• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Sakurai’s Tweet:
Before I start I want to say that I am a huge Monster Hunter fan and have hundreds of hours played on various games in the series, mainly World. To my knowledge, there is no box art featuring Rathalos or any other flagship monster where three hunters are fighting it in the arena! To assume that Sakurai, the man who pays way too much attention to detail, made this pic as an homage to any box art from that series makes no sense because he would have done it on a stage like Gaur Plains to at least make it look like a forest. Especially considering the angle he decided to use for the pic. As far as I’m concerned, unless there is some special box art that only released in Japan...that tweet is a direct reference to Golden Sun!
Also, from my limited experience, i don't think monster hunter features any stadiums now, does it?

Last edited:

Icana

Smash Apprentice
...You tellin' me Isaac is Toph?
Because that's amazing.
How did you know I loved Avatar???
I didn't know you liked Avatar. In fact, one of the reason I liked Avatar was because it reminded me so much of Golden Sun. Golden Sun came out in 2001 and I think the Avatar: The Last Airbender cartoon aired a couple years later.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Don't forget the ability to summon his own personal Master Hand.
That'd actually make for a good trailer tease. Featuring a giant floating hand fighting with someone, get people thinking it's Master Hand, then it's revealed that, in fact, Isaac's controlling the hand. :)

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Also, from my limited experience, i don't think monster hunter features any stadiums now, does it?
As far as I remember there are arenas where you can challenge various monsters but they look NOTHING like the coliseum stage in Smash.

That stage does look like the Golden Sun colosseum though

Noipoi

Howdy!
I didn't know you liked Avatar. In fact, one of the reason I liked Avatar was because it reminded me so much of Golden Sun. Golden Sun came out in 2001 and I think the Avatar: The Last Airbender cartoon aired a couple years later.
I believe Avatar was 2006.
And that explains Why I didn't know Golden Sun before this year, I wasn't even born until October 2001.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
There seems to be an arena in MH Tri, but appears to be the only one in the series, so it'd be a very specific reference

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
That'd actually make for a good trailer tease. Featuring a giant floating hand fighting with someone, get people thinking it's Master Hand, then it's revealed that, in fact, Isaac's controlling the hand. :)
Imagine if it looks like the hands are about to fight but then they just start playing thumb wars with each other.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
...You tellin' me Isaac is Toph?
Because that's amazing.
How did you know I loved Avatar???
Haha! I'm the same way. I got into Avatar: The Last Airbender BECAUSE of Golden Sun. I always loved controlling the elements to your will.

Icana

Smash Apprentice
And that explains Why I didn't know Golden Sun before this year, I wasn't even born until October 2001.
And thus, the generational gap. I feel old now. Thanks! lol

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
Someone sell me on Isaac.
I'm starting to think he's more likely than previously thought, but I can't exactly call myself hyped.
It's not that I don't like him, I just don't know him. You can't care for someone you don't know.
So yeah, could someone tell me why Isaac is so heavily requested?

Not to be rude or sound like an old man, but your profile states you are 16?

isaac is extremely popular with GB/GBA kids since that was our RPG for that generation.

I grew up with the whole GB era, so I had a huge attachment to handhelds.

People who were avid GBA era fans, had Golden Sun as their RPG. With Nintendo Power promoting it and schoolyard talk.

It is one of the top 100 Gba games of all time. Dead series or not, Golden Sun is a classic.

That is why Isaac is heavily requested. He was our childhood JRPG hero. Just like your generation now has fire emblem fates Corrin.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Since i'm playing CS:S, i'd like to have another discussion going on here.

What GS music do you think is worthy or needing of a remix /if/ Isaac is a playable fighter?
Well if Isaac is gonna playable he GOTTA have a remix of his theme.
For other music I would say Saturos Battle theme, Venus Lighthouse/Mars Lighthouse, Jenna Battle theme.
If they want they can remix a song from Dark Dawn. Bring back that brawl remix of Felix Battle theme/Doom Dragon theme.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
Couldn’t you have gone with Chrom? Calling Corrin the hero of a generation seems... off.
Trust me, as much as I would like to say Awakening characters are the RPG Nintendo face of the generation, mistake ehem fates is waaaaaaaaay more popular due to it's extream casualness.

Look at FE heroes, more Fate characters to sell than anything else.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Trust me, as much as I would like to say Awakening characters are the RPG Nintendo face of the generation, mistake ehem fates is waaaaaaaaay more popular due to it's extream casualness.

Look at FE heroes, more Fate characters to sell than anything else.
I deliberately choose not to look at FE Heroes. But, point taken.

Maybe Isaac will be the hero of the next gen?*

*extreme wishful thinking

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Yeah, there are a lot of us Isaac fans from across the ages. The first Golden Sun game came out before I was even born (January 2002). I still loved playing the games though, but I didn't grow up with them necessarily and they weren't really my first JRPG like they were for a lot of people here (it was Mother 3, I think.)

It's honestly a pretty weird thought to think that some people have been waiting for Isaac in Smash for longer than I've been alive.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
This just hit me with everyone talking about Isaac’s reveal possibly including Master Hand. Sakurai said he was gonna talk about the bosses on a later date. What better way to reintroduce Master Hand and Crazy Hand to Smash Ultimate than through a character reveal of Isaac, the wielder of magical hands? That would perfectly segue into the topic of boss fights for the next Smash focused direct.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
If I may bring back a theory we had before the Sakurai tweet fiasco. Remember how we thought the Moon at the end of the Castlevania trailer was hinting at Skull Kid and the big Golden Sun at the end of the K. Rool trailer was also hinting at Isaac? Now, these are more than likely pulling at straws here, but as of recently, it might not be far fetched. Isaac and Skull Kid are now the most probable newcomers thanks to the chairs and photo. I don't know about you guys, but it seems like it's all more than just a coincidence.

