• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Subspace Emissary.... am I supposed to be having fun?

sgt. fuzz

Smash Cadet
I would like to start out saying that I LOVE Brawl's multiplayer. I love the pace that is similar to 64 and the new characters such as Pit. On to the point, does anyone else here think that the Single Player adventure mode is repetitive and boring? Honestly, I have spent 3 hours working on this thing and it's just the same thing over and over again. Run to the right, kill guy, kill group of guys in locked arena, run to the right some more, kill minions. Sure there are different types of minions, but you see just about each one thirty times a level. I would rate Brawl's multiplayer 9.5 ( would be ten if the wifi wasn't poorly done) and Brawl's singleplayer 5/10. Anyone else agree?

Cepheus

Smash Cadet
yeah just consider the SSE a bonus more or less.

Multiplayer is the real value =D

Liquidus

Smash Rookie
SSE, in my opinion, is just there to get all the characters and a few other things and then you never touch it again. Like Melee's Adventure mode only not as bad.

Frames

DI
Yea i feel SSE is a bit repetitive as well. Also, considering the fact that you can get all the characters without even playing it is even less of a desire to play SSE. I'm doing it just so I can say I beat it, and then i'm done.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
It has such a story with no words at all :3

Better than the Classic mode I suppose.

-Onyx

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Cut scenes are great, but really aren't enough to hide the fact that the plot is kind of lame. Especially toward the end. I've been trying to tell people this for ages--hours of the same substandard side-scrolling in between awesome cutscenes. Take it as you like, but my opinion is that despite as much hype SSE received, how much effort Sakurai supposedly put into it, and how much space it takes up on the disc, I think it's a flop that will barely last the next month before people stop playing it.

andytw710

Smash Cadet
Yea SSE sucks besides the cutscenes, really just feel like the Zelda level in Melee's adventure mode...except sometimes it sucks a lot worse. Cutscenes are gorgeous though. Love it when a new character pops up.

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
Having just beat it, I kind of liked it. I will agree that it was a little repetitive at times, and the ending maze level was borderline tortuous. Still, I somewhat miss the old-style kirby games, so it was a nice splash of nostalgia for me.

Way, waaaay better than the 1p modes for melee and smash64.

XtremeCJ

Smash Apprentice
What do you expect in the single player mode of a fighting game? Puzzle quests? F-Zero-Races? Or an ego-shooter? :D
I completed SSE and only have around 90%. Even if I have to do levels again, I will find all the stuff to make it 100%. I don't think it can really get boring, but that's just my 2 cents.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
SSE is good for the game that it is in, fighter don;t really have deep story modes

Toonist

Smash Rookie
I liked the plot, honestly. The whole story is awesome, because of all the crossovers, and I loved the mini-story with Lucas and Pokemon Trainer.

That said, Sonic's part seemed a little too small, though the finger wagging was a nice touch.

As for the gameplay, the allure of the boss battles and cut scenes kept me going through all the hack-n-slash.

(Oh, yeah, and the final boss is awesome, and WAY powerful)

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
I liked the plot, honestly. The whole story is awesome, because of all the crossovers, and I loved the mini-story with Lucas and Pokemon Trainer.

That said, Sonic's part seemed a little too small, though the finger wagging was a nice touch.

As for the gameplay, the allure of the boss battles and cut scenes kept me going through all the hack-n-slash.

(Oh, yeah, and the final boss is awesome, and WAY powerful)
Sonic was added at the very last moment, so yeah.

Burumage

Smash Cadet
I like SSE. Its fun to play with a friend at least. I could understand it might get repetetive alone though.

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
SSE's pretty mediocre, but I wouldn't call it bad. The thing with it is that it's basically a rip off of Kirby Superstar's many two player co-op modes that were fun back in 1993.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I would like to start out saying that I LOVE Brawl's multiplayer. I love the pace that is similar to 64 and the new characters such as Pit. On to the point, does anyone else here think that the Single Player adventure mode is repetitive and boring? Honestly, I have spent 3 hours working on this thing and it's just the same thing over and over again. Run to the right, kill guy, kill group of guys in locked arena, run to the right some more, kill minions. Sure there are different types of minions, but you see just about each one thirty times a level. I would rate Brawl's multiplayer 9.5 ( would be ten if the wifi wasn't poorly done) and Brawl's singleplayer 5/10. Anyone else agree?
Did you ever play any games for the NES?

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
I'm really kind of divided on the SSE thing.

This is actually one of the few times I think I'll concede to a point by Cassamasina-- It seems a bit shallow.

