and maybe a new game.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Hey guys since I am almost done scripting the video for the Isaac for smash animation I will have ready for the next Golden Sunday, I wanna ask you guys if theirs any critical point in Isaac for smash or Golden sun speculation that I should probably include. Any suggestions or rumors Isaac had during the smash 4 days?
If I'm not mistaken Smash 4 was pretty radio silence for Isaac. He was just the leak destroyer. If he showed up on any rumor text leaks it was just automatically fake lol. The only thing I could say he had going for him was his assist being missing, giving the illusion that maybe his assist wasn't shown because he was upgraded to playable. Only for it to not be there at all.

Isaac's best speculation period is Smash Ultimate. There were so many shenanigans websites updating, Ratholos tweet, the 'growth item', the trademark, Grinch leak, that one other leak that combined Isaac's OG and Dark Dawn look, and also his assist taking till the last direct to show up.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
As cool as Adult Isaac is, it would be like cramming Marth and Ike into the same slot and expecting it to work out. DD!Isaac is taller, his build is more muscular, and based off his artwork, his sword is a good deal larger than the ones he used to wield. A semiclone, I could see, but I have a hard time picturing them just being alts.
But they did put PoR and RD Ike in one slot, even though RD is more muscular.

Top Bottom