• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Subconscious

Killress

Smash Ace
Do any of you subconsciously do mindgames/read your opponents. I think that would be very interesting/useful in a match.

Just curious
-Killress

Tangy

Smash Apprentice
A lot of people I play wait on the edge of the stage whenever I lose a stock. When I come back and get near them, they always try to roll away to the other side, so I just hit them with an F-smash. It's not so much "reading your opponent" but just reacting to what they do...

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
You can't react subconsciously to movements your opponents make. That's not possible. Everything that seems like you can't control is either out of habit or muscle memory, or you're consciously reading your opponent. I guess you could call that subconscious memory or something. That's probably what the definition of subconscious is...nvm. But, yes, I'll SHdair as Olimar without really thinking about it somtimes, b/c I was used to Wario for some time. It still works. ^___^

Linkguy

Smash Cadet
Everyone uses their subconcious mind more then their concious one, both in life and in brawl. Just think about it, when your versing someone, do you seriously think everything through throughout the fight, or is it more impulse and reaction. If its impulse and reaction then thats your subconcious at work.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
A lot of people I play wait on the edge of the stage whenever I lose a stock. When I come back and get near them, they always try to roll away to the other side, so I just hit them with an F-smash. It's not so much "reading your opponent" but just reacting to what they do...
Yeah EVERYONE does that.
Or lets say if I trip someone with TL's Nair, then ALWAYS roll towards me.
So now, I just charge Dsmash after hitting someone with Nair.

Killress

Smash Ace
Everyone uses their subconcious mind more then their concious one, both in life and in brawl. Just think about it, when your versing someone, do you seriously think everything through throughout the fight, or is it more impulse and reaction. If its impulse and reaction then thats your subconcious at work.
Agreed.

I was just wondering if people could pay attention to something completely different in the gameplay, and still be able to accurately read their mindgames.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
Read my response in your other thread. You know, the one that kind of asked the same question.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
I think you're confusing subconscious with playing mindlessly (as in you don't think while playing)....Which I do a lot. Yeah I play mindgames subconsciously then.

Top Bottom