That's not to say it CAN'T be a fun diversion, but mechanics wise the platforming is a little disjointed. I've only played it co op really-- so far at least. It doesn't stand out to us.

The game would really benefit from a Virtua Fighter like quest mode, but then again I could see how that could draw even MORE conflicting opinions. It's not terrible, it's good for what it is... a strong extra diversion. And yes, it technically could be it's own game... but it wouldn't be nearly as good as it's multiplayer counter part.

Necrochild313

Smash Apprentice
SSE would be nice if I didn't feel like it was "the" way to get unlockables. I just played it for four hours and I honestly am sick to death of it. I do like it, but definitely not for long sittings.

I am now spamming "Start" on special brawl flower on head stamina matches (me at 150, opponent on 1) to get the remaining characters.

Spellman

Smash Ace
The SSE's pretty good. It's a action platformer with Smash. Bros. controls implemented.

The cutscenes are pretty nice looking graphically. I don't feel hugely connected with the story in any way, but it's still nice to see our fighters at their best, maybe doing a little bit more then kicking the crap out of each other.

Thing is, this is a long friggin' action game. That's what I like about it the most. Not too much filler so far, just plain ol' beat and shoot 'em up. And that's good! Games like Battletoads and Contra are other fine examples of pure action games that rival no other if you're into them.

The difficulty settings are even there if you want to have a truly "Battletoads 3" experience. Aw yeah.

Nothing can beat the multiplayer experience of beating up your friends, almost like anything really (it's not as much fun to play games alone these days), but the Subspace definitely has it's own little thing going on that I gotta give credit to.

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
I can forgive the repetitiveness, because the cut scenes are absolutely amazing.
truth.

i finished it like 7 or 8 hours ago. took me 8 hours total to beat. for the first 5 or 6 hours, i was playing as fast as i could, just because i wanted to see the next cut scene. then i got to...well, something, and at that point it felt a lot like metroid to me, which made me really happy, cause i love the metroid games.

Mr. Ocax

Smash Journeyman
I certainly hope that you're not supposed to be having fun. SSE if ****ing TERRIBLE. It is repetitive, boring, and even has an incredibly stupid storyline. Oh wow, go around and kill a bunch of horribly designed and even worse named enemies. Armight! Arm and Might! Feyesh! Fish and Eye! Greap! Grim and Reap! Roturret! Rotate and Turret! Shellpod! Shell and Pod! Are you serious? REALLY? Hey! At least you get to fight a huge alliance of beloved villains! Oh? Just Bowser and Ganondorf? They really had to make WARIO evil because they failed to add any villains. Why should I have to fight a bunch of stupid pointless enemies when I could be fighting enemies from Nintendo games?! Laziness?! I think so! Oh wow you get to fight goombas, koopas, and hammer bros! Where are the Kremlings, Moblins, Space Pirates, Pokemon Clones, Pikmin Monsters, Kirby Bad guys, Mother bad guys, Robotnik Robots etc. He COULD have made this game incredibly epic had he done away with the whole subspace emmissary and just had villains working together in some manner with master hand and crazy hand. I don't even want to think how many characters we would have if Sakurai's first priority wasn't the fail that IS the SSE. All of the time spent designing, creating, and tweaking the enemies, stages, and cutscenes. We probably could have had a roster of at least 50. I REALLY hope Sakurai does not work on the next Smash Bros and that the next head of the project realizes what fans really want. Tons of Characters and Stages. THAT IS IT. How hard is it to grasp? Really! Sakurai fails.

Doomgaze

Smash Apprentice
Realize that SSE is one of the things that took a lot of time to develop. Frankly it's not that good. It would have been completely pointless if it werent for the cutscenes.

They should have spent this time tweaking and balancing multiplayer instead (like the previous game).

Spellman

Smash Ace
...Oh wow you get to fight goombas, koopas, and hammer bros! Where are the Kremlings, Moblins, Space Pirates, Pokemon Clones, Pikmin Monsters, Kirby Bad guys, Mother bad guys, Robotnik Robots etc.
You may be onto something...
We probably could have had a roster of at least 50. I REALLY hope Sakurai does not work on the next Smash Bros and that the next head of the project realizes what fans really want. Tons of Characters and Stages. THAT IS IT. How hard is it to grasp? Really! Sakurai fails.
That's a little much, though.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't even want to think how many characters we would have if Sakurai's first priority wasn't the fail that IS the SSE. All of the time spent designing, creating, and tweaking the enemies, stages, and cutscenes. We probably could have had a roster of at least 50. I REALLY hope Sakurai does not work on the next Smash Bros and that the next head of the project realizes what fans really want. Tons of Characters and Stages. THAT IS IT. How hard is it to grasp? Really! Sakurai fails.
Well, there's the possibility that it might never happen again.

