• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Suggestions for choosing a secondary?

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
I know the title makes this thread sound like it shouldn't be in the Captain Falcon character thread, but I promise it is Falcon orientated :p

My problem is that I have been trying to find a secondary to compliment my Falcon main. I'm having a lot of trouble finding one that suits my playstyle. Due to the speed of Falcon, I find a lot of characters with an average speed (eg. Mario, etc.) too "sluggish".

I'd be very greatful if the other Falcon mains out there could suggest a possible secondary that plays similarly to Captain Falcon, but has some more ranged attacks (since his big weakness is he always has to be up close. :p ). Thanks in advance :)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Zero Suit Samus is pretty quick and combative, but she has a few mid to long-range moves to complement her jumps and kicks.

There's always Fox, of course, if you want speed and range in decent measure.

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I'd say Fox or Greninja are good option for characters who can still definitely play the rushdown game, but have much less difficulty against zoning/campy characters

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
Fox is certainly a character I'm considering. His comboing is something I really like to see.

Zero Suit isn't as appealing to me, probably because I find her moveset a little predictable when I face off against her, but she still seems like a good character to try out :p

As for Greninja, I've tried him a couple of times, but he hasn't quite clicked for me. I'd love him to click, as he's one of my favourite Pokemon (up there with Mewtwo :D ) but I still have trouble bringing out the best in him.

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
I have no idea why but I really warmed up to villager.
I did give Villager a go, but while I love his Fair, Nair and DSmash, I'm not so find of his movement speed. Like Mario, he feels a little sluggish to me. Might play around with him a bit more though :)

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I'd probably go with Sheik, if I were you. As fast as Falcon, but has projectiles! And she has style, too! Killing with upB is always gloriously hilarious.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I did give Villager a go, but while I love his Fair, Nair and DSmash, I'm not so find of his movement speed. Like Mario, he feels a little sluggish to me. Might play around with him a bit more though :)
I was a snake main in brawl. Maybe it is the ability to set things up and trap the opponent that attracted me. Also, the stark difference in playstyle between villager and falcon is refreshing.

Plus there's something special about how trolly his entire moveset looks while still being hilariously effective.

ninjaclone09

Smash Cadet
NNID
ninjaclone09
3DS FC
3411-2166-3677
Play with falcon more until you figure out his bad matchups, then pick a secondary that does well against his bad matchups. I use jiggs because she does pretty good against rosaluma, sheik, and some other matchups falcon doesn't do too well with. They seem like they have really different playstyles, but I think they complement eachother in how gratifying their moves are(falcon's knee, jiggly's rest)

you could also just, like, pick whatever character you like. that's why I use megaman, I love those games

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
I'd probably go with Sheik, if I were you. As fast as Falcon, but has projectiles! And she has style, too! Killing with upB is always gloriously hilarious.
Sheik, eh? I actually hadn't thought about trying her out! :p Shedoes seem quite a promising character, so I'll certainly give her a try!

I was a snake main in brawl. Maybe it is the ability to set things up and trap the opponent that attracted me. Also, the stark difference in playstyle between villager and falcon is refreshing.

Plus there's something special about how trolly his entire moveset looks while still being hilariously effective.
So was I! :D Snake was brilliant fun! Though I have to say, one of his pros was his raw power on top of his traps

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Been thinking of Pikachu myself, he's totally different from Falcon as he's small, light and has a couple different projectiles but still moves fast and has very good frame data on almost all of his attacks. So might begin Falcon's quest to be the very best.

Hoejja

Smash Apprentice
I also have jigglypuff puff as second char but i doubt he will be viable enough for me to keep him.

I think, as ninjaclone said, that time will tell, about your own matchups preferences and falcon's bad matchups in general...

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Little Mac is great as a "let's have fun" secondary, but the lack of an airgame really hurts when you're so used to Falcon :\

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac is great as a "let's have fun" secondary, but the lack of an airgame really hurts when you're so used to Falcon :\
Also, with the sheer amount of noobs who play as him, unfortunately one of my fave Ninty characters has become stale to me... -_- RIP Little Mac...

