• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sudai has figured out ROB's biggest weakness.

Sudai

Stuff here
We all know a logical paradox can destroy a normal Robot, but ROB is far superior and has anti-paradoxal coding, just in case.

Well, Sudai has found something that even ROB can not survive from. The disapproval of math and therefore all sciences.

Sudai can make any number equal another number. : )

Ironically enough, I'll be using math to disprove the fundamental concept of math..lol

Ok, first we define our variables. For this equation we'll let 'a' represent the first arbitrary number, 'b' represent the second arbitrary number, and 't' represent the sum of the two.

a + b = t
(a + b) (a - b) = t(a - b)
a^2 - b^2 = ta - tb
a^2 - ta = b^2 - tb
a^2 - ta + (t^2)/4 = b^2 - tb + (t^2)/4
(a - t/2)^2 = (b - t/2)^2
a - t/2 = b - t/2
a = b

I think we need to start working on a counter for this ******** strategy right now before ROB becomes unplayable. : (

Edit: This is what happens when Sudai stays up late and remembers someone mentioning that it's possible to prove that a number can equal any other number in his calc class a while back, so he tried to figure it out. This proof took me about an hour and a half to come up with, but as far as I can tell, it's actually pretty solid.

matricide

Smash Cadet
i don't even remember having to prove anything like that in my calc class, lol

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
*ERRR* You can't take that square root near the end without considering all the positive and negative possibilities. You get 4 possibilites:
a - t/2 = b - t/2
-a + t/2 = -b + t/2
a - t/2 = -b + t/2
-a + t/2 = b - t/2

The first two are equivalent and give you
a = b
which is one possible answer.

The second two are equivalent and give you
a + b = t
Look familiar? It's possible that a = b, but the second one is definitely true, so nothing has been proven

QED *****

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
What JCaesar007 said. I spent like 20 minutes staring at the equation on the first post, then I scrolled down and say JCaesar's post. Thanks, you just wasted 20 minutes of my life. So yeah, it's possible that a and b are equal, like 1+1=2.

Sudai

Stuff here
*ERRR* You can't take that square root near the end without considering all the positive and negative possibilities. You get 4 possibilites:
a - t/2 = b - t/2
-a + t/2 = -b + t/2
a - t/2 = -b + t/2
-a + t/2 = b - t/2

The first two are equivalent and give you
a = b
which is one possible answer.

The second two are equivalent and give you
a + b = t
Look familiar? It's possible that a = b, but the second one is definitely true, so nothing has been proven

QED *****
Bah! I knew I should have waited and gone over it again after some sleep..hah.

Oh, and we didn't have to prove that in Calc (it has nothing to do with calc, lol) the topic was just brought up by a student cause we didn't do **** in that class.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea when i went through it i knew something was wrong with that step and jcaesar also found it, and even explained y lol

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Whew. Good job on correcting that Caesar. I was almost forced to put ROB away. A thousand thank yous.
Also-- good **** Sudai and Caesar on the math. I am a math Schiavo (40,000 internet monies to someone who gets the reference), so I am flabbergasted by the epic showing.

On that note, I'm more of a philosophy-esque type person. Maybe I should use that to find ROB's weakness. Hmm... come to think of it, I could reverse engineer him, and throw in a design for countering the weakness I found...
[-runs off to snatch up some empiricism and existential philosophy texts, and then off to the lab-]

Ok a real weakness would be that when you shoot out a gyro, the opponent just stands next to it and shields this will make it disappear.
for the sake of whatever integrity you might have gained in no more than 27 days and 23 posts... I hope you're joking.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
Whew. Good job on correcting that Caesar. I was almost forced to put ROB away. A thousand thank yous.
Also-- good **** Sudai and Caesar on the math. I am a math Schiavo (40,000 internet monies to someone who gets the reference), so I am flabbergasted by the epic showing.

On that note, I'm more of a philosophy-esque type person. Maybe I should use that to find ROB's weakness. Hmm... come to think of it, I could reverse engineer him, and throw in a design for countering the weakness I found...
[-runs off to snatch up some empiricism and existential philosophy texts, and then off to the lab-]

for the sake of whatever integrity you might have gained in no more than 27 days and 23 posts... I hope you're joking.
Shiavo as in that brain dead woman on national television? then Shiavo i am as well. Can i has some monies ?

R.O.B.O.T.

