• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Submit your entry for the Top 8 Custom Sets of [Sonic]

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
From what I can tell, there only really seems to be a consensus for the combinations of 1, 1/2/3, 1, 1, and since you already have 1111 as a set to begin with, that gives you an amazing grand total of... 2 sets. Let me see if I can help sift through the conversation to determine the sets you'd like to see.

Immediately, I can subscribe to the notion that 1313 should be added as a set, just based on KID over here informing us that a good deal of competitive Sonics plan on using it... that moves us up to 3 sets.

Next, we run into the issue of how to allocate the rest of Sonic's Custom Specials into your 7 remaining sets. He seems to have a lot of niche sets in 2XXX, 3XXX, XX2X, XX3X, and XXX3, and it's quite difficult to decide which of these niche specials are more important than the others. I can imagine that the other Homing Attacks should be represented a good deal, as they seem to have the largest amount of support compared to the other Springs and Grav Charge, so I guess that would be a good place to start.

The sets that everyone seems to agree on so far are 1211, 1311, 1313. See if you can't help add to this.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
i mean i could see stomp being a really good custom to run if your facing characters like fox or luigi. Stomp beats out missile and cyclone and trades with luigi's up, and we can safely meteor smash fox's recovery without the worry of mispacing our dair.

I usually run 2331 or 1331. Burning spin dash jump > uair > spring headbutt > fair/bair guarantees us at least 40-48% at low % not to mention springing headbutt although it decreases our vertical height gives us tool to recover without worrying too much about people trying to stage spike us. The move also on stages like battlefield, smashville and town and city clips through the stage if we spring along the slope allowing us to hit opponents who are standing too close to the ledge.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I think the first time i ever landed stomp was against a luigi.

Its probablly good against mac too since the damage isnt nearly as important as stage positioning against him and homing attack in most neutral situations will lose to his up smash.

You like spring headbutt for the early percent combos but i stick with regular spring because spindash spring up air is a legit kill combo around 110

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Dawg. How many of us were able to pull off side b hop, to footstool to spring down air jab locks on people inntournament?
Well yeah, it's not a matter of if you are able to but how often it's actually done and how reliable of an option it is in most match-ups, situations, etc. I barely ever saw that jablock set-up actually used, except maybe against R.O.B.
And your really trying to act like side b footstool mash b is some how too hard and unreliable to do now? Really? Thats all you have to do to get the stomp forced get up
Yes. I am.

Again, the debate is not how difficult are the inputs...

My question is this: how amazing is that one application to outweigh the versatility of other homing attack options? Yeah, sure, stomp is cool for like a hot second when you get that jab lock (jab locks are still technically nerfed from Brawl) but what other utility is being sacrificed in the process now that you're stuck with stomp in a non-jab lock scenario? Not that HA is a godlike move, but this is what I want answered. Is this forced get-up putting Sonic in an extremely advantageous situation or are we just resetting neutral? How long does it take Sonic to get to the ground after he uses stomp for you to even follow it up? etc, etc.

I'm actually asking. From all the custom play I've seen from Sonics I've seen very little applied from what's said on these boards.
Also, regarding down 3, if the opponent whiffs an attack the windbox brings them toward sonic meaning he has to cover slightly less ground in order to punish them whichmakes punishes a little bit easier and more consistent.
I agree with this.

Like I said, after implementing Gravitational Spin Charge, there's really no sacrifice being made in using it and it's a subtle enough difference that doesn't drastically alter playstyles but adds some more versatility to Spin Charge.
You like spring headbutt for the early percent combos but i stick with regular spring because spindash spring up air is a legit kill combo around 110
I currently feel this way too. I don't see much need for Spring Headbutt when we have... Uair... And then lose Spring > Uair at high percents when I want it most.

Also, to answer Numbers, I'm cool with 1313 but I'd also like to see something as simple as 1113.

:093:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
What if we took this a step further, and simply denoted Sonic's essential sets to be 1, 1/2/3, 1, 1/3?