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
zss, shiek and fox are pretty similar to falcon (fast, good airgame) but with better ranged options

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Lucario may not be very similar to Falcon, but he has great range and killpower after taking damage. He's also good against a few matchups Falcon struggles with like Duck Hunt and Sheik. Not to mention that he has a BEASTLY recovery.

Last edited:

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
I just recently picked wii fit trainer as my secondary...not too much in common but also pretty quick.

I also use Marth for fun because it helps my spacing which carries back over to falcon...or anyone for that matter

Last edited:

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Maybe it's just because the metagame hasn't advanced far enough to change my mind, but I don't really feel that Falcon needs any secondaries in this game to perform at the top level. If you're having trouble with a matchup, I feel like it might just be signaling that you just need to become a better player. Like at the beginning of Smash 3ds, I thought Rosalina, Duck Hunt, and Sheik were all very hard, but now I think that they're pretty even once you REALLY figure things out.

moreside

Smash Cadet
Maybe it's just because the metagame hasn't advanced far enough to change my mind, but I don't really feel that Falcon needs any secondaries in this game to perform at the top level.
I disagree. I feel like there are some matchups that, all else considered equal, Falcon has an incredibly tough time winning. Mainly due to his lack of projectiles, the fact that he's fairly tall and is a fast faller, and because he's easily gimpable. Ness immediately comes to mind as a terrible matchup for Falcon.

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
I disagree. I feel like there are some matchups that, all else considered equal, Falcon has an incredibly tough time winning. Mainly due to his lack of projectiles, the fact that he's fairly tall and is a fast faller, and because he's easily gimpable. Ness immediately comes to mind as a terrible matchup for Falcon.
Well, I'll just have to try and prove you wrong then! I'll try to get so good at beating Ness (and other matchups we disagree on), that when people watch me fight high level players, they'll change their minds!
Out of curiosity, what other matchups do you think Falcon has a hard time in?

moreside

Smash Cadet
Well, I'll just have to try and prove you wrong then! I'll try to get so good at beating Ness (and other matchups we disagree on), that when people watch me fight high level players, they'll change their minds!
Please do, I'll be the first to watch and take notes! I'll definitely give the harder matchups a better shot with Falcon too, instead of resorting to my secondary. As far as other matchups go I think Falcon is generally pretty easy to combo, and it shows on characters like Ness, Sheik, or Pikachu, for example. Not unwinnable, but an uphill battle nonetheless.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
As far as other matchups go I think Falcon is generally pretty easy to combo, and it shows on characters like Ness, Sheik, or Pikachu, for example. Not unwinnable, but an uphill battle nonetheless.
I would also add Lucario and Duck Hunt to that list, competent players who use those chars are very hard to overcome in my experiences.

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's just because the metagame hasn't advanced far enough to change my mind, but I don't really feel that Falcon needs any secondaries in this game to perform at the top level. If you're having trouble with a matchup, I feel like it might just be signaling that you just need to become a better player. Like at the beginning of Smash 3ds, I thought Rosalina, Duck Hunt, and Sheik were all very hard, but now I think that they're pretty even once you REALLY figure things out.
Yeah, some days you just gotta stop Falcon around, and overcome all obstacles, no matter how unsurmountable, with sheer manliness.

I have a HELL of a time against Zero Suit. Still, even then, if you predict a flip kick, it's basically a really easy Paunch setup.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
What comes to ZSS, Falcon's uair > her flip kick. Falcon's dash attack > her paralyzer. Falcon's jab or spot dodge after dash attacking paralyzer > ZSS's approach or grab. DI saves you from her combos at percents where it really matters. Falcon also lives long and ZSS doesn't.

Lucario actually has inferior range to Falcon and aura spheres are easy to avoid especially with Falcon's speed, and you can usually kill him before he reaches considerable power.

