• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Subspace Emissary.... am I supposed to be having fun?

Repryx

Smash Champion
That Fight with Taboo was crazy....he kept one hit killing me.....

But yeah it does get repetitive (ecspecially the last level omg took me like 45 mins)

But I just consider it a means to get all characters easily...cuz thats what I did!

-Ciao

Zyphent

Smash Apprentice
I had a lot of fun in the subspace emissary, the story progression was interesting and I actually found myself laughing at some parts and mentally gasping at some plot twists that I didn't see coming.

*Spoiler*
Untill the maze, that was probably the most painful thing I've done game wise in a while. It just wasn't fun. Its re-doing everything you just spent 6 hours doing.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice umm.. Geno nore megaman made it in brawl. sorry to break it to you.
Oh gee whiz, I'm glad you are informing me on something I've already known for almost 2 months... Really, the reason they are still in my sig is because I've been supporting both characters for an SSB game since 2002 and I'm not going to drop my support for them simply because they didn't show up in Brawl. Trust me, an SSB4 will be announced 4-5 years from now and I'll be there supporting both of them.

Kinsei_Kensei

Smash Apprentice
Think of it as a random Kirby game but more eventful. That's where it shines. Or think of it as Kingdom Hearts but less eventful. That's were it....glows?

Seriously though, I think SSE was invented for 4 main reasons...

1.) To give solo players something to do.

2.) To introduce new character as well as give a player experience with every character (even Sonic at the end).

3.) To give an actual premise to a game that otherwise would have been the .mindless beating of random character (which wouldn't be a bad thing but think of the children....or not).

4.) To make characters easy to unlock (seriously, in 64 and Melee you had to do certain tasks to get characters. In Brawl, just play SSE, and everyone shows up for the party! (except for 3 others but they weren't invited)

I know I liked playing Kirby Hearts...I mean SSE.

6footninja

Smash Ace
Yeah I agree, it was fairly entertaining the first hour and a half, but then it gets really repetitive.

But its either that, or play 450 1hp matches...suddeny SSE looks better.

Kr3w

Smash Journeyman
lol, yeah i had the same thought, It's kinda the smae thing over and over again, just with cutscenes, but still it's an awesome game! :]

Union Carbine

Smash Rookie
Last Verse, Same as the First

...that was probably the most painful thing I've done game wise in a while. It just wasn't fun. Its re-doing everything you just spent 6 hours doing.
Yeah, that was the very definition of a grind. I didn't even fight anything that I didn't absolutely have to, I just sprinted across the levels as quickly as possible.

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
I certainly hope that you're not supposed to be having fun. SSE if ****ing TERRIBLE. It is repetitive, boring, and even has an incredibly stupid storyline. Oh wow, go around and kill a bunch of horribly designed and even worse named enemies. Armight! Arm and Might! Feyesh! Fish and Eye! Greap! Grim and Reap! Roturret! Rotate and Turret! Shellpod! Shell and Pod! Are you serious? REALLY? Hey! At least you get to fight a huge alliance of beloved villains! Oh? Just Bowser and Ganondorf? They really had to make WARIO evil because they failed to add any villains. Why should I have to fight a bunch of stupid pointless enemies when I could be fighting enemies from Nintendo games?! Laziness?! I think so! Oh wow you get to fight goombas, koopas, and hammer bros! Where are the Kremlings, Moblins, Space Pirates, Pokemon Clones, Pikmin Monsters, Kirby Bad guys, Mother bad guys, Robotnik Robots etc. He COULD have made this game incredibly epic had he done away with the whole subspace emmissary and just had villains working together in some manner with master hand and crazy hand. I don't even want to think how many characters we would have if Sakurai's first priority wasn't the fail that IS the SSE. All of the time spent designing, creating, and tweaking the enemies, stages, and cutscenes. We probably could have had a roster of at least 50. I REALLY hope Sakurai does not work on the next Smash Bros and that the next head of the project realizes what fans really want. Tons of Characters and Stages. THAT IS IT. How hard is it to grasp? Really! Sakurai fails.
Not everyone is like you dumbarse. The rest is simply too easy to beat. The names? LAWLIOS! Have you seen ANY name for ANY creature? Look back far enough and it's simply a few words but in a different language. Who said it HAD to be Nintendo bad guys. It's a story mode, with a main enemy who has his own enemies? Who said it HAD to be Nintendo enemies only? Really, do you know how hard it would be to fight a Kremlin, Moblins, Space Pirates which come in groups of ten or more, You ALREADY FIGHT POKEMON ******, Tiny little monsters from Pikmin? Master Hand is good enough. Did you want another crap Adventure Mode with no plot? Roster of 50? HA! It was ONLY famous chars. Did you want people like Megaman, Birdo, CLONES, MINOR characters (Mewtwo excluded because he owned. But Lucario is kinda like him.) and so on? I REALLY hope Sakurai is on the next project, because he rejects every idea that would make MORE people angry. EVERY idea he will EVER come back will face critisism. I must repeat, NOT EVERYONE IS LIKE YOU. If you don't like this, GO PLAY TEKKEN OR STREET FIGHTER, and GTFO off of the Brawl sub-forum. How hard is it to grasp? Really! You fail.

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
I certainly hope that you're not supposed to be having fun. SSE if ****ing TERRIBLE. It is repetitive, boring, and even has an incredibly stupid storyline. Oh wow, go around and kill a bunch of horribly designed and even worse named enemies. Armight! Arm and Might! Feyesh! Fish and Eye! Greap! Grim and Reap! Roturret! Rotate and Turret! Shellpod! Shell and Pod! Are you serious? REALLY? Hey! At least you get to fight a huge alliance of beloved villains! Oh? Just Bowser and Ganondorf? They really had to make WARIO evil because they failed to add any villains. Why should I have to fight a bunch of stupid pointless enemies when I could be fighting enemies from Nintendo games?! Laziness?! I think so! Oh wow you get to fight goombas, koopas, and hammer bros! Where are the Kremlings, Moblins, Space Pirates, Pokemon Clones, Pikmin Monsters, Kirby Bad guys, Mother bad guys, Robotnik Robots etc. He COULD have made this game incredibly epic had he done away with the whole subspace emmissary and just had villains working together in some manner with master hand and crazy hand. I don't even want to think how many characters we would have if Sakurai's first priority wasn't the fail that IS the SSE. All of the time spent designing, creating, and tweaking the enemies, stages, and cutscenes. We probably could have had a roster of at least 50. I REALLY hope Sakurai does not work on the next Smash Bros and that the next head of the project realizes what fans really want. Tons of Characters and Stages. THAT IS IT. How hard is it to grasp? Really! Sakurai fails.
Not everyone is like you dumbarse. The rest is simply too easy to beat. The names? LAWLIOS! Have you seen ANY name for ANY creature? Look back far enough and it's simply a few words but in a different language. Who said it HAD to be Nintendo bad guys. It's a story mode, with a main enemy who has his own enemies? Who said it HAD to be Nintendo enemies only? Really, do you know how hard it would be to fight a Kremlin, Moblins, Space Pirates which come in groups of ten or more, You ALREADY FIGHT POKEMON ******, Tiny little monsters from Pikmin? Master Hand is good enough. Did you want another crap Adventure Mode with no plot? Roster of 50? HA! It was ONLY famous chars. Did you want people like Megaman, Birdo, CLONES, MINOR characters (Mewtwo excluded because he owned. But Lucario is kinda like him.) and so on? I REALLY hope Sakurai is on the next project, because he rejects every idea that would make MORE people angry. EVERY idea he will EVER come back will face critisism. I must repeat, NOT EVERYONE IS LIKE YOU. If you don't like this, GO PLAY TEKKEN OR STREET FIGHTER, and GTFO off of the Brawl sub-forum. How hard is it to grasp? Really! You fail.

Shackel11

Smash Cadet

EDIT: Sorry, loadin time sucks on computer.