Mr. Ocax

Smash Journeyman
Well, there's the possibility that it might never happen again.
Never another Smash Bros game? Don't make me laugh! Super Smash Bros is Nintendo's biggest cash cow. If it were a great game that didn't sell INCREDIBLY than sure I could see it as a possibility. No, Smash Bros will only end as soon as it stops making money, which is clearly not in the foreseeable future. Smash Bros 4 is as inevitable as Pirates of the Caribbean 4.

Kyle29

Smash Apprentice
well this mode really makes me scratch my head. I cannot figure out why thy decided not to put characters from there franchises in as enimes, instead of these wired boring subspace characters(which are indeed repeatitive. Also pretty much ALL there old games are side scroller. If you don't beleive me look at the masterpieces. So why not adopt the gameplay from each of those games. SSE is definatly the weakest point of brawl, but the multiplayer makes up for it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I agree with what Mr. Ocax says but I wouldn't say that it completely fails. Like a lot of the characters in Brawl's roster, it had a lot of squandered potential. Really, the cutscenes are goregous and I love how they use the basic mechanics from a ton of different Nintendo games but, like Mr. Ocax said, there's so much more they could have done. Like IGN said, the plot is laughably random especially towards the end and they could have implemented a lot more Nintendo enemies and villians. Seriously, I was hoping for more then Ridley, Petey, Pokey, and Raquaaza as the only Nintendo bosses. I was genuinely wanted to see every major franchise to have at least one boss rep or at least minor enemey representation but that didn't happen... What's sad about this is that this is supposedly the mode that Sakurai spent the most time on while he admited at GDC that the stages and roster were among the first things they got out of the way. The concept in itself is great but, like I said, a lot of squandered potential.

TimelessWind88

Smash Rookie
I like SSE for what it is, though I am simply taking it at face value. Given the premise of the SSB series, SSE is entertaining to play through at least once if only for the great cutscenes. How can you make a good plot for a fighting game with 30+ characters, the most of which are from completely different universes? Certainly it was never meant to be the meat and potatoes of this game. I personally have always liked the idea that all the characters in SSB are fighters in a tournament, as well as the fact that they could simply be toys/trophies interacting in someone's imagination.

The mechanics of a fighting game like SSB don't really translate all too well to the platform game genre, but there are still ways to enjoy SSE. The cutscenes are really great and the music is pretty amiable and nostalgic. I, for one, squealed the first time I heard the remix of Stickerbrush Symphony from DKC2.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
I think the only disappointing thing about the plot is that it overshadows what I think SSE did right: Actually having a nice variety of enemies and decent level design, as well as difficulty modes for people that prefer challenging games. While it is inevitable that fighting mechanics won't translate well to a platformer, they did a good enough job to make a decent game out of it.

Sychu

Smash Apprentice
I love the subspace emissary, its probably because i started it out on very hard/co-op instead of easy or normal like some of you guys. The levels certanly don't seem the same with me because each level has its own strategy when you play on that difficulty especially co-op. If you choose easy or normal thats what you'll get a repetitive cakewalk, because all you gotta do is press buttons.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
It should be better than Melee's adventure mode, though. Brawl is firstly a multiplayergame, so I don't expect much from the SSE.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It should be better than Melee's adventure mode, though. Brawl is firstly a multiplayergame, so I don't expect much from the SSE.
Except for the fact that Sakurai openly admitted that was the mode he devoted most of his time and energy towards. With that being said, I definately expected more. Like I said in a previous post, the SSE is by no means bad but it doesn't reflect the amount of work that went into it outside of the cutscenes.

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
SSE was okay. The last level was a copout though. However, the fact that I can replay it using Sonic is enough for me. I can't build up speed like I can in Chemical Plant Zone, but I can get going fast.

PeachFan

Smash Cadet
NNID
DelphinusV
3DS FC
2595-0710-4989
Yeah, I must admit that I'm not that impressed. Maybe it will be more fun co-op, guess I'll find out soon enough.

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
Fatmanonice umm.. Geno nore megaman made it in brawl. sorry to break it to you.

SSE is fine with me. i like it but i dont love it.

Co-op is fun tho

Reminds me of the arcade old xmen game.

tanfastic

Smash Apprentice
I liked SSE for three reasons:
1 Cutscenes
2 Bosses
3 Unlocked every character easily

Top Bottom