• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Suggestions for choosing a secondary?

RedQuelll

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedQuell
Personally, I think it's a good idea to force your opponent to mix-up their playstyle, so I try to pick secondaries with that in mind.

I'd say right now, my strongest secondary to Capt Falcon is Villager. They play so differently it's insane. As Falcon I'm aggressive and wavedashy nearly all game, but as Villager I just run away and fire gyroids and SHFFL'd slingshots if I can't win the neutral game. Sometimes I'll even try to run out the clock if they're being defensive and the game is taking a while. It really can't be helped with Villager, he sort of needs to play like that to win games.

I've actually had to engage an "anti-villager clause" in friendly matches with friends because they ended up getting to demoralized if I fought them with Villager. Usually we talk smack but eventually they would just stop talking and I would just start to feel bad.

My avatar would indicate that I might pick Shulk, but I've put Shulk on indefinite hiatus for now. I don't think he's very good once your opponent knows how to fight him. He gets completely destroyed by everything if he hits shields.
"wavedashy"? O-o

Infern Absol

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0147-2593-6326
I think Pikachu would be a good secondary for you. Though, Pikachu struggles with Ness. That would be the only common bad match up imo though. Fast, Projectile that can be very annoying, good kill confirms, and amazing recovery/edge guarding too

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
I'm currently searching for a secondary, the options I have on the table are, Shiek, Pika, maybe Fox.
I feel like shiek covers basically everything really but requires a lot of effort in order to get good. Pika/Fox both require a lot of practice but they would definitely be more suitable as a secondary. I don't even know lol.

Running into good Kirbys, Pikas just due to being small is mentally draining at times.

I feel Falcon is a character that doesn't "need" a secondary but if you're willing to put in the time with your secondary it wouldn't hurt for sure.

Top Bottom