You'd have a total 5 sets of(organized by priority):
1313 1311 1213 1211 1113 (1111)

The remaining specials, Neutral 2 and 3, as well as Up 2 and 3, could be relegated to niche sets like so:

2113 - A standard Stomp set. Default SideB is chosen for the footstool lock tech and default Spring is chosen so you can go as deep as possible offstage with Stomp as well.
2213 - Basically the same set as above, but now with Hammer Spin Dash to allow you to go even deeper with Stomp and other various edgeguard attempts and still make the recovery.
3213 - This is basically a super recovery set, allowing Sonic to go inhumanly deep for edgeguards, and still make it back with an incredibly large amount of room to spare.
1223 - It's somewhat hard to decide on a set for Double Spring, but I would assume you would at least want the vertical moving Hammer Spin Dash to help supplement the now more horizontal inclined recovery.
1331 - I would recommend this kind of set for Springing Headbutt. This set was discussed a little before, but I would assume this would be a nice set to run if you want to get big damage off Sonic's successful approaches(Spin Charge is chosen here since it seems to get a bit more damage than Grav Charge). My guess is that it would be for matchups and players who are confident in their ability to land kill moves.

Of course, for any of these sets, you can replace Grav Charge with Spin Charge and vice versa, that's up to you guys. However, I would say this would be a very solid assortment of niche sets to help round out Sonic's lineup. If you took all of these together, you would get a list like so:

1313 1311 1213 1211 1113 2113 2213 3213 1223 1331

How does that sound?

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
That all sounds pretty solid to me.

The only one I have a hard time justifying is anything involving Double Spring, but I suppose there might be people who want to use it…

:093:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Based on my research, all down bs do the exact same damage

Heres my issue with double spring, when using it to get away from landing traps, whether the spring hits or not, does it give sonic enough horizontal movement ability to actually get away from people and reset the situation to neutral?

YoYoFantaFanta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoyofantafanta
3DS FC
4914-3889-8963
I always use 1111 for Sonic but there are customs I don't mind with Sonic. I like Surprise Attack because it's quicker and goes straight to your opponent like in Project M, but I think normal Homing Attack is better. I hate Stomp because it's a totally different move that lacks the versatility of the normal Homing Attack and I can't ever hit with it. I actually really hate Hammer Spin Dash, since you can't turn around with it and I never seem to be able to space well with it (although with Spin Charge, I guess you have an option for turning around a spin dash, but still). Burning Spin Dash is okay, I like the added power and fire, but I don't like the short hops. Double Spring is awful, each spring goes half height, and it doesn't add much that normal Spring has except for another spring to drop from above. Springing Headbutt could be a cool attack, but it's worse as a recovery and I think aerials come out of it slower so I'm not sure how viable it is since you can attack enemies above you with a homing attack, uair, utilt, u smash, etc. Auto Spin Charge doesn't have much of a difference, so I don't see why people don't include it in these sets. Gravitational Charge requires faster button mashing which is annoying and a windbox that doesn't help because enemies are going to shield when they get pulled in and then they get pushed behind you so you can't hit them.

So the customs I really like are Surprise Attack, Springing Headbutt, and Auto Spin Charge.

Other than 1111, I'd use

I'm not the most competitive player, but I do play Sonic a lot and I have messed with his customs a little. These are just my opinions

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
2 - Stomp
2 - Hammer Spin Dash
3 - Springing Headbutt
1 - Spin Charge

That's my personal favorite ;)

YoYoFantaFanta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoyofantafanta
3DS FC
4914-3889-8963
I actually change my mind. The only customs worth it are Hammer Spin Dash. The Spin Charges aren't too bad but add very little.

Vaughngief

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3265-5520-0241
I recently started using the set 2211.

Hammer Spin Dash adds a lot of Sonic's mix up game (though I'm still pretty mediocre with it). I'm hesitant to take off Stomp Homing Attack though, because it's range is lacking and doesn't have too much knock back. It's very situational and it's made me realize I use the basic homing attack more often than you'd think.

Top Bottom