• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Struggling to find a character

Status
Not open for further replies.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
Coming from a competitive melee scene, im finding it very hard to find a character that i can call a main in smash 4. everyone i try seems to either not fit my style or i just dont enjoy playing them. is anyone else having this problem?

also, can anyone suggest a character for me to try? i like being aggressive, not campy. Thanks!

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Are you fine with custom moves?
It seems you have an inkling for swordsman, and if both are true I think you're in luck.

Marth and Lucina with dash assault are able to get through and punish just about everything (due to transcended priority) and it allows them to rush down and capitalise on defensive movements of an opponent very easily.
Meta Knight with speed drill can do much of the same, but it isn't as effective across the cast as dash assault (for example: Luma eats it for breakfast and you get wrecked, dash assault just knocks luma away and hits rosalina due to out disjointing/ranging her with that massive dash).

I think Pit/Dark Pit are also pretty capable of being aggressive swordsman, being a bit of a middle ground between Marth and Meta Knight (BELIEVE IT). Some slightly faster normals and a mildly useful projectile. Great grab game and general mobility with dashes/runs/rolls/dash attack/dash grab.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
It seems you have an inkling for swordsman, and if both are true I think you're in luck.

Marth and Lucina with dash assault are able to get through and punish just about everything (due to transcended priority) and it allows them to rush down and capitalise on defensive movements of an opponent very easily.
Meta Knight with speed drill can do much of the same, but it isn't as effective across the cast as dash assault (for example: Luma eats it for breakfast and you get wrecked, dash assault just knocks luma away and hits rosalina due to out disjointing/ranging her with that massive dash).

I think Pit/Dark Pit are also pretty capable of being aggressive swordsman, being a bit of a middle ground between Marth and Meta Knight (BELIEVE IT). Some slightly faster normals and a mildly useful projectile. Great grab game and general mobility with dashes/runs/rolls/dash attack/dash grab.
I am ok with them for sure, just havent had the will to test around with them yet because they are hard to unlock. im defiantly going to try that dash assult for lucina (she is my favorite of the cast so far) these are things that im gonna mess around with. thanks for this!

Rosco

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2208-5202-8834
I'm going to parrot Shaya in suggesting Lucina/Marth and the Pit Twins. Lucina has a solid pressure game for aggro players.

As a throw out option, Link is also a bit of an all-arounder in my opinion and can be played well in mot circumstances, but if you're pure rush-down than you might find that some of your moves just aren't useful or fun.

So yeah, though redundant, you should have fun with Lucina.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Play TripleD. He's like a swordman, but better. Hammers beat swords.

Swords, dealing slashing damage, are less effective against skeletons. You need bludgeoning weapons. Like a hammer.
Like TripleD's hammer.

Never be afraid of skellingtons ever again. Accept TripleD in your life. You won't regret it.

Alternatively, main ZSS, be a tryhard and accept my deepest hatred.

SSS

Smash Ace
Coming from a competitive melee scene, im finding it very hard to find a character that i can call a main in smash 4. everyone i try seems to either not fit my style or i just dont enjoy playing them. is anyone else having this problem?

also, can anyone suggest a character for me to try? i like being aggressive, not campy. Thanks!
So I come from mostly Melee and I'm sort of feeling the same thing right now. You basically have two options. I'm going to use Brawl as an example.

1. You can try to find a character that matches the rushdown style you like and is representative of your style with Melee. (Meta Knight).

2. You can accept that the game is slower and more defensive, and instead of trying to fight it, become one with it and become a stark parody of the game's flaws and differences from Melee. (Ice Climbers)

So for this game, approach it from those two and see how you feel. If it's the technical aspect you're missing, try an item character like Diddy Kong or something that might require more effort? Play Fox and cry every time you fail to shinespike somebody?

PandaEffect

Smash Cadet
I would suggest diddy kong.

You can be pretty aggressive using bananas and grabs followups.

If your uair is fresh, down throw to uair is a true combo on most chars at KILL percent. That's right, very similar to fox's up throw - uair combo. Even if they VI upwards you can still bait the airdodges and kill pretty easily.

Down tilt to fair is also a true combo ONLY at higher percents.

Considering banana can link to both throws and dtilts... You can be pretty creative on the offensive.

Last edited:

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
Warning Received
So I come from mostly Melee and I'm sort of feeling the same thing right now. You basically have two options. I'm going to use Brawl as an example.

1. You can try to find a character that matches the rushdown style you like and is representative of your style with Melee. (Meta Knight).

