• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Suggestions Vs Game and Watch

Allied

Smash Master
I faced Dire at a local tournament
(one of the best game and watches on the east coast)
he does alot of upair edgeguarding (wasnt used to) and is just a big wall of priority with that turtle along with amazing grab placement and stunlocks overall
making me barely able to defend myself

I cant shield grab (Turtle > Shield)
I have amazing trouble getting back on the stage
and I have no approach

This has never happened to me so im wondering what are some tips against a professional game and watch

and if your wondering
first match 2 stocked
2nd match counterpicked halberd (cuz i like that stage lulz)
2 stocked =(

I mean i generally know what im doing against a game and watch and It was a VERY good intense fight but
i need some suggestions

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I probably haven't played a G&W nearly as good as him.

However, some basic suggestions: shieldgrab Turtle. You can't, because it eats your shield, and he lands out of grab range? Well that sucks, G&W is broken >=( get out of the way if you see a Bair coming. Or perhaps you could duck part of it, then put up your shield for the rest of it, so it doesn't eat your whole shield.

Learn the techtime of his Dthrow. Beep beep beep beep L! Where the fifth beep should be, press your shield button, and perhaps the control stick, and tech or techroll.
Don't get grabbed. XD

DON'T COUNTERPICK HALBERD AGAINST GAME AND WATCH
srsly, he'll kill you at like 0% because of the low ceiling. Pick Jungle Japes. And ban Rainbow Cruise (imo)
If he bans Jungle Japes...perhaps Luigi's Mansion?

Upair edgeguarding isn't a huge deal, it lets him take control of your actions, but doesn't do any actual damage. Use Stone if you see a glaring opportunity, otherwise, just be extremely careful.

Since G&W's attacks pretty much beat all of Kirby's, you're going to have to be pretty defensive. The best thing for you to do is make him want to use Dair. It's extremely easy to shield and punish, as long as you shield both hits. You also want to punish landing lag of Fair, and possibly Bair, though that's harder.

His smashes are super godlike, but if he's somewhat predictable with them, you can time an attack to punish them. Just watch out, because they're all spammable and have ******** priority. I hate thinking about G&W, he's so lame @_@
Watch out for superarmor on upsmash. Seriously, fast attack that kills at like 60%, with superarmor. -_-

If all else fails and you're going to get owned no matter what, Copy his power and spam Chef at him, and tell me how that turns out. Even if he fills up his bucket, he can't defend himself when his bucket is full mwahahahahahahah

Allied

Smash Master
haha yeah he doesnt make mistakes tho very hard to punish
Hell even his Fair i cant punish its just precise and he knows when my shield is low (usually a failed grab attempt from his bair)

i picked halberd for better spacing and recovering opportunies (under the stage considering on battlefield he was ****** me because of my limited recovery opportunites and easy edgeguardinjg setups)
your right tho poor counterpick on my part

yeah i missed the techtime twice and it servely PUNISHED me =(

and hell yeah i banned rainbow cruise that stage is mad gay lol
i generally never have this insanely hard of a time with game and stupid
but i guess thats why hes considered the top of the top
counterpick metaknight =(?

Psh Na.

ungulateman

Smash Journeyman
I'd personally CP Game and Watch. I choose Pika, because you get:

Projectiles
GIMPING!
easy kills off smashes
& hitboxes on hinges.

ungulateman

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
GaW is hard, like most characters with disjointed hitboxes. So few opportunities to punish. I would suggest checking the character discussion thread:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=195032

I'd personally CP Game and Watch. I choose Pika, because you get:

Projectiles
GIMPING!
easy kills off smashes
& hitboxes on hinges.

ungulateman
Projectiles = bad against GaW cuz of his bucket. Pikachu does badly against people with disjointed hitboxes too, and his smashes are definitely not that great for kills.
-Dsmash is DI-able, just mash up.
-Fsmash is probably his best option
-Usmash you need to get real close, which GaW doesnt allow easily.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
All I do is play against Game and Watch. Its hard work but doable. Work the entire match. Game and Watch is safe on block with most stuff, but you still have a lot of frame advantage to work with because of the slow startup on all of his moves, so when you block something, jump out of your shield and backair or space backward. Backrolls are sometimes good as well.

Work his spacing all the time, especially when he's coming down from the air. If you can rush under him when he's messing around with D-air and face the correct direction, you'll often get a shieldgrab for 10% or a free b-air on block, or a free D-tilt. If you find that he usually follows up after you shield something, just fulljump after a block, and come down with any attack for free. If you succeed with the block mixup you'll often find that the matchup gets much easier and more things open up to you naturally.

Make sure he knows about the grab, then when he goes for a SH aerial, he'll space it, and you can just roll through it and evaluate from there. D-tilt is good in this situation.

Grab the edge with your jumps when returning and always be fast on the sticks and ready to tech and DI and airdodge.

You can Smash DI up out of turtle and immediately b-air and sometimes U-air for a free hit that trades positive and sets you up well.

Obviously mix up your techrolls against Downthrow and try your hardest not to get grabbed. Teching in place when you're not at kill percent to jab combo works well for me, but its mostly just important to do a variety of things and predict their reactions.

If they mash C-stick after a D-air, D-air to charged F-smash for very low % kills and soliddddd damage.

Get your grab hits because you need to kill with F-smash and B-air and both need to be fresh.

mmm... the most important thing is to work that spacing. Your B moves have really no place against Game and Watch.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
If G&W recovers from below you can stone his up b. Some points of his up b are invincible but I stone g&w up b's all the time so it's not that difficult.

Learn how to DI through and behind the turtle.

I kinda like Halberd too. An upthrow at like 113% kills him but obviously he can kill u really early too.

lockdown7

Smash Cadet
Yes G&W's are a ***** for sure. I think someone said this earlier but try baiting him into doing a dair. while he is above you, short hop so he tries for the key. You then just fastfall to the ground, shield it and do whatever youd like to Mr G&W. When you get to 80%+ you will now what G&W is looking for...the smash. At this point try and stay in the air most of the time. You may get a turtle or 2 to the face but this way you keep him frustrated and still looking for that smash. He may make a dumb mistake when you are doing this and you can rack up some damage instead of dieing at 80ish percent.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I dunno, hammer and stone mindgames ftw. Though i agree with everything else you said. Kinda hard to keep the bair fresh though, i find myself bairing a lot against GaW's.
Indeed. All of Kirby's moves have their places in this matchup.

Don't underestimate Up B or Inhale either. Final Cutter is Kirby's best option for outprioritizing G&W. Despite its lagginess, it is good to throw in their.

Inhale works if you approach and you think he'll just shield an aerial.

Top Bottom