Falcon being a fast faller isn't a bad thing, it's the opposite. He may get comboed but he can also combo just as much as his opponents except for like Sheik, Pikachu, Luigi and Fox. However he lives approximately 50% further than any of them bar Luigi who isn't as big of a threat as the others. Ness and Yoshi are pretty much on par with Falcon's combo/reset capability, but Ness has a crappy recovery and he's slow, while Yoshi has a sub par recovery and trouble killing. If you play a smart hit and run Falcon, something he's arguably the best at along with Sonic, I don't think Ness is necessarily all that bad. Sheik I could see problems with, but nothing major considering the difference in weight and kill power once again. It's a bigger thing than people think. Pikachu and Fox are sort of in the same boat, but they have some legit setups for kill moves even if the moves alone are normally predictable.

Last edited:

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
I do Megaman/Shulk, both of those chars sorta have an easy time with the matchups that falcon is bad at.

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
What comes to ZSS, Falcon's uair > her flip kick. Falcon's dash attack > her paralyzer. Falcon's jab or spot dodge after dash attacking paralyzer > ZSS's approach or grab. DI saves you from her combos at percents where it really matters. Falcon also lives long and ZSS doesn't.
You... you can dash attack... paralyzer shots?

ohmygodimsofackingstupidhowdidimissthatsheeshcantbelieveitwhatthehell

*ahem*

Thanks. You're the best. Manliness FOREVER! If I'm listing my seconds, I'll say upfront that I have secondaries not because I think Falcon has matchups that he can't overcome, but rather that you can get tired of one character after a while, even your main. Anyway, I play:

MegaMan
Shulk
DK
Sheik
Fox
Little Mac
Ganondorf
Greninja
Wii Fit Trainer
Ness
Duck Hunt Dog

Almost all of these characters are about fast, furious point blank strikes, so hopefully they'll feel at home for Falcon Players.

Last edited:

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
You... you can dash attack... paralyzer shots?

ohmygodimsofackingstupidhowdidimissthatsheeshcantbelieveitwhatthehell

*ahem*

Thanks. You're the best. Manliness FOREVER! If I'm listing my seconds, I'll say upfront that I have secondaries not because I think Falcon has matchups that he can't overcome, but rather that you can get tired of one character after a while, even your main. Anyway, I play:

MegaMan
Shulk
DK
Sheik
Fox
Little Mac
Ganondorf
Greninja
Wii Fit Trainer
Ness
Duck Hunt Dog

Almost all of these characters are about fast, furious point blank strikes, so hopefully they'll feel at home for Falcon Players.
I'd recommend not playing DHD out of all those characters. Sure he has ok stage contorl, but you wont be killing anyone until they're 150-200%, and rage is actually a hindrance than a help to you. DHD is more of a 2s char instead of a singles.

You can also try DDD, he has some good matchups and a scary pummel/recovery.

Last edited:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I'd recommend not playing DHD out of all those characters. Sure he has ok stage contorl, but you wont be killing anyone until they're 150-200%
Umm, what? The can kills. You can combo into his can (it's even in his reveal trailer). His smashes are ridiculously good too. How can you only kill someone at like 150+%? o.O

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
You can prevent the can setups if you don't sit in your shield when a can is out, and you can hit the can and reverse it.
The smashes have good range and good kill power but they can't be set up. He can punish you with them if he reads a dodge or a roll, but everyone can do that.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I still refuse to believe DHD can't reliably kill until 150+ or higher percentages, heh. But then again, I don't exactly play him.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I still refuse to believe DHD can't reliably kill until 150+ or higher percentages, heh. But then again, I don't exactly play him.
And you'd be right! He's actually quite deadly in the right hands~

I'd argue Duck Hunt is a pretty decent secondary for Cap, if only because he's so totally different that you can run the whole gamut of matchups with just those two characters.

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
Um, I should have mentioned that I have a few characters that are just my "I'm feeling tired and I want to goof around" characters for casual play: DHD and Pac-Man. I don't really play them as seriously as the other characters in that list.... not to say DHD can't be a beast (heh) or anything.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Now that you mention him, I use Pac-Man as well. Can't beat chef Pac-Man, best skin in the game.

(his wacky style of playing is so different from Falcon, it's great :) )

Top Bottom