2. You can accept that the game is slower and more defensive, and instead of trying to fight it, become one with it and become a stark parody of the game's flaws and differences from Melee. (Ice Climbers)

So for this game, approach it from those two and see how you feel. If it's the technical aspect you're missing, try an item character like Diddy Kong or something that might require more effort? Play Fox and cry every time you fail to shinespike somebody?
i guess your right, maybe im just trying to hard to make it melee, when i should be trying to make it something new.

do you have any characters that would fit a defensive play in smash 4?

I would suggest diddy kong.

You can be pretty aggressive using bananas and grabs followups.

If your uair is fresh, down throw to uair is a true combo on most chars at KILL percent. That's right, very similar to fox's up throw - uair combo. Even if they VI upwards you can still bait the airdodges and kill pretty easily.

Down tilt to fair is also a true combo ONLY at higher percents.

Considering banana can link to both throws and dtilts... You can be pretty creative on the offensive.
never thought of diddy, i just know his PM is annoying to play against lol. ill try him out!

Mario feels pretty meleeish to me
messed around with mario in the demo and havent touched him sense, ill give him a try in the full game

Last edited by a moderator:

mangamusicfan

Dark lord
NNID
mangamusicfan
3DS FC
1891-2073-5876
You could try:4falcon: hè is far more agesive here then in brawl and hè is quite fast to.
can do some good mix ups.

Liam_Butler

Smash Apprentice
I like playing Marth in Melee, for fun, but I'm terrible as Marth, because of Melee's high execution. Hence why I play Ice Climbers, because they're crazy execution isn't as restrictive and punishing to me. However, in Smash 4, because I know Marth's play style and all his moves, I chose Lucina, because she reminds me most of Melee Marth... Mainly because I can Ken Combo as her, and that feels really satisfying. That's how I came over the character problem. By combining my Melee knowledge (Marth and Ken Combos) and utilizing the new tech in Smash 4 (Lucina and her frame data) Also, Lucina works well for rushdown. As multiple people pointed put, try out Lucina. She's fun. Worst that can happen is you don't like her.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
do you have any characters that would fit a defensive play in smash 4?
Rosalina & Luma excel at this. You can send out a puppet to serve as both a weapon and a damage sponge, and projectiles are nearly completely useless against them.

And the great thing is they also excel at offense, so you can basically come up with various little paradigms or styles of play and switch between them on the fly, to fit the situation.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Pit and Dark Pit are only aggressive when needed, but also only campy when needed. Definitely more passive-aggressive in general, though. I wouldn't recommend them to somebody who liked Melee Marth in terms of playstyle.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
Pit and Dark Pit are only aggressive when needed, but also only campy when needed. Definitely more passive-aggressive in general, though. I wouldn't recommend them to somebody who liked Melee Marth in terms of playstyle.
is there a major difference between them? or is it just preference

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
is there a major difference between them? or is it just preference
Similar enough to where maining one is enough to main both, but they'll play differently because some of their main moves have different functions. Hitboxes, damage, and frame data are the same except for two moves, and knockback is different for another. They're general stats are also the same. Pit seems to be the more balanced of the two, however.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Pit can't really camp by himself, though. He sort of relies on his opponent being a camping character so he can out-camp them with his reflector. And if he can get an opponent into the air, he has some pretty decent chasing aerial options (though the short-duration hitboxes on FAir, BAir, and DAir kind of hurt him). They're just really, really bad for air-to-ground defence due to slight sluggishness and narrow, short-duration hitboxes coupled with slightly late auto-cancel windows and hefty landing lag. In other words, you can't do a retreating FAir from the peak of a short-hop to nail an approaching foe.

Tacticulbacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tacticulbacon
Lucina is basically Marth that caters to a more aggressive playstyle. I've mained Marth since melee and Lucina just feels more satisfying to use.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pit can't really camp by himself, though. He sort of relies on his opponent being a camping character so he can out-camp them with his reflector. And if he can get an opponent into the air, he has some pretty decent chasing aerial options (though the short-duration hitboxes on FAir, BAir, and DAir kind of hurt him). They're just really, really bad for air-to-ground defence due to slight sluggishness and narrow, short-duration hitboxes coupled with slightly late auto-cancel windows and hefty landing lag. In other words, you can't do a retreating FAir from the peak of a short-hop to nail an approaching foe.
You know what I ment... I was just giving a quick overview of the character.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
You like being aggressive and you come from Melee? Then :4falcon: is your man. He's the kind of character with whom you have to be in your opponent's face to win, and he's got some true combos, mêlée style.

atzero

Smash Cadet
I understand completely. I had to embrace a whole new Dr. Mario for this game but I'm loving it. Take your time : )
How is Dr. Mario in this game? I was repulsed by his woeful recovery. Only played him twice. Havent seen much of him on For Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom