• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Suggestions for Secondary Character

Slipsystem13

Smash Cadet
I have found Brawl overall to be more welcoming to using new characters. However I find that I still can't get over the loss of my one true character young Link. So far Pikachu has felt the best to me and with minimal effort I was able to become an extemely effective Pikachu player. He feels right in my hands and I can visualize effective combos fairly often with ease. My only problem is that Diddy destroys in every way, I have diffculty with the bananas and no amtter what I've done I have had no end of trouble trying to beat him. My only other option at this point is looking for a counter for Diddy mostly. My trouble is that I have yet to find another character which feels as good as Young Link or Pikachu do you guys have any suggestions.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Careful with preemptively calling yourself "extremely effective". I thought that a while back, then I realized that I was spamming DSmash and Thunder against people that didn't know how to combat it well.

Slipsystem13

Smash Cadet
My friends actually told me to play Pikachu. I had refused to play Pikachu because I had gotten very good with him and was winning far too often. I picked him up and instantly felt at home with him. I might not be Anther but I can combo fairly well and rarely spam moves.

Slipsystem13

Smash Cadet
I've tried that in fact today I spent a while trying a whole bunch of different characters. Often characters come to me they just play out well for me I'm not very used to working on playing well with a character, so I need guidance. I was enthusiastic about playing Young Link and therefore spent my time getting good with him. I've yet to fin that character in Brawl and am just looking for easy transitions to cover my back.

KuroKitt10

Smash Journeyman
I actually used to have problems with Diddy as well, but I've been learning how to work against that match up. My biggest problem for a while were those darn banana's. Once you learn how to actually use them against him though, your life will become a lot easier!

I second Zero Suit Samus. She goes near even with all of Pikachu's bad matchups, and learning how to use her suit pieces taught me a lot about picking up and using items in a match - which was invaluable against playing Diddy. I don't know much about Kid Link - I never really played him in Melee - so I'm not sure how ZSS's games compares to his. Personally, I enjoy her because she combos well and is very very maneuverable (one of the reasons I like pikachu). She does take quite a while to learn though, so be warned!

Meow.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
OP what i think you need to do is sit down and make a list of attributes that made you like Young Link.

That way while your trying out different Brawl characters, you can go through this list and see who does and doesnt fit the bill. Let me give you an example;

I love mulitple jumps. I work with them primarily so heres what i did.

I choose Dedede as my main. All my seconds are as follows;

Kirby
Meta Knight
Jigglypuff

They all got one thing in common, they all have multiple jumps. But as i continued to play them i found OTHER things these 4 had in common;

Bair Wall of Pain.

Dedede, Kirby, and Jiggs got a really excellent back aerial that can be used to WOP.

Fair for damage racking;

Jiggs, Meta and Kirby got a good lagless Fair used to follow ups.

Chain Grabbing;

Dedede and Kirby got different but good chain grabs. Obviously im talking about the Gonzo combo for kirby [fthrow,uair sometimes standing dthrow]

Also Jiggs and Kirby have a similar Dair, only differance is Kirby has more start up lag and alittle bit more knock back. Whilst Kirbys Fsmash has more range compared to Jiggs. But they work almost the same way.

One thing I love about all 4 is their Nair's. Jiggs, Kirby, Meta and D3's Nair are great for comboing. Dedede's Nair can KO off the top if fresh and Meta's can also kill if the strongest hit connects. Jigg's Nair can be used to push a recovering enemy away from the ledge if Jiggs can get herself between the ledge and the opponent.

For the things all 4 do differently; thats really the other reason why i get on them. They have different tilts, throws, jabs, specials and sometimes smashes. Depending on the different tools all 4 offer, it allows me to have flexibility. It allows me to control the stage differently, and lets me mix up my match ups quite a bit. I dont use Meta for everything, because to be frank im not comfortable using him against some match ups. I'd rather face another Meta on my D3 then use my Meta.

Slipsystem13

Smash Cadet
Well, I went and checked out the possibilities and it seems that the way I play Young Link is very similar to the way I play Ivysaur, so I've decided to play PT. The great thing is he fits exactly what I wanted. I need to work on him because he is not exactly the easy or most effective character but I think I can do it just like with Young Link. I like how PT fills multiple roles and suits my need for range and close combat in harmony.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Well, I went and checked out the possibilities and it seems that the way I play Young Link is very similar to the way I play Ivysaur, so I've decided to play PT. The great thing is he fits exactly what I wanted. I need to work on him because he is not exactly the easy or most effective character but I think I can do it just like with Young Link. I like how PT fills multiple roles and suits my need for range and close combat in harmony.
Young Link similar to Ivysaur? :dizzy:

Granted, I never played Young Link, so maybe you're right. I just don't see it, lol -- they seem so different. Glad you found a secondary you like, though! I'd play Ivysaur as more than just a fun character if her recovery didn't suck so badly.....

Slipsystem13

Smash Cadet
Yeah, it's sounds pretty silly considering the wieght differences but it just seems to feel right. Granted Ivysaur feels a bit heavier and has tons more power but I find that the way I chain ranged attacks and aerials are very similar for both my Young Link and Ivysaur

gallax

Smash Hero
sounds interesting. my advice is use snake if you like explosions and love pwer moves. use zss if you want to keep your finess. or use Dk if you like the style.

my vote...snake!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom