• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Subspace Emissary.... am I supposed to be having fun?

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
What did you guys expect? Zelda? Metal Gear?

This game is about multiplayer fightingm there is only so much you can do to expand on that.

The cutscenes and the boss Cameos made it totally worth it.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Guys, SSE didn't take away any time for more characters. The full roster was decided in 2005-2006 and Sonic wasn't added until a year later after that.

watomsk

Smash Cadet
I'm actually having a lot of fun playing it, but is probably because I love Kirby games, and this is pretty **** close to become a Kirby game.

Anyways, I really like it...

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually having a lot of fun playing it, but is probably because I love Kirby games, and this is pretty **** close to become a Kirby game.

Anyways, I really like it...
Been saying this forever: SSE = Kirby. That's fine if you like Kirby games, but what about the majority of the gamer population who have their own favorite series? SSE could have been a lot more equitable in its representation than what we got--the fact that Kirby was the one series that's hogging the spotlight doesn't bode well for Sakurai's ratings.

andytw710

Smash Cadet
It has gotten better as it has gone along (besides the awful Lucas/Pokemon Trainer side plot in the temple which I had no idea what was going on).

I wonder though if I saved Peach instead of Zelda at the beginning would Peach have been turned into a trophy by Bowser and I would have been either Yoshi or Link fighting Mario and Kirby?

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
It has gotten better as it has gone along (besides the awful Lucas/Pokemon Trainer side plot in the temple which I had no idea what was going on).

I wonder though if I saved Peach instead of Zelda at the beginning would Peach have been turned into a trophy by Bowser and I would have been either Yoshi or Link fighting Mario and Kirby?
That is an interesting thought. Has anyone bothered to save Peach at the beginning? I have yet to see cutscenes of Peach and Kirby.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Lol yeah, what do you expect from SSE. I can't think of anything they can do with this.. except maybe.. a DBZ Budokai-esque thing where you would go through the story and do 1v1s, etc. Kinda like classic mode except with a bit extra.

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
Subspace is eh...
but the Maze Level in the final level, OMG I DON'T NEED TO REPLAY THE ABRIDGED VERSION OF SUBSPACE. Also, WTH were they thinking when making Jiggs so **** hard to unlock...

M.K

Level 55
Repetitive, cutscene were fun. R.O.B almost brought me to tears, that was real sad, I was pretty beat up on the inside! The maze stage was excrutiatingly tedious, and INCREDIBLY time-consuming. Must've taken me 3 hours.
Final Boss...sort of hard, sort of not. Lucario's Double Team could **** his attacks. GALLEOM WAS WEIRD.

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
It sucked. I expected...well, not much really. It's just playing it was a general confirmation of how terrible I knew it would be. Everybody I knew played it only to unlock stuff, and we haven't touched it since. Heck, we don't even talk about it unless it's to make fun of it's nonsensical story.

What a waste of developing time.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Subspace is eh...
but the Maze Level in the final level, OMG I DON'T NEED TO REPLAY THE ABRIDGED VERSION OF SUBSPACE. Also, WTH were they thinking when making Jiggs so **** hard to unlock...
That level wasn't an abridged subspace. It wasn't funny at all.

RedKnight

Smash Ace
I will repeat my earlier statements....I FRICKIN LOVE IT

Im not simple minded, im not lacking in any video game knowledge at all, i just...enjoy it...I espedially liked the levels earlier on with MK Ike and Marth

Fizban140

Smash Rookie
people who play games for their story are morons and "FTL" and should go spend their time on something else
You are a moron, a good story makes a game so much better. It makes a bad game playable and an average game amazing.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'll probably make a thread about this later on but I'll ask it now anyways, how would you guys improve the SSE? These are the most basic things I'd do:

1. Add more Nintendo enemies and bosses.

2. Give it a better story. (If they mash all the Disney worlds together in the Kingdom Hearts games and give it a decent story, they can do it for Smash Bros.)

3. Online co-op.

4. Combine more elements from other Nintendo games. (As we all know, most of the elements are similar to the Kirby games with some elements from Mario, DK, Zelda, and Metroid.)

Seriously, I'm going to go through the SSE maybe once (twice if you have to unlock something) and I'm mainly doing it for the cutscenes and unlocking the Boss Mode. I already plan to unlock all the characters and stages via alternative methods simply because the SSE makes it 'insult your intelligence' easy.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'll probably make a thread about this later on but I'll ask it now anyways, how would you guys improve the SSE? These are the most basic things I'd do:

1. Add more Nintendo enemies and bosses.

2. Give it a better story. (If they mash all the Disney worlds together in the Kingdom Hearts games and give it a decent story, they can do it for Smash Bros.)

3. Online co-op.

4. Combine more elements from other Nintendo games. (As we all know, most of the elements are similar to the Kirby games with some elements from Mario, DK, Zelda, and Metroid.)

Seriously, I'm going to go through the SSE maybe once (twice if you have to unlock something) and I'm mainly doing it for the cutscenes and unlocking the Boss Mode. I already plan to unlock all the characters and stages via alternative methods simply because the SSE makes it 'insult your intelligence' easy.
I would add canon material to the story or base some of the story on canon material. For example, Lucas' subplot involves Claus and this time Claus ends up alive.

ObeseNightmare

Smash Cadet
I would like to start out saying that I LOVE Brawl's multiplayer. I love the pace that is similar to 64 and the new characters such as Pit. On to the point, does anyone else here think that the Single Player adventure mode is repetitive and boring? Honestly, I have spent 3 hours working on this thing and it's just the same thing over and over again. Run to the right, kill guy, kill group of guys in locked arena, run to the right some more, kill minions. Sure there are different types of minions, but you see just about each one thirty times a level. I would rate Brawl's multiplayer 9.5 ( would be ten if the wifi wasn't poorly done) and Brawl's singleplayer 5/10. Anyone else agree?
I'm confused as to why Brawl even has a single player, even with co op, it's not that fun. The real fun is just main brawl.

Charzonsos

Smash Cadet
I liked it, but for some reason Ridley (not Meta-Ridley) seemed like a Master Hand clone. His attacks just screamed that to me. I most likely will get 100% and I may replay it on hard, but it was fun.

Nezuko

Future Gadget Laboratory
Sub Space could've been a bit shorter - or just simply visited more "realms" of the Smash World, rather than just stucking in the generic "smash world" of trees, desert, etc.

The last mission of the Great Maze was ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. It feels like it was honestly, thrown in as a way to make it seem longer. It doesn't even make sense. The nintendo characters are saved by Luigi/Ness/Dedede from trophy'dom, and ...GO ON A SCAVENGER HUNT! OH, OK!

Cut scenes were great, having a reason / time to play as all the new characters was great, my screen being invaded by obnoxious enemies that are the exact same from mission 1 to mission 30 9 hours later... mmm not so much.

The story was pretty lame. It didn't even make much sense, or explain a single thing. Alright so the Subspace Army is attacking the smash world. For some reason, everyone can be turned into a trophy by a gun that shoots black arrows, and brought back from trophy'dom by being touched gently.
All the villains are in line with the Subspace army, for whatever reason/gain. Then they slowly are double crossed, and start to join the "good" team.

Where's the epic storyline? Where's the dramatic battles that make you actually care? Where's the epic death of ____ character? (Imagine Mario vs Ganondorf after Luigi had a sword stabbed through his gut in a cutscene previous.. Of course, it'd a be meaningless death, resurrected at the end or something!) ?
One thing that was really awesome was the first Ridley fight - how Ridley totally messed up Samus previous to the fight - pretty awesome. The boss fights were pretty cool, but seemed out of place/ not really explained

Kind of disappointed, but it is what it is - SUPER MEGA ACTION ^__________^ xtremeeee

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The story was pretty lame. It didn't even make much sense, or explain a single thing. Alright so the Subspace Army is attacking the smash world. For some reason, everyone can be turned into a trophy by a gun that shoots black arrows, and brought back from trophy'dom by being touched gently.
All the villains are in line with the Subspace army, for whatever reason/gain. Then they slowly are double crossed, and start to join the "good" team.

Where's the epic storyline? Where's the dramatic battles that make you actually care? Where's the epic death of ____ character? (Imagine Mario vs Ganondorf after Luigi had a sword stabbed through his gut in a cutscene previous.. Of course, it'd a be meaningless death, resurrected at the end or something!) ?
One thing that was really awesome was the first Ridley fight - how Ridley totally messed up Samus previous to the fight - pretty awesome. The boss fights were pretty cool, but seemed out of place/ not really explained

Kind of disappointed, but it is what it is - SUPER MEGA ACTION ^__________^ xtremeeee
I agree that the storyline doesn't make any sense, but I think the trophy things was supposed to be known before hand.

As for the epic storyline, I agree with you that it wasn't all that epic. The only good parts were R.O.B.'s and Lucas' subplots. The dramatic battles were lacking as well. As for epic deaths, the only ones that come to mind are DK's and Ness' even then, they weren't exactly moving for the characters.

As for the Ridley fight, the cutscene was perfect in every way possible.

Personally, I think a SSB storyline should be left in the realm of fanfiction.

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
Which Kirby game is this like? Kirby Super Star, Kirby 64, and so many other Kirby games are so much better than SSE. Those games were interesting thanks to great enemy variation and lots of interesting powers that you can switch between (and in 64, combine). SSE is just a boring grind fest.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
I loved this. By far my favourite addition.

I'm a huge Kirby fan and a huge smash fan so I knew I'd like it from the start.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
play it on co-op it makes it ten times funnier on 1 player...not so much more of a burrden, it is really fun facing..

*SPOILERS* tabuu with 2 people and your yelling at each other to play better but when you win it feels great.

on a side note: i realise R.O.B and other people where being controlled? to fihgt against mario and them but what happened to master hand and who is tabuu? plus what is Game and Watch doing in SSE other then piloting the ship?

SomeRandomGuy

Smash Journeyman
*SPOILERS*

Game and Watch was being controlled after you free him he...uhhh... helps?
Master Hand got owned, he died. I think
Tabuu is a person made for this game, as far as i know he isn't from anything. He is the leader of the SSE

anyways, i like SSE, just got a little repetitive. I hate that maze level though.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I enjoyed it for what it was... there were still a few points where I was caught of guard by something happening.

Top Bottom