That, or we are truly crazy and delusional. :p

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
i mean I'm probably the youngest i didn't get into golden sun unill dark dawn in middle school and i still want Isacc even tho i know his son better

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
I deliberately choose not to look at FE Heroes. But, point taken.

Maybe Isaac will be the hero of the next gen?*

*extreme wishful thinking

Remake GS 1/2 into one game?
With the success of octopath

Yeah, I can see it.

People enjoy JRPGs

With Golden Sun's story, dialogue (idc what people say, I enjoy reading in a good JRPG)

The twist in the second game, a ****ing link area battle online

Yeah, remake the first two games, Isaac can come back full swing.

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
Isaac in Smash Ultimate would be really cool even though I've never played his games, but I find him and his games to be interesting.

Muirkat

Smash Apprentice
If I may bring back a theory we had before the Sakurai tweet fiasco. Remember how we thought the Moon at the end of the Castlevania trailer was hinting at Skull Kid and the big Golden Sun at the end of the K. Rool trailer was also hinting at Isaac? Now, these are more than likely pulling at straws here, but as of recently, it might not be far fetched. Isaac and Skull Kid are now the most probable newcomers thanks to the chairs and photo. I don't know about you guys, but it seems like it's all more than just a coincidence.

My guess would be that if we get another Smash specific direct, it'll start with Isaac and the Sun, and end with Skull Kid and the Moon. Hero/Villain, Day/Night

Also there may be a Sun/Moon pokemon as an echo fighter of a current Pokemon in the middle of the direct.

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman

Either that or a generation 7 Pokémon since those games were called Sun and Moon.

It’s very hard to tell because the sun and moon are used to represent so many things which makes it tough to accept those as hints.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
If the golden sun series was to be remade, or if gs4 was announced, would you guys prefer an art style similar to octopath, or a third person 3d open world design?

winterofsilver

Smash Rookie
Same! I found out about Golden Sun a couple years ago browsing the eShop and only got around to playing it this year. I wonder how many RPG's from before we're missing out on lol

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
If the golden sun series was to be remade, or if gs4 was announced, would you guys prefer an art style similar to octopath, or a third person 3d open world design?
I love Octopath’s design but personally if Golden Sun got remade I would like to see a HD design similar to the Bravely Default series. I loved that series because it felt like an improvement of Golden Sun’s design.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Garet, Ivan and Mia should be there own separate Assist Trophies: Garet summons Meteor, Ivan summons Thor and Mia would summon Boreas
I am all for this, but I honestly think think the summons should be reserved for FSs so Isaac’s obviously being Judgement.

Having assists cast Summons and it not amounting to much would feel... lackluster to say the least. I think they should just use Psynergy.

Garet would cast Searing Beam sending out a Beam of dps for a few seconds or until he’s KOd. The Beam would have the capability of trapping foes, racking up damage, but would not be able to launch them.

Ivan would cast Tempest creating three large twisters that deal minimal damage but catch foes and can launch them.

Mia would cast Pure Ply, fully healing the person that summoned her.

Baddies are back

Smash Apprentice
I've never felt this hopeful about Isaac getting in before. I mean, I wanted him in during smash 4 speculation but I doubted anything would come of it. But this time it just feels right, kinda funny since after the second game there was an 8 year gap until he appeared again, and if he's in smash ultimate then it will be 8 years since the last time we saw him in a game, again.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
I've never felt this hopeful about Isaac getting in before. I mean, I wanted him in during smash 4 speculation but I doubted anything would come of it. But this time it just feels right, kinda funny since after the second game there was an 8 year gap until he appeared again, and if he's in smash ultimate then it will be 8 years since the last time we saw him in a game, again.

Even if he does not get into the base game, he is a contender for DLC if he is not an AT.

Regardless Nintendo sees the demand, maybe a remaster is in the works. Who knows? Many kids got to experience GS on the Wii U with the VC.
GS draws people in

SirCamp

Smash Ace
But which one is better?
I mean if they can pull off both perfectly I think the open-ish world option would be preferable, to me anyway. For two reasons. When you open up the world like that you open up design space for some cool puzzles along the way that simply wouldn't work in 2D (granted there are also 2D puzzles that wouldn't work in 3D, so perhaps this is a bit of a wash). And because it would create some cool gameplay with trying to explore and find all of the various Djinn. I'm gonna guess that this is a controversial take though.

Both options could be beautiful in their own way and I think both could be made to work. But, having said that I, I think it would be both a much bigger investment and also much more difficult to pull off a version with a more open world. So if we were to get a new Golden Sun game, while I think a game with a more open world could be preferable if done perfectly, I would expect it to stick to its roots more. Also because if we do get a reboot, Nintendo will definitely consider it a risky prospect. I highly doubt they would devote the requisite resources to a high risk investment like Golden Sun in order to make an open world game. Perhaps far into the future in a world where a reboot happens and takes off in popularity.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Heh! It hasn't even been a full week and I'm already hungry for more Smash news. It's like a drug.

Yoshi444

Smash Apprentice
Glad to see many people talking about Isaac and Golden Sun. If we don't achieve Isaac playable in Smash we shouldn't forget him, we need to still pushing him after the launch in Nintendo media but respectfully, not like some Waluigi fans. Maybe we can see him as a DLC character or in the next Smash :)

Top Bottom