Smash Cadet

Yeah I see my mistake. Sorry about that.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
a = b
a^2 = ab
a^2 + b^2 = ab + b^2
(a-b)(a+b) = b(a+b)
(a-b)=b
a=2b
a=2a
1=2
0=1
Everything = Everything?
Note that a^2+b^2 does not factor. What you wanted in your second step was to subtract b^2 from both sides, giving a^2-b^2=ab-b^2. Then....

(a-b)(a+b)=b(a-b)
a+b=b
2b=b
2=1
1=0

So, do you want to know of what this is an excellent example (maybe even proof)? Why dividing by zero is impossible. Note that when you divide by (a-b) you're dividing by (b-b), which is 0. To check where the problem becomes ****ed up, just plug in a number at the beginning and work it through. I used 2. So, after factoring, here's what we have.

(2-2)(2+2)=2(2-2)

Now, you can clearly see that by dividing by (a-b) you're dividing by 0. You can also see that at this step, both sides are 0=0, so the equation works out. The division screws it up:

2+2=2

Which is demonstrably not true. Thus dividing by 0 is a mathematically impossible procedure.

As J-seize said earlier,

QED

In other news, this is probably ROB's fatal weakness. If somehow one of the enemies is able to get him to divide by zero, the universe could very well cease to exist.

Sudai

Stuff here
Yeah. I'm fairly sure ROB would be fine with the whole divide by zero thing. He's intelligent enough to know he should just take the limit.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
The only thing that confuses ROB is how Kirby turns blue, gains superpowers, and becomes an unstoppable demon from hell when he puts on a mask. **** metaknight!

YuanTi

Smash Rookie
Fail man. Didn't even think ROB would spot that you're dividing by 0. For shame.

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
Note that a^2+b^2 does not factor. What you wanted in your second step was to subtract b^2 from both sides, giving a^2-b^2=ab-b^2. Then....

(a-b)(a+b)=b(a-b)
a+b=b
2b=b
2=1
1=0

So, do you want to know of what this is an excellent example (maybe even proof)? Why dividing by zero is impossible. Note that when you divide by (a-b) you're dividing by (b-b), which is 0. To check where the problem becomes ****ed up, just plug in a number at the beginning and work it through. I used 2. So, after factoring, here's what we have.

(2-2)(2+2)=2(2-2)

Now, you can clearly see that by dividing by (a-b) you're dividing by 0. You can also see that at this step, both sides are 0=0, so the equation works out. The division screws it up:

2+2=2

Which is demonstrably not true. Thus dividing by 0 is a mathematically impossible procedure.

As J-seize said earlier,

QED

In other news, this is probably ROB's fatal weakness. If somehow one of the enemies is able to get him to divide by zero, the universe could very well cease to exist.

Excellent analysis sir!
I did infact screw up with the factoring, but I just pulled this up out of my head from a long time ago and only gave it a cursory glance-over before posting. Also, I am aware that I can't divide by zero. :chuckle: It's somewhat of a trick proof; some can't figure out what's wrong because they don't realize that a-b is 0 if a=b.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I came here looking for info about my hardest matchup.>_>

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
ROB does not worry about such trivial matters as dividing by zero.

ROB worries about love...

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
I think the main weakness for us ROBs is that someone can make a thread like this and THIS is the great problem that we spend time analyzing/correcting and exploring alternatives for...and not how to fix our game, lmao.

So far we've had a revelation that most larger ROB names are musicians...are we also math-heads? [not meth-heads like Nackers] **** you JCz, if I lurked more I could have taken the math-dork glory!!!

I remember discovering something in highschool calc [anti-differentiation of some combination of sin/cosin under the radical or something obscene like that]...and after 3 pages of proof, it only worked if x wasn't -3pi /4 or something like that and my teacher was like "wow..well...that's neat but, won't make you famous, unfortunately"

;____;

Shido

Smash Rookie
a + b = t
(a + b) (a - b) = t(a - b)
a^2 - b^2 = ta - tb
a^2 - ta = b^2 - tb
a^2 - ta + (t^2)/4 = b^2 - tb + (t^2)/4
(a - t/2)^2 = (b - t/2)^2
a - t/2 = b - t/2
a = b
There's an error going from line two to three as (a+b)(a-b) does not in fact simplify to a^2 - b^2, but it actually factors out to a^2-ab+ab-2b which simplifies to a^2-2b.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Ummm no, that line was correct. (a + b) (a - b) does = a^2 - b^2.

I found the error already, look at the 6th post.

Top Bottom