Fizban140

Smash Rookie
SSE blows, the story is horrible and the cut scenes are ********. It is like watching a really kiddy anime with nintendo characters...wait, it is a really kiddy anime with nintendo characters.

cr00mz

Smash Cadet
people who play games for their story are morons and "FTL" and should go spend their time on something else

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i dunno. i personally had fun with the SSE. The spacing of cut scenes and boss fights really distracted me from the glorified kirby game i was playing, but especially the cutscenes. Almost all of them were pretty entertaining (peach busting out some tea during a fox shiek fight = serious funny business), and it unlocked about all the characters in the process.

BlackFoxPariah

Smash Apprentice
I am just over 70% in and I can say I didn't completely hate it until the Great Maze part of whatever its called. This whole area has me hating this game. I just don't to do it to have the characters. I'd just play multiplayer, but when I am playing to only get vs. matches, its to much of a chore. So I am trudging along through SSE. I thought it'd be amazingly fun, and its the biggest dissapointment. IMO of course.

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
It's fun. A little fustrating on higher dificulty, but a fine side scroller. I mean what more to expect. They could of done more nintendo enemies, but it's fine as is. Like others said, just treat as a bonus and good cut scenes.

Union Carbine

Smash Rookie
The Great Maze is the mind-killer. It really sapped my will to play. I didn't want to explore, I didn't want to fight, I just wanted it to be over as soon as possible.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
play it with a friend on very hard.....

HILARIOUSLY FUN.

trust me.

single?

not so much...but its a fun alternative if your sick of owning of the same Lv9 Wario over and over again...

Bosses are super fun both ways.

EDIT: cr00mz....would you rather read a story? or experience it?

gnosis

Smash Lord
I'm having a lot of fun playing it co-op... I'd imagine alone I'd be bored to tears though.

Does that mean my friend and I -make- it fun?

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Anyone who isn't playing SSE in CoOp phails. ;)

No offense, but I can't imagine having fun any other way.

'Fro

Smash Lord
It's not that bad alone.... I played it both ways and I enjoyed it very much. The Fire Emblem level is definitely my favourite for all the epic music, as well as it being the part where Ike joins. SSE helped me get a feel for more characters since it forced me to use some of them. I thought it was a very good addition to Smash. MILES ahead of the lame 15-minute "Adventure Mode" of Melee.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Never another Smash Bros game? Don't make me laugh! Super Smash Bros is Nintendo's biggest cash cow. If it were a great game that didn't sell INCREDIBLY than sure I could see it as a possibility. No, Smash Bros will only end as soon as it stops making money, which is clearly not in the foreseeable future. Smash Bros 4 is as inevitable as Pirates of the Caribbean 4.
I was referring to the story mode. That might not happen again since no one really likes it.

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
I beat it once, and then redid certain things to finish unlocking characters. I can't see myself ever playing it again except to unlock trophies/CDs/etc. It just wasn't that fun, especially the absolute grindfest that the last level was.

cr00mz

Smash Cadet
play it with a friend on very hard.....

HILARIOUSLY FUN.

trust me.

single?

not so much...but its a fun alternative if your sick of owning of the same Lv9 Wario over and over again...

Bosses are super fun both ways.

EDIT: cr00mz....would you rather read a story? or experience it?
seeing everyone whine and complain about this story mode/adventure part of the game bothers me, the way i see it, it was supposed to be a similar to the old 2d platformers/action titles, like some other poster mentioned contra, super turrican or whatever (there are like millions of those games) yet it seems people here was expecting a groundbreaking epic story, like a "Lawrence of Arabia" of games

rabbet

Smash Cadet
im having quite a bit of fun with, but i have ocd so yeah........

ne1 beat it 100% yet?

sgt. fuzz

Smash Cadet
Considering it was probably the reason for the delay and it took away precious developing time that could have been used for more characters... it was a waste. Also, it takes a HUGE amount of space on the disc and MUST take advantage of dual layer technology that is the reason for failure on certain wiis. Miserable failure. Great Cutscenes.

Top Bottom