• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Subcon's Egg slinger: Birdo support

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I kind of wish it was somehow possible to make Birdo a Yoshi Echo

I think that's the only way Birdo could make it

Last edited:

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
Birdo doesn't get enough love. I think she would make a wonderful Assist Trophy.
I agree that Birdo doesn't get enough love, hopefully she'd be more popular when she finally gets into Mario Tennis Aces in Fall 2018

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know what I'd really like?

Some kind of remake of Super Mario 2

Like a New Super Mario Bros taking place in Subcon or something

Or even something on a grander scale like Super Mario 3D World

...Mario 2 theme in Mario Maker Switch?

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
You know what I'd really like?

Some kind of remake of Super Mario 2

Like a New Super Mario Bros taking place in Subcon or something

Or even something on a grander scale like Super Mario 3D World

...Mario 2 theme in Mario Maker Switch?
I still don't really get why they didn't base SM3DW in Subcon anyway. The Sprixies are pretty identical to the Subcon fairies and they even had Toad be blue to mirror SMB2.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Updated OP with Supporters list. Let me know if I missed you or if you're new here and want to be added.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can see it now, Birdo's neutral B functioning like K. Rool's Blunderbuss, shooting a fireball and then sucking back in, and having a different animation on up-special, maybe with less recovery than Yoshi to balance out the extra projectiles.

Anop

Smash Apprentice
Add me to the Support list :D

Birdo is really overlooked nowadays and it bothers me.. She/he´s the best!

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Ooooh I didnt know this exist! I Know someone who would be the biggest support on this thread hahahahaha good luck!

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Im a huge supporter of Birdo for Smash - even if its just for the lols.

I think she can be EASILY mapped onto Yoshi, just give her proper throws and change her neutral B to an egg spit, like Bowser Jr's Cannon.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Given that clones are no longer equivalent to cooties, I think I'll go and update the arguments in the OP.

CaptainMapleSyrup

Smash Cadet
Sign me up for support! I think a Yoshi echo is the best we could hope for but they could still give it plenty of her personality. If you look at the variations between Samus and Dark Samus (standing animation, dodge style, taunts) they can give Birdo plenty of variation. She could be heavier/floatier, stronger, a little more extravagantly elegant with her movements like skipping and even some heart effects as she tends to mirror Peach but with purple broken hearts instead (regular ones would be fine).

1. Yoshi’s tongue lash during his Egg Lay B move could become a vacuum mouth inhale for her instead - she does this in a few games and even spits people out inside eggs.
  2. Her Grab can be a sucker inhale again to replace Yoshi’s tongue or she could just use her hands and either way use comically damaging kisses and other unintentionally deadly “affectionate” moves.
  3. Egg Throw could become egg spits with a stronger trajectory but I wouldn’t be hugely offended if they keep it as egg tosses, even if it does remove her most famous move spitting eggs.
  4. Oh, and I can totally see her version of Yoshi Bomb as an elegant ballet leap with a high-damaging swan dive at the end as she crashes to the ground. Kind of like the ballet jumps Wendy O. Koopa uses in the New Super Mario Bros 1 and 2 boss fights.
  5. Overall, she could just use Yoshi’s “Heavy” custom moves from SSB4 to balance out her floaty, playful animations and to provide a different playstyle to Yoshi’s lighter, speedier approach.

I guess my only concern is her appearance on the Mushroom Kingdom 2 stage could count her out to avoid doubling up representation... but I feel like her similarity in body type to Yoshi is too good an opportunity for the devs to pass it up for echo fighter material. Plus Boshi is a one-hit wonder whereas Birdo’s been in a lot of Mario games.

Last edited:

CaptainMapleSyrup

Smash Cadet
She's a far shot for now, but I'll support. If she did get in, it'd be neat to have SMRPG jokes in the event that Geno is in at the same time, since she was a boss in that game.
Well hey, if they’ve taken the time to include her as a DLC in the new Mario Tennis Aces game, then at least we know Nintendo are still thinking of her and happy to keep her in the franchise!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't think her 16-bit self will be a problem as it looks drastically different from modern Birdo so there's no worry of getting confused in the heat of battle.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
In the world of Echo fighters- sure, why not. Birdo would be fun. She actually seems plausible if she used K. Rool's canonball suck and blow mechanic.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
lol I actually have a friend who despises her, but I quite like Birdo! There's that 16-bit Birdo in the Mushroom Kingdom II stage, but hey, there are more of them like Yoshis are. Hoping for her (as well as Tingle) despite that.

Please add me to the supporter list.

The Hat Trick

Smash Rookie
I like this idea. Birdo was always my 3rd baseman in Super Sluggers, and I use her in Mario Party too. So I have some love for the character. Consider me a supporter.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
So while I believe Birdo is a far shot as of late, I created a move-set for the frilly thingamajig! Take a look!

NEUTRAL - SUCTION SNOUT: Birdo begins inhaling via her snout. Said inhalation can vacuum items, projectiles and even opponents before spitting them out.
SIDE - BIRDO ROLL: Birdo retracts into a bowed Birdo Egg and starts rolling about. One of the few moves that directly imitates Yoshi's.
UP - BIRDO MOON LIFT: Birdo hops onto a cardboard moon lift, ala her performance in Color Splash, and rises upwards. Perhaps the lift can spin around to deal additional damage?
DOWN - INFATUATE: Birdo strikes an irresistible pose. If an opponent strikes during this time, Birdo will siphon some of the opposition's health away. Love makes you do strange things.
FINAL - LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION: Birdo begins to perform a showtime dance, all the while spotlights float around the stage. Pressing the B button will make the spotlights stop in place, making explosions occur under the spotlight's shine.

As if it wasn't obvious already, consider me a supporter :)

StarCrystal20

Smash Ace
Add me! Thank you :)

Now that I got my most wanted, Daisy, Birdo is my second most wanted. She can easily work as a Yoshi Echo, by either replacing her B with an egg shot move, or just an invisible tongue for suction.

The only think that kinda worries me is that Yoshi is his own series and Birdo is not part of it. Do you think cross-series Echoes will be a thing?

I talk about her here-

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well after too long, I've updated the supporters list.

Wonder why my watch on this thread didn't work.

StarCrystal20

Smash Ace
I don't see Birdo getting in as one of the main newcomers, but I can totalyl see her being a DLC echo fighter, perhaps released along other supposed picks like Spring Man or Rex & Pyra.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
If this were to happen, I agree that her Neutral B should be an egg-spit, but I think it would be fun to have a 1/8th chance of being a fireball or something, like in SMB2. It would be like a faster moving Red hadouken, and would scrape opponents away from you.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well the final Direct is going down on Thursday. Here's where we find out if Birdo is playable or a sprite stage hazard only.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well even if she's not in, that' the "she's too minor a character" argument rrrrrright out the window.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
How do I support this. I want to.
Simple, I just add your name to the supporters list.
If you want to take it further, you can try drumming up support elsewhere or just keeping the dialogue alive here so it's not just me posting when something Birdo related happens.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And now there's hope of more fighters outside the Fighter's pass.

Birdo as an echo could help round the series out with more non-human females.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Knowing that she isn't really favored by NIntendo in recent mainstream games, She isn't the most leading choice unless Nintendo intends to introduce a brand new Mario fighter in Smash 6 or 7 after Toad is chosen.
Otherwise, Birdo's major chance is becoming Yoshi's echo. I see the matters discussed above, somehow her case is pretty like the idea of Dixie being Diddy's echo, it's debatable yet not too unlikely.

However, the problem is that Birdo hasn't made canonical appearance under a Yoshi title (just like Waluigi hasn't been to Wario titles) we'd not know if it's technically allowed to have Birdo being a Yoshi echo while keeping a Mario fighter label. It'd been much easier if she made it in Yoshi's Crafted World.

Last edited:

leppy

Smash Cadet
Add me to the list, I'd love to see her get in. I read this concept in particular and decided I'd love to have her even if it meant sacrificing Dr. Mario or the 56th FE character. Though it'd be nice if there was a way to get the announcer to say "Catherine" or "Birdetta" instead if you pick the pink one... there's already costume-dependent voice lines so I'm sure one for the announcer isn't too hard.
I wouldn't mind her sneaking her way into Smash Remix, either...
Submitted for your consideration: Catherine's theme from Wario's Woods, though I personally like this cover more.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Birdo seems to have made a bit of a comeback as of late, appearing in The Origami King in a stage show.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I support an Echo Birdo.
The only odd portion to me would be the jump.
Well... I suppose an egg throw versus a spit would be odd...since the claim is that echoes need to reuse animation.
An original move in an egg spit versus eating is of course a given.

Top Bottom